Something else I've noticed: Jeff vs. Roi - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 12-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
aparker507

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Something else I've noticed: Jeff vs. Roi

This isn't a Jeff bashing thread to start off. I think the guy is incredible at what he does, and is one of the nicest guys to meet/talk to. I was just listening to the Gorge box set, and I dunno if it's because i listened to all of those releases so much before we started really having tons of releases each year, but it's like I have all of Rois solos memorized and they somewhat go on a "journey" musically. I find myself whistling part of Roi's solos all the time.

I've noticed listening to most of Jeff's solos, there's not as much of a "journey" or whatever you want to call it, but just in your face jamming that sax. I absolutely love both, but just a tiny touch of what I miss from Roi. Jeff definitely has his moments like this, but then again, not nearly as many. I just want to rock out to Jeff's solos. My favorite solo by Jeff still is the Dallas 08 version of Lover Lay Down. SO great! You should check it out if you haven't.

Probably been discussed before, but ah well. Loving this LT28 release!

Last edited by aparker507; 12-14-2013 at 11:39 AM.
aparker507 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 12-14-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Something else I've noticed: Jeff vs. Roi

LeRoi made sweet, sweet love to his saxaphone while Jeff hate-fucks the shit out of his.
    chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #3
    Cryfreedom09
    mmmm beach ball

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post
    LeRoi made sweet, sweet love to his saxaphone while Jeff hate-fucks the shit out of his.
    This is a perfect description and just down right hilarious
    Old 12-14-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
    Jake17

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Both leave you very satisfied
    Old 12-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #5
    lrhyde

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

I totally agree. Another one of Jeff's shining moments (at least to me) is his solo in The Stone on LT 19

Also, I'm surprised at how well Jeff has been received by Ants as a whole. I feel like he would be an easy target for our intense critique of the band, but he doens't get bashed as much as I had anticipated he would have.

But I've only been a member since 2012, so maybe he did initially and the intensity died down? I'm ot sure, but either way I was a little thrown off at first when I saw how much approval he got.
    Old 12-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
    Jake17

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lrhyde View Post
    I totally agree. Another one of Jeff's shining moments (at least to me) is his solo in The Stone on LT 19

Also, I'm surprised at how well Jeff has been received by Ants as a whole. I feel like he would be an easy target for our intense critique of the band, but he doens't get bashed as much as I had anticipated he would have.

But I've only been a member since 2012, so maybe he did initially and the intensity died down? I'm ot sure, but either way I was a little thrown off at first when I saw how much approval he got.
    I think it's hard to bash one of the best musicians on stage
    Old 12-14-2013, 12:56 PM   #7
    #41Tom

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I've seen a lot of negative feeling towards him on here, however people (including myself) seem to have learned to appreciate him for what he brings.

OP's right though, Roi seemed to build and journey through his solo, and what he played connected with me where it does so less with Jeff. Obviously a crazy-good musician, but they play very differently.

The Two Step here is by far my favourite Jeff solo. (As my impassioned comment says, it's very emotional [for me anyway]! and one of the occasions his solos connect with me)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SeQu...8Fvecv2q4QpLoY
    And the end of the world."
    #41Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-14-2013, 01:07 PM   #8
    ramiro24
    Hurricane Rozz

Shows Seen: 74

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

i became a member on here in june 2010 and ill say that there were about 20 threads throughout that summer about jeff vs roi. at least it seemed like to me, and with jeff, people loved him or hated him and wanted roi back because jeff was the cause of the abrasive sound in 2009-2010. whether thats fair or not, people had there opinions for both sides. but yeah it really has died down since the end of 2011 start of 2012 and i think people have accepted that while they miss roi, jeff was probably the best person to fill his shoes.

ok end long rant post. carry on.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
    Rozz, you are always partying, even when you're not
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by btpeters View Post
    We all go a little Rozz sometimes
    ramiro24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #9
    baileyk114

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Wow nailed it haha. As someone on this forum has said before, Roi's solos had a soulful jazziness to them while Jeff has his own unique style where he pushes that damn thing to its limits. They both definitely have their own touch.

And lets be honest, dat double sax Jeff sometimes does…
    baileyk114 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-15-2013, 11:03 AM   #10
    bubba40

Shows Seen: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aparker507 View Post
    This isn't a Jeff bashing thread to start off. I think the guy is incredible at what he does, and is one of the nicest guys to meet/talk to. I was just listening to the Gorge box set, and I dunno if it's because i listened to all of those releases so much before we started really having tons of releases each year, but it's like I have all of Rois solos memorized and they somewhat go on a "journey" musically. I find myself whistling part of Roi's solos all the time.

I've noticed listening to most of Jeff's solos, there's not as much of a "journey" or whatever you want to call it, but just in your face jamming that sax. I absolutely love both, but just a tiny touch of what I miss from Roi. Jeff definitely has his moments like this, but then again, not nearly as many. I just want to rock out to Jeff's solos. My favorite solo by Jeff still is the Dallas 08 version of Lover Lay Down. SO great! You should check it out if you haven't.

Probably been discussed before, but ah well. Loving this LT28 release!
    Strongly disagree
    bubba40 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-15-2013, 03:49 PM   #11
    whiteysax
    washOUTthisTIREDnotion

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

We gonna resurrect this again?

Quote:

These boards were a shitshow especially during the 2009 tour. Littered with threads bashing Jeff, supporting Jeff, comparing the two, speculating on other possible replacements, etc. it was bad.

Having said that... I was a defender of Jeff back then. What he does is fantastic and over the years he has even adapted a bit of his style to be less funky and more lyrical at times. But the longer he's with the band, the more I miss Roi. There's still little reason to compare their respective styles. They play on two different ends of the rock spectrum. Jeff is technically experimental, funky, locks onto licks and hooks and builds energy out of repetition. Roi was soulful, lyrical. Relied on a build of dynamic, range and note velocity to give his solos direction.

They are both great musicians with respect to what they do, but to me, Roi will always be DMB and Jeff will always be 2nd string when considering DMB over their entire history
    Old 12-15-2013, 05:48 PM   #12
    dmbfan1011
    The Meddle Piper

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Both great musicians. Jeff seems to probably be "better" musically, however I believe Rio had more soul and ear towards melodic solos
    dmbfan1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-15-2013, 06:03 PM   #13
    FeelingGood
    Much better now....

Shows Seen: 36

My Tour Central Stats

When you think about what Jeff accomplished to transition into the full-time position, I believe he saved the band. The other founding members could have easily walked away at that point. Jeff's been nothing but a class act and he's never tried to be anything other than himself. I respect the guy immensely and support him as an independant artist.

That being said (and not comparing the two), Roi was amazing.
    Old 12-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #14
    coolhotwaves
    is classic

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Jeff is by far better, but Roi made up so much of the band's sound that I MUCH prefer his playing to jeff's.
    coolhotwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-16-2013, 08:17 AM   #15
    pantagampa

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolhotwaves View Post
    Jeff is by far better, but Roi made up so much of the band's sound that I MUCH prefer his playing to jeff's.
    True to an extent, but I think he doesn't solo very intelligently. Sure it's technically very difficult, but for me he only has a few tricks, which are nice, but he plays the same thing. He shreds, and you can only listen to so much shredding; Roi played melodies, and melodic improvisation, in my eyes, is much more intelligent (and downright nicer to listen to) if you can pull it off, which of course Roi could.

So: Jeff had better fingers, but Roi had a better mind.
    And Boyd has better pubes.
    Old 12-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #16
    baileyk114

Shows Seen: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pantagampa View Post
    True to an extent, but I think he doesn't solo very intelligently. Sure it's technically very difficult, but for me he only has a few tricks, which are nice, but he plays the same thing. He shreds, and you can only listen to so much shredding; Roi played melodies, and melodic improvisation, in my eyes, is much more intelligent (and downright nicer to listen to) if you can pull it off, which of course Roi could.

So: Jeff had better fingers, but Roi had a better mind.
    And Boyd has better pubes.
    Can't argue with that logic
    baileyk114 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-16-2013, 10:19 AM   #17
    lalkb48
    My name is Dave(really)

Shows Seen: 80

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

There is no way to 100% replace Leroi, and I think we all knew that. Leroi's style was so much more finessed (imo) and just so silky smooth. His notes ran together flawlessy and his solos were downright beautiful 99% of the time.

Jeff was the best replacement for DMB. He was familiar with them due to being part of the Flecktones and defintely compliments the funk turn DMB took a few years ago. Jeff has some great solos, but someimes the elephant noises pop up a little too often.

I enjoy the band with Roi and with Jeff. I prefer with Roi, but I am very happy they chose Jeff to replace Roi. I think him and Rashawn continue to build rapport in the horn section and work very well with one another.
    Old 12-16-2013, 10:21 AM   #18
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

I'm pro Roi

But you have to understand that I gave this band their first chance because of his sax sound and Dave's voice.

Jeff is way different and not in a good way when it comes to beingi n dmb. Just way too aggressive and abrasive. Just my opinion

Last edited by crashintonickdm; 12-16-2013 at 10:22 AM.
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #19
    ottman

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by whiteysax View Post
    We gonna resurrect this again?

These boards were a shitshow especially during the 2009 tour. Littered with threads bashing Jeff, supporting Jeff, comparing the two, speculating on other possible replacements, etc. it was bad.

Having said that... I was a defender of Jeff back then. What he does is fantastic and over the years he has even adapted a bit of his style to be less funky and more lyrical at times. But the longer he's with the band, the more I miss Roi. There's still little reason to compare their respective styles. They play on two different ends of the rock spectrum. Jeff is technically experimental, funky, locks onto licks and hooks and builds energy out of repetition. Roi was soulful, lyrical. Relied on a build of dynamic, range and note velocity to give his solos direction.

They are both great musicians with respect to what they do, but to me, Roi will always be DMB and Jeff will always be 2nd string when considering DMB over their entire history
    Good post
    ottman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-16-2013, 10:30 AM   #20
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

My Tour Central Stats

Maybe rois death made dmb the way they are now... But in some ways rois sound wouldn't fit into this new radio rock type sound the band has now.

Maybe that's why dmb was so much more special back when he was alive.
    Old 12-16-2013, 10:38 AM   #21
    Seek#41Up

Shows Seen: 79

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
    Maybe rois death made dmb the way they are now... But in some ways rois sound wouldn't fit into this new radio rock type sound the band has now.

Maybe that's why dmb was so much more special back when he was alive.
    I think that is exactly what happened. There is no way the band would have gone down the course they have if Roi was around. Rashawn would have continued to blend to Roi's style. Tim has known DMB's sound forever and would have worked within that style like he always has. The loss of Roi and addition of Jeff I think had the biggest affect on the DMB sound.
    Seek#41Up is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-16-2013, 12:09 PM   #22
    pzamps210

Shows Seen: 43

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seek#41Up View Post
    I think that is exactly what happened. There is no way the band would have gone down the course they have if Roi was around. Rashawn would have continued to blend to Roi's style. Tim has known DMB's sound forever and would have worked within that style like he always has. The loss of Roi and addition of Jeff I think had the biggest affect on the DMB sound.
    I disagree. DMB became a rock band when Butch left and Tim joined. The 08 shows before Roi went down were a way way different sound and vibe. Jeff adds to it for sure but they were going down this road before he joined.
    pzamps210 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #23
    hailtopitt
    Gimme that spatula!!!!!

Shows Seen: 44

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pzamps210 View Post
    I disagree. DMB became a rock band when Butch left and Tim joined. The 08 shows before Roi went down were a way way different sound and vibe. Jeff adds to it for sure but they were going down this road before he joined.
    this is correct
    hailtopitt is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-17-2013, 04:36 AM   #24
    #41Tom

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

such a shame to throw it all away.

BRING HIM BACK!!!!!!!!
    Old 12-17-2013, 05:35 AM   #25
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

My Tour Central Stats

Even in June 08 that radio rock sound still wasn't quite there yet.
    Old 12-17-2013, 06:16 AM   #26
    lalkb48
    My name is Dave(really)

Shows Seen: 80

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Perfect. It is funny but it is also very accurate.
    Old 12-17-2013, 07:25 AM   #27
    Panther41
    Since 1995

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    This (and a few other responses in this thread) nail it.

Jeff plays aggressively.
    Roi played passionately.

Part of me wishes that when Roi passed, they had made a sort of mourning record for him--no sax, just letting Stefan and Boyd fill in the gaps. Possibly a little Rashawn in the mix.

Yeah, I've said it before--Rashawn could have been part of the old DMB, his style meshed. But the band went in a different direction, and hey, I'm psyched they're still making new music.
    Panther41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-17-2013, 07:54 AM   #28
    Seek#41Up

Shows Seen: 79

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    They might have been going down a new road but I do not think the end result is what we have today or something even remotely close.

Did the sound change in 08...yeah they just introduced an electric guitar into their sound so it is going to change. My point was that if Roi was still with the band he would not have changed his style of playing to further change the sound the way the addition of Jeff did.

Rashawn was being groomed by Roi and was adapting well to Roi's style of playing. When Jeff came on Rashawn adapted to Jeff's playing style. That created a new sound with Tim, Rashawn, and Jeff which is the sound we have today.

Do you think we would still have this style if Roi was still alive?
    Seek#41Up is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-17-2013, 08:14 AM   #29
    berman1125

Shows Seen: 84

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Im gonna put my .02 cents in with the whole Jeff/Roi thing. It's all about the style of which they play and they are so completely different! I love em both. Roi seemed to really play from his soul. The notes he chose and the spacing he used was remarkable. It didn't take much to get choked up when listening to Roi and I dont even know why! How can someone playing the saxophone make you realize what life is about? I can't really answer that, but Roi has that ability. He stirs stuff up emotionally, at least for me he does. Ive felt like I connected most with roi in the band and he is what made me fall in love with dmb. When he would play that sorpano sax, instant goosebumps. 34, lover lay down, 41, liog, proudest monkey, dreaming tree, grace is gone...those songs with roi are timeless because I feel like we get a look into his soul when he is playing.

Jeff is the fucking man. He respects his instrument so much, and he respects and understands his opportunity and role with dmb, which I think says a lot about him as a man. He studied the fucking shit out of this band once he realized this was going to be a full time spot and I dont think we can really comprehend the work he had to put in without talking to him. I know he explained it a little bit in some videos, but I want to know exactly how much time he put in to study Roi. I didnt want him to copy Roi...I wanted him to understand where he was coming from and then play in his own way, which I think he has done perfectly. I still prefer the way Roi plays, but Jeff is his own player. Where Roi plays from his soul, Jeff plays from his heart. The heart is always going, just like Jeff. I feel like Jeff just goes on his instincts and just plays. When he gets going he, as another poster so eloquently put it, "hate fucks the shit out of his sax." See example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzFJT0_SN9k&t=124m7s

With the direction that the band has been going since 2008, Jeff is actually a very good fit for the band. Who knows what they would sound like with Roi 5 years later. Jeff and Rashawn seem to have a great relationship, and with Tim full time, DMB is definitely a rock band. The way that Jeff plays seems to fit well into that "rock sound" the band has today. Roi left us way too early...at least we have 17 great years of his great music to listen to. I am still eager to see what the future has in store for this band
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zrroot View Post
    Do You Remember has been played 92 times since 2017. Dreaming Tree has been played 99 times since 1998

Last edited by berman1125; 12-17-2013 at 08:16 AM.
    berman1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-17-2013, 08:16 AM   #30
    #41Tom

My Tour Central Stats

I think it's a mix.

Of course the sound was changing with the addition of 'new' Tim to replace the jazzier Butch. However, this was consolidated when Roi departed and Jeff stuck around.

I would have been different anyway with Tim and Roi, but because Tim and Jeff 'replaced' Roi and Butch, it just enhanced what was already going on to some level.