2016 DMB Ticket Sales and Gross Figures - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-08-2016, 02:19 PM   #61
BruceW

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Re: 2016 DMB Ticket Sales and Gross Figures

Quote:
Originally Posted by StolenAway0721 View Post
Seeing numbers like that is upsetting to us here in Raleigh. The last two summers we've had excellent shows with high energy and near capacity, yet got cut for shows that barely hit 5,000? Especially seeing that Charlotte had a great showing, they would be better off adding a 2nd show in NC, preferable Raleigh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpduke5173 View Post
We had a good run there getting 2014/2015 summer stop and Farm aid D&T but I knew it was bound to end. Hope they come back to Walnut Creek in 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by StolenAway0721 View Post
Agreed- I generally thought the shows were high energy and very well-received...I'm wondering if the issues during the Phish show with local police/security accosting fans in lots had anything to do with DMB not playing Walnut Creek...Who knows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
I thought I remember the shows in Raleigh had rather low attendance the last few years. Not as grotesquely low as some of these figures, but Charlotte was still fairly far ahead of Raleigh I think.

One of those shows was a mid-week one though I believe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by garagebrothers View Post
Agreed. I remember having 2 shows every year in Raleigh, then they cut it to one, and then zilch. We had great numbers the last couple times they were here, I was surprised when they decided not to play here again this summer. I'm sure that this has been discussed ad nauseum in other threads, but I'm new here, so I haven't gotten around to reading them all yet :P But IMO, the reason they aren't selling out is that since the early 2000's they have kind of gone onto autopilot. You basically know what you're going to see every nite. As someone else said, there is no new album to draw people, you would think that they would start playing a shit ton of songs that we haven't heard in forever, or be more experimental with their jams like in their earlier years. DMB is far and away my favorite band in the world, but early DMB > present DMB.
Raleigh 2014: 14,181 / 19,980 (Wednesday)
Raleigh 2015: 13,214 / 20,000 (Friday)

Not terrible, not great either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondKnight View Post
It makes me wonder if LiveNation bundles some of these venues together when they negotiate the tour. Management knows there is bank to be made in the traditional markets, but has to agree to some "burn dates" in some of these other ones...

It's the only way I can think of explain 2 shows in Kansas of all places.
I'm pretty sure that's exactly how tour structures work.
BruceW is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-08-2016, 02:40 PM   #62
    thehammer316
    What a Beautiful Buzz

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hahninator View Post
    They don't get a $1,000,000 per show guarantee. There's just no way that's possible if they keep playing these middle of nowhere venues. It's over $500,000 for sure, but I'm not sure how much more. They certainly earn more than $1,000,000 on some of these sold out shows, though.
    I think they get a flat fee to play. Merch is another revenue stream. I don't think they get a cut of concessions or parking. They might but I just don't see that. That being said, the numbers of tickets sold will not equate to them making more money. So, selling out WPB is no different than playing Pelham. This is always how its been described to me.
    Follow us on Tour
    thehammer316 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-08-2016, 03:05 PM   #63
    cjobes

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Atlanta needs 2 nights on the next tour.
    Yeah totally agree but I believe they kind of treat Charlotte and Atlanta as the two night stand down that way. I went to both this year and both were super good. Atlanta was the better show though IMO.
    cjobes is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-08-2016, 03:28 PM   #64
    dmbolp
    GO GATORS!!!

Shows Seen: 150

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
    Raleigh 2014: 14,181 / 19,980 (Wednesday)
    Raleigh 2015: 13,214 / 20,000 (Friday)

Not terrible, not great either.
    For a corporation that is used to selling 95%-100% of inventory, having 33% go unsold is terrible business
    Old 06-08-2016, 04:03 PM   #65
    BruceW

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbolp View Post
    For a corporation that is used to selling 95%-100% of inventory, having 33% go unsold is terrible business

Yea I was trying to be nice. I was just being a contrarian to those who were saying Raleigh was so well attended the last two years, when I knew it wasn't.
    Old 06-08-2016, 05:54 PM   #66
    maumbar

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

They come to AR for personal reasons. They don't care about $ loss.
    maumbar is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-08-2016, 06:55 PM   #67
    BJisBA41

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

I haven't posted/been around here in awhile...but this isn't too shocking to see. I took all of last year off because the set variety was getting totally stagnant.

I was excited to come back and see Sugar Will and Last Stop getting played so I bought tickets to an extra show this year. Last Stop had 3 plays in the first 4 shows, and has been shelved the past 10 in a row.

Look at the last played column on the almanac, and you'll see all the songs played 6 and 7 times out of 13 shows. This band has so many songs in their catalog, but it's like they (or Dave) refuses to mix it up. Setlist writing has become lazy at this point. One liberation here and there is cool, but if a song only gets played once then put away, it's only padding their tour stats saying they played x amount of different songs in a given year.

TL;DR: The variety is in the trash can, has been for the past 3 years, people aren't going to as many shows, attendance is blowing.
    BJisBA41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-08-2016, 07:39 PM   #68
    Mateo2k

Shows Seen: 91

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thehammer316 View Post
    I think they get a flat fee to play. Merch is another revenue stream. I don't think they get a cut of concessions or parking. They might but I just don't see that. That being said, the numbers of tickets sold will not equate to them making more money. So, selling out WPB is no different than playing Pelham. This is always how its been described to me.
    Depends on the band and contract.

Everything is negotiable. Even the ticketmaster fees.
    Mateo2k is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-08-2016, 08:02 PM   #69
    aparker507

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maumbar View Post
    Was this why Dave said I got people here! I thought it was just him being Dave or referencing Jerry since he lives in Arkansas
    Old 06-08-2016, 08:59 PM   #70
    zavdmb

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I haven't posted/been around here in awhile...but this isn't too shocking to see. I took all of last year off because the set variety was getting totally stagnant.<br>
    <br>
    I was excited to come back and see Sugar Will and Last Stop getting played so I bought tickets to an extra show this year. Last Stop had 3 plays in the first 4 shows, and has been shelved the past 10 in a row.<br>
    <br>
    Look at the last played column on the almanac, and you'll see all the songs played 6 and 7 times out of 13 shows. This band has so many songs in their catalog, but it's like they (or Dave) refuses to mix it up. Setlist writing has become lazy at this point. One liberation here and there is cool, but if a song only gets played once then put away, it's only padding their tour stats saying they played x amount of different songs in a given year. <br>
    <br>
    TL;DR: The variety is in the trash can, has been for the past 3 years, people aren't going to as many shows, attendance is blowing.
    That is true but they don't mix it up because they just wanna hit the stage and play. They don't wanna spend time rehearsing and trying to remember their old stuff. You can tell when they try to bring back old stuff Dave isn't comfortable and instead of having fun while playing, they're all trying to remember what comes next in the song. Too far in their career to start bringing back variety, I wish it wasn't that way though.
    zavdmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-09-2016, 05:58 AM   #71
    DMBTattoo
    dmbtattoo.com

Shows Seen: 129

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

2016 DMB Ticket Sales and Gross Figures

Interested to see how the rest of the tour plays out....counting CVille there were 7 shows sold out to start the tour, granted they are smaller places but: Cville, Mansfield, Jones Beach, Lakeview, Both New Hampshire (tiny venue though), Greek N1 (also small)
    It's been a while since the band started a tour with sold out venues.

I wouldn't mind a reformat going forward...play a handful of big venues. 3 night stands (not caravans) and call it a summer. Texas, SPAC, Deer Creek, Alpine, West Palm, Greek, Gorge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DMBTattoo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-09-2016, 06:03 AM   #72
    flutterby

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by maumbar View Post
    Well that's not vague at all. What's the reason? A secret love child?
    Old 06-09-2016, 06:19 AM   #73
    Hilly

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBTattoo View Post
    Interested to see how the rest of the tour plays out....counting CVille there were 7 shows sold out to start the tour, granted they are smaller places but: Cville, Mansfield, Jones Beach, Lakeview, Both New Hampshire (tiny venue though), Greek N1 (also small)
    It's been a while since the band started a tour with sold out venues.

I wouldn't mind a reformat going forward...play a handful of big venues. 3 night stands (not caravans) and call it a summer. Texas, SPAC, Deer Creek, Alpine, West Palm, Greek, Gorge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cut Texas and Alpine crowds have been declining.

2 nights at SPAC, 3 Nights at Gorge. 2 VA shows. End of tour.
    Old 06-09-2016, 06:59 AM   #74
    RiotAct

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

3-night stand at Darien Lake would be swell, too.

07.18.2019 - R.I.P. Last Stop jam/reprise
    RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-09-2016, 01:02 PM   #75
    monizzle145

Shows Seen: 52

My Tour Central Stats

Instead of doing the deep south they should do arena shows in the northeast to start off the tour and then come back a few months later and do outdoor venues like hartford spac mansfield etc etc. The band could easily get more people midweek in Newark or Barclays or Mohegan Sun than they could in Kansas, OKC, Little Rock etc.
    monizzle145 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-09-2016, 01:03 PM   #76
    Hilly

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Here's hoping for the return of the acoustic set in 2018 to help boost those ticket sales!
    Old 06-09-2016, 02:11 PM   #77
    chemcaj
    Mel

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post
    I'd be fine if they dropped Arkansas/Oklahoma/Kansas and just went to two night stands in TX. Woodlands X2/Dallas X2.

Yes.. this please... especially since Woodlands is my home venue

Some of my music: http://www.youtube.com/user/MelBroussard
    chemcaj is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-09-2016, 06:09 PM   #78
    garagebrothers

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BJisBA41 View Post
    I haven't posted/been around here in awhile...but this isn't too shocking to see. I took all of last year off because the set variety was getting totally stagnant.

I was excited to come back and see Sugar Will and Last Stop getting played so I bought tickets to an extra show this year. Last Stop had 3 plays in the first 4 shows, and has been shelved the past 10 in a row.

Look at the last played column on the almanac, and you'll see all the songs played 6 and 7 times out of 13 shows. This band has so many songs in their catalog, but it's like they (or Dave) refuses to mix it up. Setlist writing has become lazy at this point. One liberation here and there is cool, but if a song only gets played once then put away, it's only padding their tour stats saying they played x amount of different songs in a given year.

Exactly what I referenced earlier. It's sad to me really that it has become that way, you would think that they would want to continue to sell out shows and bring in new fans. You think it is solely them being lazy? You think anything is going to change with them in that regard? Shit, if you are playing new songs you have to practice those, why not bust out a few old tunes that everyone is dying to hear?
    garagebrothers is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-09-2016, 07:04 PM   #79
    BruceW

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hilly View Post
    Here's hoping for the return of the acoustic set in 2018 to help boost those ticket sales!

No, God please no. I know you're being sarcastic, so I agree with your true feelings here.

If they want to play a small theater acoustic spring or fall tour at some point, fine. But no way do I want two sets again.
    Old 06-10-2016, 08:42 AM   #80
    DaveHead77
    Saw LS teased 2x n 2wks

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

I'm from & currently live in Nashville. The chances of them playing in Knoxville are the same of them playing Trax in Charlottesville.
    Quote:
    ATL and CLT representing the southeast well. maybe there's hope again for Knoxville, TN, my hometown. It's a university town and the basketball arena holds 18,000. Haven't had a hometown dmb show since 2001. I could see a lot of fans coming from Alabama, Louisiana, Kentucky, etc.<br>
    coming up for it, especially on a weekend. I get tired of seeing country acts playing at Thompson Boling Arena so bring back DMB!<br>
    <br>
    Dmb Gorge 2016!
    DaveHead77 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-10-2016, 08:44 AM   #81
    aparker507

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

I really can't believe they skip Nashville. Vandy was amazing
    Old 06-10-2016, 08:51 AM   #82
    DaveHead77
    Saw LS teased 2x n 2wks

My Tour Central Stats

He said that in AR?? Daves said that multiple times the last 2 summers in Atlanta. That kinda stings to hear he says that in other cities.
    Quote:
    <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->
    <div class="pre-quote">
    Quote de <strong>maumbar</strong>
    </div>

<div class="post-quote">
    <div style="font-style:italic">They come to AR for personal reasons. They don't care about $ loss.</div>
    </div>
    <!-- END TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->Was this why Dave said I got people here! I thought it was just him being Dave or referencing Jerry since he lives in Arkansas
    Old 06-10-2016, 09:14 AM   #83
    dklein
    DMBfan in TN

Shows Seen: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveHead77 View Post
    I'm from & currently live in Nashville. The chances of them playing in Knoxville are the same of them playing Trax in Charlottesville.
    If they can play a 8,000 person amphitheater in Tuscaloosa, a college town, they can certainly play at Thompson Boling Arena in Knoxville that sits 18,000. They sold it out before when they played there. It'd also be a better fit than some of the MS venues. Knoxville is a day's drive from half of the U.S. population.

Dmb Gorge 2016!
    dklein is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-10-2016, 10:00 AM   #84
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aparker507 View Post
    I really can't believe they skip Nashville. Vandy was amazing
    That's what I keep thinking back to. I'm not sure why they don't ever come to Nashville anymore. That Vandy show sold well and it was really, really great. Nashville has plenty of venues and seems like such a great market.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dklein View Post
    If they can play a 8,000 person amphitheater in Tuscaloosa, a college town, they can certainly play at Thompson Boling Arena in Knoxville that sits 18,000. They sold it out before when they played there. It'd also be a better fit than some of the MS venues. Knoxville is a day's drive from half of the U.S. population.
    Yeah the MS/Memphis venue they (did) play is the worst. I've been to a few other shows there and I absolutely hate the venue. You have to pee in bushes or stand in line for 45 minutes. I'd much rather make the extra drive to see them at a good venue in Nashville.
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-10-2016, 11:07 AM   #85
    DaveHead77
    Saw LS teased 2x n 2wks

My Tour Central Stats

I went to this jazz benefit show that Jeff Coffin played at here in Nash (fyi, Jeff is from here) & talked to him before the show, and asked him why they don't play here anymore. His exact quote was, "where would we play?" They could play Vandy again but other then that, there's no outdoor venue that would be worth their trouble. (And no Ascend Amp. is wayyyy too small)
    Quote:
    <div class="pre-quote">
    Quote de <strong>aparker507</strong>
    </div>

<div class="post-quote">
    <div style="font-style:italic">I really can't believe they skip Nashville. Vandy was amazing</div>
    </div>
    <!-- END TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->That's what I keep thinking back to. I'm not sure why they don't ever come to Nashville anymore. That Vandy show sold well and it was really, really great. Nashville has plenty of venues and seems like such a great market. <br>
    <br>
    <div class="pre-quote">
    Quote de <strong>dklein</strong>
    </div>

<div class="post-quote">
    <div style="font-style:italic">If they can play a 8,000 person amphitheater in Tuscaloosa, a college town, they can certainly play at Thompson Boling Arena in Knoxville that sits 18,000. They sold it out before when they played there. It'd also be a better fit than some of the MS venues. Knoxville is a day's drive from half of the U.S. population.</div>
    </div>
    <!-- END TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->Yeah the MS/Memphis venue they (did) play is the worst. I've been to a few other shows there and I absolutely hate the venue. You have to pee in bushes or stand in line for 45 minutes. I'd much rather make the extra drive to see them at a good venue in Nashville.
    Old 06-10-2016, 11:09 AM   #86
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by flutterby View Post
    Well that's not vague at all. What's the reason? A secret love child?
    Because I'm here. Duh
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-10-2016, 12:36 PM   #87
    davem#36

Shows Seen: 78

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Atl coming in clutch like they do year after year. Damn it I wish we could have a 2nighter in Alpharetta again!!!

What an amazing 20 years.
    ‘24 ALPHA/ALPINE
    davem#36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-10-2016, 12:42 PM   #88
    Hahninator
    Dreaming Tree

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveHead77 View Post
    (And no Ascend Amp. is wayyyy too small
    It isn't "wayyyy" too small. Ascend Amphitheatre is 6,800. Tuscaloosa Amphitheatre is 7,470. Tuscaloosa show was not sold out either. Ascend is not a stretch for them to play at all.

If they disagree for some odd reason, then play Bridgestone Arena. They play arenas in other cities. Holds as many as Philips Arena.
    Hahninator is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-10-2016, 02:13 PM   #89
    flutterby

Shows Seen: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post
    Because I'm here. Duh

Are YOU the secret love child????
    Old 06-10-2016, 02:13 PM   #90
    Hands

Shows Seen: 42

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hahninator View Post
    It isn't "wayyyy" too small. Ascend Amphitheatre is 6,800. Tuscaloosa Amphitheatre is 7,470. Tuscaloosa show was not sold out either. Ascend is not a stretch for them to play at all.

If they disagree for some odd reason, then play Bridgestone Arena. They play arenas in other cities. Holds as many as Philips Arena.
    Didn't Phish play Ascend like a year or two ago ? I know Buffett played there this summer already as well. If those two can no reason DMB can't.
    Hands is offline   Reply With Quote