Weightlifting - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 09-14-2010, 10:18 AM   #61
jpevear

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Weightlifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom hudson View Post
did a pretty badass circuit this morning

i have a question about hose no2 supplements for anyone that's taken them regularly:

when you stop taking them, do you find yourself losing motivation?
that happened to me about 2-3 yrs ago w/noxplode...i took it for a month (and my workouts were insane), then stopped, and felt my motivation level and strength decrease (rather quickly), which is why i am hesitant to take anything like that again

Just never end the cycle!!

I don't lose motivation, just don't have the focus and 'intense' energy that a pre-workout supplement provides, especially after being at the office all day.

I switch it up when I cycle off the pre-workout supplements by lightening up my weight load and doing more reps.....or doing less reps with more weight. Right now I'm doing lots of reps with more weight...
jpevear is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-14-2010, 10:48 AM   #62
    gonz085
    Tag Team Back Again

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

im no body builder, but I would never use supplements. tried whey protein for a bit, didn't really do anything. In my opinion it's all about routine. I'd rather be a solid rock that isn't that huge than be some huge meat head. Hope that last part didn't offend anyone.
    gonz085 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-14-2010, 10:57 AM   #63
    thom hudson
    Cold Noses

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

i currently only use whey protein...i'd love to take something that will help me take it up a notch
    Old 09-14-2010, 11:26 AM   #64
    jpevear

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    i currently only use whey protein...i'd love to take something that will help me take it up a notch
    Try Jack3d as a pre-workout supplement. The only thing to kick your body and muscles up a notch is to work out harder, and this allows you to do so. As I already wrote, I also drink Xtend as a intra-workout drink. Those two, along with Whey protein, and a sensible diet, see mine listed on this page or the previous, have given me some great results. May not work for you, but certainly works for me.
    Old 09-14-2010, 01:51 PM   #65
    achtungbaby

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpevear View Post
    Try Jack3d as a pre-workout supplement. The only thing to kick your body and muscles up a notch is to work out harder, and this allows you to do so. As I already wrote, I also drink Xtend as a intra-workout drink. Those two, along with Whey protein, and a sensible diet, see mine listed on this page or the previous, have given me some great results. May not work for you, but certainly works for me.
    ^^^x2^^^
    achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-14-2010, 02:03 PM   #66
    venelis888

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

squats and deadlifts are the two most important lifts, they release alot of natural growth hormone in your body. I actually puked for the first time in the gym the other day from doing a squat session, i felt hardcore lol. I'm a pretty intermediate lifter just started about 4 months ago, have gained about 12 pounds. I just boosted my calorie intake on monday up to about 4000, we'll see how thing go.
    venelis888 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-14-2010, 02:08 PM   #67
    venelis888

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    did a pretty badass circuit this morning

i have a question about hose no2 supplements for anyone that's taken them regularly:

when you stop taking them, do you find yourself losing motivation?
    that happened to me about 2-3 yrs ago w/noxplode...i took it for a month (and my workouts were insane), then stopped, and felt my motivation level and strength decrease (rather quickly), which is why i am hesitant to take anything like that again
    noxplode should be called assxplode.
    Old 09-14-2010, 03:54 PM   #68
    jpevear

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by venelis888 View Post
    squats and deadlifts are the two most important lifts, they release alot of natural growth hormone in your body. I actually puked for the first time in the gym the other day from doing a squat session, i felt hardcore lol. I'm a pretty intermediate lifter just started about 4 months ago, have gained about 12 pounds. I just boosted my calorie intake on monday up to about 4000, we'll see how thing go.

That has to be embarrassing. Sometimes in between workouts, I sit here and hope to god I don't puke. I can feel it coming... but just got to hold it back. My gym doesn't have any 'open' garbage cans... they have slots on the sides, so if I had to puke, it would be on the floor.

As for gaining weight, a safe rule for me, without overdoing it was, if you want to gain lbs, eat an extra 500 calories per day, and if you want to lose lbs, eat 500 less calories per day.

Last edited by jpevear; 09-14-2010 at 03:55 PM.
    Old 09-14-2010, 04:57 PM   #69
    venelis888

My Tour Central Stats

haha yea, luckily nobody saw i made it into the bathroom
    Old 09-20-2010, 04:29 PM   #70
    Logan24
    WPB 2010... enough said

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

69th post. giggity
    Orange glasses with Yellow lenses - Rivers Cuomo of Weezer
    Logan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2010, 05:17 AM   #71
    Crush086
    Eyes Wide Open

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

I like the Xtend. Only downside is the mix of Cherry White Flood, Sour Apple Green Mag, and then Grape Xtend is the unfavorable taste it leaves in my mouth during the workout.

But it delivers results, so it will just have to be that way.
    Old 09-21-2010, 05:42 AM   #72
    dmbredsox36
    'celebrate we will'

My Tour Central Stats

Hey guys, nice to find a thread on this topic for us. I've been working out 4-5x/week over the last year or so and finally like the results it's gotten me. I've taken several pre-workouts, but now am taking Jackd and some cassein/whey protein mixes post workout. While I'm not a dictator about it, I do try to eat healthy all week, drink lots of water, milk, etc. So I'm just was looking for some additional advice.

I'm a pretty small guy thanks to my genes (25yrs old, 5'4", 135lbs) and am wondering how to add on weight/muscle over the upcoming fall/winter. I know everyone says you need to eat more calories, but my issue is what/when to eat more? I work a 8-4:30 job, then have gym time afterwards. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and I'd be glad to share any information/tips I've picked up as well. Cheers ~
    dmbredsox36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2010, 06:11 AM   #73
    Crush086
    Eyes Wide Open

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbredsox36 View Post
    Hey guys, nice to find a thread on this topic for us. I've been working out 4-5x/week over the last year or so and finally like the results it's gotten me. I've taken several pre-workouts, but now am taking Jackd and some cassein/whey protein mixes post workout. While I'm not a dictator about it, I do try to eat healthy all week, drink lots of water, milk, etc. So I'm just was looking for some additional advice.

I'm a pretty small guy thanks to my genes (25yrs old, 5'4", 135lbs) and am wondering how to add on weight/muscle over the upcoming fall/winter. I know everyone says you need to eat more calories, but my issue is what/when to eat more? I work a 8-4:30 job, then have gym time afterwards. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and I'd be glad to share any information/tips I've picked up as well. Cheers ~
    The good news for you is that being smaller (like me: 5'5", 148lbs) is that it won't take nearly as much to get bigger as someone larger.

There's two ways to approach getting bigger. You can do a "dirty bulk", which is pretty much eating whatever the heck you want to get that surplus. This isn't advisable though because you'll also probably gain alot of fat too, so when you start the cutting you'll have to do it longer (and cutting isn't the most fun).

Back to what I was saying about the benefit to being smaller, is that your maintenance levels are going to be much lower than someone who is, say 6'2", 205lbs, which means that you won't have to eat nowhere near as much as someone of that size to start building the muscle. Realistically adding a shake with the powder below and maybe an extra snack will be enough to hit that 500 calorie surplus (sounds like your diet is pretty good).

There's plenty of protein powders that are aimed specifically at building mass, like Optimum Nutrition's Pro Complex Gainer (650 calories, 60g Protein). That alone will likely contribute to a good chunk of your daily surplus (and protein intake). Other good options for snacks are almonds (servings are typically a handful, and provide a good 120+ calories per serving) and peanut butter. Of course you'll want to keep your macros in check and make sure you're getting your protein and carbs and all that, but these couple of things will likely be of great benefit to you during your muscle building.

The only downside to the powder is they're typically significantly more expensive than protein powders that are less calorie dense.
    Old 09-21-2010, 06:28 AM   #74
    dmbredsox36
    'celebrate we will'

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crush086 View Post
    The good news for you is that being smaller (like me: 5'5", 148lbs) is that it won't take nearly as much to get bigger as someone larger.

There's two ways to approach getting bigger. You can do a "dirty bulk", which is pretty much eating whatever the heck you want to get that surplus. This isn't advisable though because you'll also probably gain alot of fat too, so when you start the cutting you'll have to do it longer (and cutting isn't the most fun).

Back to what I was saying about the benefit to being smaller, is that your maintenance levels are going to be much lower than someone who is, say 6'2", 205lbs, which means that you won't have to eat nowhere near as much as someone of that size to start building the muscle. Realistically adding a shake with the powder below and maybe an extra snack will be enough to hit that 500 calorie surplus (sounds like your diet is pretty good).

There's plenty of protein powders that are aimed specifically at building mass, like Optimum Nutrition's Pro Complex Gainer (650 calories, 60g Protein). That alone will likely contribute to a good chunk of your daily surplus (and protein intake). Other good options for snacks are almonds (servings are typically a handful, and provide a good 120+ calories per serving) and peanut butter. Of course you'll want to keep your macros in check and make sure you're getting your protein and carbs and all that, but these couple of things will likely be of great benefit to you during your muscle building.

The only downside to the powder is they're typically significantly more expensive than protein powders that are less calorie dense.
    Well alright then, that sounds manageable. I think my biggest issue is that when I've tried to gain weight in the past (maybe 2 yrs ago) it usually ends up along my stomach area, the one place I don't want it! Lol, but maybe if I try adding the additional calories of the fall/winter, I won't mind as much. And then try to lean that area out next spring?

And if anyone's looking for some new ideas/routines, here's some links of a guy I follow on YouTube/Facebook. Very energetic, knowledgable guy with lots of videos. Updated tips/videos constantly.

Thanks again for the help ~

YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruR1HLYLNT8
    Channel Link: http://www.youtube.com/user/ScottHermanFitness
    dmbredsox36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2010, 06:45 AM   #75
    Crush086
    Eyes Wide Open

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbredsox36 View Post
    Well alright then, that sounds manageable. I think my biggest issue is that when I've tried to gain weight in the past (maybe 2 yrs ago) it usually ends up along my stomach area, the one place I don't want it! Lol, but maybe if I try adding the additional calories of the fall/winter, I won't mind as much. And then try to lean that area out next spring?
    That's not a bad strategy at all. Kane Sumabat (current representative for Controlled Labs) has said that he bulks in 2-4 month sessions, and he's got an amazing physique for someone in their 40's. (no homo)

You likely won't be gaining alot of muscle in that timespan (since gaining muscle is a way slower process than burning fat), but it'd certainly be more manageable to control gaining the fat that way too.
    Old 09-21-2010, 09:20 AM   #76
    achtungbaby

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crush086 View Post

Back to what I was saying about the benefit to being smaller, is that your maintenance levels are going to be much lower than someone who is, say 6'2", 205lbs, which means that you won't have to eat nowhere near as much as someone of that size to start building the muscle.
    This is me exactly, and I have a hell of a time gaining muscle. Now that I'm old(er) I find I gain belly weight more than I used to if I am not careful when I increase my food intake. As was mentioned above being 5'5 is a definite advantage if you want to gain muscle, bumping up your calories (cleanly, of course) and lifting heavier will get you the results you want.
    Old 09-21-2010, 09:31 AM   #77
    Jimi Thing 10

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

I've seen those Scott Herman vids. The biggest issue I have is that he does drop sets for the first set. You're not gonna be able to put up a heavier weight or as many reps as you would if you did the drop set last.
    Jimi Thing 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2010, 10:57 AM   #78
    LaunchOne
    omg w/e etc.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimi Thing 10 View Post
    I've seen those Scott Herman vids. The biggest issue I have is that he does drop sets for the first set. You're not gonna be able to put up a heavier weight or as many reps as you would if you did the drop set last.
    I was going to say something similar. It also seems like he does drop sets like...a lot. I mean, I mix them in, but not nearly as frequently as he seems to. Is there a general rule of thumb to follow as far as how often you should incorporate them, and at which point during a workout?
    Old 09-21-2010, 11:04 AM   #79
    dollarbill

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

40mg of dbol a day for 4-6weeks
    500 mg of test e a week for 10-12weeks

thats all you need
    dollarbill is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2010, 11:35 AM   #80
    Jimi Thing 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LaunchOne View Post
    I was going to say something similar. It also seems like he does drop sets like...a lot. I mean, I mix them in, but not nearly as frequently as he seems to. Is there a general rule of thumb to follow as far as how often you should incorporate them, and at which point during a workout?
    When I do drop sets I'll do them with the big core lifts (bench, squat, dead, military) or for a lift/muscle that I feel is lagging.
    Old 09-21-2010, 12:32 PM   #81
    achtungbaby

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimi Thing 10 View Post
    When I do drop sets I'll do them with the big core lifts (bench, squat, dead, military) or for a lift/muscle that I feel is lagging.
    x2. I will sometimes add them onto the last set only, doing 2 or 3 dropsets after I reach my max to blast whatever muscle it is without affecting how heavy I can go through the lifts. It's funny to see jacked up guys struggling to life a 20 pound dumbbell
    Old 09-21-2010, 12:35 PM   #82
    nadia

Shows Seen: 95

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by achtungbaby View Post
    x2. I will sometimes add them onto the last set only, doing 2 or 3 dropsets after I reach my max to blast whatever muscle it is without affecting how heavy I can go through the lifts. It's funny to see jacked up guys struggling to life a 20 pound dumbbell
    LOL--it's humbling when you get stuffed by a "light" weight at rep 30 or 40 on a drop set
    nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2010, 12:47 PM   #83
    venelis888

My Tour Central Stats

another thing to put your focus on is to get stronger from week to week, whether it be adding 2 1/2 or 5 pounds to your lifts each week, or just trying to lift the weight for more reps.
    Old 09-23-2010, 09:45 AM   #84
    spoot388

Shows Seen: 94

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

anybody ever try taking amino acids to gain weight/muscle?? i'd like to stay away from protein shakes if i can, but i've never heard anybody use aminos before. how well do they work? this website i found says they work great for muscle building, but i'd like to hear from people who have used them before.

here's an example of what i'm talking about. maybe someone can make sense of the description for me. i'm new to the whole weightlifting thing. http://www.dpsnutrition.net/get_item_kr004.htm
    Old 09-23-2010, 09:51 AM   #85
    Jimi Thing 10

My Tour Central Stats

Since you're just getting started, you're definitely better off going with a protein. imo.
    Old 09-23-2010, 10:16 AM   #86
    jmudmbphan
    27 WS + 14 NATL TITLES

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpevear View Post
    I work one muscle every day, 5-6 days a week, for a minimum of an hour and a half. Since I started doing that, I've seen impressive gains. Would never go back to working two or three muscles per day. Besides, you are inadvertently working other muscle groups when focusing on one... ie. If your doing chest, you are also working your triceps and shoulders, but the main concentration is on the chest.
    90 minutes of biceps is entirely too much work for such a small muscle group.
    because they are clearly better.......? How's that for a reason? They also played IN New York, on a cold windy night. You put Elisha in a no-elements warm climate and he's fucked. No way in high holy fuck is New England going to lose the Super Bowl. It's not going to happen.
    jmudmbphan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-23-2010, 10:18 AM   #87
    jmudmbphan
    27 WS + 14 NATL TITLES

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spoot388 View Post
    anybody ever try taking amino acids to gain weight/muscle?? i'd like to stay away from protein shakes if i can, but i've never heard anybody use aminos before. how well do they work? this website i found says they work great for muscle building, but i'd like to hear from people who have used them before.

here's an example of what i'm talking about. maybe someone can make sense of the description for me. i'm new to the whole weightlifting thing. http://www.dpsnutrition.net/get_item_kr004.htm
    why do you want to stay away from proteins? your muscle is built of, and needs protein..

i take protein, creatine...have always worked out, but have REALLY started working out for the past 18 months. I bench double my body weight, low bodyfat, etc etc. that combo works wonders.
    because they are clearly better.......? How's that for a reason? They also played IN New York, on a cold windy night. You put Elisha in a no-elements warm climate and he's fucked. No way in high holy fuck is New England going to lose the Super Bowl. It's not going to happen.
    Old 09-23-2010, 10:18 AM   #88
    jmudmbphan
    27 WS + 14 NATL TITLES

My Tour Central Stats

also...

http://shareitfitness.wordpress.com/

great fitness/weight lifting blog...good post today about creatine.
    Old 09-23-2010, 11:00 AM   #89
    nadia

Shows Seen: 95

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

amino acids make up proteins, and the protein you eat gets broken down into amino acids in your gut to get absorbed anyway. not a nutritionist, but it's a gimimck in my opinion.
    nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-23-2010, 11:45 AM   #90
    thom hudson
    Cold Noses

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

creatine gave me chest pains so i stopped taking it...it had to be the creatine because i wasnt taking anything else but whey protein at the time, and when i cut out the creatine, the chest pain went away...is that a standard side effect? anyone else ever experience that?

Last edited by thom hudson; 09-23-2010 at 11:47 AM.
    thom hudson is offline   Reply With Quote