David on NPR this morning :) - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 04-30-2016, 07:43 PM   #1
stephhenge

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

David on NPR this morning :)

So I'm half asleep listening to NPR this early morning, and heard Dave on the Weekend Edition show, great way to start a Saturday

http://www.npr.org/2016/04/30/476272...ians-in-havana
stephhenge is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 04-30-2016, 08:05 PM   #2
    pbrk11
    Patricio Del Torro

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: David on NPR this morning :)

nice find OP!.......fuckin' awesome he brought some guitar strings with him....and the fact that he played with the lady drummer who makes 20$ a day and plays "4-5 gigs daily".....very cool of DJM
    pbrk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-04-2016, 10:02 AM   #3
    FeelingGood
    Much better now....

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

"MATTHEWS: I could have my taxes raised by 30 percent if my government told me they would teach my children to play music and art and ingrain it in my country. I wouldn't be the least bit upset."

I love it when multi-multi-millionaires make stupid comments like this...anyone in his income/net worth class wouldn't even notice a 30% tax raise. I don't disagree with the sentiment (i.e., we should support music and arts education), but there's so many better ways to say it.
    Old 05-04-2016, 10:14 AM   #4
    ForkInFork

Shows Seen: 71

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FeelingGood View Post
    "MATTHEWS: I could have my taxes raised by 30 percent if my government told me they would teach my children to play music and art and ingrain it in my country. I wouldn't be the least bit upset."

I love it when multi-multi-millionaires make stupid comments like this...anyone in his income/net worth class wouldn't even notice a 30% tax raise. I don't disagree with the sentiment (i.e., we should support music and arts education), but there's so many better ways to say it.
    You realize how percentages work, right?
    ForkInFork is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-04-2016, 10:18 AM   #5
    hailtopitt
    Gimme that spatula!!!!!

Shows Seen: 44

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ForkInFork View Post
    You realize how percentages work, right?
    i was about to say the same thing

PS--David?
    hailtopitt is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-04-2016, 10:24 AM   #6
    jenhen27
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FeelingGood View Post

It's not the percentage, it's the statement. It just seems so hypocritical to say, I'd be fine with the government raising my taxes, I'd be all for it. But then not donate the same voluntarily. And no, it doesn't matter if said gazillionaire already donates. This is someone, anyone not specifically directed at DM, who says, I'd pay more but only if someone MADE me. They don't have to make you. Take whatever chunk you wouldn't miss and find a worthy cause.

jenhen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-04-2016, 10:27 AM   #7
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Only worth about 300 million, take it easy on him
    ToySoldier#34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-04-2016, 10:31 AM   #8
    hailtopitt
    Gimme that spatula!!!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jenhen27 View Post
    It's not the percentage, it's the statement. It just seems so hypocritical to say, I'd be fine with the government raising my taxes, I'd be all for it. But then not donate the same voluntarily. And no, it doesn't matter if said gazillionaire already donates. This is someone, anyone not specifically directed at DM, who says, I'd pay more but only if someone MADE me. They don't have to make you. Take whatever chunk you wouldn't miss and find a worthy cause.
    umm what?

did you not read the part that says "if my government told me they would teach my children to play music and art and ingrain it in my country"

so he's saying that IF the money would be used for music and art education, he'd pay the tax. but, as it stands, he has no faith that the gov't would use a donation of the same amount for music and art education...

pretty simple

and on top of that, Dave is most definitely a philanthropist anyway. he is heavily involved or heavily funds at least 16 major charities. most of them focused on music for young people, disease research, and helping under privileged parties
    Old 05-04-2016, 10:34 AM   #9
    jimmything014

Shows Seen: 50

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Yea this would be a great idea . Especially since our govt does such a great job with education now. With all the money we have thrown to education in this country you would think we would lead in every category of academic performance, but that isn't even close to reality. The view that govt is some cure-all for every problem we face is laughable.
    2019 show: CMAC 6/18
    jimmything014 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-04-2016, 10:37 AM   #10
    hailtopitt
    Gimme that spatula!!!!!

My Tour Central Stats

not sure anyone in here is actually getting the spirit of what Dave was saying...
    Old 05-04-2016, 10:42 AM   #11
    Maggard103

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

I found this on Yahoo, never heard of cnsnews, but people are ripping Dave in the comment section after the article.
    http://cnsnews.com/blog/penny-starr/...-visiting-cuba
    Old 05-04-2016, 10:51 AM   #12
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

One of those comments is great, that damn liberal asshole Matthews sure as hell won't play in North Carolina (aside from their show in North Carolina)
    Old 05-04-2016, 10:53 AM   #13
    ckramer09

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Man, people will just fucking eat up anything they see and expect it to 100% accurate. The media is disgusting. They write things in a way so the reader can assume the worst. All the people in those comments just shows me that they are slaves to the media nowadays. Sure, he said those things. So what. Americans suck sometimes. We are selfish and can treat other countries that don't share our beliefs like shit. It's not like he meant America sucks so bad, your country is so much better in every way. And maybe I don't know enough on the topic, but just throwing some stuff out there.

I'm not one into politics or anything, but I'm totally with him on this one. Good for him for sticking up for what he believes in.
    ckramer09 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-04-2016, 10:56 AM   #14
    ckramer09

My Tour Central Stats

Lol! The comment: "What an idiot! Absolutely no concept of history or economics. Just get stoned and play my guitar. That's heaven man, art, cool, dig it."

Just goes to show how clueless some of the people on there are. Ha!
    Old 05-04-2016, 11:05 AM   #15
    ToySoldier#34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ckramer09 View Post
    Lol! The comment: "What an idiot! Absolutely no concept of history or economics. Just get stoned and play my guitar. That's heaven man, art, cool, dig it."

Just goes to show how clueless some of the people on there are. Ha!

Wonder how familiar that person is with Apartheid
    Old 05-04-2016, 11:07 AM   #16
    aircavmike

Shows Seen: 250

DMB Hub Stubs: 38

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I'm not one into politics or anything, but I'm totally with him on this one. Good for him for sticking up for what he believes in.
    Only problem is that he comes off as a hypocritical moron. He's preaching abt Americans coming into Cuba yet he has a hissy fit when someone in our country supports a border wall
    I always gave him the benefit of the doubt when picking what songs to play. Chalked it up to him playing what he likes. But After reading that coupled with the past few years of him playing countless shit turd songs every show makes me convinced he's just brain dead.
    aircavmike is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-04-2016, 11:16 AM   #17
    ckramer09

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aircavmike View Post
    Only problem is that he comes off as a hypocritical moron. He's preaching abt Americans coming into Cuba yet he has a hissy fit when someone in our country supports a border wall
    I always gave him the benefit of the doubt when picking what songs to play. Chalked it up to him playing what he likes. But After reading that coupled with the past few years of him playing countless shit turd songs every show makes me convinced he's just brain dead.
    I just took it as he doesn't want Americans to go in and change the good things that Cuba DOES have, like the arts. I didn't take it as he doesn't want Americans over there at all.

But what I'm mainly trying to say, is that the media will spin the shit anyway they want to. Things can be taken out of context, and the wording of some things are written with the intent of getting people to think the worst. Not saying this is for sure the case here, because we will never know the full truth. The media spews bullshit out and people eat it up.

If they always told the full truth, it wouldn't make good stories and get people talking about it. Guess it's just me ranting about media, lol!
    Old 05-04-2016, 11:20 AM   #18
    jenhen27
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hailtopitt View Post
    umm what?

did you not read the part that says "if my government told me they would teach my children to play music and art and ingrain it in my country"

so he's saying that IF the money would be used for music and art education, he'd pay the tax. but, as it stands, he has no faith that the gov't would use a donation of the same amount for music and art education...

pretty simple

and on top of that, Dave is most definitely a philanthropist anyway. he is heavily involved or heavily funds at least 16 major charities. most of them focused on music for young people, disease research, and helping under privileged parties
    Yes, I read the if and yes, I know Dave is definitely a philanthropist. I said it wasn't directed at DM specifically. My comment was directed at any celebrity who says, I welcome the government to raise my taxes. Sooo, raise your "taxes" on yourself then. Donate money to the Bureau of Fiscal Service. Find a charity that follows your heart or start your own. Don't just hang onto the extra money that you'd be happy to give to the government (to help people) but only if they made you.

Taking someone who makes a million dollars and, making it simple, the government takes 40 percent, the millionaire donates 30 percent and keeps the other 30. But then they say, I'd be cool if they raised my taxes by 30 percent so another 12 percent of their income. Just take that 12 percent that you'd be OK with giving up and give it up voluntarily right now. Up your charity donations to 42 percent. Don't wait for someone to force you. That just comes off as insincere. And yes, in this case, I'm using DM's 30 percent figure so I guess this is directed at him. I just don't understand the concept of forced generosity. I'm not saying Dave Matthews isn't generous. But if he wants more art and music taught in the schools he can influence that even if his actions don't affect the entire country.

Or, a smaller scale example, I'd be fine with giving that guy with the "Any little bit helps" sign the $20 in my wallet but only if he uses it for food. OK, so take your $20, buy some non-perishables and hand it to him the next time you see him.

To change the world...

Old 05-04-2016, 11:25 AM   #19
    hailtopitt
    Gimme that spatula!!!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yes, I read the if and yes, I know Dave is definitely a philanthropist. I said it wasn't directed at DM specifically. My comment was directed at any celebrity who says, I welcome the government to raise my taxes. Sooo, raise your "taxes" on yourself then. Donate money to the Bureau of Fiscal Service. Find a charity that follows your heart or start your own. Don't just hang onto the extra money that you'd be happy to give to the government (to help people) but only if they made you.

Taking someone who makes a million dollars and, making it simple, the government takes 40 percent, the millionaire donates 30 percent and keeps the other 30. But then they say, I'd be cool if they raised my taxes by 30 percent so another 12 percent of their income. Just take that 12 percent that you'd be OK with giving up and give it up voluntarily right now. Up your charity donations to 42 percent. Don't wait for someone to force you. That just comes off as insincere. And yes, in this case, I'm using DM's 30 percent figure so I guess this is directed at him. I just don't understand the concept of forced generosity. I'm not saying Dave Matthews isn't generous. But if he wants more art and music taught in the schools he can influence that even if his actions don't affect the entire country.

Or, a smaller scale example, I'd be fine with giving that guy with the "Any little bit helps" sign the $20 in my wallet but only if he uses it for food. OK, so take your $20, buy some non-perishables and hand it to him the next time you see him.

To change the world...
    i agree about the forced charity thing. it's stupid when people talk like that

i just think Dave's comment was more about how the government is failing with regards to the educational system. it had nothing to do with money.

his comment was more like "i'd gladly give 30% more in taxes if i knew my government would use it properly and wouldn't piss it away"

which, i get it, he could take that "30%" and set up his own music program locally or whatever, but c'mon, that's not the spirit of what was said at all
    Old 05-04-2016, 11:32 AM   #20
    aircavmike

Shows Seen: 250

DMB Hub Stubs: 38

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I just took it as he doesn't want Americans to go in and change the good things that Cuba DOES have, like the arts. I didn't take it as he doesn't want Americans over there at all.

But what I'm mainly trying to say, is that the media will spin the shit anyway they want to. Things can be taken out of context, and the wording of some things are written with the intent of getting people to think the worst. Not saying this is for sure the case here, because we will never know the full truth. The media spews bullshit out and people eat it up.

If they always told the full truth, it wouldn't make good stories and get people talking about it. Guess it's just me ranting about media, lol!
    Understood....I guess what I mean is with Cuba being a Communist country he should be extra careful and thoughtful of what he says there.
    aircavmike is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-04-2016, 11:33 AM   #21
    jenhen27
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    i agree about the forced charity thing. it's stupid when people talk like that

i just think Dave's comment was more about how the government is failing with regards to the educational system. it had nothing to do with money.

his comment was more like "i'd gladly give 30% more in taxes if i knew my government would use it properly and wouldn't piss it away"

which, i get it, he could take that "30%" and set up his own music program locally or whatever, but c'mon, that's not the spirit of what was said at all
    Agree that what he said was that he doesn't trust the government to use increased taxes for what he considers a worthy cause (does anyone?) But he also said, if you read between the lines, that he wouldn't miss, and I'm guessing, 12 percent of his income. And he and other celebrities have said, "raise my taxes" before. You shouldn't have to ask. Just act. That was my point. I fully support the idea that the government has screwed up education in this country. I have a 6 year old and I still can't figure out what the heck they are teaching him.

Old 05-04-2016, 11:34 AM   #22
    ckramer09

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aircavmike View Post
    Understood....I guess what I mean is with Cuba being a Communist country he should be extra careful and thoughtful of what he says there.
    Right, I can definitely understand that as well. I would also say that with it being such a precarious and tender situation, treading lightly would be advised.
    Old 05-04-2016, 12:16 PM   #23
    hailtopitt
    Gimme that spatula!!!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Agree that what he said was that he doesn't trust the government to use increased taxes for what he considers a worthy cause (does anyone?) But he also said, if you read between the lines, that he wouldn't miss, and I'm guessing, 12 percent of his income. And he and other celebrities have said, "raise my taxes" before. You shouldn't have to ask. Just act. That was my point. I fully support the idea that the government has screwed up education in this country. I have a 6 year old and I still can't figure out what the heck they are teaching him.
    i think we're on the same page
    Old 05-04-2016, 12:17 PM   #24
    RiotAct

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

pretty simple
    That's cool if he wants the government to take an extra 30% from HIS income for that. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he doesn't believe the same should go for the middle class and lower-middle class, as well.

/prompter

07.18.2019 - R.I.P. Last Stop jam/reprise
    RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote