Link Park's Chester Bennington committed suicide - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 07-23-2017, 04:36 PM   #91
crashintonickdm
Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Link Park's Chester Bennington committed suicide

If you kill yourself obviously your frame of mind is not right. So thinking if it's selfish or not probably isn't even happening.

Come on people

Last edited by crashintonickdm; 07-23-2017 at 04:37 PM.
crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-23-2017, 04:36 PM   #92
    jmkratt
    You want heavy?

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigeyedpigs View Post
    Yea, I know it isn't a popular opinion and my apologies if you are offended. I'm not trying to be asshole, however I do think its selfish.
    I'm not offended but do appreciate your comment, you're not being an asshole. I am just disappointed people share that sentiment. I agree with Crowley. Mental health is legit, it's not weakness or selfishness. I don't see how anyone can judge a person without walking in their shoes.
    Old 07-23-2017, 04:58 PM   #93
    Roose13
    Ring the Bell

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

People think suicide is just a snap decision made by a sane person giving up. I hope that no one here, regardless how stupid their opinions are on a lot of things, or anywhere else, goes through a depression severe enough to warp the mind into thinking suicide is a solution.

NHL Thread Banner
    -2013-14 Keith Yandle Award winner-
    -2014-15 Buccigross Award winner-
    -2015-16 Darren Dreger Award winner-
    -2016-17 Damien Cox Award winner-
    Roose13 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-23-2017, 06:03 PM   #94
    bigeyedpigs

Shows Seen: 47

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmkratt View Post
    I'm not offended but do appreciate your comment, you're not being an asshole. I am just disappointed people share that sentiment. I agree with Crowley. Mental health is legit, it's not weakness or selfishness. I don't see how anyone can judge a person without walking in their shoes.
    I completely agree with your stance on mental health and walking in another's shoes. Depression is a terrible thing and can change a person entirely. I don't think a person can ever really judge what another is going through. Some people can empathize, having been in similar circumstances, and have their perceived idea but not actually know. I don't believe depression or mental illness should be categorized as weakness what so ever. Life is hard and unfortunately bad things happen to good people, I'd just prefer not to see them quit.
    bigeyedpigs is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2017, 09:35 AM   #95
    zajDmB1

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I completely agree with your stance on mental health and walking in another's shoes. Depression is a terrible thing and can change a person entirely. I don't think a person can ever really judge what another is going through. Some people can empathize, having been in similar circumstances, and have their perceived idea but not actually know. I don't believe depression or mental illness should be categorized as weakness what so ever. Life is hard and unfortunately bad things happen to good people, I'd just prefer not to see them quit.
    But that's the thing...it's not really 'quitting.' You can't think someone 'deciding' to kill themselves is anything close to being in the same frame of mind as when they go to the grocery store or something. It's probably not even like being drunk. It's obviously some super fucked up brain chemistry going on.

If you're acknowledging it's a mental illness, think about it like a mental illness. Do schizophrenics choose to have that? No, of course not. But it's a physiological condition.
    zajDmB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2017, 10:37 AM   #96
    bigeyedpigs

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zajDmB1 View Post
    But that's the thing...it's not really 'quitting.' You can't think someone 'deciding' to kill themselves is anything close to being in the same frame of mind as when they go to the grocery store or something. It's probably not even like being drunk. It's obviously some super fucked up brain chemistry going on.

If you're acknowledging it's a mental illness, think about it like a mental illness. Do schizophrenics choose to have that? No, of course not. But it's a physiological condition.
    You are correct schizophrenia is not something a person would choose to have, and honestly I have no idea what mental issues this man may have been dealing with. I do know depression can be caused by becoming chemically dependent on drugs, however people that are depressed often self medicate, which in turn is a dangerous cycle. Maybe I should have used more tact and quit may have been a poor choice of words, but in the end i still believe it is a choice, whether the brain is functioning rationally or not.
    Old 07-24-2017, 11:18 AM   #97
    zajDmB1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You are correct schizophrenia is not something a person would choose to have, and honestly I have no idea what mental issues this man may have been dealing with. I do know depression can be caused by becoming chemically dependent on drugs, however people that are depressed often self medicate, which in turn is a dangerous cycle. Maybe I should have used more tact and quit may have been a poor choice of words, but in the end i still believe it is a choice, whether the brain is functioning rationally or not.
    I don't see how you can think a rationally functioning brain choice and an irrationally functioning brain choice are the same thing though...
    Old 07-24-2017, 11:21 AM   #98
    ShotgunDMB

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Cant really listen to their music without cringing these says, but Hybrid Theory was heavy in my rotation in high school. RIP
    ShotgunDMB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2017, 02:33 PM   #99
    bigeyedpigs

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I don't see how you can think a rationally functioning brain choice and an irrationally functioning brain choice are the same thing though...
    I don't, however I do agree a choice is made whether done irrationally or rationally. I'm not comparing schizophrenia to depression, an unmedicated person during an episode can make extremely irrational decisions, due to neurological issues. However take two forms of depression, seasonal affective disorder and manic depression. While both could be severe and greatly effect a person's life, those with manic, especially during upswings are more prone to make irrational decisions during the two. Although, I think honestly at some point in every persons life they will have symptoms of depression and they choose how they deal with it.

Obviously the person in question wasn't making a rational decision, but did decide the day it would be done, that is a choice. I think part of the problem with suicide is the media, in many ways it's glorified and romanticized, while people that look for help are often scrutinized and perceived as weak.
    I'm not trying to be an asshole and I know it isn't a popular opinion but I understand depression pretty well, one of the reasons I'm probably such a big dmb fan.
    Old 07-24-2017, 02:48 PM   #100
    zajDmB1

My Tour Central Stats

I guess I'm having trouble seeing how an irrational choice is even something to argue and put on someone though, since it's obviously not their normal state of mind. Especially in framing it as something selfish to do.

If you use that logic you have to apply it to every disorder there is. So anyone is choosing to do anything no matter how fucked their brain is. Normal, healthy Chester did not kill himself. Messed-up brain Chester did. Whether it was a relative moment of extreme weakness that he couldn't get out of and it ended up for the worst, or it was just a constant deterioration doesn't really make a difference, IMO.

I just think calling it a choice in that way makes it seem like it was a rational thought. I just can't get behind an irrational thought being a choice if they whole idea of an irrational thought is that you can't really control it.
    Old 07-24-2017, 04:11 PM   #101
    bigeyedpigs

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I guess I'm having trouble seeing how an irrational choice is even something to argue and put on someone though, since it's obviously not their normal state of mind. Especially in framing it as something selfish to do.

If you use that logic you have to apply it to every disorder there is. So anyone is choosing to do anything no matter how fucked their brain is. Normal, healthy Chester did not kill himself. Messed-up brain Chester did. Whether it was a relative moment of extreme weakness that he couldn't get out of and it ended up for the worst, or it was just a constant deterioration doesn't really make a difference, IMO.

I just think calling it a choice in that way makes it seem like it was a rational thought. I just can't get behind an irrational thought being a choice if they whole idea of an irrational thought is that you can't really control it.
    I understand your point, but let me say this and I'm not trying to be crass. An irrational thought that one can't control is considered impulsive behavior, but the person still makes the choice to engage in that behavior and sometimes does know it's harmful. He chose to off himself on Cornell's birthday, not impulsively before or after, it was a choice. Let's not pretend this guy was living in the walking dead or was a struggling to get by like many Americans do everyday. He was a multimillionaire with access to many resources. He made a choice, just like many people with mental illnesses, depression, and all sorts of busted stuff make the choice to lace up their boots bend a smile and trudge through the day.
    Old 07-24-2017, 04:57 PM   #102
    defcon
    :rattled

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Defcon, do you really think people are in their 'normal' state of mind when they kill themselves?
    I believe, that in limited cases, yes, you can be in your rational mind and kill yourself.

Take, for example, the 9/11 Jumpers. It isn't very hard to imagine what was going through their head. The simple choice of burning up, an agonizing death, or taking matters into their own hands and jumping, a certain, but quick, virtually instantaneous death.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lee3691 View Post
    Perhaps better wording is that Defcon makes a shitty point when he thinks if he had some more money, all of his problems would be solved.
    No, pretty much got all my problems behind me but money. I understand many on these boards think I'm just chock full of problems but really its minor Seinfeld shit. Things are pretty good right now. If I could only get out of debt, that'd solve my problems. Until then, I can't really move on in life.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShotgunDMB View Post
    Why does defcon have a free palestine avi? so random.
    I'm not really at liberty to discuss. A particular moderator considers "Support for Palestine = Support for Terrorism" Many here consider said moderator to be vexatious. I said nothing derogatory. Might be a good idea to just go ahead and make me a mod if this person is a mod. Clearly they can't distinguish between feigned personal butthurt and legitimate discussion.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmkratt View Post
    Seems to me that sentiment is spoken by a man who has never had that kind of money and couldn't possibly understand anything about that perspective but offers his opinion nonetheless.
    Why don't you just address me directly? You don't know a god damned thing about me other than you don't like what I post on an internet messageboard. Want me to judge? You sound like a spoiled, entitled, rich fuck who was born with a golden cock in their mouth and hasn't had to work for shit in life. How does that sound? STFU.

Quote:
    See your getting a shit ton for this post but honestly it's the truth. What is sad is this guy had six children and people that depended on him for their livelihood .Life's hard, it isn't easy, but you can't just quit. At least choose to survive for your children.
    Exactly.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrCrowley View Post
    You have quoted and then elaborated on the least intellectual post I may have ever seen on ants.

Mental Health. It's real. Educate yourself.

Do better.

Justin thinks I am an asshole. The fucks I give are more like chuckles.. and sighs
    Actually, I'm very educated about mental health. I've been pretty fucking open about it on here. I've done three stints in psychiatric wards. I've been through more shit than most other human beings can possibly survive. Four times in life I've had the rug literally pulled out from under me in a matter of hours or days. Twice was my fault. The other two times were out of nowhere. I've attempted suicide, which I could have done, cry for help. Alcohol and sleeping pills (doesn't work, you just throw up), and there's not a day that goes by that I don't think about the concept of suicide. Currently have no ideations. I'm stronger for what I've been through.

You come on here with your pseudo-intellectualism as if you're a fucking PhD in Psychology. Nice classic use of hyperbole (the least intellectual post you've ever seen on ants) and unnecessary verbosity, but I'm sorry to tell you, you're wrong.

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."

I'm proud to say I'm doing pretty fucking great today. Sure, there's problems that come up, but I deal with them. But I'll be damned if I'm going to sit here and read you telling me to educate myself.

Ignoranus. (Intentional)
    Old 07-24-2017, 05:23 PM   #103
    jmkratt
    You want heavy?

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by defcon View Post
    I believe, that in limited cases, yes, you can be in your rational mind and kill yourself.

Take, for example, the 9/11 Jumpers. It isn't very hard to imagine what was going through their head. The simple choice of burning up, an agonizing death, or taking matters into their own hands and jumping, a certain, but quick, virtually instantaneous death.

No, pretty much got all my problems behind me but money. I understand many on these boards think I'm just chock full of problems but really its minor Seinfeld shit. Things are pretty good right now. If I could only get out of debt, that'd solve my problems. Until then, I can't really move on in life.

I'm not really at liberty to discuss. A particular moderator considers "Support for Palestine = Support for Terrorism" Many here consider said moderator to be vexatious. I said nothing derogatory. Might be a good idea to just go ahead and make me a mod if this person is a mod. Clearly they can't distinguish between feigned personal butthurt and legitimate discussion.

Why don't you just address me directly? You don't know a god damned thing about me other than you don't like what I post on an internet messageboard. Want me to judge? You sound like a spoiled, entitled, rich fuck who was born with a golden cock in their mouth and hasn't had to work for shit in life. How does that sound? STFU.

Exactly.

Actually, I'm very educated about mental health. I've been pretty fucking open about it on here. I've done three stints in psychiatric wards. I've been through more shit than most other human beings can possibly survive. Four times in life I've had the rug literally pulled out from under me in a matter of hours or days. Twice was my fault. The other two times were out of nowhere. I've attempted suicide, which I could have done, cry for help. Alcohol and sleeping pills (doesn't work, you just throw up), and there's not a day that goes by that I don't think about the concept of suicide. Currently have no ideations. I'm stronger for what I've been through.

You come on here with your pseudo-intellectualism as if you're a fucking PhD in Psychology. Nice classic use of hyperbole (the least intellectual post you've ever seen on ants) and unnecessary verbosity, but I'm sorry to tell you, you're wrong.

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."

I'm proud to say I'm doing pretty fucking great today. Sure, there's problems that come up, but I deal with them. But I'll be damned if I'm going to sit here and read you telling me to educate myself.

Ignoranus. (Intentional)
    This is gold
    Old 07-24-2017, 05:25 PM   #104
    Roose13
    Ring the Bell

My Tour Central Stats

Defcon just compared jumping at 9/11 to depression. I quit

NHL Thread Banner
    -2013-14 Keith Yandle Award winner-
    -2014-15 Buccigross Award winner-
    -2015-16 Darren Dreger Award winner-
    -2016-17 Damien Cox Award winner-
    Roose13 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2017, 05:27 PM   #105
    jmkratt
    You want heavy?

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roose13 View Post
    Old 07-24-2017, 05:36 PM   #106
    TwoStep2888

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by defcon View Post

Exactly.

Ignoranus. (Intentional)

Quote:
    Old 07-24-2017, 05:41 PM   #107
    justink

Shows Seen: 51

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You should quit. It's really not at all surprising that Roose wouldnt be smart enough to understand the point he's making, yet take the opportunity to troll someone over his own ignorance.

Quote:
    The so-called ‘psychotically depressed’ person who tries to kill herself doesn’t do so out of quote ‘hopelessness’ or any abstract conviction that life’s assets and debits do not square. And surely not because death seems suddenly appealing. The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire’s flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It’s not desiring the fall; it’s terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling ‘Don’t!’ and ‘Hang on!’, can understand the jump. Not really. You’d have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling.

-David Foster Wallace (suicide 2008)

Last edited by justink; 07-24-2017 at 05:44 PM.
    justink is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2017, 06:03 PM   #108
    OK_Ant
    Custom User Title

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You don't think those folks were immediately depressed?

It's like people think depression is just one state of mind.
    OK_Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2017, 06:39 PM   #109
    bigeyedpigs

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OK_Ant View Post
    You don't think those folks were immediately depressed?

It's like people think depression is just one state of mind.
    For one to choose to leap to death, over what else they could have faced is a horrific feeling I'm sure none of us could clearly grasp.
    Old 07-24-2017, 06:45 PM   #110
    jmkratt
    You want heavy?

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    For one to choose to leap to death, over what else they could have faced is a horrific feeling I'm sure none of us could clearly grasp.
    Agreed
    Old 07-24-2017, 06:48 PM   #111
    kydmb99
    Jorts

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

That's such a bad comparison. The depressed person has the opportunity to live. The person jumping from a burning building knows death is imminent and unavoidable and chooses what they see to be the quickest and least painful.
    kydmb99 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2017, 06:53 PM   #112
    bigeyedpigs

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kydmb99 View Post
    That's such a bad comparison. The depressed person has the opportunity to live. The person jumping from a burning building knows death is imminent and unavoidable and chooses what they see to be the quickest and least painful.
    There is no rational way to compare a multimillion dollar artist, about to go on tour, with six children that decided to hang himself to a person that jumped on 9/11. None
    Old 07-24-2017, 07:01 PM   #113
    scrock25

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Amazing that this site is now arguing about depression and suicide.

Everything turns into a pissing match.

Pay your respects and move the fuck on, JFC.
    scrock25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-24-2017, 07:04 PM   #114
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

people jumped on 9/11 because they chose to go instantly without feeling anything. both options end in death, but hitting the ground at that speed makes it painless. otherwise you burn to death and suffer for a few seconds.

unbelieveable.
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2017, 05:07 AM   #115
    Gene Parmesan

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Since when is an online message board some place to pay respect? Pretty much all snark, hyperbole and arguments about food.
    Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2017, 05:08 AM   #116
    Gene Parmesan

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
    If you kill yourself obviously your frame of mind is not right. So thinking if it's selfish or not probably isn't even happening.

Come on people
    You don't have to be conscious of your selfishness to be selfish.
    Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2017, 05:50 AM   #117
    justink

Shows Seen: 51

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kydmb99 View Post
    for the person that jumps, it's one and the same.

...that's the point of the analogy.
    justink is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-25-2017, 09:27 AM   #118
    zajDmB1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I understand your point, but let me say this and I'm not trying to be crass. An irrational thought that one can't control is considered impulsive behavior, but the person still makes the choice to engage in that behavior and sometimes does know it's harmful. He chose to off himself on Cornell's birthday, not impulsively before or after, it was a choice. Let's not pretend this guy was living in the walking dead or was a struggling to get by like many Americans do everyday. He was a multimillionaire with access to many resources. He made a choice, just like many people with mental illnesses, depression, and all sorts of busted stuff make the choice to lace up their boots bend a smile and trudge through the day.
    Money doesn't matter and I think the last sentence assumes there's an on-off switch for depression, not a giant sliding scale of degrees.
    Old 07-25-2017, 09:28 AM   #119
    bigeyedpigs

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
    You don't have to be conscious of your selfishness to be selfish.
    Very true. By the wayI absolutely love your screen name, bluths are back in 18!
    Old 07-25-2017, 09:31 AM   #120
    zajDmB1

My Tour Central Stats

Re: jumping...I mean...you could argue both scenarios could be a no choice thing...you could also argue the mind of someone faced with fiery death or jumping is acting on pure self-preservation instinct. We could argue back and forth if that's a 'rational' mind or not. Also, many people believe the heat essentially repels the body so there literally was no thought about it.