Weightlifting - Page 179 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 11-11-2014, 08:55 AM   #5341
cry_minarets458
MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Weightlifting

So, when I began clinical rotations back at the end of August, I was barely able to devote any time to the gym, due to how demanding my first two rotations were (one rotation, I worked 28 days straight...my only days off were the Gorge, and they came right at the beginning of that rotation....10-15 hour days x 28 days in a row....then my 2nd rotation, I had weekends off, but when you're doing 16 hour days, all you want to do is sleep on weekends ). ...well, I got the hardest two out of the way! I'm on week 3 of consistent lifting and it feels great to just be driven to wake up and go to the gym...loving it right now. In 3 weeks, I've made some nice gains to get back on the routine, so my workouts are becoming longer, which is great. no where near where I was back four years ago during my senior year of college, but I'm getting there. When I graduate my grad program in August, I'll be able to hit it even harder. Can't wait to just have a job and then can work out around that, instead of having to work out around classroom or rotation work, studying outside of that, and then part-time jobs. I'm really excited. Can't wait

Fun fact: no on any pre-workout right now either...that was something I NEEDED back in senior year, especially getting back into lifting. I'm happy with my current mindset
*renounces DMB fandom*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime Minister
In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.

Last edited by cry_minarets458; 11-11-2014 at 08:56 AM.
cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 11-11-2014, 10:12 AM   #5342
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cry_minarets458 View Post
    So, when I began clinical rotations back at the end of August, I was barely able to devote any time to the gym, due to how demanding my first two rotations were (one rotation, I worked 28 days straight...my only days off were the Gorge, and they came right at the beginning of that rotation....10-15 hour days x 28 days in a row....then my 2nd rotation, I had weekends off, but when you're doing 16 hour days, all you want to do is sleep on weekends ). ...well, I got the hardest two out of the way! I'm on week 3 of consistent lifting and it feels great to just be driven to wake up and go to the gym...loving it right now. In 3 weeks, I've made some nice gains to get back on the routine, so my workouts are becoming longer, which is great. no where near where I was back four years ago during my senior year of college, but I'm getting there. When I graduate my grad program in August, I'll be able to hit it even harder. Can't wait to just have a job and then can work out around that, instead of having to work out around classroom or rotation work, studying outside of that, and then part-time jobs. I'm really excited. Can't wait

Fun fact: no on any pre-workout right now either...that was something I NEEDED back in senior year, especially getting back into lifting. I'm happy with my current mindset
    This is my biggest challenge. Over the summer when I was interning at the local prosecutor's office, it was a 9-5 gig. When I can get in a set schedule/routine, that's when I thrive with exercising. Being at school, having clinic and actual client responsibilities is much too predictable to really schedule any types of workouts around, especially with two other 3-credit classes during the week as well. If I really wanted to figure it out, I probably could, but I hate going to the gym for a week where I have time but then having to stop again. It's like once I get rolling in a routine I'm fine, but when it's sporadic and varied, I hate it.
    Old 11-11-2014, 10:20 AM   #5343
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

My Tour Central Stats

I hear ya, boss. gains wait for no one. it's much easier to hunt them down when you have your life on a schedule.
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Old 11-13-2014, 12:25 PM   #5344
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

My Tour Central Stats

Today's my off day. Gonna start a specific push pull routine with legs on a third day and then my rest day will just be abs at home lol

Who's got a good push pull routine for me to try?
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Old 11-13-2014, 01:08 PM   #5345
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

I was in the best shape of my life this past spring and summer. Starting last January I got on a really great regiment and didn't stop. I lost 30 lbs. (which I didn't even know I had that many to lose LOL), felt great and looked great. Then the week of my wedding hit..........since then I'm pretty sure I have gained EVERYTHING back. Week of my wedding hit and I said, "you know what? I've worked my ass off for 7 months and deserve a week off to eat like crazy and enjoy myself". I figured I'd workout on my honeymoon, yeah that never happened. I worked out, but it didn't involve a gym or weights HAHA. Got home for a week or two and had to get ready for our big move to Cleveland which caused more interruptions. Got to Cleveland and for 3 months have just lost all motivation to workout. My old schedule was perfect. I went to work at 8, ate at noon, went down to the gym in the building at 1 and worked out for an hour, then came back up to work my last few hours. Now I have to drive 20 minutes in the opposite direction of my office to the only gym I can afford and get up at 6 to do it. Either that or I have to go at the end of the day which wouldn't get me home until between 7-8. Sucks. If there were a more convenient gym I'd be going for sure. I'm hoping I get a new job soon (had to take the only one that was offered to me) and hopefully be able to get back into a better routine. I miss the gym and how good I felt.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-13-2014, 09:15 PM   #5346
    fridge112887
    William Perry

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Today's my off day. Gonna start a specific push pull routine with legs on a third day and then my rest day will just be abs at home lol

Who's got a good push pull routine for me to try?
    My push/pull workouts are frequently changing, but they mainly consist of:

Pull - deadlifts (heavy and low reps), Kroc rows or Pendlay rows, weighted chin ups from a DEAD HANG (don't cheat yourself - come to a complete stop with full extension of your arms), farmer carries (muscles involved in pull lifts as well as glutes/lower), and the occasional T-Bar row

Push - Dumbbell bench (I like the contraction at the top using DB's versus barbell and I have a much better stretch), weighted dips, incline Hammer Strength, barbell overhead press, triangle push-ups
    Old 11-13-2014, 09:18 PM   #5347
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

I just started "talking" to a girl that competes in bikini competitions the other day. We've been texting back and forth and it sounds like we're going to meet up here soon. She's in serious shape - better than most guys at my gym. I need to up the ante.
    Old 11-14-2014, 11:12 AM   #5348
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fridge112887 View Post
    My push/pull workouts are frequently changing, but they mainly consist of:

Pull - deadlifts (heavy and low reps), Kroc rows or Pendlay rows, weighted chin ups from a DEAD HANG (don't cheat yourself - come to a complete stop with full extension of your arms), farmer carries (muscles involved in pull lifts as well as glutes/lower), and the occasional T-Bar row

Push - Dumbbell bench (I like the contraction at the top using DB's versus barbell and I have a much better stretch), weighted dips, incline Hammer Strength, barbell overhead press, triangle push-ups

Thanks I'm gonna try a variation of this with some suggestions from the top of this page. Thanks! Will let you know how it goes!
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Old 11-14-2014, 11:12 AM   #5349
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I just started "talking" to a girl that competes in bikini competitions the other day. We've been texting back and forth and it sounds like we're going to meet up here soon. She's in serious shape - better than most guys at my gym. I need to up the ante.

She's gon break yo dick
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Old 11-15-2014, 08:38 PM   #5350
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

I need a change of scenery at the gym and have been toying with the idea of re-joining LA Fitness. I've paid the start-up fee once. Does anyone know if I have to repay it again? To me, it's ridiculous to be charged another $100 something just to begin again but I wouldn't be too surprised if that were the case.
    Old 11-18-2014, 07:41 PM   #5351
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

My Tour Central Stats

just completed day 2 of push/pull routine:

day 1 yesterday
    -dumbbell incline press
    -tricep rope cables
    -dumbbell shoulder press
    -dumbbell flat press
    -tricep bar cables
    -dumbbell lat raises
    -dumbbell flys
    -dumbbell forward raises
    -tricep single arm cables
    -dumbbell pullovers
    -hammer strength incline burnout
    -hammer strength shoulder press burnout

day 2 today
    -deadlift
    -dumbbell bicep curl
    -lat pulldowns
    -dumbbell hammer curls
    -cable rows
    -cable bicep curl single arm
    -single arm row over a bench
    -cable bicep curls both arms burnout

during these two days at the gym, I haven't felt as winded throughout my work out, but I felt like my weights were up more than usual...maybe it's just my body getting back to the grind, so i'll def push myself harder next time. tomorrow is legs...can't wait.
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Old 11-19-2014, 09:58 AM   #5352
    RAPUNZEL13
    They Attack!

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

I'm afraid to do deadlifts. My lower back has been terrible lately. I want to do it because I think it would help strengthen it.
    Old 11-19-2014, 10:11 AM   #5353
    DirtyJersey
    The 856

Shows Seen: 82

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Try trap bar deadlifts if your gym has one. A little bit easier on the spine and good for people recovering from injuries.
    DirtyJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-20-2014, 11:56 AM   #5354
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

I've mentioned that I'm trying to lose a little belly so my pants will fit better (seems they've gotten a little tight in the waist in the past 6 months). My mom believes that it's purely because I've been working out so much more this past year (and ironically, especially in the past 6 months). Is that completely plausible? Or is it because I'm a fatty in disguise?
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-20-2014, 12:06 PM   #5355
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    I've mentioned that I'm trying to lose a little belly so my pants will fit better (seems they've gotten a little tight in the waist in the past 6 months). My mom believes that it's purely because I've been working out so much more this past year (and ironically, especially in the past 6 months). Is that completely plausible? Or is it because I'm a fatty in disguise?
    Bro, you're preaching to the choir here. I'm in a constant battle/influx with my waistline. Adding mass generally to your frame could make you widen out, sure, especially if you've been lifting a lot of legs. If you're concerned you're bulking up too much, drop your weights on exercises and increase your reps for a month or two and see if that makes a difference, might lean you out a little bit.
    Old 11-24-2014, 04:40 PM   #5356
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

My Tour Central Stats

started my fourth week...I disbanded push/pull already...did not feel beat up after it so it makes me feel like id idn't make gains. so idk

today's chest workout was awesome. really pushed myself...in 3 weeks, I've increased my dumbbell presses by like 25 pounds...so I'm getting back to form.
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Old 11-24-2014, 07:15 PM   #5357
    artiej1120

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Pinched a nerve in my lower back and haven't been able to do shit for 4 days. Really hoping it feels better soon because I was in a serious groove at the gym.
    artiej1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-24-2014, 08:19 PM   #5358
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    started my fourth week...I disbanded push/pull already...did not feel beat up after it so it makes me feel like id idn't make gains. so idk

today's chest workout was awesome. really pushed myself...in 3 weeks, I've increased my dumbbell presses by like 25 pounds...so I'm getting back to form.
    Just because you didn't feel a workout doesn't mean you aren't benefiting from it. How long were you trying it?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by artiej1120 View Post
    Pinched a nerve in my lower back and haven't been able to do shit for 4 days. Really hoping it feels better soon because I was in a serious groove at the gym.
    That's never enjoyable. I've wrecked myself five times now. Does it bother you turning a certain way or to sit down for extended periods of time? Usually for me it'll last exactly seven days. This recent one......since July 26th

Random side note: Kodiak Cakes =

Last edited by fridge112887; 11-24-2014 at 08:20 PM.
    fridge112887 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-24-2014, 08:27 PM   #5359
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Just because you didn't feel a workout doesn't mean you aren't benefiting from it. How long were you trying it?
    did two cycles through it in one week. i'll revisit it later when I have more time...coming up on the end of my rotation and will be relocating to new gym. disbanded this week since I'm not going to be on the same day schedule, I want to make sure I'm feeling my healing process!
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Old 11-24-2014, 08:45 PM   #5360
    artiej1120

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That's never enjoyable. I've wrecked myself five times now. Does it bother you turning a certain way or to sit down for extended periods of time? Usually for me it'll last exactly seven days. This recent one......since July 26th
    It will randomly flare up if I step a certain way, lean wrong, bend. Other times I'll feel totally fine. When I'm resting it usually feels fine. It's definitely getting better but I don't want to chance it.
    artiej1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-24-2014, 11:42 PM   #5361
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    did two cycles through it in one week. i'll revisit it later when I have more time...coming up on the end of my rotation and will be relocating to new gym. disbanded this week since I'm not going to be on the same day schedule, I want to make sure I'm feeling my healing process!
    Patience is key. Give things at least a month minimum before you call it quits.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by artiej1120 View Post
    It will randomly flare up if I step a certain way, lean wrong, bend. Other times I'll feel totally fine. When I'm resting it usually feels fine. It's definitely getting better but I don't want to chance it.
    Definitely take it easy. Having been down that road far too many times myself, I can tell you that rushing back is an awful idea. Try to eliminate, or at least limit, whatever aggravates the pain. I've been stuck on a bed for a week a handful of times due to my dumbass jacking up my back. Not fun.
    Old 11-25-2014, 06:06 AM   #5362
    RAPUNZEL13
    They Attack!

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DirtyJersey View Post
    Try trap bar deadlifts if your gym has one. A little bit easier on the spine and good for people recovering from injuries.
    I'll give it a shot.
    Old 11-25-2014, 06:14 AM   #5363
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah, be careful with anything back-related. I slipped a disc when I was 19 and it required surgery (between L4 and L5 vertebrae). My brother just did something similar, but not quite as severe, about a month ago, and has been in considerable pain.

I don't mean to frighten you by telling you this, but just be careful. Give yourself plenty of time to rest. Losing a few weeks or months of exercise is well worth the sacrifice for not having serious back issues going forward.
    Old 11-25-2014, 09:12 AM   #5364
    ukcanes

Shows Seen: 94

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DirtyJersey View Post
    Any other suggestions since the 24hr fit I go to doesn't have a trap bar?
    ukcanes is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-25-2014, 10:24 AM   #5365
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by M. Steng View Post
    Yeah, be careful with anything back-related. I slipped a disc when I was 19 and it required surgery (between L4 and L5 vertebrae). My brother just did something similar, but not quite as severe, about a month ago, and has been in considerable pain.

I don't mean to frighten you by telling you this, but just be careful. Give yourself plenty of time to rest. Losing a few weeks or months of exercise is well worth the sacrifice for not having serious back issues going forward.
    How could you tell you had slipped a disc? What was the pain like? What triggered it?
    Old 11-25-2014, 11:10 AM   #5366
    M. Steng
    Empowered & Informed.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    How could you tell you had slipped a disc? What was the pain like? What triggered it?
    The pain was honestly excruciating. I didn't feel the worst pain until the day after, though. I know for sure I tweaked it when I was doing clean and presses; I felt some serious soreness that night but thought it was muscular, took Advil, iced, and thought it would get better in a few days. The next morning, I woke up, sat on the edge of my bed to try to put my socks on when my entire back seized up, I fell to the floor screaming in pain. Probably the worst pain I've ever experienced in my entire life, and that's coming from a guy who's dislocated his shoulder twice and had 40 stitches in his forehead after a head-to-head collision.
    Old 11-29-2014, 05:59 PM   #5367
    kydmb99
    Jorts

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Looking to start lifting this winter and was needing some tips on what muscles to work out together and how many times per week. Also needing some advice on what supplements work and how best to use them. Any examples of workout schedules/supplements you use would be greatly appreciated!
    kydmb99 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-29-2014, 06:38 PM   #5368
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kydmb99 View Post
    Looking to start lifting this winter and was needing some tips on what muscles to work out together and how many times per week. Also needing some advice on what supplements work and how best to use them. Any examples of workout schedules/supplements you use would be greatly appreciated!
    Ahh, the joys of being a newbie! I'd love to go back to the beginning and start fresh. First off, congratulations on your decision. Your health is your most valuable possession. It truly is the fountain of youth. Second, once you've committed and set foot inside of a gym, the rest is a piece of cake. Taking that first initial step is sometimes the most difficult part. Third, and most important, keep your workouts simple to start with. What are your goals? I strongly believe as a beginner you should focus entirely on your main lifts (squat, deadlift, overhead press, etc) and eventually branch off from there. Strengthen your foundation first. A solid routine to start with would be "Starting Strength". Google or YouTube Mark Rippetoe to learn both the routine and form. Stick with this (workouts will be every other day) for at least a month. Evaluate your numbers and go from there.

As far as the supplements go, you first have to nail your diet. Supplements mean nothing if you aren't feeding yourself properly. Supplements are meant to aid your diet and fill any gaps. There are no miracle products on the market but if I were to suggest one supp that has been scientifically proven time after time, that would be creatine.

Best of luck!
    Old 12-02-2014, 08:05 AM   #5369
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

You hear a lot of talk about seeing results in the mirror but not a lot about results in the gym. This morning I was able to (for the second chest day in a row) to bench a weight 8 unassisted reps twice that I couldn't do 4 reps of with assistance 3 months ago. That's the kind of results I like to see. It's good to know all the work I'm putting in and I'm actually getting stronger.
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-02-2014, 08:31 PM   #5370
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    You hear a lot of talk about seeing results in the mirror but not a lot about results in the gym. This morning I was able to (for the second chest day in a row) to bench a weight 8 unassisted reps twice that I couldn't do 4 reps of with assistance 3 months ago. That's the kind of results I like to see. It's good to know all the work I'm putting in and I'm actually getting stronger.
    When you say "second chest day in a row", do you mean since your last time hitting it or you trained it yesterday (Monday) and again today? I'm curious to see how both a beginner and advanced lifter would respond to nearly identical workouts 2+ days in a row.

Otherwise