New Dave Matthews Rolling Stone Article - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 09-30-2015, 12:21 PM   #91
ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New Dave Matthews Rolling Stone Article

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB1983 View Post
I don't understand Dave's comment about it, it's probably not the whole idea considering he operates one of the more successful labels and hasn't given up on it.

Interesting point and one that I forgot about
ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-30-2015, 01:16 PM   #92
    madhatter

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RSSR View Post
    DMB will always have a spot in my shopping cart for concert and album CDs, maybe not so much for most anyone else.
    DMB studio albums are an automatic purchase for me. And I'll get the physical CD, rather than just a download.

Live albums depend on their uniqueness or if there are particular songs that are worthwhile having from that concert. But that will be an MP3 purchase, if anything.
    madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-30-2015, 07:11 PM   #93
    danb5520

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

This article just screams it's over (figure of speech). Out of ideas and the live show has nosedived. Please just release the vault. That's all I want at this point. To listen and remember when this band was great.
    danb5520 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-30-2015, 07:41 PM   #94
    TheStone91

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    If they had a shred of credibility before, they lost it all with the UVA story. I try not to read them, but saw this article with DM so I gave it a chance again. I will not in the future.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is this UVA story I keep seeing being mentioned on here?
    TheStone91 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-30-2015, 08:56 PM   #95
    DMB1983

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheStone91 View Post
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is this UVA story I keep seeing being mentioned on here?
    The ran a hugely publicized story about the rape culture of a fraternity at UVA. An anonymous woman claimed to have been taken advantage of in horrendous ways by that particular fraternity, and went to RS about it. She was hailed as a hero, victim and wanted to change the rape culture of college.

Turns out it was all made up and all her "facts" were all lies that the editor and journalist failed to catch or make an attempt to. They pretty much fabricated an entire story based on this girls lies. UVA, the fraternity and people mentioned are now suing RS for slander. RS had to apologize and fire a lot of top staff over it.

Moral of the story, don't believe everything you read. Especially Rolling Stone magazine.
    DMB1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-30-2015, 09:12 PM   #96
    TheStone91

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The ran a hugely publicized story about the rape culture of a fraternity at UVA. An anonymous woman claimed to have been taken advantage of in horrendous ways by that particular fraternity, and went to RS about it. She was hailed as a hero, victim and wanted to change the rape culture of college.

Turns out it was all made up and all her "facts" were all lies that the editor and journalist failed to catch or make an attempt to. They pretty much fabricated an entire story based on this girls lies. UVA, the fraternity and people mentioned are now suing RS for slander. RS had to apologize and fire a lot of top staff over it.

Moral of the story, don't believe everything you read. Especially Rolling Stone magazine.

Wow, not only is that extremely unprofessional, it's unethical as well. Sad to hear that a major magazine could ever let that happen...
    TheStone91 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-01-2015, 07:10 AM   #97
    WidespreadMule3

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Rolling Stone has been garbage for a looooooonng time. Them fabricating a story doesn't surprise me at all. Ever since they put that terror boy on the cover a few years ago I've had some pretty deep distaste for them.
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-01-2015, 07:20 AM   #98
    cornnuts

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    Rolling Stone has been garbage for a looooooonng time. Them fabricating a story doesn't surprise me at all. Ever since they put that terror boy on the cover a few years ago I've had some pretty deep distaste for them.
    yep, putting that scumbag on the cover in a glorifying manner was absolutely insane. that magazine has been less than worthless for a long long time
    cornnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-01-2015, 07:49 AM   #99
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

After seeing my first concert at Radio City last week, I would totally go see D+T perform there. Sucked not getting tickets in 2007 and it'll probably be harder to get tickets for the next time around, as lower quantity of tickets and more demand as D+T would probably be more enjoyable than DMB to the die hard fan at this point in time.
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prime Minister
    In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.
    cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-01-2015, 09:19 AM   #100
    ToySoldier#34

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cornnuts View Post
    yep, putting that scumbag on the cover in a glorifying manner was absolutely insane. that magazine has been less than worthless for a long long time

Good old Dzhokhar Dylan just hanging out and enjoying almost killing some of my friends, that cover pissed me off so much
    ToySoldier#34 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-01-2015, 09:54 AM   #101
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

When they announced that I remember there being so much backlash. I hoped it would've been so bad it'd cause them fold but unfortunately not. That was sensationalism journalism at its finest.
    Old 10-01-2015, 10:20 AM   #102
    vidonimt

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

And when should fans expect a new album?
    We're going to have an album at some point. It's not the Eighties or Nineties or Seventies when it mattered.

I get what he is saying, but it DOES matter to put out new music. People don't always want new music in the form of a live copy that they have to go find.

His logic doesn't really make sense. They allow people to tape the shows, so why sell live CD's? If it didn't matter, why put them out?

Kind of a knock at studio's also. That's how they stay in business.
    vidonimt is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-01-2015, 10:47 AM   #103
    RSSR
    Nancies.org, always.

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

In a way, Dave is right. Albums have been dying a slow death. However, people still want new studio work and that can easily remedied by giving us EPs, maybe one per year.
    RSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-01-2015, 11:40 AM   #104
    Colin

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Albums don't matter. For much of their history, they were a scam. Would you pay $15 for one or two songs you like? Hell no! But would you pay $15 for 12 songs by an artist because that's the only way to get the one or two songs you like? Of course! Now, with on-demand streaming, there is no incentive to buy or listen to a full album, and most people don't have the time or attention to do it anyway.

That doesn't mean officially released, recorded music isn't important, however. And that's where Dave misses the boat. Fans have not had any new, officially released music in three years. If we're waiting for Dave to write and record 12 songs that he's "in love with" and put them on an album, we're going to be waiting a lot longer. Most fans will get frustrated, some will move on.

But, chances are, there are a few new songs that he does love. DMB should release those as an EP. Even if there's only one new song that he loves, release it as a standalone single. Then, when the next song he loves is done, release that as a single. Rinse and repeat.

With an album, there's a burst of publicity for a week or two around the release, and then the buzz dies down. DMB hasn't benefited from such a buzz since 2012 (and even that was very low-key compared to previous albums). With smaller, more frequent releases, DMB would generate more excitement among hardcore fans and stay on the radar of more casual fans as well.
    Colin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-01-2015, 01:06 PM   #105
    DMB1983

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Forgot all about the terrorist on the cover of RS. Ya. They are pretty much the worst.

As a music fan, I love studio albums still from all my favorite artists. But legal streaming has killed the point of listening to one from start to finish. If you don't pay for it, why sift through any material that doesn't immediately catch your ears. Though many of my all time favorite albums took time to grow on me because I would give the lesser gratifying songs a chance.

On the upside, it makes a good album that much better because you really can't have throwaway material anymore.
    DMB1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-01-2015, 01:28 PM   #106
    WidespreadMule3

My Tour Central Stats

I don't think the album is quite as dead as it seems.

Look at a lot of what Jack White is doing with his projects. They don't really release singles and his last solo album was the highest selling vinyl album in like 30 years or so.

Look at Taylor Swift's last two albums, "Red" & "1989" both have been such an emphasis on the album that almost every song was released as a single. Even my fiancé went out and bought both of those CDs because she loved all the songs being released.

As a whole, yes, the album isn't as strong as in the 70s when you had artists releasing albums left and right. But that was before a lot of artists (primarily today's hip-hop and pop) just release singles. They don't put out full albums anymore.

I think there's still a good portion of people that still treasure the album. I have a Spotify Premium account but it's so I can listen to full albums on there before I buy them. When you buy too many crap albums over the years you want to make sure you like them before you spend $15+.
    Old 10-01-2015, 02:02 PM   #107
    pogoslis

Shows Seen: 69

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The ran a hugely publicized story about the rape culture of a fraternity at UVA.
    Phi Psi's! We are innocent I tell ya!

pogoslis is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-01-2015, 03:30 PM   #108
    blaise34

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cornnuts View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Good old Dzhokhar Dylan just hanging out and enjoying almost killing some of my friends, that cover pissed me off so much

For the record, that was the exact same picture the New York Times used on their front page, above the fold. I'm gonna guess none of you actually read the article in that issue. You should really take 3 minutes and read this, its called context - http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...ative-20130719

Last edited by blaise34; 10-01-2015 at 03:31 PM.
    blaise34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-02-2015, 04:44 AM   #109
    twostepr41

Shows Seen: 32

My Tour Central Stats

1. If you want the government to tax the shit out of you, why not just pay what you think they should tax you?

2. We've heard this "written a coupe of albums worth" talk before and it was largely garbage that we get puked on with at shows now. Probably won't be worth buying....again.
    twostepr41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-02-2015, 05:44 AM   #110
    jimmything014

Shows Seen: 50

My Tour Central Stats

If dave is so worried about the poor/middle class and wants to be taxed so much then why doesn't he drop his ticket prices to $20-$30?? He should pay livenation off and do what he wants with ticket prices if hes so concerned with the 'little guy.'
    2019 show: CMAC 6/18
    jimmything014 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-02-2015, 05:51 AM   #111
    DMBstandUP1984
    Seemingly Ranch

Shows Seen: 34

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jimmything014 View Post
    If dave is so worried about the poor/middle class and wants to be taxed so much then why doesn't he drop his ticket prices to $20-$30?? He should pay livenation off and do what he wants with ticket prices if hes so concerned with the 'little guy.'
    compared to other artist his tickets are on the lower end, no?

Does Dave even set the ticket prices?
    DMBstandUP1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-02-2015, 05:52 AM   #112
    DMBstandUP1984
    Seemingly Ranch

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by twostepr41 View Post
    1. If you want the government to tax the shit out of you, why not just pay what you think they should tax you?

2. We've heard this "written a coupe of albums worth" talk before and it was largely garbage that we get puked on with at shows now. Probably won't be worth buying....again.
    I wouldn't say it is garbage, how many songs does this band have that are not on albums? Way more than enough for a couple albums worth.
    Old 10-02-2015, 06:31 AM   #113
    BotheLaneFan
    I AM the FBI

Shows Seen: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Dave isn't the only one making money from touring. A lot of it is the crew. Live Nation controls a lot of big venues, venues DMB can't play if they're not going through them. It's a lot more than just "pay off Live Nation and blargh. Flargon and Dingle! FLARGON AND WHAT?!"

The plot is always moving forward.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    So is a glacier.
    BotheLaneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-02-2015, 06:48 AM   #114
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Not to turn this into a Rolling Stone cover debate, but people made that cover of the Boston Bomber into a WAY bigger deal than it needed to be. That's society these days though. Jump to an immediate conclusion about a picture on a magazine before realizing what the point was. Everyone has to be offended by something so they have something to post about on Facebook...anyway...

At this point I don't imagine DMB is really gaining much headway with newer fans. I think they'll always have younger fans mixed in with the older crowd of fans that have been around for many years. In a sense I think they'll be a Jimmy Buffet type act (if they stick around for a while longer - personally I don't think they have much left in them), meaning they'll always be a summer concert staple year in and year out. I have never been a Buffet fan, but I did go to a show right out of high school because it was one of the "cool things to do" in the summer. I see DMB continuing on like that. However, the lots have been getting a lot more chilled out over the past couple years. I went to Burgettstown and Blossom this year and it certainly isn't 2003 anymore.

It's their band and they can do what they want, but I think it's a shame they don't cater towards their more die hard fans that have been around for a while. Why not show some appreciation to the fans that have stuck beside you since the early days? Release fun little EPs with songs we want to hear recorded, play older songs that you're hardcore fans want to hear at shows. Instead they take 4-5 years between albums, play sets that a large group of hardcore fans find laughable and seemingly don't care what the fans have to say, and bring out guests like the Lovely Ladies which are 3 guests that are widely disliked. However I suppose the folks on Ants are a small population. I did meet a few people at the Burgettstown show that wanted to see the Lovely Ladies.

I'll always be a fan, and I will almost always find enjoyment in what the band does, because in the end - it's just music. But I'll admit it would be cool to see a little more interest from the band in what their fans want. I think the band may be closer to an end than some may want to believe, which may not be a terrible thing. I know people like to react to statements like that with sarcasm and things like "this band is f*cked", but they've been at it for 25 years and they're older guys with families and seemingly little motivation to push the envelope anymore. Why just play just to play? Carter just had a kid around 2001 and is pushing 60, Dave has young kids and is almost 50 and will probably always play music in some form anyway, Stefan has done nothing in his life other than be a part of DMB - so I imagine he could be getting antsy to try something new, Rashawn and Jeff could probably go either way on the subject, I'm sure Tim wouldn't mind getting back to whatever planet he is from and Boyd has been drifting away through Narnia with Mr. Tumnus for the past few years. That being said, I don't think it's crazy to think the end could be closer than some may think. Maybe that would be best. Lots of fans have found this band's albums to be rather lackluster since 2001 and lately find the live show (which is what the band is really known for) to be boring and uninspired. Maybe it's time to hang it up for a while and just live through the memories of some great music.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-02-2015, 06:55 AM   #115
    twostepr41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBstandUP1984 View Post
    I wouldn't say it is garbage, how many songs does this band have that are not on albums? Way more than enough for a couple albums worth.
    Exactly. And since Everyday what has come out on albums from that pile of songs? Largely....garbage.
    Old 10-02-2015, 06:57 AM   #116
    twostepr41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Because he's a typical over-class liberal. Likes to talk about how we ought to all give til it hurts bc he has so much money he can throw it at a "problem" and feel like he just sacrificed a ton. Its really self-serving blathering.
    Old 10-02-2015, 07:00 AM   #117
    DMBstandUP1984
    Seemingly Ranch

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Because he's a typical over-class liberal. Likes to talk about how we ought to all give til it hurts bc he has so much money he can throw it at a "problem" and feel like he just sacrificed a ton. Its really self-serving blathering.
    I mean, Dave Matthews Band isn't a non-profit organzation, so I don't really have much of a gripe with their ticket prices, like I said compared to most they are still on the less expensive side.

But if he didn't just "throw money at a problem" which I'm not sure why someone would give him shit for donating, but if he didn't it would be "he has millions and doesn't give anything to chairty!"
    Old 10-02-2015, 07:01 AM   #118
    DMBstandUP1984
    Seemingly Ranch

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Exactly. And since Everyday what has come out on albums from that pile of songs? Largely....garbage.
    Yea I agree for the most part. Garbage might be strong of a word, but he or they clearly passed over much better songs that have been played lived or "leaked" over the last 10 years when it comes down to what gets released on an album
    Old 10-02-2015, 07:03 AM   #119
    BotheLaneFan
    I AM the FBI

Shows Seen: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBstandUP1984 View Post
    Yea I agree for the most part. Garbage might be strong of a word, but he or they clearly passed over much better songs that have been played lived or "leaked" over the last 10 years when it comes down to what gets released on an album
    It's also very possible that those songs just end up not working on an album. Good Good Time, Sweet Up and Down, Shotgun, etc I can see all not working in a studio setting.

The plot is always moving forward.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    So is a glacier.
    BotheLaneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-02-2015, 07:20 AM   #120
    DMBstandUP1984
    Seemingly Ranch

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BotheBradyFan View Post
    It's also very possible that those songs just end up not working on an album. Good Good Time, Sweet Up and Down, Shotgun, etc I can see all not working in a studio setting.
    true, but is that because we got so used to them in a live setting?