** College Football Season ** - Page 4303 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 02-22-2017, 02:53 PM   #129061
thebridge15

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ** College Football Season **

Quote:
Originally Posted by recentlyJTR41 View Post
"Did I adequately answer your condescending question?"

that will be a tough one for the aliens to figure out.
thebridge15 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 02-22-2017, 05:01 PM   #129062
    pearljammer

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Ole Miss beats Alabama 2 out of the past 3 years and is now on probabtion.....

Where have I seen this before?
    Not sure why you need to blame Bama for this after seeing the Laremy Tunsil debacle. OM did this to themselves but if you have to blame someone then blame AU and Miss St. They're the ones that had players giving info to the NCAA in exchange for immunity.
    pearljammer is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-22-2017, 05:45 PM   #129063
    emu513

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

#freeOleMiss

Granted, they should be hit because they were so brazen with paying players. Can't just go all straight cash for the out-of-state five stars like Tunsil, Treadwell, and Nkemdiche and not expect eyebrows being raised. Gotta hire some high school coaches and parents of recruits. Real sneaky-like.

Last edited by emu513; 02-22-2017 at 05:47 PM.
    emu513 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-22-2017, 06:02 PM   #129064
    mthawk07
    In all kinds of weather

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

I have basically a direct source who told me Treadwell accepted $200K cash to go to Ole Miss and wasn't even that secretive about it.
    Old 02-22-2017, 06:40 PM   #129065
    snow1868
    Party in the back!

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mthawk07 View Post
    I have basically a direct source who told me Treadwell accepted $200K cash to go to Ole Miss and wasn't even that secretive about it.
    He Tweeted himself with a stack of cash right after signing day, so....yeah, he dumb.

Remember the Ten 1/27/01 4 Ever 11/17/11
    snow1868 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-22-2017, 07:17 PM   #129066
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

Shows Seen: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thebridge15 View Post
    I was hoping someone would pick up on that

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pearljammer View Post
    Not sure why you need to blame Bama for this after seeing the Laremy Tunsil debacle. OM did this to themselves but if you have to blame someone then blame AU and Miss St. They're the ones that had players giving info to the NCAA in exchange for immunity.
    Not blaming Alabama or directing this to you at all. All I'm saying is they beat Alabama back to back years and are now paying for it. Had they lost those games and maybe not won the Sugar Bowl they would be safe now.

Alabama (who just had a true freshman QB lead them to the NCG) gets a 5* dual threat QB from the middle of the Pacific Ocean and no one bats an eye. He could've gone anywhere and he chooses Alabama. Why? Because they win? Will he ever play? How many players from Hawaii have ever gone to the SEC? Why didn't Trenton Thompson go to Alabama last year? He was the #1 overall player. It cannot always be because "Brand A is better than Brand B" History and winning only go so far. How did Alabama and Michigan go from straight dumster fires programs to top 5-10 teams basically overnight with their coaching hires? How come they weren't doing this under Hoke and Shula?

My point is everyone does this. Everyone. It's selective enforcement just like it started with SMU. They beat Texas once and that's all it took to get the ball rolling. If you truly think tOSU and Alabama dominate recruiting just based on wins and their coaching staff you have your head in the sand.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mthawk07 View Post
    I was told an Auburn recruit committed the night before he announced his commitment because he was given the money. It's p common knowledge if you know somebody who knows somebody.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snow1868 View Post
    He Tweeted himself with a stack of cash right after signing day, so....yeah, he dumb.
    D.J. Fluker.....

I don't buy this geography shit either. "Oh Laquan Treadwell left Illinois to go play in Mississippi??" Maybe he didn't want to play in the B1G or for the Fighting Illini? Have you been to Oxford? Have you seen the girls and party scene down there? All of these blue chippers gets bribed with cash, girls, drugs, alcohol, etc. To think Ole Miss is just some outlier in recruiting is incredibly naive.

UGA just signed a 5* OT from the fucking Bronx and all everyone said was, "Boy, Kirby sure can recruit!" UGA hasn't won a title since 1980!

NCAA coming in hot!
    Old 02-22-2017, 08:15 PM   #129067
    emu513

My Tour Central Stats

Well that's quite the misrepresentation of what was said. Ole Miss pulling Tunsil, Treadwell, and Nkemdiche in that one class was without a doubt an outlier for that program and would be for every single program of similar stature that Ole Miss was at the time. If Minnesota signs three five star players next February, I suspect everyone would raise an eyebrow.
    Old 02-22-2017, 08:16 PM   #129068
    Lee3691

Shows Seen: 129

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Right, 3rd/4th tier programs like Ole Miss and USCjr don't pull 5 stars from out of state
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-22-2017, 08:28 PM   #129069
    snow1868
    Party in the back!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I was hoping someone would pick up on that

Not blaming Alabama or directing this to you at all. All I'm saying is they beat Alabama back to back years and are now paying for it. Had they lost those games and maybe not won the Sugar Bowl they would be safe now.

Alabama (who just had a true freshman QB lead them to the NCG) gets a 5* dual threat QB from the middle of the Pacific Ocean and no one bats an eye. He could've gone anywhere and he chooses Alabama. Why? Because they win? Will he ever play? How many players from Hawaii have ever gone to the SEC? Why didn't Trenton Thompson go to Alabama last year? He was the #1 overall player. It cannot always be because "Brand A is better than Brand B" History and winning only go so far. How did Alabama and Michigan go from straight dumster fires programs to top 5-10 teams basically overnight with their coaching hires? How come they weren't doing this under Hoke and Shula?

My point is everyone does this. Everyone. It's selective enforcement just like it started with SMU. They beat Texas once and that's all it took to get the ball rolling. If you truly think tOSU and Alabama dominate recruiting just based on wins and their coaching staff you have your head in the sand.

I was told an Auburn recruit committed the night before he announced his commitment because he was given the money. It's p common knowledge if you know somebody who knows somebody.

D.J. Fluker.....

I don't buy this geography shit either. "Oh Laquan Treadwell left Illinois to go play in Mississippi??" Maybe he didn't want to play in the B1G or for the Fighting Illini? Have you been to Oxford? Have you seen the girls and party scene down there? All of these blue chippers gets bribed with cash, girls, drugs, alcohol, etc. To think Ole Miss is just some outlier in recruiting is incredibly naive.

UGA just signed a 5* OT from the fucking Bronx and all everyone said was, "Boy, Kirby sure can recruit!" UGA hasn't won a title since 1980!

NCAA coming in hot!

Your complete and total defense of Ole Miss is perplexing. Ole Miss was clearly cheating their asses off and they were being brash with it. They're deserving of everything they get.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:01 AM   #129070
    pearljammer

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Your complete and total defense of Ole Miss is perplexing. Ole Miss was clearly cheating their asses off and they were being brash with it. They're deserving of everything they get.
    Seems desperate to link it to Bama, for whatever reason.
    Old 02-23-2017, 07:47 AM   #129071
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

My Tour Central Stats

Defending Ole Miss because the NCAA is a joke. Not "desperate" to link Bama either. Just an example no one seems to notice/care about.

Penn State could bowling two years after their mess. Nothing will happen to Baylor. "Cheating" seems very minor compared to what the NCAA has dealt with recently and the media will slam Freeze and it just seems dumb.

I get why it would raise eyebrows, but that's not right and that's the problem. When people find it odd that Ole Miss pulls in 5* out of state guys and then applaud these schools who have top 5 classes every single year are just assuming they do it the right way. Makes no sense. My whole thing is people want to point fingers and judge Ole Miss and act like their school/team follows all the rules and that just kills me. If you think your team follows the rules then you have your head in the sand. I don't care who you cheer for
    Old 02-23-2017, 07:53 AM   #129072
    Lee3691

Shows Seen: 129

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Defending Ole Miss because the NCAA is a joke. Not "desperate" to link Bama either. Just an example no one seems to notice/care about.

Penn State could bowling two years after their mess. Nothing will happen to Baylor. "Cheating" seems very minor compared to what the NCAA has dealt with recently and the media will slam Freeze and it just seems dumb.

I get why it would raise eyebrows, but that's not right and that's the problem. When people find it odd that Ole Miss pulls in 5* out of state guys and then applaud these schools who have top 5 classes every single year are just assuming they do it the right way. Makes no sense. My whole thing is people want to point fingers and judge Ole Miss and act like their school/team follows all the rules and that just kills me. If you think your team follows the rules then you have your head in the sand. I don't care who you cheer for
    Except for your last paragraph, nothing you just typed makes any sense - it is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever read. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

College football is dirty, but in some cases it is dirtier than others, and when you are caught, you are caught. Ohio State lost a chance to play for a national championship because a coach didn't tell the truth about when he discovered some players traded their own property for free tattoos.
    Lee3691 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-23-2017, 08:12 AM   #129073
    emu513

My Tour Central Stats

I don't mean to imply that I give one shit that Ole Miss was paying for recruits, because I don't. Just saying how obvious it was.
    Old 02-23-2017, 08:12 AM   #129074
    CrushB610

Shows Seen: 69

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Ole Miss got caught for recruiting violations?... whaaaaaaat?
    Old 02-23-2017, 08:27 AM   #129075
    pearljammer

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Here's what you're missing either because you're ignorant to it, or because you forgot: Most teams that sign 5 stars recruited those players for years and put in a lot of work. Ole Miss signed guys like Treadwell and Tunsil and got commitments from them after having not been shown any interest by those guys the whole time. They were convinced to visit the campus at the 11th hr and boom, they're committed out of the blue. That raised the eyebrows of everyone in cfb.
    Old 02-23-2017, 11:05 AM   #129076
    pearljammer

My Tour Central Stats

Depending on how credible you consider Outkick the Coverage to be, this amount goes beyond what I think most colleges do.
    http://fanbuzz.com/story/latest-alle...to-one-family/
    Old 02-23-2017, 04:06 PM   #129077
    sully51
    Hook 'Em

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

I find it hilarious that boosters from the nations poorest state may be paying hundreds of thousands of dollars to kids playing college football.
    I don't care how wealthy you are, football isn't that important. Maybe do something with your money to make mississippi a better place lol
    Old 02-23-2017, 04:44 PM   #129078
    mthawk07
    In all kinds of weather

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Same person who told me about $200K to Treadwell can 100% confirm the Nkemdiche story.
    Old 02-23-2017, 05:57 PM   #129079
    emu513

My Tour Central Stats

Well, to be fair, I'd bet that the success of the state flagship university football team has a a large economic benefit to both the university and the state as a whole.

But no, not a single booster who pays for recruits has ever thought or cared about that.

Last edited by emu513; 02-23-2017 at 05:58 PM.
    emu513 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-23-2017, 07:21 PM   #129080
    recentlyJTR41
    Boognish

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pearljammer View Post
    Here's what you're missing either because you're ignorant to it, or because you forgot: Most teams that sign 5 stars recruited those players for years and put in a lot of work. Ole Miss signed guys like Treadwell and Tunsil and got commitments from them after having not been shown any interest by those guys the whole time. They were convinced to visit the campus at the 11th hr and boom, they're committed out of the blue. That raised the eyebrows of everyone in cfb.
    No I get that and I'm not saying Ole Miss is innocent at all. They broke the rules and it paid off for a little bit. My whole thing is I don't like the NCAA and everyone is calling Ole Miss coaches/boosters/etc "immoral" and "corrupt." These are CFB players, not fucking city/state officials. They are literally making an incredible difference in people's lives who may be poor or in a bad situation. These rules are outdated and useless.

Outside prostitution, paying college athletes is the only thing in America where it is frowned upon to pay someone for their services. Think about that. The NCAA/media has made it their mission to convince us that paying student athletes is some sort of heinous act. Helping poor kids is wrong? This isn't a pity party for student athletes either they have it made when it comes to free education/facilites/exposure/connections, but they deserve compensation for making their schools millions of dollars.

That's my problem. The NCAA does not support the student athlete and it shows. They can't just eliminate the rule, but they can look the other way or lower the punishment. It's the only league (NCAA) where if you win a championship there's a chance you may have to give it back one day.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sully51 View Post
    I find it hilarious that boosters from the nations poorest state may be paying hundreds of thousands of dollars to kids playing college football.
    I don't care how wealthy you are, football isn't that important. Maybe do something with your money to make mississippi a better place lol
    It helps the school out immensely. I saw some numbers earlier and I'll try to find them again to show you. Ole Miss's donor revenue went up like 14-15 million dollars from 2012 to 2014. Their ticket revenue went through the roof. They upgraded their stadium and I believe applications went up as well (will have to check that).

A winning CFB program is the best exposure a non Ivy league school can get. Auburn's applications went up after 2010 for example. I'd be willing to bet that Ole Miss was one of the top 5 schools most mentioned in the media from 2014-2016 because of them beating Alabama twice. The exposure was the most they have probably ever had.
    Old 02-24-2017, 07:48 PM   #129081
    Julia Roberts
    Pretty Woman

My Tour Central Stats

Don't know if you all saw this story:
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/23/health...rnd/index.html

The dad is our old friend HolyCow, who used to post in this thread all the time. Old timers know he is a super nice human being. I hope for the best for his family.

"Count down the time that you have left,
    In a jar try to catch try to capture it"
    Julia Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-24-2017, 11:53 PM   #129082
    tyler3440

Shows Seen: 17

My Tour Central Stats

This whole ole miss situation is fantastic
    Old 02-25-2017, 12:18 AM   #129083
    tyler3440

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I don't think they should get the "death penalty" either, but it's not going to bother me in the least if they get handed major sanctions. This is the same school that tried to cover up a murder of a basketball player, all while slandering his name while he was dead. Baylor is scum.
    Terrible situation. The NCAA should make them change their name to rape and murder U.
    Old 02-25-2017, 12:23 AM   #129084
    tyler3440

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sully51 View Post
    Every state has poor places. Nothing fantastic about this state but nothing wrong with it eaither. Every other state just likes to shit on Mississippi.

Last edited by tyler3440; 02-25-2017 at 12:25 AM.
    tyler3440 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-25-2017, 12:44 AM   #129085
    tyler3440

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Ole miss is the biggest joke
    Old 02-25-2017, 12:53 AM   #129086
    tyler3440

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by emu513 View Post
    Well that's quite the misrepresentation of what was said. Ole Miss pulling Tunsil, Treadwell, and Nkemdiche in that one class was without a doubt an outlier for that program and would be for every single program of similar stature that Ole Miss was at the time. If Minnesota signs three five star players next February, I suspect everyone would raise an eyebrow.
    There is hardly any appeal to ole miss besides a large sum of cash. The whole school smells like garbage.
    Old 02-25-2017, 03:57 AM   #129087
    Jake

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Julia Roberts View Post
    Don't know if you all saw this story:
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/23/health...rnd/index.html

The dad is our old friend HolyCow, who used to post in this thread all the time. Old timers know he is a super nice human being. I hope for the best for his family.
    wow. that's a sad story.

He's popped up a few times in interviews on the mothership's radio programs, he's a very good writer and reporter.

I hope for the best for he and his wife - that's really sad...
    Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-25-2017, 09:02 AM   #129088
    emu513

My Tour Central Stats

Tough situation for Royce. He's one of the OGs of this thread. I can't even imagine being placed in that situation.
    Old 02-25-2017, 09:05 AM   #129089
    snow1868
    Party in the back!

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah, I saw the initial post before it went viral but he posted about the situation a while back. Just sad, sad stuff. We had our disagreements in here plenty of times but he's a good dude, feel terrible for him and his wife.

Old 02-25-2017, 04:18 PM   #129090
    justink

Shows Seen: 51

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Baker Mayfield was arrested early Saturday in Fayetteville, Arkansas, for public intoxication, disorderly conduct and resisting arrest

But we all know how Stoops responds to such things. Like, not at all.
    justink is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
    football , ncaa