Open discussion on current studio session - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > Archive > 'Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King' Album Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 05-13-2008, 05:47 AM   #1
Peppermill

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Open discussion on current studio session

We are all here on these boards, this forum in particular, for a reason. We want information on the new album and to volley ideas on what songs might be on it, who's guesting, release date, etc. One important question I think we all wonder is if any member of the band visits this site or other websites. A more broader question is: Does the band keep a good pulse on the fanbase either through visiting forums or having personnel keeping an eye on us? I would like your opinion on this. I believe there could be convincing facts to support either side. The reason I think this is such an important question is that I believe that the band is somewhat jaded towards the the fanbase and probably reached that point several years ago after the release of Busted Stuff. I truly think they feel "damned if we do and damned if we don't" I do know that Dave Matthews has said himself that they were going to take their sweet time making this album. The band is going to do what makes them happy, not what might make us happy. So about the time we stop expecting some sort of update or a new studio album site is about the time it'll go up. Kick back, relax...get ready for the tour and maybe expect some sort of news during that time frame.
I've known rivers ancient as the world and older than the flow of human blood in human veins. My soul has grown deep like the rivers. I bathed in the Euphrates when dawns were young. I built my hut near the Congo and it lulled me to sleep. I looked upon the Nile and raised the pyramids above it. I heard the singing of the Mississippi when Abe Lincoln went down to New Orleans, and I've seen its muddy bosom turn all golden in the sunset. I've known rivers...
Ancient, dusky rivers. My soul has grown deep like the rivers.---Langston Hughes

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-13-2008, 05:50 AM   #2
    BigEyedFerg
    Content and dreaming

Shows Seen: 24

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Open discussion on current studio session

I doubt DMB is hanging on our every word, waiting for us to stop bitching so they can release their new website

"Oh hey, those retarded fans of ours that made us famous stopped bitching. Guess it's all clear now to open the new album site"
    Old 05-13-2008, 05:54 AM   #3
    berman1125

Shows Seen: 84

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

the band has feelers that are on the site from time to time. wouldnt suprise me if stefan checks in
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zrroot View Post
    Do You Remember has been played 92 times since 2017. Dreaming Tree has been played 99 times since 1998
    Old 05-13-2008, 06:22 AM   #4
    BigEyedFerg
    Content and dreaming

My Tour Central Stats

Well there's no question the band checks sites as well-established as this one, but whether we hold any influence over them is another question entirely
    Old 05-13-2008, 06:23 AM   #5
    Mateo2k

Shows Seen: 91

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Oh, fergie ferg.... always over estimating how much the band checks websites.
    Old 05-13-2008, 06:27 AM   #6
    cherone21

Shows Seen: 73

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

I sure hope noone in here has an influence on them. This place is negative as it gets.
    Old 05-13-2008, 06:30 AM   #7
    BigEyedFerg
    Content and dreaming

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mateo2k View Post
    Oh, fergie ferg.... always over estimating how much the band checks websites.
    Never said they'd check it often...
    Old 05-13-2008, 07:10 AM   #8
    Peppermill

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigEyedFerg View Post
    I doubt DMB is hanging on our every word, waiting for us to stop bitching so they can release their new website

"Oh hey, those retarded fans of ours that made us famous stopped bitching. Guess it's all clear now to open the new album site"
    Oh, absolutely. I completely agree that they are not hanging on our every word so to speak. I do feel they know that their fanbase is getting antsy (no pun intended) for more information on the album, but they don't really care about our desires to get regular updates on what they are doing in the studio. As of today, they are not ready to relinquish anything. All I'm saying is that the band is going to do what is in their best interest first, then maybe...just maybe what might/might not please the fans. I think that they are point in their careers where they could care less about how we feel from one day to the next. Generally speaking they do care about us, but not to the point where they feel the need to keep us happy as much as it is possible. That in itself is impossible and they know it.
    I've known rivers ancient as the world and older than the flow of human blood in human veins. My soul has grown deep like the rivers. I bathed in the Euphrates when dawns were young. I built my hut near the Congo and it lulled me to sleep. I looked upon the Nile and raised the pyramids above it. I heard the singing of the Mississippi when Abe Lincoln went down to New Orleans, and I've seen its muddy bosom turn all golden in the sunset. I've known rivers...
    Ancient, dusky rivers. My soul has grown deep like the rivers.---Langston Hughes
    Old 05-13-2008, 07:15 AM   #9
    warehouseguy

Shows Seen: 52

My Tour Central Stats

See Below... we already have this thread "info comes in ... let's keep this updated"
    Old 05-13-2008, 07:33 AM   #10
    Peppermill

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by warehouseguy View Post
    See Below... we already have this thread "info comes in ... let's keep this updated"
    This thread was meant to be more about expectations of the fans from the band and their influence or lack there of. If I could go back and change the title of the thread I would.
    Old 05-13-2008, 07:52 AM   #11
    Beebz
    Tinnitus Victim

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Peppermill View Post
    This thread was meant to be more about expectations of the fans from the band and their influence or lack there of. If I could go back and change the title of the thread I would.
    Fans have little influence. Certainly less than they did when the band was in its infancy, but that's not exactly groundbreaking insight. The band is successful beyond its wildest dreams, and assumes (correctly) that the fanbase will continue to turn out in droves regardless of the product. That's not to say they assume they can make bad music--or to give less than their best in the studio--and it be without ramifications, just that an always growing fanbase will offset any defections that result from poor content (Stand Up, Everyday).

This has been disucssed ad nasuem in other threads. Not really ripping ya because who is going to look through 2,000-odd posts in the main thread to find a few comments?
    Old 05-13-2008, 08:16 AM   #12
    warehouseguy

Shows Seen: 52

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    k man no worries, sorry for being a bastard anyway, ha, i was finishing up my last day of law finals
    Old 05-13-2008, 08:22 AM   #13
    Peppermill

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bbianca1982 View Post
    Fans have little influence. Certainly less than they did when the band was in its infancy, but that's not exactly groundbreaking insight. The band is successful beyond its wildest dreams, and assumes (correctly) that the fanbase will continue to turn out in droves regardless of the product. That's not to say they assume they can make bad music--or to give less than their best in the studio--and it be without ramifications, just that an always growing fanbase will offset any defections that result from poor content (Stand Up, Everyday).

This has been disucssed ad nasuem in other threads. Not really ripping ya because who is going to look through 2,000-odd posts in the main thread to find a few comments?
    Oh I know that it's been discussed before countless times and won't take offense if a person states the fact that this isn't a groundbreaking subject. But there are some people on these boards who feel like the band owes them something or that they deserve more than what they are getting out of the band whether it be through new information, varied songs on tour, a better album, etc. The band only owes themselves for these things and a some fans just need to be reminded of that.
    Old 05-13-2008, 08:23 AM   #14
    Peppermill

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by warehouseguy View Post
    k man no worries, sorry for being a bastard anyway, ha, i was finishing up my last day of law finals
    No problem. I didn't think you were being a bastard at all.
    Old 05-13-2008, 08:41 AM   #15
    Northerntube

My Tour Central Stats

having a large fanbase must be such a double-edged sword - on the one hand they must love and acknowledge that they wouldn't be where they are today without all those fans. On the other hand, those fans must be awfully annoying sometimes and maybe counter-productive to producing art. Because artists live and die by being creative - looking forward - but fans have a real compulsion to only look back and hold up their own subjective experiences as highlights.
    Old 05-13-2008, 08:55 AM   #16
    Peppermill

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Northerntube View Post
    having a large fanbase must be such a double-edged sword - on the one hand they must love and acknowledge that they wouldn't be where they are today without all those fans. On the other hand, those fans must be awfully annoying sometimes and maybe counter-productive to producing art. Because artists live and die by being creative - looking forward - but fans have a real compulsion to only look back and hold up their own subjective experiences as highlights.
    And this is why I personally supported Everyday, Dave experimenting solo with Some Devil, and Stand Up. Although these ventures wasn't everyone's cup of tea, they were paths where Dave and the band could experience something different. And if this new album happens to be lumped into that group of ventures rather than with UTTAD, Crash, and BTCS....I wouldn't regard it as a failure like so many other fans have done in the past and might do in the future.
    Old 05-13-2008, 09:59 AM   #17
    Mateo2k

Shows Seen: 91

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

I hear that they're covering a Trust Company song on the new record.
    Old 05-13-2008, 10:08 AM   #18
    cherone21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    And this is why I personally supported Everyday, Dave experimenting solo with Some Devil, and Stand Up. Although these ventures wasn't everyone's cup of tea, they were paths where Dave and the band could experience something different. And if this new album happens to be lumped into that group of ventures rather than with UTTAD, Crash, and BTCS....I wouldn't regard it as a failure like so many other fans have done in the past and might do in the future.
    Well said.
    Old 05-13-2008, 10:09 AM   #19
    MistreatedLewis

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I guess if you consider being as artistically lazy as humanly possible an "experiment"...
    Old 05-13-2008, 10:10 AM   #20
    MistreatedLewis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yes, it was the "fans" that made them have parties and leave Roi alone to do the work on SU...

Old 05-13-2008, 10:29 AM   #21
    Northerntube

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MistreatedLewis View Post
    Yes, it was the "fans" that made them have parties and leave Roi alone to do the work on SU...

I have no idea what your response has to do with my original statement.
    Old 05-13-2008, 10:42 AM   #22
    cherone21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

That isn't true. You are officially loosing it.
    Old 05-13-2008, 10:52 AM   #23
    MistreatedLewis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cherone21 View Post
    That isn't true. You are officially loosing it.
    Keep living on your cloud of DMB denial
    Old 05-13-2008, 10:52 AM   #24
    MistreatedLewis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I have no idea what your response has to do with my original statement.
    Put on your thinking cap.
    Old 05-13-2008, 11:13 AM   #25
    ~Crashintome89~
    gregdog love in pa

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

The fans will always have influence on the band and what they do. If that wasn't the case, the band wouldn't be touring anymore.
    Claude Giroux is a national treasure.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brohan Santana
    Can someone please tell me what a Gordie Howe Hat Trick is?
    Old 05-13-2008, 11:14 AM   #26
    Northerntube

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Put on your thinking cap.
    ok, let me put on my thinking cap for you.

Here's what I think: I think you're a grey cloud on a sunny day. I think you're the taste of vinegar on a baby's silver spoon. I think your knee-jerk Pavlovian reactions to any discussion regarding SU and DMB in general are repetitive, self-serving and wouldn't be so useless if you didn't express yourself so carelessly and without regard for other people. I think you too often regard other members of this community with hostility and condescension and to constantly do that in the face of genuine criticism regarding it, I think you must have a passive/aggressive mixture of megalomania and self-loathing at play.

Now, I said that having a large, vigorous fanbase must be a double-edged sword. The very people who raised you up are the very ones who'll leap to cut you down. Does this sound at all familiar to you?

Your response isn't really a response at all, at least not to the point being raised. It's just another cheap, petty rant, a dime a dozen and just an endless yawn. Another twist of the knife - can't resist can you? - over an album that was released three years ago that - if I have my thinking cap put on correctly - you didn't quite dig. Get over it.

Every discussion board has that one person that just can't help themselves for all the wrong reasons. Nicely played, sir.
    Old 05-13-2008, 11:16 AM   #27
    MistreatedLewis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Here's what I think: I think you're a grey cloud on a sunny day. I think you're the taste of vinegar on a baby's silver spoon. I think your knee-jerk Pavlovian reactions to any discussion regarding SU and DMB in general are repetitive, self-serving and wouldn't be so useless if you didn't express yourself so carelessly and without regard for other people. I think you too often regard other members of this community with hostility and condescension and to constantly do that in the face of genuine criticism regarding it, I think you must have a passive/aggressive mixture of megalomania and self-loathing at play.

Now, I said that having a large, vigorous fanbase must be a double-edged sword. The very people who raised you up are the very ones who'll leap to cut you down. Does this sound at all familiar to you?

Your response isn't really a response at all, at least not to the point being raised. It's just another cheap, petty rant, a dime a dozen and just an endless yawn. Another twist of the knife - can't resist can you? - over an album that was released three years ago that - if I have my thinking cap put on correctly - you didn't quite dig. Get over it.

Every discussion board has that one person that just can't help themselves for all the wrong reasons. Nicely played, sir.
    You just can't stand my realism.
    Old 05-13-2008, 11:30 AM   #28
    Beebz
    Tinnitus Victim

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

You forgot to add that you award him no points, and hope that God grants mercy on his soul.
    Old 05-13-2008, 11:52 AM   #29
    BigEyedFerg
    Content and dreaming

My Tour Central Stats

I kind of find Mistreated's bitching humorous... it gets old, yes, but sometimes his bitterness is laughable and enjoyable
    Old 05-13-2008, 12:00 PM   #30
    mja271
    Big Mike

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

you can always count on him for some great sarcastic remarks and negativity, it definitely gives me a good chuckle every now and then.
    Say a prayer for my soul señorita