What was the last movie you watched? - Page 2800 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 04-03-2014, 01:56 PM   #83971
AlpineValley804
Casey

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Re: What was the last movie you watched?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby View Post
Watched Taxi Driver for the first time last night.

There must be something about Scorsese that everyone else but me sees. Goodfellas was a great film but many of his movies, to me, are overrated. Raging Bull, Taxi Driver, Departed....all good movies. Very good even. But the first two on the list are considered some of the best movies of all time. I just dont see it. I enjoyed all three but there must be something that just doesnt resonate with me because they are not THAT special IMO.

Honestly the most interesting character in that movie was Scorsese's cameo - the guy in the suit waiting outside the apartment. That was a great scene.
For me, Taxi Driver gets much better with repeat viewings. I'd give it another try in the future and see if it clicks more.
Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
Something about power boosts with anal plugs didn't quite put it above Shawshank Redemption for me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route_2 View Post
Both movies do have anal, though.
AlpineValley804 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 04-03-2014, 02:13 PM   #83972
    dontshootmydog
    KillHimHonorably

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Just watched The American cuz it was on netflix and why not, right? All that movie did was reaffirm why I do not watch Clooney flix. Just wasn't good. Maybe if it were made in the 60s or 70s. Even then it would've been a bore.
    They [the lots] don't officially open until 2 hours before the show, but they have always opened before that, usually around 2:30 - 3:00
    dontshootmydog is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-03-2014, 02:21 PM   #83973
    AlpineValley804
    Casey

My Tour Central Stats

I enjoy Clooney a great deal, but it's actually hard for me to pinpoint my absolute least favorite movie of his - he's truly been in some terrible ones. Most notably of the ones I've seen is the aforementioned The American, then of course Batman & Robin and Ocean's 12, and most recently Monuments Men.
    Something about power boosts with anal plugs didn't quite put it above Shawshank Redemption for me
    Quote:
    Old 04-03-2014, 02:21 PM   #83974
    Jake

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontshootmydog View Post
    Just watched The American cuz it was on netflix and why not, right? All that movie did was reaffirm why I do not watch Clooney flix. Just wasn't good. Maybe if it were made in the 60s or 70s. Even then it would've been a bore.
    Top 10 worst films I've ever seen
    Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-03-2014, 02:37 PM   #83975
    dontshootmydog
    KillHimHonorably

Shows Seen: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlpineValley804 View Post
    I enjoy Clooney a great deal, but it's actually hard for me to pinpoint my absolute least favorite movie of his - he's truly been in some terrible ones. Most notably of the ones I've seen is the aforementioned The American, then of course Batman & Robin and Ocean's 12, and most recently Monuments Men.
    Monuments Men really that awful? That's a shame. Usually anything with Goodman and Murray are saved by their presence.
    They [the lots] don't officially open until 2 hours before the show, but they have always opened before that, usually around 2:30 - 3:00
    dontshootmydog is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-03-2014, 03:52 PM   #83976
    AlpineValley804
    Casey

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dontshootmydog View Post
    Monuments Men really that awful? That's a shame. Usually anything with Goodman and Murray are saved by their presence.
    I thought it was dreadful. The character development was virtually non-existent and it was dramatically inept. It never felt like anything was at stake.
    Quote:
    Old 04-03-2014, 10:24 PM   #83977
    luke7

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Big thumbs up to "Captain America: The Winter Soldier." I give it a solid 4/5.
    I saw it in IMAX 3-D, I recommend seeing it in standard 2-D.
    Old 04-03-2014, 10:31 PM   #83978
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlpineValley804 View Post
    For me, Taxi Driver gets much better with repeat viewings. I'd give it another try in the future and see if it clicks more.
    I agree with this - Taxi Driver sinks in more and more the more you watch it. The first time I saw it I felt similar, now it's one of my all-time favorite movies.

DMB 2023: Nashville, Milwaukee, Deer Creek x2, Chicago x2
    AlexK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-04-2014, 09:43 AM   #83979
    cwsrule88

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

I agree about Taxi Driver, the first time I saw it I wasn't that big of a fan. I watched it a couple years later and it is probably my favorite Scorsese movie.
    Old 04-04-2014, 04:03 PM   #83980
    Gene Parmesan

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Drive-In Double Feature tonight:

Muppets Most Wanted
    Noah

I haven't been to a drive-in since Back To The Future in 1987. Hopefully the kid falls asleep at the start of Noah.
    Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-05-2014, 11:33 AM   #83981
    DrewD55

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

The Natural - Director's Cut

First time watching, and I wasn't disappointed with it, but after watching the theatrical cut roughly 9,000 times over the last 30 years, it was a little jarring. Much darker, and, I won't say it was a detriment, but it was much more apparent than the cut we all know and (hopefully--it's the best baseball movie ever, period) love. I'm not sure that makes for stronger storytelling, but it did flesh things out a bit (except that they were things that really didn't need much more detail).

The original theatrical cut remains one of my all-time favorites. It's a fairy tale to the game I love. Roy Hobbs is Babe Ruth, Joe Jackson, and Ted Williams all rolled into one. It's a beautiful period piece that was shot in and around the area where I grew up, so I can look at it and say "Hey, the Parkside Candy Store, where Roy and Iris see each other for the first time in 16 years! My late grandparents went on dates there when my grandfather was courting my grandma", or "Hey, Buffalo's War Memorial Stadium. I went to the last pro ballgame ever played there" or (my favorite) "Hey, the guy playing the carnival barker at the Home Run Game that The Whammer is playing: I used to mow his lawn."

The film may not be the best on its merits: it meanders, it's a bit of a hagiography, but dammit, it's the game that I love, and it's deserving of one. Barry Levinson made a good point on MLB Network a year or so ago: Roy hitting the HR into the lights at the end may seem a bit over the top. Until you remember that Kirk Gibson hit one in Game 1 of the '88 World Series, Bobby Thompson hit "The Shot Heard 'Round The World", Bill Mazeroski hit one to win the '60 Series, and Curt Schilling was amazing in 7 innings with his foot bleeding all over the place. Sometimes, fiction matches up to truth.

4/5 stars (I'd give it the full five, but I think the theatrical cut had a tighter edit, and showed more than told, which this one did. There's something about a bit of mystery in the plotline that the director's cut takes away, but which I think the original cut plays perfectly).
    Old 04-05-2014, 11:37 AM   #83982
    jackisback24
    He's using hypnosis!

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by luke7 View Post
    Big thumbs up to "Captain America: The Winter Soldier." I give it a solid 4/5.
    I saw it in IMAX 3-D, I recommend seeing it in standard 2-D.
    Is standard IMAX okay? Not sure if you didn't like the IMAX part or 3D part.
    jackisback24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-05-2014, 11:52 AM   #83983
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Haven't watched much of anything, but i am currently in possession of Amélie, Django Unchained, & Deathproof. Need to find the time to watch them. All 3 are decent size in length.
    It's not called the Great Depression because it was an awesome fucking time.
    Speilmen230 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-05-2014, 11:52 AM   #83984
    dmbbearcat

Shows Seen: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrewD55 View Post

First time watching, and I wasn't disappointed with it, but after watching the theatrical cut roughly 9,000 times over the last 30 years, it was a little jarring. Much darker, and, I won't say it was a detriment, but it was much more apparent than the cut we all know and (hopefully--it's the best baseball movie ever, period) love. I'm not sure that makes for stronger storytelling, but it did flesh things out a bit (except that they were things that really didn't need much more detail).

The original theatrical cut remains one of my all-time favorites. It's a fairy tale to the game I love. Roy Hobbs is Babe Ruth, Joe Jackson, and Ted Williams all rolled into one. It's a beautiful period piece that was shot in and around the area where I grew up, so I can look at it and say "Hey, the Parkside Candy Store, where Roy and Iris see each other for the first time in 16 years! My late grandparents went on dates there when my grandfather was courting my grandma", or "Hey, Buffalo's War Memorial Stadium. I went to the last pro ballgame ever played there" or (my favorite) "Hey, the guy playing the carnival barker at the Home Run Game that The Whammer is playing: I used to mow his lawn."

The film may not be the best on its merits: it meanders, it's a bit of a hagiography, but dammit, it's the game that I love, and it's deserving of one. Barry Levinson made a good point on MLB Network a year or so ago: Roy hitting the HR into the lights at the end may seem a bit over the top. Until you remember that Kirk Gibson hit one in Game 1 of the '88 World Series, Bobby Thompson hit "The Shot Heard 'Round The World", Bill Mazeroski hit one to win the '60 Series, and Curt Schilling was amazing in 7 innings with his foot bleeding all over the place. Sometimes, fiction matches up to truth.

4/5 stars (I'd give it the full five, but I think the theatrical cut had a tighter edit, and showed more than told, which this one did. There's something about a bit of mystery in the plotline that the director's cut takes away, but which I think the original cut plays perfectly).
    After reading the book, the movie is damn near un-watchable for me. It isn't a bad movie by any stretch, but it just does not compare to the book at all.
    dmbbearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-05-2014, 11:53 AM   #83985
    dmbbearcat

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Speilmen230 View Post
    Haven't watched much of anything, but i am currently in possession of Amélie, Django Unchained, & Deathproof. Need to find the time to watch them. All 3 are decent size in length.
    Have you seen Amelie? It's brilliant - one of my favorite foreign films ever. Also one of my favorite overall films.
    Old 04-05-2014, 11:58 AM   #83986
    Speilmen230
    Case of the Roo Blues

My Tour Central Stats

I have not. A buddy of mine lent me it on Blu-Ray and said i need to see it. Same with Django & Deathproof, but from a different friend who is a Tarantino buff.
    It's not called the Great Depression because it was an awesome fucking time.
    Speilmen230 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-05-2014, 12:06 PM   #83987
    DrewD55

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbbearcat View Post
    After reading the book, the movie is damn near un-watchable for me. It isn't a bad movie by any stretch, but it just does not compare to the book at all.
    I've read the book, as well, and (after seeing the movie first) it kind of broke my heart. I think the filmmakers have made it pretty clear that the film was "inspired by" the book, rather than adapted from it. Frankly, while the book is actually pretty good, it's also pretty heavy-handed: the allegories to the King Arthur legends are kind of on the nose, and the sad ending does nothing for me. Not that there shouldn't be sad endings, but this is one where I will forgive the adaptation from straying from the source material. As I said, the ending's happened, and it's happened more than once. I'm content to let it lie as a lettter for baseball at its best.
    Old 04-05-2014, 12:23 PM   #83988
    Gene Parmesan

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Noah - I knew it was based on a fairy tale, but I really wasn't expecting the Watchers. I didn't get any emotional payoff with any of the story. There's a reason this movie was released in March and it's because it is far from Aronofsky's best work. It has some of his trademark shots and is worth seeing if you are a fan, but I think it ranks at the bottom of his list of work.
    Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-05-2014, 12:29 PM   #83989
    Jake

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbbearcat View Post
    Have you seen Amelie? It's brilliant - one of my favorite foreign films ever. Also one of my favorite overall films.
    Amelie is the best love story I've ever seen.

Ghost Dog; The Way of the Samurai.

haven't seen it in 15 years, but gave it another crack (it's streaming on Netflix). Excellent. absolutely loved it. Didn't even remember it from watching it way back when, but it's so good. It's basically a re-telling of Le Samurai (60's french film) set in 'modern' times.

if you've never seen it, I strongly recommend putting it in your queue and giving it a shot.
    Old 04-05-2014, 02:30 PM   #83990
    jane88

Shows Seen: 57

My Tour Central Stats

Sunset Boulevard for the first time.
    jane88 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-05-2014, 10:45 PM   #83991
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Watching Pitch Perfect. This movie is so awesome.
    Old 04-05-2014, 11:14 PM   #83992
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Seriously. Awesome.
    Old 04-05-2014, 11:16 PM   #83993
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Frozen. Awesome Disney movie!
    Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
    This might be one of the single greatest solo posting performances in NHL Thread history. Well done, Greg, and congrats on the win. Was a fun game.
    aeroshady is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-05-2014, 11:19 PM   #83994
    dmbetc
    Tortured Mod Department

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    Seriously. Awesome.
    Les-be-honest, is it really?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kev87lads View Post
    Go Kings Go.
    dmbetc is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-06-2014, 06:20 AM   #83995
    Jake

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

it's like a totally different movie from the original theatrical release.

I liked the striking out of "Babe Ruth" at the beginning at the fair.
    Old 04-06-2014, 08:52 AM   #83996
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Watching Pitch Perfect. This movie is so awesome.
    Quote:
    Seriously. Awesome.
    It really is. This movie does a better job of telling a story than a lot of serious movies. Looking forward to the sequel in 2015.
    rconverse is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-06-2014, 08:53 AM   #83997
    rconverse

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbetc View Post
    Les-be-honest, is it really?
    Yes.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    it's like a totally different movie from the original theatrical release.

I liked the striking out of "Babe Ruth" at the beginning at the fair.
    The Whammer!!
    rconverse is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-06-2014, 09:11 AM   #83998
    jackisback24
    He's using hypnosis!

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Saw Capt. America in 3D IMAX last night. First off, the trailer for Godzilla was awesome. I cannot wait for that.

Great movie. 9/10 for just the action alone. I'm not a huge 3D fan but this was awesome. A great movie experience.

It's already made over $300 mil worldwide.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=marvel14b.htm
    jackisback24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-06-2014, 09:27 AM   #83999
    two-by-twostep

Shows Seen: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

So awesome. I grew up and still live in Buffalo. My dad was standing outside that old Parkside Candy shop (Main St. and West Oakwood I believe) when they were filming inside. I live 3 blocks from All High Stadium, aka Wrigley Field. People aways give Buffalo crap (some of it deserved) but it's always nice to be able to say such a great movie was filmed here.
    two-by-twostep is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-06-2014, 01:19 PM   #84000
    dmbbearcat

My Tour Central Stats

So I'm reading that Star Wars Episode VII started shooting today?

Tags
    cameos = spoiler tag , spoiler that shit