Expecting/Baby Thread - Page 5 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 01-07-2009, 12:13 PM   #121
peetee32

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Expecting/Baby Thread

after caring for a wife with two C-sections...
trust me.
pray you can deliver naturally. you nave no idea. really.
peetee32 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-07-2009, 12:15 PM   #122
    chr35919
    Chris

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sweett513 View Post
    so.... it's not like my husband will care if there is a little scar on my stomach... I would think that would be preferred actually
    i would probably too...but i don't think it's a "little" scar per se

chr35919 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-07-2009, 12:20 PM   #123
    41ravens
    Now We Go

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

i think you can request c-section, but i don't think many doctors recommend it. also, the scar is barely noticeable. my wife's is, anyways.

in other parenting news, if any dads enjoy books about parenthood, my wife got me "daddy needs a drink" by robert wilder for christmas. it's not a how-to, just a humorous look at parenting and being a dad. it's really good.

first-timers, i would recommend "so you're going to be a dad" by peter downey. another good one.

Thank you. Thank you for your honesty.
    Now fuck off and die, you fucked up slag.
    41ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-07-2009, 12:23 PM   #124
    41ravens
    Now We Go

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by peetee32 View Post
    after caring for a wife with two C-sections...
    trust me.
    pray you can deliver naturally. you nave no idea. really.
    was it worse, or better, the second time? we're having another in april and it will be my wife's second c-section. she was actually pretty good after the first one. she was walking up and down our stairs the day we got home from the hospital. probably shouldn't have been, but it didn't really seem to bother her. i'm just hoping it's as easy on her this time.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:35 PM   #125
    peetee32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 41ravens View Post
    was it worse, or better, the second time? we're having another in april and it will be my wife's second c-section. she was actually pretty good after the first one. she was walking up and down our stairs the day we got home from the hospital. probably shouldn't have been, but it didn't really seem to bother her. i'm just hoping it's as easy on her this time.
    my wife had it pretty bad both times as far as overall "comfort" after the C's. just manuevering into breast feeding position the next day was very difficult. i wouldn't say one was worse or better then the other, except our recovery room the 2nd time was SOOOO much better that made it easier in the hospital. plus just going though the whole thing once already made it easier.

i wouldn't compare the two experiences...major abdominal surgery is what it is. you could have two totally different experiences. i wish you well with your new bundle on the way! take care of that baby momma!
    peetee32 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-07-2009, 02:45 PM   #126
    bethie

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cryfreedom4136 View Post

Does anyone on her know much about banking the umbilical cord blood?
    we banked our daughter's cord blood with Viacord...i think the initial investment is around $2K but i'd have to verify that with my hubby. i believe annual fees run around $300/yr. there were a few naysayers, my OB being one of them but we ultimately decided to since there was concern about a couple of genetic diseases on my hubby's side. plus, if we have any more kids, this cord blood should be compatible for them as well.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sweett513 View Post
    can you request a c-section?
    that's up to your OB & your insurance company. my OB had no reservations whatsoever about letting me have an elective section but there are OB's out there that would balk at that...my suggestion would be to find a high intervention style practice if this is something you want. also, some insurance companies will not pay for a section if it's not necessary medically. other insurance companies will gladly agree because the way they see it...if something goes wrong during a vaginal birth & an emergency section is needed, they essentially have to pay all the fees associated with a vaginal birth AND all the fees associated with the section...so they're willing to cut their losses on the front end & allow an elective section. we were lucky..it was only $100 more out-of-pocket for us to have an elective section.

all that being said....my c-section was a breeze. i had the surgery on a wed night around 9 & i was walking out of the hospital that following fri a.m. around 11. all that talk i heard before my delivery about how bad the recovery was going to be was rubbish or hysteria or both. i never felt handicapped when breastfeeding or dealing with the baby or anything AND my percs made me feel weird so i never even took any painkillers really.
    had a couple of girlfriends that delivered vaginally around the same time...i'll spare you the gory details but let's just say that i would NEVER trade my birth experience & recovery for theirs...

Last edited by bethie; 01-07-2009 at 02:48 PM.
    bethie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-07-2009, 03:25 PM   #127
    ~Crashintome89~
    gregdog love in pa

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It seems like there have been a bunch of baby-related/announcement on ants so I thought this thread was appropriate.

My wife and I recently found out we were expecting, we had the first ultrasound last night and it was pretty amazing. I wasn't expecting to be able to see much of anything, but we could see the little guy moving around and we could see the heart beating.

Thought this could be a good central place for people the share news/tips/etc...
    Another baby Red Wing fan?

Ugh.

Congrats though!
    Claude Giroux is a national treasure.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brohan Santana
    Can someone please tell me what a Gordie Howe Hat Trick is?
    ~Crashintome89~ is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-07-2009, 04:01 PM   #128
    cryfreedom4136
    Top Uploader

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ~Crashintome89~ View Post
    Another baby Red Wing fan?

Ugh.

Congrats though!
    Actaully that remains to be seen, my wife is a Devils fan and we are both Wild fans... so its hard to say... I think the baby may be a Sharks fan though.

We went to the Sharks@Wild on New Years Eve and my wife said the baby was doing back-flips. Then on 1/3 we went to Wings@Wild and the baby wasn't doing anything so I think it was stoked about the Sharks

#2 uploader
    cryfreedom4136 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-07-2009, 06:55 PM   #129
    chr35919
    Chris

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    C-sections best for baby when close to due date
    Those delivered before 39 weeks have more breathing issues, study says
    The Associated Press
    updated 5:00 p.m. ET, Wed., Jan. 7, 2009

Babies do better after a scheduled Caesarean section if they're born no sooner than seven days before their due date, a new large study of U.S. births shows.

Those delivered earlier had more complications, including breathing problems, even though they were full term, the researchers reported in Thursday's New England Journal of Medicine. Even just a few days made a difference, they said.

The findings offer important guidance to the growing number of women who face planned C-sections. And the study supports recommendations that elective C-sections be scheduled after 39 weeks unless tests show the infant's lungs are fully mature. Due dates are set at 40 weeks gestation and infants are full term at 37 weeks.

"Take your due date and subtract seven and any one of those seven days is fine," said one of the researchers, Dr. John Thorp, of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Medicine.

He delivered a healthy baby girl on Tuesday after persuading her mother to wait a few more days for a C-section, even though last week would have been more convenient for both mother and doctor.

"We bit the bullet and did it at the right time," said Thorp.

C-section rate is at all-time high
    The rate of Caesarean sections in the United States is at an all-time high, accounting for about 31 percent of births. There are lots of reasons: older moms, multiple births, the threat of malpractice lawsuits, the preference of mothers and doctors and the risks of having a vaginal birth after a previous Caesarean. In 2006, a government panel urged women not to seek a C-section without a medical reason; surgery brings risks and babies born by Caesarean have a greater chance for respiratory problems.

In the new study, the researchers, led by Dr. Alan Tita of the University of Alabama at Birmingham, examined a C-section registry from 19 academic medical centers to see how many of the surgeries were being done before the recommended 39 weeks and if the timing made a difference in the risk of complications.

They focused on 13,258 women who had a single child at a planned Caesarean and who had previously given birth the same way. Excluded were cases where medical issues warranted an early or immediate delivery. The infants were followed until they left the hospital or for four months.

1 in 3 C-sections done before 39 weeks
    More than a third of the C-sections were performed before 39 weeks, the researchers found. Those delivered at 37 weeks were twice as likely to have health problems, including breathing troubles, infections, low blood sugar or the need for intensive care. Fifteen percent of those born at 37 weeks and 11 percent born at 38 weeks had complications, compared to 8 percent of the babies delivered at 39 weeks. The only death was an infant born at 39 weeks.

The biggest difference was in breathing problems, with a fourfold increase for those born at 37 weeks compared to 39 weeks. Babies born by C-section already have a higher risk of breathing trouble than those born vaginally; labor helps clear the lungs of fluid.

The risk of complications also increased for births after 41 weeks, but there were few births in that category, the researchers said.

Tita said the researchers didn't know the reasons behind the chosen delivery dates. They speculated that some mothers might want to deliver as soon as the fetus reaches full term, or an earlier time may have been more convenient for the mother or doctor.

Even last few days make a difference
    Dr. Michael Greene, of Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, noted the research showed that there's even an increased risk of complications in the last few days before the 39th week. That's something most doctors wouldn't suspect, he said.

"I generally try to wait to 39 weeks, although I confess that I'm as guilty as anybody else with a busy practice and scheduling being what it is," said Greene, who wrote an accompanying editorial in the journal. "I really hadn't thought much about it until now."

The study only looked at live births, and didn't account for the small risk of the fetus dying while waiting to reach 39 weeks, Greene said. That risk has been estimated up to 1 in 1,000, he said.

Thorp's patient in Chapel Hill, Shannon Eubanks, said she was glad that she held off a few days to reach the 39-week threshold before having her daughter, Kathleen Conley Eubanks. Her first child, 2-year-old Charlie, was born by C-section.

"It was hard to wait," said Eubanks, business manager of the political science department at the university. "I was very over being pregnant and ready to get the show on the road."

And she had another reason for wanting to deliver last week.

As an accountant, "It just killed me not to have this kid in 2008" to get the tax deduction, Eubanks said hours after delivering.
    © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28544779/

Old 01-07-2009, 06:55 PM   #130
    cryfreedom4136
    Top Uploader

My Tour Central Stats

A couple pics from yesterday's ultrasound

#2 uploader
    Old 01-07-2009, 07:47 PM   #131
    AJF_41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    that's awesome man!

growing vinyl collection: https://www.discogs.com/user/AJF_41/collection/covers
    AJF_41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-08-2009, 09:06 AM   #132
    chr35919
    Chris

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    very nice

Old 01-08-2009, 09:08 AM   #133
    william.hosking

Shows Seen: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Those are pretty vivid, detailed ultrasound stills. Very cool! I am very excited for you!

Twitter
    Facebook
    william.hosking is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-08-2009, 09:17 AM   #134
    thebestauntie
    My love

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    So cool!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickyh24 View Post
    Best team. Best city.
    thebestauntie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-08-2009, 09:21 AM   #135
    dmbgodagirl41
    Go. Tommy. Go.

Shows Seen: 107

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

question about C-sections:

the recovery is bad? can't be worse than recovering from having your vagine be able to pass a watermelon......and I've never heard of a C-Section causing a vaganus....
    Calm down, 12.
    dmbgodagirl41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-08-2009, 09:22 AM   #136
    wnderwoman

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by peetee32 View Post
    i saw a few others posting about irish twins...

my wife and i have a wonderful boy age 20months, and a beautiful girl age 8months. every week its something new:
    -a cold
    -teething
    -night terrors
    -refusing to eat his "oshee-cheese" (oshee cheese is shells and cheese. not sure why he calls it that)
    -learning to stand in the crib and throw your binkys out (pacifier)
    -fever
    -vacinations
    -ear infections
    -not eating anything EXCEPT "oshee-cheese"
    -heart murmur/cardiologist appointment-
    -biting
    -diarreah
    -eating a whole handfull of "oshee-cheese" and almost choking to death
    -refusing to take a bath
    -demanding to take multiple baths a day....

and this was just LAST WEEK!!!
    but its all worth it when you kiss your son good night, put him in his crib, give him his boppy and his blankey (his two little blankets), tell him good night and i love you, and you turn off the light, and as you walk out of the room you hear him say, "i love you to the moon and back daddy" (a quote from one of our MANY bed time books)

but honestly the weirdest thing is remembering back to some of my oldest memories of my parents...and then looking at my son and wondering what kind of memories hes going to have of me when hes older. making memories is some deep shit.
    I got "Mama I love you all the way to Mexican" I had to get out of the room fast, before i busted out laughing.
    wnderwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-08-2009, 09:27 AM   #137
    41ravens
    Now We Go

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbgodagirl41 View Post

the recovery is bad? can't be worse than recovering from having your vagine be able to pass a watermelon......and I've never heard of a C-Section causing a vaganus....
    i do not know the medical reasons, but it is a hell of a lot easier to recover from vaginal delivery than it is to recover from a c-section. my wife could barely walk for 3 days after the c-section. mothers who deliver vaginally are generally good to go hours after delivery.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:58 PM   #138
    cryfreedom4136
    Top Uploader

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 41ravens View Post
    i do not know the medical reasons, but it is a hell of a lot easier to recover from vaginal delivery than it is to recover from a c-section. my wife could barely walk for 3 days after the c-section. mothers who deliver vaginally are generally good to go hours after delivery.
    Well I think its harder because the incision actually has to heal. A natural birth is well natural and the body was built to handle it. A C-section is a fairly major surgery.

#2 uploader
    Old 01-09-2009, 09:33 AM   #139
    bethie

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

like i said in my initial post..my c-section recovery was a breeze. but there are a couple of contributing factors to that..i was in great shape at the time i delivered & historically i've always bounced back pretty quickly from major surgery. in all honesty, i'd rather have 10 more c-sections than ever have to have another wisdom tooth cut out.

i can see how it would be more difficult for larger women who have more tissue to cut through & heal back.

most ppl will advise that vaginal birth is the way to go but i've alway been rather horrified at the idea of having to go through that...& i am thanking my lucky stars i will never have to...(b/c no dr. in his right mind would require me to have a VBAC (vag birth after caesaran) on any future deliveries.) so i have no comparison feedback there. i have girlfriends that have had positive vaginal birth experiences & i know ppl that have had extremely traumatic vaginal birth experiences..a fellow rep of mine needed 37 stitches after her vaginal..by the time she was well enough to pick up her child's carseat, the child had grown out of it. and the recovery in NOT always easier even for the ppl that have easy vag births...going to the bathroom in the days & weeks following it can be pretty difficult, which is something else i totally avoided with the c. not to mention difficulties during sex.

all the folks that say "the body is built for vaginal birth"...well i've always been rather skeptical of that b/c if that were the case, there would've never been women that suffered & died during childbirth..which as we all know has been as issue since the beginning of time. yes, some women's bodies are built for it but some women's bodies are not.
    Old 01-09-2009, 09:42 AM   #140
    wnderwoman

My Tour Central Stats

I had a c-section and my recovery was fine, granted I was on a steady stream of Vicodin. That being said I didn't have the c-section until after having gone through over 60 hours of labor.

I do not recommend this.

Edit: Oh and my son was posterior so it was all back labor.
    Old 01-09-2009, 09:43 AM   #141
    william.hosking

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wnderwoman View Post
    I had a c-section and my recovery was fine, granted I was on a steady stream of Vicodin. That being said I didn't have the c-section until after having gone through over 60 hours of labor.

I do not recommend this.

Edit: Oh and my son was posterior so it was all back labor.
    Geez, why'd you give up so soon?

Twitter
    Facebook
    Old 01-09-2009, 09:45 AM   #142
    Beefsteak1138

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quitters never win.
    Beefsteak1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-09-2009, 09:46 AM   #143
    wnderwoman

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by william.hosking View Post
    Geez, why'd you give up so soon?
    I should have given up sooner, I went unconscious 3 times during the labor.
    Old 01-09-2009, 09:47 AM   #144
    bethie

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chr35919 View Post
    C-sections best for baby when close to due date
    Those delivered before 39 weeks have more breathing issues, study says
    The Associated Press
    right...b/c when babies pass through the birth canal, it actually squeezes out the amnio fluid that is remaining in their lungs. so sectioned babies can have more fluid in the lungs when they're born. brought this up to my ob when i was preg..he said it would take them about .05 sec to suction it out if this were the case with a healthy term baby.

this article seems to state the obvious..of course you shouldn't schedule a birth before your baby is term...why would anyone do that. maybe i'm naive but i didn't know this was an issue..the hospitals in my city refuse to let you schedule anything--be it an induction or section--til you're 39 wks.
    Old 01-09-2009, 09:55 AM   #145
    william.hosking

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I should have given up sooner, I went unconscious 3 times during the labor.
    Good lord, and the doctors were okay with this?

I just remembered, you have a thing about fainting.

Twitter
    Facebook
    Old 01-09-2009, 10:03 AM   #146
    wnderwoman

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by william.hosking View Post
    Good lord, and the doctors were okay with this?<br />
    <br />
    I just remembered, you have a thing about fainting.
    <br />
    <br />
    It was exhaustion and pain, I would just pass out for about a minute and then wake back up. My regular OB was out of town (I delivered 11 days early) the guy I had was an idiot. I shouldn't have been in labor that long.<br />
    <br />
    I also had this ridiculous notion that not delivering vaginally meant I failed as a woman... I no longer have that feeling.

Last edited by wnderwoman; 01-09-2009 at 10:09 AM.
    Old 01-09-2009, 10:08 AM   #147
    william.hosking

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It was exhaustion and pain, I would just pass out for about a minute and then wake back up. My regular OB was out of town (I delivered 11 days early) the guy I had was an idiot. I shouldn't have been in labor that long

I also had this ridiculous notion that not delivering vaginally meant I failed as a woman... I no longer have that feeling.
    Yeah, 60 hours and passing out (even for a moment) three times is a sign that you've been in labor too long.

Twitter
    Facebook
    Old 01-09-2009, 10:10 AM   #148
    jenben41
    A.K.A The Plant

My Tour Central Stats

Why did they let you labor so long? I wonder what the standard is for how long you're supposed to "tough it out" before they intervene.

I don't think anything makes you more of a woman than laboring for 60 hours. My word.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rconverse View Post
    jenben41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-09-2009, 10:12 AM   #149
    Beefsteak1138

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jenben41 View Post
    Why did they let you labor so long? I wonder what the standard is for how long you're supposed to "tough it out" before they intervene.

I don't think anything makes you more of a woman than laboring for 60 hours. My word.
    About 11 hours after induction for Mrs. Beefy, but it's mainly because she wasn't progressing.
    Beefsteak1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-09-2009, 10:13 AM   #150
    Baubkatt

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

I'll add my two cents. My wife and I had a baby 2 1/2 weeks ago. A beautiful baby girl. My wife had a csection and recovered GREAT. She was walking around the next day (less than 24 hours). This is because she is physically fit. If youre not fit, it is a harder recovery. We had our baby girl around 38 weeks and actually read the article previously stated about issues with breathing. For the majority of those that have issues, it is a temporary issue that is usually taken care of by the time mom is ready to go home. If not, its soon there after. We knew that could have been an issue, but had the csection anyways because of complications my wife had from a previous surgery.

(Quote from my wife)All in all, I would tell anyone that a csection is MUCH better than what the public perception is. It was 'planned' and we knew what to expect going in. Do I wish for a natural birth? A little as that is what I always believed was the way to go. After having the csection, I now believe if I have a choice next time, I will have another csection. Either way, you have your baby and thats what matters.

Last edited by Baubkatt; 01-09-2009 at 10:15 AM.
    Baubkatt is offline   Reply With Quote