Weightlifting - Page 6 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 10-10-2010, 07:47 PM   #151
LaunchOne
omg w/e etc.

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Weightlifting

Alright, so I've been working out consistently for about 10 weeks now. Before that I wouldn't say I was inconsistent, necessarily, just wasn't taking protein or eating as well as I am now. Also wasn't doing nearly as much while at the gym as I have been since the beginning of August (unemployment has its advantages ).

I know 2 1/2 months isn't exactly a long time (especially considering the 4 extremely unhealthy years of college that just ended), but I feel like I should be seeing more significant changes. I mean, I'm getting stronger, slowly but surely, but I really don't see any major improvements in physique yet. I'm about 5'8ish, 130 pounds or so, and since getting out of school/moving back home in May I've actually lost like 10+ pounds without drinking heavily 3 days a week anymore (which goes with eating shitty, etc.).

My week usually consists of Chest on Monday, Biceps/Triceps Tuesday, Shoulders Thursday, Back/Chest Friday, and cardio Wednesday, Saturday, and sometimes Sunday. I never go into a day with a specific set of exercises planned, I kind of just wing it based on what I did the week before, availability of machines, etc. I guess my main thing is - would I benefit from cutting down the variety of exercises to a select number rather than trying so hard to switch it up each week? Maybe not an exact blueprint plan to follow, but more consistency at least. Or should I just be patient and keep doing what I'm doing?

Edit: I should probably add - I'm not really looking to put on a large amount of mass/muscle. At my size I think I'd just look bulky and ridiculous. Toned/general strength is probably more like it.

Thanks for any input, much appreciated.

Last edited by LaunchOne; 10-10-2010 at 07:49 PM.
LaunchOne is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 10-11-2010, 08:50 AM   #152
    Jimi Thing 10

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

How many sets/reps do you typically do? Even though you switch up your routine every week, are you still focusing on a compound lift?
    Jimi Thing 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-11-2010, 09:08 AM   #153
    LaunchOne
    omg w/e etc.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimi Thing 10 View Post
    How many sets/reps do you typically do? Even though you switch up your routine every week, are you still focusing on a compound lift?
    Four sets, typically go for 8-12 reps.
    Old 10-11-2010, 09:11 AM   #154
    Crush086
    Eyes Wide Open

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LaunchOne View Post
    My week usually consists of Chest on Monday, Biceps/Triceps Tuesday, Shoulders Thursday, Back/Chest Friday, and cardio Wednesday, Saturday, and sometimes Sunday. I never go into a day with a specific set of exercises planned, I kind of just wing it based on what I did the week before, availability of machines, etc. I guess my main thing is - would I benefit from cutting down the variety of exercises to a select number rather than trying so hard to switch it up each week? Maybe not an exact blueprint plan to follow, but more consistency at least. Or should I just be patient and keep doing what I'm doing?

Edit: I should probably add - I'm not really looking to put on a large amount of mass/muscle. At my size I think I'd just look bulky and ridiculous. Toned/general strength is probably more like it.

I'd suggest trying to keep a steady plan when you go to the gym. It's harder imo to gauge making gains if you're consistently switching (for example, you may find it easier to do an incline bench with dumbbells over a barbell, and since you're probably not lifting as heavy with the dumbbells, you may be psychologically thinking you're not making gains). Figure out a good workout and do it for a month or so. Every week, or session depending on how you approach either try to add a little bit more weight, or try to do a couple more reps.

Example would be doing a bench press. Say, one week you do this.

8 x 150, 8 x 150, 8 x 160, 8 x 160

Next time (or week) you lift, you could try to do 3 sets of 160 instead of 2 sets. Of course, that's just hypothetical and you don't have to follow that, but that's usually how I approach it. I'll add at least 5 lbs. to one of my sets when I lift when I go. You may not make gains as fast as other ways, but I find that my form doesn't suffer when I do it slower, instead of just trying to lift as heavy as possible and doing it wrong.
    Old 10-11-2010, 09:13 AM   #155
    achtungbaby

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

If you're not looking to add mass you'll want to keep your weights moderate as opposed to heavy. Keep your rep ranges higher as well. As many here will suggest build your workouts around compound lifts and keep doing cardio as you've been. A clean diet will do wonders for you
    achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-11-2010, 09:23 AM   #156
    LaunchOne
    omg w/e etc.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crush086 View Post
    I'd suggest trying to keep a steady plan when you go to the gym. It's harder imo to gauge making gains if you're consistently switching (for example, you may find it easier to do an incline bench with dumbbells over a barbell, and since you're probably not lifting as heavy with the dumbbells, you may be psychologically thinking you're not making gains). Figure out a good workout and do it for a month or so. Every week, or session depending on how you approach either try to add a little bit more weight, or try to do a couple more reps.

Example would be doing a bench press. Say, one week you do this.

8 x 150, 8 x 150, 8 x 160, 8 x 160

Next time (or week) you lift, you could try to do 3 sets of 160 instead of 2 sets. Of course, that's just hypothetical and you don't have to follow that, but that's usually how I approach it. I'll add at least 5 lbs. to one of my sets when I lift when I go. You may not make gains as fast as other ways, but I find that my form doesn't suffer when I do it slower, instead of just trying to lift as heavy as possible and doing it wrong.
    Oh yeah, I definitely try to add a little weight each time. It's not like I'm trying to bench 150 this week, then jump to 200 next week. I write down everything I do which really helps keep track of where I am. The problem (I think) is sometimes I'll go 2-3 weeks without repeating an exercise. Writing it down allows me to go back and see how much I did/how many reps, then I'll add a bit of weight to whatever I did the last time.

For example, today I'm doing chest. I tend to stick with free weights since I don't have a spotter. Maybe today I'll do incline flies at some point; but, maybe I won't do those again until 3 weeks from now since I've been trying to use such a wide variety of exercises. That just doesn't seem right, which is why I'm wondering if I'd benefit from being more consistent for awhile rather than switching it up so much each time I go.
    Old 10-11-2010, 08:39 PM   #157
    Jimi Thing 10

My Tour Central Stats

It wouldn't hurt since you're not liking to gains you've seen so far.
    Old 10-11-2010, 09:11 PM   #158
    venelis888

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Alright, so I've been working out consistently for about 10 weeks now. Before that I wouldn't say I was inconsistent, necessarily, just wasn't taking protein or eating as well as I am now. Also wasn't doing nearly as much while at the gym as I have been since the beginning of August (unemployment has its advantages ).

I know 2 1/2 months isn't exactly a long time (especially considering the 4 extremely unhealthy years of college that just ended), but I feel like I should be seeing more significant changes. I mean, I'm getting stronger, slowly but surely, but I really don't see any major improvements in physique yet. I'm about 5'8ish, 130 pounds or so, and since getting out of school/moving back home in May I've actually lost like 10+ pounds without drinking heavily 3 days a week anymore (which goes with eating shitty, etc.).

dont listen to all those ads you see that say "gain 30 pounds in 3 months" its bullshit, you cant gain that much in three months. the most muscle you can gain in a year believe in or not is about 5-10 pounds or maybe a little more, just stay consistent and DONT give up, never give up. dont get discouraged it took me about eight months before I started to see stretch marks on the side of my chest and definition. Now I know stretch marks arent the most desirable thing, but you'll probably get some down the line. For me they were a good sign that im growing. Also remember to get stronger from week to week, wether it'd be a few more reps on an exercise or increasing the weight by 2 1/2 or 5 pounds. Just keep up on your program, it takes time. Also eat ALOT. use big compound exercises like the deadlift, squat, and benchpress. Just follow the philosophy of lift big, eat big, to get big.
    venelis888 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-11-2010, 09:21 PM   #159
    venelis888

My Tour Central Stats

also just stay motivated, just think of the reasons why you're working out.

1. is it because you want to be healthy?

2. are you doing it for a certain someone?

3. or do you just want people to be scard shitless of you haha?

just think of stuff that will keep you motivated to keep going, the 3 I named are just examples.

oh and also taking an off week in beneficial. what I usually do is workout for 12 weeks then take 1 week off.
    Old 10-11-2010, 09:22 PM   #160
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by venelis888 View Post
    dont listen to all those ads you see that say "gain 30 pounds in 3 months" its bullshit, you cant gain that much in three months. the most muscle you can gain in a year believe in or not is about 5-10 pounds or maybe a little more, just stay consistent and DONT give up, never give up. dont get discouraged it took me about eight months before I started to see stretch marks on the side of my chest and definition. Now I know stretch marks arent the most desirable thing, but you'll probably get some down the line. For me they were a good sign that im growing. Also remember to get stronger from week to week, wether it'd be a few more reps on an exercise or increasing the weight by 2 1/2 or 5 pounds. Just keep up on your program, it takes time. Also eat ALOT. use big compound exercises like the deadlift, squat, and benchpress. Just follow the philosophy of lift big, eat big, to get big.
    I completely agree..I've been eating big, and honestly, I've gained about 9 pounds in 5.5 weeks. Now I know not all 9 pounds is muscle, but my gut doesn't look any bigger. Also, don't get discouraged about big improvements. If you're able to do 2 more reps at the same weight in your 3rd or 4th set, that's an improvement
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prime Minister
    In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.
    cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-11-2010, 09:25 PM   #161
    venelis888

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cry_minarets458 View Post
    I completely agree..I've been eating big, and honestly, I've gained about 9 pounds in 5.5 weeks. Now I know not all 9 pounds is muscle, but my gut doesn't look any bigger. Also, don't get discouraged about big improvements. If you're able to do 2 more reps at the same weight in your 3rd or 4th set, that's an improvement
    for sure man that whats it about just little improvements over time
    Old 10-11-2010, 09:26 PM   #162
    venelis888

My Tour Central Stats

oh and for christ sake, stay humble
    Old 10-11-2010, 09:28 PM   #163
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    oh and for christ sake, stay humble
    If this was directed at me, I am . I've only gained alot of weight because I was underweight, and I'm excited for a change to be making progress. I was just pointing out that gains do come, that is all.
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Old 10-11-2010, 09:30 PM   #164
    venelis888

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cry_minarets458 View Post
    If this was directed at me, I am . I've only gained alot of weight because I was underweight, and I'm excited for a change to be making progress. I was just pointing out that gains do come, that is all.
    haha no man not directed at you haha. just a reminder to everyone. i guess
    Old 10-11-2010, 09:33 PM   #165
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    haha no man not directed at you haha. just a reminder to everyone. i guess
    Ok, we cool bro, fo sho!
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Old 10-12-2010, 07:06 AM   #166
    jpevear

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I know 2 1/2 months isn't exactly a long time (especially considering the 4 extremely unhealthy years of college that just ended), but I feel like I should be seeing more significant changes. I mean, I'm getting stronger, slowly but surely, but I really don't see any major improvements in physique yet.
    After 2 1/2 months you should look like this.

2.5 months of progress
    Old 10-12-2010, 09:04 AM   #167
    Jimi Thing 10

My Tour Central Stats

Also, don't wear tank tops.
    Old 10-12-2010, 09:29 AM   #168
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

www.topfatlosstrainer.com

I've been following some of the stuff on that site and his workouts are really, really intense. I've slacked off now for about a week and a half since I got sick and had an ear infection, but I was definitely noticing results. Apparently he has a really good reputation for fitness boot camps in the Phoenix area.
    Old 10-14-2010, 08:06 AM   #169
    Luther College

My Tour Central Stats

To the people who use/have used Jack3d as a pre-workout supplement..

In the reviews I've read, a lot of people say they feel like they cannot sit still at the gym. I'm wondering if Jack3d will work not only as a means to workout for longer periods of time, but also as a way to kind of wake me up in general. My schedule permits that I can only get to the gym in the mornings, and often times I feel like I'm still so damn tired that I'm not getting the quality of workout I would get if I had time to life at, say, 5 pm. Essentially, if I take Jack3d at 8:30 am, will it help me feel more awake by the time I get to the gym at 9:15?
    Luther College is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-14-2010, 08:46 AM   #170
    Crush086
    Eyes Wide Open

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Luther College View Post

In the reviews I've read, a lot of people say they feel like they cannot sit still at the gym. I'm wondering if Jack3d will work not only as a means to workout for longer periods of time, but also as a way to kind of wake me up in general. My schedule permits that I can only get to the gym in the mornings, and often times I feel like I'm still so damn tired that I'm not getting the quality of workout I would get if I had time to life at, say, 5 pm. Essentially, if I take Jack3d at 8:30 am, will it help me feel more awake by the time I get to the gym at 9:15?
    It should wake you up pretty good. I wake up at around 5AM usually tired from getting only 6 or less hours of sleep. When I took that I didn't even feel tired at the gym. You should have no problem by the time you get to the gym.

Heck, I still felt wired by the time I got to work 3 hours later. That stuff is pretty potent, especially if you have a low stim tolerance.
    Old 10-14-2010, 09:03 AM   #171
    jpevear

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Luther College View Post

Yes, you are supposed to take it 45 minutes prior to your workout.
    Old 10-16-2010, 08:55 PM   #172
    Crush086
    Eyes Wide Open

My Tour Central Stats

I was chosen to test some of Optimum Nutrition's Amino Energy. It's pretty good stuff. It's not a preworkout drink or anything like that, but more of something to sip on during the day or whenever for a little boost and some extra BCAAs.

http://www.optimumnutrition.com/prod...rgy-p-275.html

As part of the deal, I have to log it. I just started it, but once I'm finished I'll link to it (in about a week or so, it's only 30 servings, but it's suggested to use more than one serving depending on the situation. The other part of the deal is to try it in various different situations and different dosages).
    Old 10-16-2010, 09:58 PM   #173
    achtungbaby

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I was chosen to test some of Optimum Nutrition's Amino Energy. It's pretty good stuff. It's not a preworkout drink or anything like that, but more of something to sip on during the day or whenever for a little boost and some extra BCAAs.

As part of the deal, I have to log it. I just started it, but once I'm finished I'll link to it (in about a week or so, it's only 30 servings, but it's suggested to use more than one serving depending on the situation. The other part of the deal is to try it in various different situations and different dosages).
    good for you to get that opportunity. looking forward to hearing what you think
    achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-17-2010, 07:32 PM   #174
    LaunchOne
    omg w/e etc.

My Tour Central Stats

Anybody use Optimum Nutrition Oats & Whey? I'm thinking about switching to this for post-workouts since it's all natural and whatnot, but I'd like to get some feedback before buying 3 pounds of it.
    Old 10-17-2010, 07:41 PM   #175
    ctk11

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Anybody use Optimum Nutrition Oats & Whey? I'm thinking about switching to this for post-workouts since it's all natural and whatnot, but I'd like to get some feedback before buying 3 pounds of it.
    saw that on wheycheap today, i was curious too. looks good, but i still have half a tub of weight gainer and don't have the money.

"Old friend you are, Old friend you stay"~RIP Leroi~
    ctk11 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-17-2010, 08:11 PM   #176
    Crush086
    Eyes Wide Open

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah, I keep some at my desk at work. Usually I eat something like tuna and egg burritos after my workout with my protein shake, but in the rare case that I can't or don't eat breakfast (which happens when I don't get up to go to the gym in the morning) I have 2 scoops in a shake for breakfast.

It's not too bad, but you have to keep stirring/shaking it, otherwise you end up with all the oats at the bottom, and it's not that tasty.

I also prefer the chocolate over the vanilla bean. I have both at my desk, but the chocolate is preferred over the vanilla.
    Old 10-18-2010, 04:03 AM   #177
    jpevear

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I drink something similiar called Xtend

It's basically the same thing as what your taking. I drink it during my workout rather than sipping throughout the day. It tastes good, just don't know how effective it is.
    Old 10-18-2010, 05:28 AM   #178
    lotas
    would u not like 2 be?

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone here ever done Combat Conditioning? I was an avid lifter for years, but I've been doing this for the past few weeks and love it.
    lotas is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-18-2010, 06:08 AM   #179
    cward

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Is this where we discuss 12 oz. curls?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beefsteak1138 View Post
    You sound like a curmudgeony old man.
    cward is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-18-2010, 06:40 AM   #180
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

By the way if anyone uses L-Glutamate for muscle-recovery time you should also know that it's an antioxidant which helps fight cancer and does wonders for your entire gastrointestinal tract and should ensure you never get an ulcer or GERD.

I dont' weightlift, but I take L-Glutamate for my digestion so I can get off the PPI's like Pariet and allow natural levels of HCL to return.