DMB Record Store Day 2017 (4/22/17) - Page 15 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 04-22-2017, 02:43 PM   #421
moosicmaniac

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Re: DMB Record Store Day 2017 (4/22/17)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSweetMonkey View Post
I feel you. I get mad when there's an issue with a vinyl i spent $25.00 on. Worst case scenario, you get your money back for a faulty copy and you wait for the wide release. But try to clean it and, if you can, try it on a different turntable before you freak out.
I also just learned that my record store will only give store credit, no refund. Really sucks that I would have to find $80 worth of merchandise to buy that I wouldn't even want. I think I'm going to try going through Sony and seeing if they can send me a replacement.
moosicmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 04-22-2017, 02:56 PM   #422
    moosicmaniac

My Tour Central Stats

Just sent this to Sony, maybe I'll have some luck... (sorry for the double post):

Hello,

This morning I purchased the Dave Matthews Band vinyl release of Live at Red Rocks for Record Store Day. There is a defect in the first record of the set (sides A and B) and it skipped the first time I put it on my turntable. The record store told me that all sales are final, which from what I understand is fairly typical of Record Store Day releases.

I am hoping that I can be sent a replacement for the record that does not play correctly. All other records in the set are fine. I purchased numbered copy #1864 at Vintage Vinyl in Fords, NJ.

Additionally, I understand that this was a limited edition of 4000 on the silver vinyl so replacements may not be readily available. I also understand that this is a "Record Store Day First" release, it is likely that it will be released on black vinyl at a later date. I would be perfectly satisfied with this disc being replaced with a black copy - I would just like confirmation that I'll be able to hear the music which I paid for.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing back soon.

Regards,
    Dan [full name and address]
    Old 04-22-2017, 03:01 PM   #423
    cjobes

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by moosicmaniac View Post
    Just sent this to Sony, maybe I'll have some luck... (sorry for the double post):

Hello,

This morning I purchased the Dave Matthews Band vinyl release of Live at Red Rocks for Record Store Day. There is a defect in the first record of the set (sides A and B) and it skipped the first time I put it on my turntable. The record store told me that all sales are final, which from what I understand is fairly typical of Record Store Day releases.

I am hoping that I can be sent a replacement for the record that does not play correctly. All other records in the set are fine. I purchased numbered copy #1864 at Vintage Vinyl in Fords, NJ.

Additionally, I understand that this was a limited edition of 4000 on the silver vinyl so replacements may not be readily available. I also understand that this is a "Record Store Day First" release, it is likely that it will be released on black vinyl at a later date. I would be perfectly satisfied with this disc being replaced with a black copy - I would just like confirmation that I'll be able to hear the music which I paid for.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing back soon.

Regards,
    Dan [full name and address]

That might help you out. I bought a Black Sabbath Past Lives double LP last year and they give gave me two copies of A/B instead of A/B, C/D and they told me I had to return it to the record store and there was nothing they could do. That was Warner Bros and the company that pressed it though. Hopefully they get back to you. Did you try adjusting the tone arm or cleaning the record a bit to fix it? Sometimes it's a fluke thing.
    cjobes is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-22-2017, 03:07 PM   #424
    moosicmaniac

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cjobes View Post
    That might help you out. I bought a Black Sabbath Past Lives double LP last year and they give gave me two copies of A/B instead of A/B, C/D and they told me I had to return it to the record store and there was nothing they could do. That was Warner Bros and the company that pressed it though. Hopefully they get back to you. Did you try adjusting the tone arm or cleaning the record a bit to fix it? Sometimes it's a fluke thing.
    Yup, I tried everything it could be related to my turntable. Also if it was in any song besides Seek Up I would care a whole lot less...

Hopefully I'll have some luck.
    Old 04-22-2017, 03:14 PM   #425
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

Shows Seen: 203

DMB Hub Stubs: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I also just learned that my record store will only give store credit, no refund. Really sucks that I would have to find $80 worth of merchandise to buy that I wouldn't even want. I think I'm going to try going through Sony and seeing if they can send me a replacement.
    That sucks. I mean, I'm sure you could find $80.00 worth of vinyl but it's like you said... it's nothing you would want as much.

Just in case you hadn't thought of it... you could return this, take the store credit, and then use it to get the black vinyl release when it comes out. Just a thought.

But truly... I'm sorry. I can't stand getting newly pressed vinyl with flaws in it. ESPECIALLY flaws as big as a skip. New, heavy vinyl is not cheap. I recently had to return Pink Floyd "Wish You Were Here" three times because I kept getting faulty copies. But I get all of my vinyl from the same small shop, so the owner knows me. It was frustrating for both of us, but he knew there was a real issue. And that was a $38.00 record. I would have lost my shit if I spend $95.00 (after tax) today and anything was wrong with the Red Rocks copy I got.
    OneSweetMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-22-2017, 03:17 PM   #426
    cjobes

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That sucks. I mean, I'm sure you could find $80.00 worth of vinyl but it's like you said... it's nothing you would want as much.

Just in case you hadn't thought of it... you could return this, take the store credit, and then use it to get the black vinyl release when it comes out. Just a thought.

But truly... I'm sorry. I can't stand getting newly pressed vinyl with flaws in it. ESPECIALLY flaws as big as a skip. New, heavy vinyl is not cheap. I recently had to return Pink Floyd "Wish You Were Here" three times because I kept getting faulty copies. But I get all of my vinyl from the same small shop, so the owner knows me. It was frustrating for both of us, but he knew there was a real issue. And that was a $38.00 record. I would have lost my shit if I spend $95.00 (after tax) today and anything was wrong with the Red Rocks copy I got.

Unfortunately a lot of new vinyl pressed today has flaws. You're better off with the original pressings. And if it's a new record and it's not recorded on analogue but it is digital? Forget it, the cd sounds better at that point.
    Old 04-22-2017, 03:18 PM   #427
    Jadorsey34

Shows Seen: 135

DMB Hub Stubs: 31

My Tour Central Stats

This sounds fantastic btw
    Jadorsey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-22-2017, 03:18 PM   #428
    moosicmaniac

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

That's a good suggestion, but my concern is that it might be like the Live Trax and be only available on DMB's web store. Also, considering the attitude they gave me at the record store, I would rather circumvent them entirely.
    Old 04-22-2017, 03:28 PM   #429
    swim09

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    So how is this supposed to work, do I just PM the top on the list about getting them my extra copy or ???
    PM'ing you now.
    Old 04-22-2017, 03:40 PM   #430
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hieb40 View Post
    If anyone is interested, I'll trade RR'95 for LT Vol. 1 (black or colored).

Best of luck with that
    BTBaboon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-22-2017, 03:44 PM   #431
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Tried and it still skips.
    Not sure if I missed, but what turntable do you have? Is there a visible defect (scratch, dent, etc)?
    Old 04-22-2017, 03:54 PM   #432
    justink

Shows Seen: 51

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

so, a lot of these are fucked up huh?

typical...
    justink is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-22-2017, 03:54 PM   #433
    jbeck417
    Becker

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone know of any stores selling copies online? I live overseas and they don't have RSD
    Raleigh, NC 08/09- STL '10- D&T '10 Vegas N1/N2- Lakeside Caravan N2/N3- STL '12- Gorge x3 '12- Chula Vista '12- Irvine '12- Hollywood Bowl '12- Dallas '13- STL '13- Gorge x3 '13- Gorge x3 '14- Irvine '14- Camden x2 '15
    jbeck417 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-22-2017, 03:57 PM   #434
    UrsadonDMBAnts+ Site Supporter
    Mr. A-B

Shows Seen: 114

DMB Hub Stubs: 31

My Tour Central Stats

All done for the day.

Chad if we make another chart for the numbers of who has what

UrsadonDMB- 1786 ($80 & Star Wars 10 Inch)

My Instagram My Almanac
    UrsadonDMB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-22-2017, 03:58 PM   #435
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by justink View Post
    so, a lot of these are fucked up huh?

typical...
    I wouldn't say "a lot".

New vinyl these days do have a lower QC overall because the pressing plants are stuffed too full and in many cases the equipment is old.

However, unless a skip is caused by a visible defect (or in some rare cases micro fibers) it is usually either a result of bad calibration or low quality turntables - like Crosleys, Ions, LP60s, etc. It's very rare for a skip to be a result of something other than bad calibration/build quality or a very easily visible defect - at least in my experience

Last edited by BTBaboon; 04-22-2017 at 04:03 PM.
    Old 04-22-2017, 04:03 PM   #436
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    And if it's a new record and it's not recorded on analogue but it is digital? Forget it, the cd sounds better at that point.
    Not true at all, unless it's your assertion that mastering does nothing?

Look no further than LT3 on vinyl to prove this wrong, 16/44.1 source without Loudness Wars mastering.

Last edited by dobyblue; 04-22-2017 at 04:05 PM.
    dobyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-22-2017, 04:06 PM   #437
    cjobes

My Tour Central Stats

DMB Record Store Day 2017 (4/22/17)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    Not true at all, unless it's your assertion that mastering does nothing?

A lot of albums that are released today are recorded digitally and they are ripped from the CD straight to vinyl. It's quantity over quality to a lot of those companies. Not saying every album is like this but a good bit are. This has nothing to do with the RR95 release. I'm assuming that was remastered straight from the DAT tapes.

Last edited by cjobes; 04-22-2017 at 04:10 PM.
    Old 04-22-2017, 04:17 PM   #438
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

A lot of indie albums are, most major label releases are cut from 24-bit files (not that this means squat, shitty mastered 24/192 files sound just as ass as their 16/44.1 CD counterparts)..but blanket statements rarely hold up. If you cannot find any info on the vinyl release to suggest that it was mastered separately then my recommendation if you care about sonics is to go digital, however chances are with modern releases they both sound like ass thanks to egregious dynamic range compression.

Be informed and format agnostic and you'll be ahead of the game.

Last edited by dobyblue; 04-22-2017 at 04:19 PM.
    dobyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-22-2017, 04:27 PM   #439
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

I think we both understand the landscape, I was just disagreeing with the phrasing of your original post.
    Old 04-22-2017, 04:32 PM   #440
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    A lot of albums that are released today are recorded digitally and they are ripped from the CD straight to vinyl. It's quantity over quality to a lot of those companies. Not saying every album is like this but a good bit are. This has nothing to do with the RR95 release. I'm assuming that was remastered straight from the DAT tapes.
    The bold just isn't true though. Rarely are CDs used as a master for vinyl, except in rare cases of bootlegs or small band releases. They may use the same master as the CD, but that is different than pressing a record from a CD as the source. If the vinyl album doesn't have its own master, then yes the CD is probably the way to go

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    A lot of indie albums are, most major label releases are cut from 24-bit files (not that this means squat, shitty mastered 24/192 files sound just as ass as their 16/44.1 CD counterparts)..but blanket statements rarely hold up. If you cannot find any info on the vinyl release to suggest that it was mastered separately then my recommendation if you care about sonics is to go digital, however chances are with modern releases they both sound like ass thanks to egregious dynamic range compression.

Be informed and format agnostic and you'll be ahead of the game.
    Amen. While I collect records, I also will go for the best mastered/most dynamic format of an album I like - whether that's vinyl, CD, SACD, or Blu-ray Audio

Last edited by BTBaboon; 04-22-2017 at 04:34 PM.
    Old 04-22-2017, 04:36 PM   #441
    swim09

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Remove me from the list please
    Old 04-22-2017, 05:35 PM   #442
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

Shows Seen: 203

DMB Hub Stubs: 37

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That's a good suggestion, but my concern is that it might be like the Live Trax and be only available on DMB's web store. Also, considering the attitude they gave me at the record store, I would rather circumvent them entirely.
    I don't think it's going to be a web only release. It's released on a major label, and the owner of my local record shop told me that he would be stocking it when it's wide released. I understand that's just hearsay, but the major label thing carries a lot of weight.

And I also understand why you're upset at the store. But if it were me, that would be all the more reason not to let them have $80-$90.00 of my money for a defective item. But that's just me.

Either way, good luck and I hope you have a good resolve to this.
    OneSweetMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-22-2017, 05:49 PM   #443
    ZachWayne

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by astb41 View Post
    was fourth in line at my store in San Clemente, CA. Got the only copy they had..No:0011
    👍 well done
    ZachWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-22-2017, 06:19 PM   #444
    moosicmaniac

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post
    Not sure if I missed, but what turntable do you have? Is there a visible defect (scratch, dent, etc)?
    The turntable is a Technics SL-1300MK2. It's been properly calibrated. If I hold it up to the light I think I can see a tiny scratch, but it doesn't look major.
    Old 04-22-2017, 06:22 PM   #445
    moosicmaniac

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I don't think it's going to be a web only release. It's released on a major label, and the owner of my local record shop told me that he would be stocking it when it's wide released. I understand that's just hearsay, but the major label thing carries a lot of weight.

And I also understand why you're upset at the store. But if it were me, that would be all the more reason not to let them have $80-$90.00 of my money for a defective item. But that's just me.

Either way, good luck and I hope you have a good resolve to this.
    The way I see it, they have my $80 whether I take the store credit or not. At least if I keep the set for now I can pursue getting it replaced through Sony. While it would probably be released in the store, I'm not sure I want to just hang onto the store credit hoping I can use it on the black pressing later. Given the attitude they gave me I'm going to do my best to just not deal with them.

Thanks to all for the help and advice!
    Old 04-22-2017, 07:28 PM   #446
    pigsmarching8

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone have an extra?! It was my kids first birthday today and I couldn't make it out! Thanks!
    pigsmarching8 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-22-2017, 07:29 PM   #447
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Just got back in and updated the list. Got a few names off, and added a few.

DMB RSD 2017 ISO List

Names added in order when they asked to be added to the list (top - asked first, bottom - asked last.)

Clicking each name gives a link to PM that particular member when going down the list for those who may acquire extra copies.

Since the list is getting a little long, I’ll spoiler it:

chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-22-2017, 07:56 PM   #448
    TattatMSU08

Shows Seen: 76

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Once again a DMB vinyl is just straight trash...A side has quite a few skips and C side is unlistenable. I got the last copy at out of three record stores in my town and was so excited, then straight disappointment on first listen. Until they start using a different company to press these there just isn't any reason to buy a DMB vinyl.
    TattatMSU08 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-22-2017, 07:59 PM   #449
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Some stats so far:
    Highest # reported - 2797

Lowest - 77,.99
    Highest - 99.99
    Average - 84.96

36 Ants got copies today.

Compared to LT5 - 35 got it
    Compared to Recently - 98 got it
    Compared to LT4 - 78 got it
    Compared to LT3 - 89 got it
    Compared to LT2 - 86 got it
    Compared to LT1 - 44 got it

Tracking Spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...28wcwfqe9nYTk/
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-22-2017, 08:46 PM   #450
    HoldemHart
    Love This Goofy Bastard

Shows Seen: 85

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Was able to snag one this morning in Beaverton, it was only $74.95.
    HoldemHart is offline   Reply With Quote