***Official Ants Photography Thread*** - Page 130 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 11-01-2016, 10:31 AM   #3871
mattyande

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ***Official Ants Photography Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnumdan View Post
I want to start archiving my photography collection online just in case my hard drive crashes. I don't know where to begin. I used to use PBase a long time ago but I'm sure my stuff is gone from there. I don't know where to turn? What do you guys use, Google Drive, Flickr, Google Drive, Google Photos? I guess I want something two fold that I can use as a storage archive, and an archive that family can access if they want to see pics of my kids or vacation pics. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diableri View Post
My answer will be lousy advice for someone that gets paid for their photography but I simply have two external hard dives that I rotate. I upload all the "junk" for family, friends and shares etc to Flickr because I've had an account there forever. I don't curate it all. It is literally a photo dump that I use for my family. My Lightroom catalogs, raws and dngs are backed up locally then replicated to my external hard drives.

I bring HD1 home from work with me whenever I have a big photo dump to process as I don't usually shoot more than occasions and vacations. Once the newest files are backed up to HD1, it goes back to work and the process repeats over and over again with HD1 and HD2.

I don't online back up at all really. Just use Flickr for sharing purposes and to keep them all in one place.
What I've learned from other pros and use myself is still offline, due to the volume of my catalog.

The theory is that anything you want archived should be on three separate drives. Someone once told me that there's a slim chance that two drives can fail at the same time (5% was the number, but what does that represent?), but it diminishes to nearly nothing that three would fail at once. Since drives will eventually expire, you need to plan for their demise. To take it one step further, one of those three drives should be in an offsite location. Then, if something happens to the building in which they're stored, you're still likely to have everything on one working drive.

I buy my hard drives in groups of three, and rotate the two backups between being at my house and offsite with a friend.

Some other very smart shooters I know make high-res jpegs of all of their selects and store them online, since that takes up way less space, but still keeps most of what you'd want in the event of an accident.

There are large-volume online storage solutions, but it just doesn't seem to be a very elegant system yet. I'd take me months of continuous high-speed upload to get everything online, and then it would need to push massive amounts of data every time I get home from a shoot.

Check out CrashPlan or something like it if you want to back up RAW files. Otherwise, Google Drive or Dropbox or something might suffice.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 11-01-2016, 12:35 PM   #3872
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

If you want your own backup server, you could also look in to a NAS solution for your home network. Synology is top notch, just get good drives.
    unccrombie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-01-2016, 05:24 PM   #3873
    twz22
    It's a boy

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

I use a 2-bay QNAP NAS with WD Red drives in it mirrored. right now they are 3TB but can easily be upgraded when I need to. that has both my RAWS and JPGS. super easy to set up, accessible from anywhere.
    twz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-22-2016, 06:57 PM   #3874
    Useliteski
    shit blizzard

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

just bought a canon rebel t5 and are having some issues after barely touching any of buttons.

-randomly saves photos while not saving others
    -changes shooting methods (sometimes its quick, other times i have to hold the button to shoot down for 3-4 seconds

i've read manuals and watched videos online, and i can't seem to even address the issue properly. it almost seems like its broken.

i regret buying it now, and want to get it returned. i guess photography is not something i should pursue.
    Useliteski is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-25-2016, 06:03 AM   #3875
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Useliteski View Post
    just bought a canon rebel t5 and are having some issues after barely touching any of buttons.

-randomly saves photos while not saving others
    -changes shooting methods (sometimes its quick, other times i have to hold the button to shoot down for 3-4 seconds

i've read manuals and watched videos online, and i can't seem to even address the issue properly. it almost seems like its broken.

i regret buying it now, and want to get it returned. i guess photography is not something i should pursue.
    the first issue would not be a good sign. definitely return or exchange
    Old 11-25-2016, 07:56 AM   #3876
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Is this considered a good camera? trying to get my dad a DSLR for work- and family-related purposes

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nikon-d3...?skuId=5580131
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prime Minister
    In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.
    cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-27-2016, 11:25 AM   #3877
    Useliteski
    shit blizzard

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

sometimes you just gotta sit down and real the entire manual from start to finish.

now i feel confident with my camera.
    Useliteski is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-27-2016, 02:21 PM   #3878
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

sent my 70D in to Canon last week, as it has fried 2 memory cards in less than a year. The first I thought it was a bad card, but not the second. They said I needed a whole new PCB board and covered it under warranty. Too bad I lost those images though...

Really wish I had the cash to upgrade to full frame and those dual memory card slots.
    Old 11-28-2016, 11:43 AM   #3879
    diableri
    Stay Limber

Shows Seen: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by unccrombie View Post
    sent my 70D in to Canon last week, as it has fried 2 memory cards in less than a year. The first I thought it was a bad card, but not the second. They said I needed a whole new PCB board and covered it under warranty. Too bad I lost those images though...

Really wish I had the cash to upgrade to full frame and those dual memory card slots.
    They now have a body for my system that has a dual card set up. Larger sensor, better AF, ISO etc etc but the two cards is honestly the only reason I'm considering a body upgrade. I don't think I've ever bought a new body when I still had lenses to buy for a system but I miss the two cards from a paranoia standpoint. Especially while traveling.
    diableri is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-28-2016, 12:21 PM   #3880
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    They now have a body for my system that has a dual card set up. Larger sensor, better AF, ISO etc etc but the two cards is honestly the only reason I'm considering a body upgrade. I don't think I've ever bought a new body when I still had lenses to buy for a system but I miss the two cards from a paranoia standpoint. Especially while traveling.
    Exactly. Going to try and unload my EF-S gear, but even then I'm only at 50% of the cost to make the upgrade.
    Old 11-30-2016, 12:33 PM   #3881
    diableri
    Stay Limber

My Tour Central Stats

I have to admit I pretty interested in this as a back up solution. Wish there were options for larger drives but probably will be in the future.

Seagte ext HD connected to Amazon online back up
    Old 11-30-2016, 04:44 PM   #3882
    twz22
    It's a boy

Shows Seen: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I have to admit I pretty interested in this as a back up solution. Wish there were options for larger drives but probably will be in the future.

Seagte ext HD connected to Amazon online back up

if you're backing up RAW and JPEG, 1TB will go pretty quick.
    twz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-30-2016, 06:41 PM   #3883
    diableri
    Stay Limber

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by twz22 View Post
    if you're backing up RAW and JPEG, 1TB will go pretty quick.
    Yeah, at this size I could only do my finals files as backs ups but I like the idea of doing that online as well since I only back up my catalogs and RAWs now locally and whatever I send to Flickr which is really just for sharing.

That's why I commented about the size above but if this takes off I'm sure they'll make a nas option with the free year.
    Old 12-01-2016, 06:09 AM   #3884
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Does anyone here use FoCal for lens MFA?
    Old 12-01-2016, 11:30 AM   #3885
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Did a re-calibration since I got the new circuit board on the 70D, may need to take this to a pro camera forum, but we'll see. I think my 35mm is giving me fits. Not sure if the software is...off, or if the lens/AF is inconsistent. My 15-85 and 55-250 calibrated consistent both indoors and outdoors with ideal light (and also similar values to October before I sent it in). my 35mm is also cal'ing at f/2 as compared to f/3.5, f/4 and f/5.6

Recommended minimum distance is 50x, so 1.75m

October (Original Calibration, outdoors @ 2.8m), +3 : http://imgur.com/vKc1vJK
    Today (outdoors, 2.3m): http://imgur.com/vhfprCI
    Today (indoors, 1.7m): http://imgur.com/CHghoZ8
    Today (indoors, 2.3m): http://imgur.com/3ahL4Zq

So today alone I go from the old +3 to +8, +14, +12. To my eye, the +3 and +12 look similar. Thoughts?
    Old 12-01-2016, 12:24 PM   #3886
    diableri
    Stay Limber

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by unccrombie View Post
    Did a re-calibration since I got the new circuit board on the 70D, may need to take this to a pro camera forum, but we'll see. I think my 35mm is giving me fits. Not sure if the software is...off, or if the lens/AF is inconsistent. My 15-85 and 55-250 calibrated consistent both indoors and outdoors with ideal light (and also similar values to October before I sent it in). my 35mm is also cal'ing at f/2 as compared to f/3.5, f/4 and f/5.6

Recommended minimum distance is 50x, so 1.75m

October (Original Calibration, outdoors @ 2.8m), +3 : http://imgur.com/vKc1vJK
    Today (outdoors, 2.3m): http://imgur.com/vhfprCI
    Today (indoors, 1.7m): http://imgur.com/CHghoZ8
    Today (indoors, 2.3m): http://imgur.com/3ahL4Zq

So today alone I go from the old +3 to +8, +14, +12. To my eye, the +3 and +12 look similar. Thoughts?
    Sorry man, I've only had cameras and lenses calibrated a couple times in my life and both times paid someone to do the whole kit at the same time (it's cheap to add a lens to the process). Good luck, hope you get to the bottom of it.
    Old 12-01-2016, 12:33 PM   #3887
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

i checked some 100% center frame crops at f/2,2.8,4 from about 1.5-2m on a high contrast target. looks ok to good at f/2, sharper at f/2.8+. i guess the MFA is accurate.
    Old 12-01-2016, 08:22 PM   #3888
    BTCS_JTR
    The Wilpon's are gone!

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

I'm going to get a camera in the near future. My dad want to take me to B&H when I have the money for one. Is buying used okay?
    BTCS_JTR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-01-2016, 10:05 PM   #3889
    diableri
    Stay Limber

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTCS_JTR View Post
    I'm going to get a camera in the near future. My dad want to take me to B&H when I have the money for one. Is buying used okay?
    I buy used as often as I can. Never been burned by it but of course your experience may vary. Fred Miranda buy and sell forum is a good place to get mid to high valvues on used gear.

Happy camera hunting.
    Old 12-02-2016, 08:18 AM   #3890
    BTCS_JTR
    The Wilpon's are gone!

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I buy used as often as I can. Never been burned by it but of course your experience may vary. Fred Miranda buy and sell forum is a good place to get mid to high valvues on used gear.

Happy camera hunting.
    Cool will look into that site, thank you
    BTCS_JTR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-02-2016, 08:27 AM   #3891
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTCS_JTR View Post
    Quote:

Happy camera hunting.
    i buy refurbished from canon, if it's cheapest, since it comes with a warranty. I bought a body from Adorama last year, was in good shape, but the autofocus failed within the warranty time. Adorama/BH have fine customer service. Just make sure you know what you're buying from a blemish perspective.
    Old 12-05-2016, 08:54 PM   #3892
    mattyande

My Tour Central Stats

Testing some stuff recently and put the clips together for fun:
    Old 12-12-2016, 09:17 AM   #3893
    TrampledUnderw.

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Hey ants Ive been thinking about getting into photography and I found a Nikon D3100 with 18-55mm and 55-200mm lens for 300$. Seems like a good deal. What do yall think?
    TrampledUnderw. is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-12-2016, 12:34 PM   #3894
    diableri
    Stay Limber

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mattyande View Post
    Testing some stuff recently and put the clips together for fun:
    That was fun to watch, great looking little buddy there. Music and editing flowed well.

If you want a bit of critique then I think focus pulls might be something to watch for. Cool to see you post a video, way of the future.

Mind if I ask what you edited with?

EDIT: NM the focus pulls, just noticed you shot it with an Osmo.

Last edited by diableri; 12-12-2016 at 12:36 PM.
    Old 12-16-2016, 10:25 PM   #3895
    mattyande

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TrampledUnderw. View Post
    Hey ants Ive been thinking about getting into photography and I found a Nikon D3100 with 18-55mm and 55-200mm lens for 300$. Seems like a good deal. What do yall think?
    Can't speak for the deal, but it sounds super affordable and should get you what you need. For the sake of learning, snag this: https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-AF-S-NI.../dp/B001S2PPT0 and use it as often as possible. It'll force you to move to make pictures instead of zooming. Mess around in manual and learn what your settings do.
    Old 12-16-2016, 10:30 PM   #3896
    mattyande

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That was fun to watch, great looking little buddy there. Music and editing flowed well.

If you want a bit of critique then I think focus pulls might be something to watch for. Cool to see you post a video, way of the future.

Mind if I ask what you edited with?

EDIT: NM the focus pulls, just noticed you shot it with an Osmo.
    Music was a last minute throw in, and I pushed a few transitions to match, but gave up pretty quickly. I don't edit video much, and it is so much more nuanced than I've realized before trying.

Focus pulls are absolutely a concern, and if I ever decide to step my game up, I'll get the puller that will work with the Osmo / Zenmuse X5. It'll work on the Inspire 1 Pro too, but I struggle to imagine a situation in which you're getting that nuanced with a drone instead of using something more precise. Thanks for mentioning that though. Did it distract from the shots a lot?

I put it together in Final Cut.
    Old 12-16-2016, 10:54 PM   #3897
    diableri
    Stay Limber

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Music was a last minute throw in, and I pushed a few transitions to match, but gave up pretty quickly. I don't edit video much, and it is so much more nuanced than I've realized before trying.

Focus pulls are absolutely a concern, and if I ever decide to step my game up, I'll get the puller that will work with the Osmo / Zenmuse X5. It'll work on the Inspire 1 Pro too, but I struggle to imagine a situation in which you're getting that nuanced with a drone instead of using something more precise. Thanks for mentioning that though. Did it distract from the shots a lot?

I put it together in Final Cut.
    Italic, yep; it's one of those things I'd really like to do well but just don't have the patience. That's exactly why I asked what you edited with. I recently messed around with some vacation and family anniversary footage and used Elements with some success on the, "I'm an idiot, please save me" front but it's obviously not a long term solution.

Bolded, not at all. I just always like to hear something other than, "that's great!" when I ask someone to look at it so I try to do the same.
    Old 12-17-2016, 06:59 AM   #3898
    mattyande

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Italic, yep; it's one of those things I'd really like to do well but just don't have the patience. That's exactly why I asked what you edited with. I recently messed around with some vacation and family anniversary footage and used Elements with some success on the, "I'm an idiot, please save me" front but it's obviously not a long term solution.

Bolded, not at all. I just always like to hear something other than, "that's great!" when I ask someone to look at it so I try to do the same.
    For sure, I'm all about getting feedback.

You should play around in iMovie. It's very similar to Final Cut and free if you're in the cult. I've found that movie editing software is all about the shortcuts. Once you learn how to use all the markers, navigation, and tools, it becomes something that doesn't have to take a lifetime. I'm still very much in the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQGX3J6DAGw phase.

That reminds me... has anyone messed around with Memories on their iPhone? It's kind of amazing. It'll throw together a movie of photos and videos that are related, and the first hack is incredibly close to something usable. Then you can massage it into exactly what you want.
    Old 12-17-2016, 07:03 AM   #3899
    mattyande

My Tour Central Stats

This is an example of what I mean by something made in Memories: https://www.facebook.com/mattyande/v...53208680765251

Last edited by mattyande; 12-17-2016 at 07:06 AM.
    mattyande is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-17-2016, 08:30 PM   #3900
    diableri
    Stay Limber

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    For sure, I'm all about getting feedback.

You should play around in iMovie. It's very similar to Final Cut and free if you're in the cult. I've found that movie editing software is all about the shortcuts. Once you learn how to use all the markers, navigation, and tools, it becomes something that doesn't have to take a lifetime. I'm still very much in the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQGX3J6DAGw phase.

That reminds me... has anyone messed around with Memories on their iPhone? It's kind of amazing. It'll throw together a movie of photos and videos that are related, and the first hack is incredibly close to something usable. Then you can massage it into exactly what you want.
    I'm down to a Mac mini these days as far as apple goes and it's pretty frustrating for any video editing, especially when I've got a beast of a rig next to it. Going to work a bit more with elements and then might give premier a shot out of curiosity for a few months to see if I can get my head around it or not.

Tags
    photography