DMB and Tim Reynolds' Influence on Pedal Steel - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 08-17-2016, 10:52 AM   #1
thebigcfromnc
Casey James

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

DMB and Tim Reynolds' Influence on Pedal Steel

Hi everyone, I've been on Antsmarching since around 2002 (Y2K era), and figured it was time to make my first post! Better late than never I'm glad to see this place is still thriving and helping out the DMB community, it always has been a great place for DMB fans.

I used to browse here as a kid, and DMB has made a big impact on me then and since. I've been to countless shows, have listened to thousands and thousands of hours of DMB's music, and have been fascinated with the group and its culture. Live at Luther College and BTCS changed my life, as well as the band's live music, and so much else this group has done has really impacted me.

This influence is why I'm writing this post. Almost fifteen years later, I am now a professional pedal steel player in Nashville, TN, and I never would've thought my life would steer in this direction. I owe so much of my musical passion and influences to DMB and Tim Reynolds:

Tim's use of volume pedal swells in an ethereal, atmospheric way is what inspired me to learn pedal steel in the first place. Dave's lyrics inspired me to become a better man and human, and LeRoi's playing touched my soul deeply it still gives me goosebumps to this day.

Anyways, I play pedal steel guitar in a less conventional way than many other players. I feel at home playing rock, blues, singer-songwriter, country, jazz, and really just jamming to any good music Looking back, in retrospect, I can't help but understand and hear how much DMB really has influenced my music and my soul.

So this leads me to ask, can ya'll hear DMB's and/or Tim Reynolds' influence on my pedal steel playing? Here's a link to listen to some improvised samples:
http://playpedalsteel.com/steel-tracks/

Let me know what you think, I am curious to see if others hear this influence too!

Also, feel free to browse the rest of the site, there is a lot of information about pedal steel and playing it. It is a new site, so like it on Facebook if you enjoy it!!! Thanks

Sincerely,
Casey James

Playpedalsteel.com
thebigcfromnc is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-17-2016, 11:27 AM   #2
    RJBorg41

Shows Seen: 82

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Re: DMB and Tim Reynolds' Influence on Pedal Steel

Thanks for sharing that! Man I love me some pedal steel guitar. I met Luke Reynolds currently with Guster used to be in Blue Merle. He plays some mean pedal steel on some his solo albums. Anyways when I met him backstage in Cincinnati at a Guster show. We discussed are love for pedal steel, Nashville and best restaurant in Nashville Mas Tacos. Anyways just thought I would share. You may want to check out some of his stuff if you haven't already. I would love some pedal steel in DMB!!!!!!

Last edited by RJBorg41; 08-17-2016 at 11:28 AM.
    RJBorg41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-18-2016, 04:28 PM   #3
    thebigcfromnc
    Casey James

My Tour Central Stats

That's awesome, thanks for listening!

I'm glad you shared that story and info about Luke, I'll definitely check out some of his solo stuff. That's cool you got to meet him backstage in Cincinnati, I bet that was a sweet show Look forward to hearing him. Does he ever play pedal steel with Guster in the studio or live?

Yea Nashville has a great music scene, a lot of good food and coffee, and a lot of good pedal steel too! Thanks again for listening

Playpedalsteel.com
    Old 08-22-2016, 06:11 PM   #4
    DMB1983

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

I def have thought that about Tims playing at times. He has a great swell with some pedal he uses, and can bend a note til it breaks. Of course when uses the slide I think of it too. I always hoped DMB would break out a few more instruments on an album sometime. Kind of like BTCS, pedal steel would be fantastic on Grace is Gone, cornbread, Louisiana Bayou, and something strange like squirm or minarets.
    DMB1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-22-2016, 06:23 PM   #5
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

I can picture Tim playing DirtRun (Drone) before something like Rhyme and Reason. I've been singing / playing guitar for a while but not sure I would ever be able to figure out this stuff haha, sounding great man. Since you are in Nashville I've got to add you should make a point to check out Ross Livermore, he's a very talented musician who moved to Nashville in the last year or so and great guy. Keep it up!
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-24-2016, 05:08 PM   #6
    thebigcfromnc
    Casey James

My Tour Central Stats

Thanks ya'll - I appreciate the kind words and listening I'll be sure to try and link up with Ross Livermore, thanks for the suggestion!
    The second half of this definitely has a little Tim flare to it -- I recorded this version of Amazing Grace on Pedal Steel last December. Check it out! http://playpedalsteel.com/amazing-grace-pedal-steel/

Playpedalsteel.com