ESPN layoffs commence today - Page 13 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 04-28-2017, 07:11 PM   #361
TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ESPN layoffs commence today

Quote:
Originally Posted by recentlyJTR41 View Post
I know Twitter is the barometer (I guess?) with my generation, but it blows my mind how hard companies such as ESPN bend over backwards to clearly appeal to a race that makes up like 13% of the population. Is it white guilt? Probably, but I think older people just assume everyone under 30 acts the same. Reminds me of r/fellowkids.

SC6 is clearly a black, hip hop themed show. How is that going to attract anyone over 30 and not black? Fwiw, I love Gucci and Outkast so it's not like I'm some honky who just listens to Kenny G. It's like if you had a sports show that's hippie themed with Steal Your Faces and Dead lyrics everywhere That appeals to like 2% of the population.

They have gone so far left they are parading their white guilt like it's nothing.

I mean it's nothing more than numbers I'm sure. Those were probably the only people still watching so they curtailed to them.

No need to make it a race issue. It's just the direction they went. It's not white guilt. That's the biggest load of bullshit that's gets spewed across many platforms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 04-28-2017, 07:15 PM   #362
    rickyh24
    GOAT

Shows Seen: 76

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

What will she call Gordon Hayward if he decides to stick with the Jazz?
    rickyh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-28-2017, 07:15 PM   #363
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
    Jemelle Hill firing back at Boston radio host

http://brobible.com/sports/article/j...k-boston-host/
    If I was a "celebrity" I would NEVER call into a Boston/New York/Philly sports radio show and confront the host. They don't give a fucking shit about anything
    Old 04-28-2017, 07:16 PM   #364
    CrashTheStone41
    Cordially Invited

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Anybody know if Jessica Mendoza has been canned? She is ruining Sunday Night Baseball for me

CrashTheStone41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-28-2017, 07:18 PM   #365
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
    I mean it's nothing more than numbers I'm sure. Those were probably the only people still watching so they curtailed to them.

No need to make it a race issue. It's just the direction they went. It's not white guilt. That's the biggest load of bullshit that's gets spewed across many platforms.
    I'm not being racial or anything it's just true. She did the fucking black power fist in the commerical promoting it This is America I don't give a shit what you say or do on TV. It's dog shit television and yeah it's definitely white guilt. ESPN is too left wing not to be. That's where their SJW boner gets the hardest.
    Old 04-28-2017, 07:18 PM   #366
    rickyh24
    GOAT

My Tour Central Stats

ESPN layoffs commence today

Quote:
    If I was a "celebrity" I would NEVER call into a Boston/New York/Philly sports radio show and confront the host. They don't give a fucking shit about anything

Once you compare rooting for a Boston team to rooting for Hitler it's probably not a great career move to call in to a Boston station. I get why she's not calling in but she shouldn't be playing the "say it to my face" card on twitter with a Boston sports radio host. When all he has to say is "well call the show". It just makes her look even worse.
    Old 04-28-2017, 07:19 PM   #367
    Lee3691

Shows Seen: 129

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrashTheStone41 View Post
    Anybody know if Jessica Mendoza has been canned? She is ruining Sunday Night Baseball for me
    She's bad. She acts like she won the lottery when doing the job (which she kind of did)

Looks like Marc Stein and Chad Ford also out....
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-28-2017, 07:20 PM   #368
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickyh24 View Post
    Once you compare rooting for a Boston team to rooting for Hitler it's probably not a great career move to call in to a Boston station. I get why she's not calling in but she shouldn't be playing the "say it to my face" card on twitter with a Boston sports radio host. When all he has to say is "well call the show". It just makes her look even worse.
    Exactly. Why should he say it to her face? Is she going to fight him or something? lol
    Old 04-28-2017, 07:25 PM   #369
    kydmb99
    Jorts

Shows Seen: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Chad Ford also let go. Wow. ESPN just getting rid of "non-personalities"
    kydmb99 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-28-2017, 07:25 PM   #370
    rickyh24
    GOAT

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Exactly. Why should he say it to her face? Is she going to fight him or something? lol

I love some of her followers "stop picking on her cause she's black!!!"

No idiots. She compared rooting for the Celtics to rooting for Hitler. That's the main reason this host (who I also think is an idiot) is coming at her. Secondary reason is Her show is awful and knowledgeable writers like stark are being canned. Nothing to do with her race but that's always a fun card to play. Stay woke.
    Old 04-28-2017, 07:27 PM   #371
    CrashTheStone41
    Cordially Invited

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lee3691 View Post
    She's bad. She acts like she won the lottery when doing the job (which she kind of did)

Looks like Marc Stein and Chad Ford also out....
    She doesn't bring anything to the table and her voice is not suited for broadcasting. I always get drawn in to games when the people commentating have soothing voices (like Pat Foley from the Blackhawks). Her voice makes me cringe.

CrashTheStone41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-28-2017, 07:28 PM   #372
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickyh24 View Post
    I love some of her followers "stop picking on her cause she's black!!!"

No idiots. She compared rooting for the Celtics to rooting for Hitler. That's the main reason this host (who I also think is an idiot) is coming at her. Secondary reason is Her show is awful and knowledgeable writers like stark are being canned. Nothing to do with her race but that's always a fun card to play. Stay woke.
    Of course. What else would she say?

Yeah I'm still bummed Stark got let go. Really hoping MLB or Fox picks him up. He's way too good. Loved him on the Baseball Tonight podcast.
    Old 04-29-2017, 12:56 AM   #373
    spoot388

Shows Seen: 94

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aeroshady View Post
    Lot of good posts.

This one stands out to me though because it doesn't mention soccer. Every kid plays soccer growing up just like basketball or football. For that reason, I don't believe it is a fringe sport in America. It has easily been the fastest growing sport in the US over the last decade.

not a ton of kids played soccer when i was growing up 20 years ago. i know things are different now, but its not like it just changed overnight. soccer is in a transition period right now, and will be for a while. yes, it is the fastest growing sport in the country, but it still has a long way to go to get on the same footing as the NHL and NBA, let alone the NFL and MLB.

while it might be very popular with kids today, the people who would be paying to go see a game are the ones who were growing up when soccer most definitely was a fringe sport. even though soccer was always more accessible than hockey and car racing, nobody cared about soccer. it was a european sport, and hardly anyone payed attention to it.

we won't truly know where soccer stands for probably another 20 years, when the kids growing up playing now are adults and buying tickets. if you do some reading, you'll find that MLS' attendance numbers aren't always what they seem to be. MLS has a lot of room for growth, but it also needs to do a lot of growing to be considered one of the major sports.
    Old 04-29-2017, 06:55 AM   #374
    BotheLaneFan
    I AM the FBI

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mthawk07 View Post
    Mark May was let go. About time!
    Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooo!!!! Who will tell me USC will win it all every year?!

The plot is always moving forward.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    So is a glacier.
    BotheLaneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-29-2017, 07:16 AM   #375
    SmoothG

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

How the heck can they get rid of so many people and stephen a smith still has a job.

I'm saltiest about Andy Katz.

What a terrible terrible organisation.
    SmoothG is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-29-2017, 07:22 AM   #376
    BotheLaneFan
    I AM the FBI

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SmoothG View Post
    How the heck can they get rid of so many people and stephen a smith still has a job.

I'm saltiest about Andy Katz.

What a terrible terrible organisation.
    Because it would probably cost more to fire him, and he has a rabid fanbase (which admittedly has grossly evaporated after losing Skip - the true star.)

The plot is always moving forward.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    So is a glacier.
    BotheLaneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-29-2017, 07:23 AM   #377
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spoot388 View Post
    not a ton of kids played soccer when i was growing up 20 years ago. i know things are different now, but its not like it just changed overnight. soccer is in a transition period right now, and will be for a while. yes, it is the fastest growing sport in the country, but it still has a long way to go to get on the same footing as the NHL and NBA, let alone the NFL and MLB.

while it might be very popular with kids today, the people who would be paying to go see a game are the ones who were growing up when soccer most definitely was a fringe sport. even though soccer was always more accessible than hockey and car racing, nobody cared about soccer. it was a european sport, and hardly anyone payed attention to it.

we won't truly know where soccer stands for probably another 20 years, when the kids growing up playing now are adults and buying tickets. if you do some reading, you'll find that MLS' attendance numbers aren't always what they seem to be. MLS has a lot of room for growth, but it also needs to do a lot of growing to be considered one of the major sports.
    Interesting, how old are you? I ask because I am in my 30's and 20 years ago when I was growing up and in grade school everyone played soccer. My cousins played in North Carolina as well as my family in Texas, and I grew up in NJ. So I am confused as to how our experiences were so different.

I do agree that most kids who played soccer didn't follow it at all. There was always one or two that everyone else ignored when they talked about it.

That said, I think the growth in soccer in this country is in the form of viewership, not in participation (at least at the youth level). I think maybe the difference is that now that soccer is shown here in the US in many forms, it has encouraged kids to keep playing the sport now.
    Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
    This might be one of the single greatest solo posting performances in NHL Thread history. Well done, Greg, and congrats on the win. Was a fun game.
    aeroshady is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-29-2017, 07:24 AM   #378
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BotheU2Fan View Post
    Because it would probably cost more to fire him, and he has a rabid fanbase (which admittedly has grossly evaporated after losing Skip - the true star.)
    I read somewhere that they would have to buy out his contract...for the tune of 3.5 million. So yeah, he would cost too much to fire.
    This might be one of the single greatest solo posting performances in NHL Thread history. Well done, Greg, and congrats on the win. Was a fun game.
    Old 04-29-2017, 07:45 AM   #379
    SmoothG

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BotheU2Fan View Post
    Quote:
    I read somewhere that they would have to buy out his contract...for the tune of 3.5 million. So yeah, he would cost too much to fire.
    $3.5 million? I bet we could start a go fund me, I'd chip in. Skip is also turrible.

Quote:
    Interesting, how old are you? I ask because I am in my 30's and 20 years ago when I was growing up and in grade school everyone played soccer. My cousins played in North Carolina as well as my family in Texas, and I grew up in NJ. So I am confused as to how our experiences were so different.

I do agree that most kids who played soccer didn't follow it at all. There was always one or two that everyone else ignored when they talked about it.

That said, I think the growth in soccer in this country is in the form of viewership, not in participation (at least at the youth level). I think maybe the difference is that now that soccer is shown here in the US in many forms, it has encouraged kids to keep playing the sport now.
    Almost everyone I knew growing up played soccer at some point, but eventually decided on another sport. Not an original thought obviously, but good athletes have always and will always decide to focus on a sport where they have a chance of being rich and famous. American soccer really needs a few things...a better system to keep the young talent from leaving, more money spent on coaching and facilities at the youth level, more exposure and hype on tv (not just the games, but more time on sports talk shows) and they really need to develop a world class player who people can follow. Landon Donovan was close but imo he wasn't good enough or really likeable.
    SmoothG is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-29-2017, 08:08 AM   #380
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SmoothG View Post
    $3.5 million? I bet we could start a go fund me, I'd chip in. Skip is also turrible.

Almost everyone I knew growing up played soccer at some point, but eventually decided on another sport. Not an original thought obviously, but good athletes have always and will always decide to focus on a sport where they have a chance of being rich and famous. American soccer really needs a few things...a better system to keep the young talent from leaving, more money spent on coaching and facilities at the youth level, more exposure and hype on tv (not just the games, but more time on sports talk shows) and they really need to develop a world class player who people can follow. Landon Donovan was close but imo he wasn't good enough or really likeable.
    Totally agree. If US soccer had a Messi or Ronaldo type player, the sport would skyrocket in popularity. We like to be the best here, so far, our men's team just doesn't represent that.
    Old 04-29-2017, 10:59 AM   #381
    smokew11
    1-0

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Totally agree. If US soccer had a Messi or Ronaldo type player, the sport would skyrocket in popularity. We like to be the best here, so far, our men's team just doesn't represent that.
    hasn't this been the argument for years? remember when Beckham came over and soccer became super popular?
    Old 04-29-2017, 11:12 AM   #382
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokew11 View Post
    hasn't this been the argument for years? remember when Beckham came over and soccer became super popular?
    No

crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-29-2017, 12:15 PM   #383
    RiotAct

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrashTheStone41 View Post
    She doesn't bring anything to the table and her voice is not suited for broadcasting. I always get drawn in to games when the people commentating have soothing voices (like Pat Foley from the Blackhawks). Her voice makes me cringe.

she's not great, but the real problem with ESPN's baseball broadcasts is the stupid K-Zone

07.18.2019 - R.I.P. Last Stop jam/reprise
    RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-29-2017, 12:21 PM   #384
    TwoStep2888

Shows Seen: 7

My Tour Central Stats

K-Zone is def a problem
    Old 04-29-2017, 12:50 PM   #385
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokew11 View Post
    Yes, and it did become more popular as a result, you just didn't open your eyes. Also, Beckham is English, not American. Even so, there are fans all over the country wearing European soccer jerseys now. That didn't exist in the early 2000s.

Also, keep in mind that MLS games have about 20,000-25,000 people per game in most markets, that is better than the NBA for attendance.

Last edited by aeroshady; 04-29-2017 at 12:51 PM.
    Old 05-01-2017, 10:52 AM   #386
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Apparently they're hiring, too: https://www.recode.net/2017/5/1/1550...wski-woj-yahoo

Probably one of the smartest things they've ever done. Hope they don't ruin him/The Vertical.

Last edited by Rodey; 05-01-2017 at 10:53 AM.
    Rodey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-01-2017, 10:57 AM   #387
    sbuzzz
    Hey Suri

Shows Seen: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Also, keep in mind that MLS games have about 20,000-25,000 people per game in most markets, that is better than the NBA for attendance.
    With a ton less games and a lot less markets.

That 20k nightly seems high too.
    sbuzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-01-2017, 11:03 AM   #388
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kydmb99 View Post
    Chad Ford also let go. Wow. ESPN just getting rid of "non-personalities"
    Ford should have been let go when he started going back and editing old mocks to make himself look good.
    Old 05-01-2017, 11:32 AM   #389
    sbuzzz
    Hey Suri

Shows Seen: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rodey View Post
    Ford should have been let go when he started going back and editing old mocks to make himself look good.
    I don't know, that was pretty damn funny to me.
    sbuzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-01-2017, 12:47 PM   #390
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sbuzzz View Post
    With a ton less games and a lot less markets.

That 20k nightly seems high too.
    Red Bull's numbers here in NY, but you could make the same argument you just made about the NFL...

I have always said, give the Yankees or Red Sox 8 home games a season and see how hard it is to get a ticket...