Dave & Tim to Guest and Perform on Late Show with Colbert - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 05-03-2017, 12:25 PM   #31
dontdrink36
not nice or reliable

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Dave & Tim to Guest and Perform on Late Show with Colbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by smb41 View Post
People don't go to concerts or watch sports games to be lectured on politics. Obviously Dave and anyone else is entitled to share their opinion. But Dave's opinion isn't more relevant than mine or yours. Thus, it seems ridiculous to me that someone like Dave would be invited onto a talk show only to be asked political questions. What political authority does Dave have? Absolutely none. This doesn't mean he's not allowed to share his opinion, but it seems like there's no dimension of life that isn't political right now. I just wish everyone had a better sense of where politics is appropriate and where it isn't.

I was just as rattled by Meryl Streep's Oscar speech as I was by the singer with the Trump dress at the Grammy's. Let music be music and let politics be politics. I don't see any reason to combine the two.
A) They aren't being lectured on politics during the event. If an artist made more than a 30 second speech at a show I'd be pissed because I paid for a concert. During an interview on TV anything the interviewer/interviewee want to discuss is fair game.

B) No one said celebrity opinion's matter more. They just have a public platform to express them.

C) "What political authority does Dave have? Absolutely none. This doesn't mean he's not allowed to share his opinion." Our current president was in the exact same position in terms of political authority until the day he was sworn in" Trump has proven that literally anyone can be President if they want to be, there is no prerequisite to having a political opinion, or holding political office.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-03-2017, 12:29 PM   #32
    Route_2
    What Album?

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Looking forward to hearing Dave's current views on politics. I guess it's cool if he plays some music too.
    Old 05-03-2017, 12:40 PM   #33
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

Shows Seen: 87

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Answer: yes.

I don't like when politics mix with music, sports, or anything else in popular culture, regardless of where I stand on the issues. Celebrities should not abuse their platforms to promote a political agenda, regardless of what that agenda entails.
    Music and politics have gone together since forever. Sports is a bad example because they've always been political: Jackie Robinson, Muhammad Ali, 1980 Olympic Boycott, Miracle on Ice, etc.

No one is forcing you to listen to DMB's music. If Dave's politics is a turnoff then don't support it. Do we really need a safe space from celebrities? Politics are just a part of life.

Tour 2023: Deer Creek [6/30] [7/01]
    DMBZeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-03-2017, 12:46 PM   #34
    Gene Parmesan

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

5 second comment during a show is not a lecture.
    Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-03-2017, 12:55 PM   #35
    TimHonks

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Don't mind an artist talking politics on a TV show, their social media, etc., but hate when they do it at concerts.
    TimHonks is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-03-2017, 02:48 PM   #36
    smb41

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontdrink36 View Post
    A) They aren't being lectured on politics during the event. If an artist made more than a 30 second speech at a show I'd be pissed because I paid for a concert. During an interview on TV anything the interviewer/interviewee want to discuss is fair game.

B) No one said celebrity opinion's matter more. They just have a public platform to express them.

C) "What political authority does Dave have? Absolutely none. This doesn't mean he's not allowed to share his opinion." Our current president was in the exact same position in terms of political authority until the day he was sworn in" Trump has proven that literally anyone can be President if they want to be, there is no prerequisite to having a political opinion, or holding political office.
    In reference to your first point, have you been to a Pearl Jam or Eddie Vedder show?

If Dave wants to ramble about peace/love/so on during a show (or even during an interview) then I don't have a huge problem with that. But I read that during some of the European shows he said "Fuck Trump" or something along those lines. Directly attacking the president of the United States crosses a line. And you're right, anything the interviewer asks is fair game. But why is there a need to ask Dave Matthews about politics? If he wants to write about political topics in his music then that's okay, but is anyone really dying to hear an evening of political banter with Stephen Colbert and Dave Matthews? He should ask about the tour, a potential new album, side projects within the band, etc. There's so much to talk about already - why bring politics into the mix? I get where you're coming from, I just think it can be a bit tasteless.

And re: your last point, Dave isn't running for office. And celebrity political talk has been going on long before Trump was elected. Trump being the president doesn't make it any better or worse.
    smb41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-03-2017, 05:42 PM   #37
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    In reference to your first point, have you been to a Pearl Jam or Eddie Vedder show?

If Dave wants to ramble about peace/love/so on during a show (or even during an interview) then I don't have a huge problem with that. But I read that during some of the European shows he said "Fuck Trump" or something along those lines. Directly attacking the president of the United States crosses a line. And you're right, anything the interviewer asks is fair game. But why is there a need to ask Dave Matthews about politics? If he wants to write about political topics in his music then that's okay, but is anyone really dying to hear an evening of political banter with Stephen Colbert and Dave Matthews? He should ask about the tour, a potential new album, side projects within the band, etc. There's so much to talk about already - why bring politics into the mix? I get where you're coming from, I just think it can be a bit tasteless.

And re: your last point, Dave isn't running for office. And celebrity political talk has been going on long before Trump was elected. Trump being the president doesn't make it any better or worse.

Never seen Vedder. I said I don't want artists to talk too much about anything at shows. I want them to sing at shows. Dave saying fuck Trump in Europe doesn't bother me at all. If he went on for 5 minutes or if it was between e try somg then it would be an issue.

Colbert is a political comedian. Dave likes politics. I'm sure that will be brought up. I don't care either way about hearing their conversation. But using that logic who in your mind should be talking politics?

I never said Dave was running. He isn't eligible any way. That said if Trump can get elected POTUS that opens the door for literally anyone who is interested to be POTUS in the future. He's by far the most underqualified "politician" in any office in America.
    Old 05-04-2017, 02:17 AM   #38
    SeeMoreDMB

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Answer: yes.

I don't like when politics mix with music, sports, or anything else in popular culture, regardless of where I stand on the issues. Celebrities should not abuse their platforms to promote a political agenda, regardless of what that agenda entails.
    Considering a celebrity is now the president, the issue of celebrities talking politics and people being upset by it is now null and void. I for one love Colbert and am very excited for this segment. I also side with Dave's political views, which helps.
    SeeMoreDMB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-04-2017, 04:01 AM   #39
    stlbluespower
    DMB 2012

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

we are better off with Dave talking politics a bit. He's passionate and knowledgeable on that topic. It's better than hearing about the sex lives of monkeys or fruits that looks like vaginas.
    stlbluespower is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-04-2017, 04:39 AM   #40
    BAHHHTIWaC

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Sounds less like you don't want him talking politics, and more like you want him supporting Trump.
    BAHHHTIWaC is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-04-2017, 05:44 AM   #41
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

Shows Seen: 203

DMB Hub Stubs: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BAHHHTIWaC View Post
    Sounds less like you don't want him talking politics, and more like you want him supporting Trump.
    I didn't get that from his comment at all. I'm not a Trump lover, but I do understand that there is a difference between satire and straight up character assassination. Even if Donald Trump is not respected, the Office should be. Especially by Americans. And Americans that millions of people listen to should practice more tact when in front of their audience. Have an opinion. Speak your opinion. But try to refrain from calling the President of the United States a "cock holder for Putin" while on national TV. But hey... in his defense... Colbert did start off that rant by admitting that he lacks dignity.
    And I also would like to this interview focus more on Dave's career. I know his political views. He keeps them no secret. And it's also no secret that Stephen Colbert will see Dave as a "Brother In Arms", and use this as an opportunity to mock Trump. It's what he does. Even if it doesn't take up the entire interview, something disrespectful will be said in order to garner laughter.
    OneSweetMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-04-2017, 06:02 AM   #42
    stlbluespower
    DMB 2012

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OneSweetMonkey View Post
    I didn't get that from his comment at all. I'm not a Trump lover, but I do understand that there is a difference between satire and straight up character assassination. Even if Donald Trump is not respected, the Office should be. Especially by Americans. And Americans that millions of people listen to should practice more tact when in front of their audience. Have an opinion. Speak your opinion. But try to refrain from calling the President of the United States a "cock holder for Putin" while on national TV. But hey... in his defense... Colbert did start off that rant by admitting that he lacks dignity.
    And I also would like to this interview focus more on Dave's career. I know his political views. He keeps them no secret. And it's also no secret that Stephen Colbert will see Dave as a "Brother In Arms", and use this as an opportunity to mock Trump. It's what he does. Even if it doesn't take up the entire interview, something disrespectful will be said in order to garner laughter.

I haven't followed all the detailed comments in this thread, but Trump is just getting the payback he deserves. He trashed his predecessor - both while Obama was in office (he led the birther movement) and now ("bad (or sick) guy). Trump has demonstrated he has no respect for the Office itself.
    Old 05-04-2017, 06:05 AM   #43
    DC Greg

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Disagree on it crossing a line because it's the president, especially this president. After all the sewage that has spewed out of his mouth, Dave can mother fuck him all day and twice on Sunday for all I care. He doesn't get to have it both ways.
    DC Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-04-2017, 06:06 AM   #44
    DC Greg

Shows Seen: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stlbluespower View Post
    I haven't followed all the detailed comments in this thread, but Trump is just getting the payback he deserves. He trashed his predecessor - both while Obama was in office (he led the birther movement) and now ("bad (or sick) guy). Trump has demonstrated he has no respect for the Office itself.
    +1
    DC Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-04-2017, 06:37 AM   #45
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I agree 98%! Donald Trump spews vile rhetoric and acts like a child. But... unfortunately... he is the President of the United States. And until we live in an anarchist state, that Office will mean more than people are giving it respect for. Including Donald Trump. I wasn't all about Obama, either. But I still took to the same argument when people attacked him in disgusting ways.

But hey... this is just me. If I don't agree with something, I'm just not going to do it myself. I'll speak my point of view, and carry on with my life.
    Old 05-04-2017, 07:02 AM   #46
    dontdrink36
    not nice or reliable

My Tour Central Stats

I completely disagree that the office should be respected just because it's the president. If the person holding office is not worthy of respect than he brings the office to the level of disrespect. Trump isn't worthy of respect and as long as he is in that office the office deserves no respect either. IMO, of course.
    Old 05-04-2017, 07:30 AM   #47
    btpeters
    Belly Jelly Baby

Shows Seen: 72

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Considering Dave is a pretty prominent performer for candidates on the Democratic circuit during the campaign trail at rally's, fundraisers, events, etc...Hell, he just recently had those Standing Rock concerts. Basically, he's put himself out there and made his presence known in the world of politics. I think he's very much someone you'd think to talk politics to on a talk show while you have him on.

Last edited by btpeters; 05-04-2017 at 07:32 AM.
    btpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-04-2017, 07:44 AM   #48
    stlbluespower
    DMB 2012

My Tour Central Stats

and one can only imagine how deeply Trump would be respecting the Office if Hillary had been elected......
    Old 05-04-2017, 08:18 AM   #49
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    and one can only imagine how deeply Trump would be respecting the Office if Hillary had been elected......
    And if that were the case, I would still have the same opinion about the Office.
    Old 05-04-2017, 08:26 AM   #50
    ForkInFork

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Chiming in my two cents on the issue. I obviously know that entertainers, celebrities, atheletes, etc absolutely have the right to use their platform to say whatever they want, political talk included. I agree with smb41 though that my preference is that they dont get actively involved in political discussions on their platform. Surely politics can and does heavily influence the music at times and I think that is a good thing, but I would prefer to hear interview questions about the artists lives, their work, their tours, their albums, etc. Obviously they are free to do whatever they want, and I am free to stop supporting them if I choose, but I would prefer to be able to just enjoy their art for what it is regardless of their political views.
    ForkInFork is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-04-2017, 08:33 AM   #51
    Route_2
    What Album?

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

We're all spinning our wheels and Dave will probably end up telling some silly story about his kids.
    Old 05-04-2017, 08:49 AM   #52
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Dave's views are often right in line with mine, but even if they weren't, I actively don't care. My values are not changed by what Dave thinks on a subject, so he's free to say whatever he wants, imo. That's what freedom of speech is about.
    coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-04-2017, 08:47 PM   #53
    jammasterjustin

Shows Seen: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Looking forward to having Dave on, even though I don't watch Colbert. He's been completely out of the public eye for a long time now, and I don't think there's ever been a point where people care less / are less aware of Dave and DMB's music. This is at least something to keep us going until whenever the new album comes out. I wonder what they'll play- hopefully something brand new.
    jammasterjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-04-2017, 09:03 PM   #54
    TwoStep2888
    Freak Time

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

I DVR Colbert most nights but I'll watch live to see Dave and Tim
    Old 05-04-2017, 10:29 PM   #55
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Samurai cop is the likely song
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-04-2017, 10:34 PM   #56
    pigsmarching8

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Dave has always been political in his music. Probably one of the reasons he began to write music really. Leaving South Africa, the apartheid, etc...He is and always has been very political. Listen to the Stand Up album or songs like Cry Freedom. I actually like listening to his thoughts. However, saying f*** Trump is a little below the belt. Disagree in a more appropriate way. Honestly, create positive dialogue to express your views. A lot of people look up to Dave Matthews and many others. Be respectful in your disagreements. Dave preaches love right? Then be a leader and show respect when you may have no respect for someone else. Don't belittle yourself to name calling. My .02 cents
    pigsmarching8 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-04-2017, 10:57 PM   #57
    DMB1983

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pigsmarching8 View Post
    Dave has always been political in his music. Probably one of the reasons he began to write music really. Leaving South Africa, the apartheid, etc...He is and always has been very political. Listen to the Stand Up album or songs like Cry Freedom. I actually like listening to his thoughts. However, saying f*** Trump is a little below the belt. Disagree in a more appropriate way. Honestly, create positive dialogue to express your views. A lot of people look up to Dave Matthews and many others. Be respectful in your disagreements. Dave preaches love right? Then be a leader and show respect when you may have no respect for someone else. Don't belittle yourself to name calling. My .02 cents
    I agree with you. I generally disagree with Dave on straight political thought, but have always loved his lyrics and message. (They are different, the message of the music is universal. I don't buy the argument that you have to agree with him politically to like the music now. Or that he's always included political messages in his music) DDTW and Cry Freedom are kind of exceptions I think, and thought are overtly political are more still more universal themes than just Fuck Trump. I think what people like him don't get is that saying Fuck Trump is also saying Fuck you to anyone that voted for him. Or maybe he does get it exactly and indeed is saying fuck you if you voted for him.

Last edited by DMB1983; 05-04-2017 at 11:01 PM.
    DMB1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-05-2017, 09:31 AM   #58
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMB1983 View Post
    I agree with you. I generally disagree with Dave on straight political thought, but have always loved his lyrics and message. (They are different, the message of the music is universal. I don't buy the argument that you have to agree with him politically to like the music now. Or that he's always included political messages in his music) DDTW and Cry Freedom are kind of exceptions I think, and thought are overtly political are more still more universal themes than just Fuck Trump. I think what people like him don't get is that saying Fuck Trump is also saying Fuck you to anyone that voted for him. Or maybe he does get it exactly and indeed is saying fuck you if you voted for him.

No, that is absolutely not what it means at all.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    TheLastPig is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-05-2017, 09:40 AM   #59
    Dannyyankou

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Best way to promote the tour is to play one of their hits that showcases Tim's talents. Ants would be the best song to perform, but they'll probably do Samurai Cop.
    Dannyyankou is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-05-2017, 09:42 AM   #60
    SeeMoreDMB

My Tour Central Stats

I think people are way overthinking this. I watch Colbert everyday, and even when he has someone with political leanings on, the interview is hardly ever just about politics. I'm betting the interview time will be 10-15 minutes total, and 5 minutes max will be spent on political talk. Colbert is a good interviewer and will ask some good questions related to the music, Dave's personal life, what's going on with the current tour, etc. Undies need to be unbundled.
    SeeMoreDMB is offline   Reply With Quote