Weightlifting - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 09-08-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
jpevear

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Weightlifting

Anyone here serious about weightlifting? I'm talking about the disciplined diet, the full arsenal of supplements, and a focused one muscle a day routine?

Just curious about what supplements work for you and I can share what I supplements and routines work for me.
jpevear is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-08-2010, 05:03 PM   #2
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Weightlifting

Get ready for the "don't work one muscle a day, as it doesn't properly start pumping the testosterone; leaving your development lacking" crowd.

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert
    Tiduwho is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-08-2010, 05:07 PM   #3
    jpevear

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tiduwho View Post
    Get ready for the "don't work one muscle a day, as it doesn't properly start pumping the testosterone; leaving your development lacking" crowd.
    I work one muscle every day, 5-6 days a week, for a minimum of an hour and a half. Since I started doing that, I've seen impressive gains. Would never go back to working two or three muscles per day. Besides, you are inadvertently working other muscle groups when focusing on one... ie. If your doing chest, you are also working your triceps and shoulders, but the main concentration is on the chest.
    Old 09-08-2010, 05:17 PM   #4
    coyne

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

I saw my best gains when i worked out 5 days a week, one muscle a day. Now im happy to get to the gym 3 times a week.
    coyne is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-08-2010, 05:25 PM   #5
    jpevear

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coyne View Post
    I saw my best gains when i worked out 5 days a week, one muscle a day. Now im happy to get to the gym 3 times a week.
    It's definitely a commitment, and can be a lifestyle. Can be a sickness, too.
    Old 09-08-2010, 06:03 PM   #6
    rconverse

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

After the gym it's laundry then tanning. Only way to go.
    rconverse is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-08-2010, 06:19 PM   #7
    Crush086
    Eyes Wide Open

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

I go to the gym 6 days a week, with the split looking like this.

Monday: Chest/Biceps
    Tuesday: Legs
    Wednesday: Back/Triceps
    Thursday: Shoulders/Traps (which is rarely done since these two parts are worked out while I'm doing the previous days workouts). Usually ends up repeating Monday.
    Friday: Legs
    Saturday: whatever. No real routine on Saturdays. I pretty much workout mainly to burn the calories.

I'm not a huge cardio guy, but usually once a week I walk around town to work on my tan.

I'm currently taking White Flood/Green Magnitude PWO.

I started out doing it because I turned into a fatty (5'5 and weighed 185) working my deskjob. Ever since then it's become a passion (also, down to 152 with a bit more cutting to go).
    Old 09-08-2010, 06:30 PM   #8
    koolout

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tiduwho View Post
    this approach works for "body builders" (having muscles for the sake of having muscles), but is pointless and detrimental for athletes.
    koolout is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-08-2010, 06:35 PM   #9
    jpevear

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crush086 View Post
    I go to the gym 6 days a week, with the split looking like this.

Monday: Chest/Biceps
    Tuesday: Legs
    Wednesday: Back/Triceps
    Thursday: Shoulders/Traps (which is rarely done since these two parts are worked out while I'm doing the previous days workouts). Usually ends up repeating Monday.
    Friday: Legs
    Saturday: whatever. No real routine on Saturdays. I pretty much workout mainly to burn the calories.

I'm not a huge cardio guy, but usually once a week I walk around town to work on my tan.

I'm currently taking White Flood/Green Magnitude PWO.

I started out doing it because I turned into a fatty (5'5 and weighed 185) working my deskjob. Ever since then it's become a passion (also, down to 152 with a bit more cutting to go).

Like you, I have a desk job and gained 40 lbs because of it. Instead of losing it, I decided to turn it into muscle. And, that's what I've been doing for the past 9 months.

My workout plan is pretty simple...

Day 1: Biceps
    Day 2: Chest
    Day 3: Shoulders
    Day 4: Triceps
    Rest (or not)
    Repeat Steps I through 4

Instead of White Flood, have you considered Jack3d? It's about $12 cheaper, no filler, and it gives you enough energy to easily go for 1.5 hours to 2 hours, and even longer if you take the recommended amount. I take 2 scoops with a scoop a creatine 45 minutes prior to my workout and the shit turns you into a monster.. very focused and tons of energy.

How is the Green Mag?

My intra-workout drink is Extend, which is chock full of Leucine, Glutamine, Isoleucine, and Valine. It's also a no filler supplement... no sugar, no stimulants.

And then of course, the protein drink post workout. I use Body Fortress. It's cheap and I've seen great results...not the cleanest protein, like Gaspari, but I like the price and taste. I just ordered 10 lbs from Wal-Mart online for $60
    Old 09-08-2010, 07:01 PM   #10
    Timebomb07

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

lifting sucks, though, if I lifted throughout highschool my college could have been paid for....
    Timebomb07 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-08-2010, 07:40 PM   #11
    Crush086
    Eyes Wide Open

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpevear View Post
    Like you, I have a desk job and gained 40 lbs because of it. Instead of losing it, I decided to turn it into muscle. And, that's what I've been doing for the past 9 months.

Instead of White Flood, have you considered Jack3d? It's about $12 cheaper, no filler, and it gives you enough energy to easily go for 1.5 hours to 2 hours, and even longer if you take the recommended amount. I take 2 scoops with a scoop a creatine 45 minutes prior to my workout and the shit turns you into a monster.. very focused and tons of energy.

How is the Green Mag?

My intra-workout drink is Extend, which is chock full of Leucine, Glutamine, Isoleucine, and Valine. It's also a no filler supplement... no sugar, no stimulants.

And then of course, the protein drink post workout. I use Body Fortress. It's cheap and I've seen great results...not the cleanest protein, like Gaspari, but I like the price and taste. I just ordered 10 lbs from Wal-Mart online for $60
    I used Jack3d awhile back. I liked it alot, and the price was definitely better than that NO Xplode I was taking. It gives tons of energy. After this cycle of White Flood/Green Mag I'll most likely go back to that. A guy at my local Vitamin Shoppe suggested the White Flood. It's very sweet, much sweeter than the Grape Bubblegum Jack3d. But it mixes really well. Even with the Sour Apple Magnitude it's still great. It just sucks having to down 16+ oz. of water first thing in the morning. lol I do 2 scoops of the WF with 1 scoop of the Green Mag PWO.

It works nicely though. By the time I get to the gym I'm ready to go and focused, and there's a nice pump with the Magnitude. I haven't done an intra workout drink yet, but since I'm taking pretty much everything else Controlled Labs (WF, Magnitude, REDuction, Orange Triad) I think I'll give the Purple Wraath or Intrain a go.

For protein, I use Optimum Nutrition's Whey (Delicious Strawberry) and Gaspari's Intrapro (Double Chocolate). Since I'm still cutting, to avoid the calories with the milk, they mix well with water. The chocolate Intrapro might be the best tasting protein shake I've ever had though. It's a bit pricier though (25-30$ for 2 lbs./25 servings vs. ON's 22-25$ for the same size). Typically after workout I do 2 servings of the ON (1 with the Intrapro since I only have 2 lbs.)

I also have some of ON's Oats & Whey if I need a snack during the workday. It's not bad, but it needs constant shaking/mixing, otherwise you end up with all the oats at the bottom of the cup.
    Old 09-08-2010, 08:34 PM   #12
    jpevear

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I used Jack3d awhile back. I liked it alot, and the price was definitely better than that NO Xplode I was taking. It gives tons of energy. After this cycle of White Flood/Green Mag I'll most likely go back to that. A guy at my local Vitamin Shoppe suggested the White Flood. It's very sweet, much sweeter than the Grape Bubblegum Jack3d. But it mixes really well. Even with the Sour Apple Magnitude it's still great. It just sucks having to down 16+ oz. of water first thing in the morning. lol I do 2 scoops of the WF with 1 scoop of the Green Mag PWO.

It works nicely though. By the time I get to the gym I'm ready to go and focused, and there's a nice pump with the Magnitude. I haven't done an intra workout drink yet, but since I'm taking pretty much everything else Controlled Labs (WF, Magnitude, REDuction, Orange Triad) I think I'll give the Purple Wraath or Intrain a go.

For protein, I use Optimum Nutrition's Whey (Delicious Strawberry) and Gaspari's Intrapro (Double Chocolate). Since I'm still cutting, to avoid the calories with the milk, they mix well with water. The chocolate Intrapro might be the best tasting protein shake I've ever had though. It's a bit pricier though (25-30$ for 2 lbs./25 servings vs. ON's 22-25$ for the same size). Typically after workout I do 2 servings of the ON (1 with the Intrapro since I only have 2 lbs.)

I also have some of ON's Oats & Whey if I need a snack during the workday. It's not bad, but it needs constant shaking/mixing, otherwise you end up with all the oats at the bottom of the cup.

I'll get back to you tomorrow, but I highly recommend Xtend for an intra-workout supplement. It's cheap, clean, and tastes very good. No need to worry about extra calories either as it's only 35 calories a scoop. Check amazon.com or dspnutrition.com for the lowest prices. I think jack3d is $20 on Amazon.
    Old 09-10-2010, 05:18 AM   #13
    jpevear

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timebomb07 View Post
    lifting sucks, though, if I lifted throughout highschool my college could have been paid for....
    Yeah, its not the most enjoyable activity on the planet but the payoff is worth it.
    Old 09-10-2010, 05:19 AM   #14
    jpevear

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone got any 'killer' tricep workouts I can add to my routine...?
    Old 09-10-2010, 05:28 AM   #15
    Carbon Copy
    Can you still have fun?

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Muscle Milk!!!! HGH!!!! POWERBARS!!!
    Carbon Copy is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-10-2010, 06:25 AM   #16
    jpevear

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carbon Copy View Post
    Muscle Milk!!!! HGH!!!! POWERBARS!!!
    i know you're being facetious, but Muscle Milk is overpriced shit, HGH is illegal unless prescribed by a doc, and powerbars are great if you plan on running 43 miles at a time.
    Old 09-10-2010, 06:29 AM   #17
    achtungbaby

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

X2 regarding jack3d and Xtend. 1MR is also a good preworkout, not any real difference from jack3d besides flavor. For XTend I find the orange is very sweet but haven't had a flavor yet that i didn't like. Back to preworkout tho, if you want a stimulant free supp try Bodyforge. Same stuff as the others but no caffeine.
    achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-10-2010, 06:36 AM   #18
    jpevear

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by achtungbaby View Post
    X2 regarding jack3d and Xtend. 1MR is also a good preworkout, not any real difference from jack3d besides flavor. For XTend I find the orange is very sweet but haven't had a flavor yet that i didn't like. Back to preworkout tho, if you want a stimulant free supp try Bodyforge. Same stuff as the others but no caffeine.

I've heard of 1MR, but based on what seems like a general consensus, Jack3d is better than that and NO Explode. I'm not looking for anything stimulant free... kind of like the rush. As for Extend, I love the grape. 4 scoops in 40 oz of water makes for a very tasty drink.

I might give BodyForge a shot. I'm assuming it's a vasodilator?
    Old 09-10-2010, 06:47 AM   #19
    achtungbaby

My Tour Central Stats

Yes, Bodyforge is a vasodilator. I cycle off stimulant preworkouts then go back on, kind of a caffeine reset. You want a rush, that will do it NOXplode is garbage to me, preworkout equivalent of pop rocks in tasty pink liquid.
    Old 09-10-2010, 06:49 AM   #20
    jpevear

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yes, Bodyforge is a vasodilator. I cycle off stimulant preworkouts then go back on, kind of a caffeine reset. You want a rush, that will do it NOXplode is garbage to me, preworkout equivalent of pop rocks in tasty pink liquid.
    How long do you cycle? 4-6 weeks?
    Old 09-10-2010, 06:51 AM   #21
    jpevear

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

My protein drinks consist of 2 scoops of Whey protein, milk, half a cup of whole grain oats, some peanut butter, and a banana. This is my morning shake.

The I drink one scoop of whey with water prior to workout and then 1 scoop of whey mixed with water post workout. (sometimes I mix creatine in there.)
    Old 09-10-2010, 06:58 AM   #22
    Crush086
    Eyes Wide Open

My Tour Central Stats

Well, I guess I'll have to get some Xtend this weekend. Seems decently priced too, so I'll stop by my local Vitamin Shoppe after work.
    Old 09-10-2010, 07:05 AM   #23
    achtungbaby

My Tour Central Stats

I'll switch to a stim-free supp usually after 8-12 weeks actually. I'm not too strict about it so it ends up being a combination of getting to the end of my tubs of jack or 1MR or and if I feel any tolerance to the caffeine.
    Old 09-10-2010, 07:12 AM   #24
    jpevear

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Well, I guess I'll have to get some Xtend this weekend. Seems decently priced too, so I'll stop by my local Vitamin Shoppe after work.
    here's are some links for what I've found to the be the cheapest places to buy above mentioned products.

Jack3d ($20.00)

http://www.amazon.com/USP-Labs-Jack3...4126433&sr=8-1

Extend ($45.00 - last you two months)

http://www.dpsnutrition.net/get_item_pe149.htm

grape is very good.

I also use Recreate to get my metabolism flowing...

http://www.amazon.com/Usp-Labs-Recre...4127717&sr=1-1

And for Whey Protein with no sugar, great taste, and good results, for me anyway, I use Body Fortress. Buy a 5 pack (10 lbs) from Wal-Mart for $60 or 2 lbs for $13.50

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Body-Fortr...undle/14912512

If you are a fan of Gaspari protein, Amazon has a hell of a deal. 5 lbs for $32.00

http://www.amazon.com/Gaspari-Nutrit...7&sr=1-2-spell
    Old 09-10-2010, 07:13 AM   #25
    jpevear

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'll switch to a stim-free supp usually after 8-12 weeks actually. I'm not too strict about it so it ends up being a combination of getting to the end of my tubs of jack or 1MR or and if I feel any tolerance to the caffeine.

I'm going for the 12 week cycle. Some only cycle for a 4-6 weeks but I don't feel that's enough time to get the benefits from these supplements.
    Old 09-10-2010, 07:42 AM   #26
    koolout

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah, its not the most enjoyable activity on the planet but the payoff is worth it.
    What is the payoff
    koolout is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-10-2010, 07:44 AM   #27
    Crush086
    Eyes Wide Open

My Tour Central Stats

I use www.bodybuilding.com for my supplements when I don't get them locally.

The prices are good, and shipping is ridiculous. You get shipping emails literally minutes after you place the order, and since I live in GA, I've received stuff next day with standard shipping.
    Old 09-10-2010, 07:56 AM   #28
    jpevear

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by koolout View Post
    What is the payoff
    There are many.

Elevates your mood.
    Improves balance and coordination.
    Lowers resting blood pressure.
    Decreases risk of developing adult diabetes.
    Increases your LDL.

For me, it gives me confidence and discipline, provides me with more energy, and of course, gives you a great looking body.

People lift for all sorts of reasons, and I imagine the payoffs vary between indiviudals. I also enjoy the sweating, releasing of toxins, and the high afterwards you get from working out.

Last edited by jpevear; 09-10-2010 at 07:58 AM.
    Old 09-10-2010, 09:04 AM   #29
    esa008

Shows Seen: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

My workout plan is pretty simple...

Day 1: Biceps
    Day 2: Chest
    Day 3: Shoulders
    Day 4: Triceps
    Rest (or not)
    Repeat Steps I through 4
    If you don't squat, you ain't squat. JK brah congrats on the gains, keep up the good work. Just take a multi and lift heavy, you should reach your goal in no time.
    Old 09-10-2010, 09:10 AM   #30
    Jimi Thing 10

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I use www.bodybuilding.com for my supplements when I don't get them locally.

The prices are good, and shipping is ridiculous. You get shipping emails literally minutes after you place the order, and since I live in GA, I've received stuff next day with standard shipping.
    This. Shipping is off the hook with that place. It's amazing. They also offer free stuff if you're paying enough money, and then usually throw random stuff in the box anyway.

I've been taking Jack3d for about three weeks now. As a stimulant it's ok for me. I prefer an n.o. booster, but that's just me. Also, I never take the stuff on an empty stomach, I can never go into the gym without eating first. I've tried a sample of White Flood about a year ago. It was ok as I was into my workout, near the end I started seeing spots and when I got home I had the worst migraine ever. I drink a ton of water during my workouts so I don't know what that was about. As much as I hate to say it, N.O. Xplode may have been the best pre-w/o I've had, but it's way too expensive when there's so much else out there.

ON whey and casein have been my bread and butter when it comes to protein. Stuff is dirt cheap for the amount of servings and about as pure of a protein as you can find.
    Jimi Thing 10 is offline   Reply With Quote