Weightlifting - Page 15 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 01-27-2011, 11:10 AM   #421
Styx Cover Band
A living tribute to:

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Weightlifting

I thought I posted this here, but I guess I posted it in the dating is miserable thread. After I move in a few weeks I am going to try IF dieting like at leangains.com. Has anyone done any IF dieting? How was it?
Styx Cover Band is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-27-2011, 11:14 AM   #422
    boarderx5423
    First Tiger

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Thanks jpevear!

When it comes to the gym itself, I have a good idea of what equipment I should be using based on what I want to work on, but I've always been unsure about trying to maximize the strength without adding the muscle mass. Same goes with supplements. I don't take them and never have, mostly because I have zero idea what to be looking for.

Last edited by boarderx5423; 01-27-2011 at 11:17 AM.
    boarderx5423 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-27-2011, 11:15 AM   #423
    jpevear

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Styx Cover Band View Post
    I thought I posted this here, but I guess I posted it in the dating is miserable thread. After I move in a few weeks I am going to try IF dieting like at leangains.com. Has anyone done any IF dieting? How was it?
    I'm not sure what IF dieting is, but I take a very simple approach when dieting.

Burn more energy (calories) than I ingest. You can technically eat twinkies all day long and lose weight as long as you intake less than your burn.
    Old 01-27-2011, 11:22 AM   #424
    jpevear

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by boarderx5423 View Post
    Thanks jpeaver!

When it comes to the gym itself, I have a good idea of what equipment I should be using based on what I want to work on, but I've always been unsure about trying to maximize the strength without adding the muscle mass. Same goes with supplements. I don't take them and never have, mostly because I have zero idea what to be looking for.
    No problem.

Why don't you want to add muscle? Are you currently overweight now and want to shed some fat? Or do you not have a desire to build muscle for the sake of being called a meathead?

I've been called a meathead on these boards - but if you saw me or my body, I'm far from it. I got the pictures to prove it!
    Old 01-27-2011, 11:22 AM   #425
    Crush086
    Eyes Wide Open

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jspampin View Post
    Yeah, and I have to add rest. I find I recover so much better when I get at least 8 hours of sleep a night (which usually doesn't happen).

I've read the same about the 1 g of protein per lb of body weight. It is difficult to do consistently so I probably am not getting the full benefit of each workout. I guess I probably need to cave and work a protein supplement into my diet.

I'll have to back read a bit I guess, but any recommendations for a reasonably priced, all purpose protein powder are much appreciated.
    I've heard to aim for 1g per lb. of lean mass, not total weight. That's always what I aim for, and it seems to work fine. But I don't imagine doing 1g per lb. would hurt. I'd probably say it's just harder to get the extra 30 or whatever grams (and subsequent calories) into your diet. But then again, I'm short and probably don't weigh nowhere near as much as some of you taller folks, so getting the protein daily is rarely a problem.

Optimum Nutrition makes nicely priced protein powders for pretty much anything. Their Gold Standard would probably suit you good. That or Gaspari Nutrition's Myofusion line.
    Quote:
    I'm in the same boat, just trying to finish off that lower stomach. Does green tea work better than black tea for suppressing the appetite? I ask because I usually have one or two mugs a day when I start to get hungry and it seems to work, but would consider switching to green if it has a better affect.

Also, general question: with the supplement talk, I'm trying to maximize strength while keeping muscle mass at a minimum (lean muscle strength?). Is there a certain type of supplement I should or could be taking to help with this? And is there a type of lifting I should be doing to help (lighter weights and more reps versus heavier weights and fewer reps, something else altogether)? I've been doing standard weights, about 8-10 reps, and mixing in some cardio as well. Just trying to maximize my workout.
    Not sure about the supps. Most I've seen (past the protein, BCAAs, creatine and typical supps) either advertise muscle growth or fat loss.

As far as workouts go I've always been told that lower reps promote muscle growth, so if you're not aiming to do that you could shoot for 12-15 or so. I'm not 100% sure on that though so don't quote for truth on it.
    Old 01-27-2011, 11:23 AM   #426
    Styx Cover Band
    A living tribute to:

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpevear View Post
    I'm not sure what IF dieting is, but I take a very simple approach when dieting.

Burn more energy (calories) than I ingest. You can technically eat twinkies all day long and lose weight as long as you intake less than your burn.
    IF dieting is intermittent fasting. The leangains IF dieting is fasting for 16 hours a day and then eating all your regular meals in an 8 hour period. Some guy on bodybuilding.com just posted pics of his before and after for 7 months on this and he is absolutely shredded
    Old 01-27-2011, 11:25 AM   #427
    jpevear

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crush086 View Post
    I've heard to aim for 1g per lb. of lean mass, not total weight. That's always what I aim for, and it seems to work fine. But I don't imagine doing 1g per lb. would hurt. I'd probably say it's just harder to get the extra 30 or whatever grams (and subsequent calories) into your diet. But then again, I'm short and probably don't weigh nowhere near as much as some of you taller folks, so getting the protein daily is rarely a problem.

Optimum Nutrition makes nicely priced protein powders for pretty much anything. Their Gold Standard would probably suit you good. That or Gaspari Nutrition's Myofusion line.

Not sure about the supps. Most I've seen (past the protein, BCAAs, creatine and typical supps) either advertise muscle growth or fat loss.

As far as workouts go I've always been told that lower reps promote muscle growth, so if you're not aiming to do that you could shoot for 12-15 or so. I'm not 100% sure on that though so don't quote for truth on it.
    It varies from expert to expert - but the general consensus normally includes the number 15 -whether it's 10-15 reps, 12-15 reps, or 15-20 reps. I personally go with the latter.
    Old 01-27-2011, 11:28 AM   #428
    jpevear

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    IF dieting is intermittent fasting. The leangains IF dieting is fasting for 16 hours a day and then eating all your regular meals in an 8 hour period. Some guy on bodybuilding.com just posted pics of his before and after for 7 months on this and he is absolutely shredded
    Fuck that. That is defintely not for me.

What about the feeding the metabolism theory? From what I've read, from several sources, eating every 2 hours or so helps facilitate the speed of your metabolism - hence lose more weight.
    Old 01-27-2011, 11:42 AM   #429
    Styx Cover Band
    A living tribute to:

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Fuck that. That is defintely not for me.

What about the feeding the metabolism theory? From what I've read, from several sources, eating every 2 hours or so helps facilitate the speed of your metabolism - hence lose more weight.
    This guy debunks that theory and has the data to support his claim too. It is a different approach to dieting, but I'll try it out. All of the testimonials for people that really adhered to it are amazing
    Old 01-27-2011, 11:42 AM   #430
    boarderx5423
    First Tiger

Shows Seen: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    No problem.

Why don't you want to add muscle? Are you currently overweight now and want to shed some fat? Or do you not have a desire to build muscle for the sake of being called a meathead?

I've been called a meathead on these boards - but if you saw me or my body, I'm far from it. I got the pictures to prove it!
    I'm normal weight for my height (at least according to BMI of 21.1), and could care less if someone calls me a meathead or not.

I play ultimate frisbee at a competitive level (yes its a real sport, yes you can play it at a competitive level, I can show you a video or two if you want a better idea), and based on the physical demands of the sport, I think light and strong is extremely important. I think the ideal is somewhere between a soccer player and a cornerback. The speed and agility is extremely important, but I don't need to worry about battling with or tackling wide receivers. It is, at least in theory, a non-contact sport.
    Old 01-27-2011, 11:53 AM   #431
    jpevear

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'm normal weight for my height (at least according to BMI of 21.1), and could care less if someone calls me a meathead or not.

I play ultimate frisbee at a competitive level (yes its a real sport, yes you can play it at a competitive level, I can show you a video or two if you want a better idea), and based on the physical demands of the sport, I think light and strong is extremely important. I think the ideal is somewhere between a soccer player and a cornerback. The speed and agility is extremely important, but I don't need to worry about battling with or tackling wide receivers. It is, at least in theory, a non-contact sport.

Cool! There are tons of articles out there for "strength training" - the frustrating thing is that they all don't come to the same conclusion but all seem to stay within the ballpark of thought and common sense.
    Old 01-27-2011, 11:54 AM   #432
    jpevear

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    This guy debunks that theory and has the data to support his claim too. It is a different approach to dieting, but I'll try it out. All of the testimonials for people that really adhered to it are amazing
    I'll keep doing what I'm doing as it seems to work for me...

Let us know how it goes.
    Old 01-27-2011, 12:25 PM   #433
    Jimi Thing 10

Shows Seen: 22

My Tour Central Stats

I hate being sick. This was the second time in two weeks I've gotten in the gym. I got my deadlifts in and had to leave.
    Jimi Thing 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-27-2011, 12:26 PM   #434
    fridge112887
    William Perry

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    BCAA's aside, it's a fairly cheap product to hydrate with while working out. Much cheaper than gatorade/powerade/etc, and there's trace amounts of sugars in it. 2 to 3 scoops a day (per 32oz water) will last you a good while - and like I mentioned earlier, it tastes pretty damn good too.
    I just purchase the powdered Gatorade tub. Lasts me a while. It's a bit watered down, but I really don't mind the taste. Plus, it's a few extra carbs throughout my workout. I've seen people use 3 scoops per workout and then a few more throughout the day if they choose. While the $19 or whatever price isn't bad at all, I feel as though tub would last me a week, maybe two. Still, as I said before, I wouldn't be opposed to trying it once, but it's just not high on my list of needs.

Quote:
    I've tried a couple. Xtend, Modern BCAA, Purple Intrain and I'm going to try Purple Wraath when I get paid. I always figure the extra BCAAs can't hurt, and they taste better than water.
    If you go to Controlled Labs site, you can find a 'samples' section in the forum. I've contacted them twice and received samples of White Flood, Intrain, and Green Mag. I ended up purchasing the White Flood due to the samples. I wasn't crazy about the Intrain flavor, but I'm not really a stickler when it comes to taste. If I see results, I don't care if I'm drinking liquid dog shit (ok, I do in that case). I use L-arginine.....using two tablespoons tastes like I'm drinking fish.

Quote:
    Supplements & diet are, in my opinion, are just as important as the physical act of weightlifting, when trying to achieve your maximum result - which is why I think there is so much talk about them.

For example, the experts say, when engaged in a weight lifting program, you should ingest at least 1 gram of protein per lb of body weight / day. For me that's impossible to do without taking a protein shake (or two) per day. So, inevitably, like you said, people are going to inquire about "what's the best product" - whether it be a protein powder that helps one receive their suggested protein requirements, or a thermogenic that provides the energy and focus required for a good weightlifting session.

As for protein and its benefits - for gaining lean muscle weight, yes, I've noticed a difference when taking versus not taking protein.
    I agree. Without a healthy diet, whatever work you do is almost pointless. I don't care if you can deadlift a small car. If your diet is off, your gains will be minimal. Sleep also is a big factor. Nutrition, the workout itself, and sleep all go hand in hand. Need one for the others to really benefit.

Last edited by fridge112887; 01-27-2011 at 12:30 PM.
    fridge112887 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-27-2011, 12:42 PM   #435
    Crush086
    Eyes Wide Open

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fridge112887 View Post
    If you go to Controlled Labs site, you can find a 'samples' section in the forum. I've contacted them twice and received samples of White Flood, Intrain, and Green Mag. I ended up purchasing the White Flood due to the samples. I wasn't crazy about the Intrain flavor, but I'm not really a stickler when it comes to taste. If I see results, I don't care if I'm drinking liquid dog shit (ok, I do in that case). I use L-arginine.....using two tablespoons tastes like I'm drinking fish.
    I dig Controlled Labs. When I'm cycling off the creatine I use White Flood for my preworkout. Sometimes when I'm using creatine I'll mix it with the Green Mag (tastes awesome if you've never had it).

The only beef I have with the Intrain is the mixibility of it. Even in 24oz. of water it's hard to get it totally mixed. Taste isn't a huge problem. Besides, if you've ever tasted USPLabs Modern BCAA, you'll really understand what watered down means. lol

But I'm all for Intra stuff. I usually like to try different companies and see which ones taste good/bad and all that. Price is negligible to me so if it works I'll pay for it.
    Old 01-27-2011, 12:46 PM   #436
    Jimi Thing 10

Shows Seen: 22

My Tour Central Stats

I just take ON bcaa caps. I always feel like I'm being judged if I bring a shaker bottle into the gym lol.
    Jimi Thing 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-27-2011, 12:57 PM   #437
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I dig Controlled Labs. When I'm cycling off the creatine I use White Flood for my preworkout. Sometimes when I'm using creatine I'll mix it with the Green Mag (tastes awesome if you've never had it).

The only beef I have with the Intrain is the mixibility of it. Even in 24oz. of water it's hard to get it totally mixed. Taste isn't a huge problem. Besides, if you've ever tasted USPLabs Modern BCAA, you'll really understand what watered down means. lol

But I'm all for Intra stuff. I usually like to try different companies and see which ones taste good/bad and all that. Price is negligible to me so if it works I'll pay for it.
    I enjoyed the taste of Green Mag. When it comes to creatine though, I just stick with plain mono. Back in the day when all the crazy was about BSN, I purchased some CellMass. I could definitely notice strength gains, but there weren't any size improvements. Now, BSN is knocked hardcore, almost to the degree of MuscleTech.
    Old 01-27-2011, 12:58 PM   #438
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Could you possibly post this link? I'm curious now
    Old 01-27-2011, 02:24 PM   #439
    seekupchuck

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Any P90X graduates up in this mofo?

I completed it last year and am in week 2 now after being completely dormant since last completing it 7 months ago...

It is a fantastic program if you honestly do it.
    Old 01-27-2011, 02:42 PM   #440
    Styx Cover Band
    A living tribute to:

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Could you possibly post this link? I'm curious now
    Sure, leangains.com is the site, it has a lot of good info there, but is kind of spread out. This is the direct link to the fasting guide.

Here is the thread from the guy at leangains.com on the bodybuilding.com forum

Here is a testimonial about leangains from a guy on bodybuilding.com, the guy got crazy shredded.
    Old 01-27-2011, 03:10 PM   #441
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Sure, leangains.com is the site, it has a lot of good info there, but is kind of spread out. This is the direct link to the fasting guide.

Here is the thread from the guy at leangains.com on the bodybuilding.com forum

Here is a testimonial about leangains from a guy on bodybuilding.com, the guy got crazy shredded.
    Interesting stuff. So he wakes up, doesn't eat till later on after his workout (around 4-5)? So he's fasting prior to his workout? I guess I could give it a shot during the summer when I'm able to eat large meals, but going that long without food would drain me. I'd also be afraid I'd end up losing muscle mass during that fast.

EDIT: thanks for posting that. Kudos to you
    Old 01-27-2011, 03:27 PM   #442
    Styx Cover Band
    A living tribute to:

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Interesting stuff. So he wakes up, doesn't eat till later on after his workout (around 4-5)? So he's fasting prior to his workout? I guess I could give it a shot during the summer when I'm able to eat large meals, but going that long without food would drain me. I'd also be afraid I'd end up losing muscle mass during that fast.

EDIT: thanks for posting that. Kudos to you
    Pretty much. There are 3 different ways to do it depending on your schedule. This guy would wake up 6am and train fasted at say 7am then not eat until noon. Between noon and 8pm he would eat three meals then start fasting again at 8pm.

Mine would be different because I work 9-5 and I go to the gym later at night. So I would start fasting at Midnight and then fast until 4pm. I'd have essentially breakfast at 4pm, lunch at 7pm and then dinner when I get home from the gym at 10:30pm. From the thread for this on bodybuilding.com it seems like it takes peoples bodies a week or two to get used to, but the results seem great

Edit: Just to clarify during the fasting stage you are supposed to intake 0 calories so you can pretty much only drink water (he recommends with BCAA) and/or straight black coffee

Last edited by Styx Cover Band; 01-27-2011 at 03:29 PM.
    Old 01-27-2011, 03:55 PM   #443
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

Just the thought of not eating scares me, but results like that would be fantastic. Looks like I'll be stocking up on my BCAA come summertime after all. Off to the gym for now (favorite part of the day)
    Old 01-27-2011, 03:56 PM   #444
    jpevear

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Pretty much. There are 3 different ways to do it depending on your schedule. This guy would wake up 6am and train fasted at say 7am then not eat until noon. Between noon and 8pm he would eat three meals then start fasting again at 8pm.

Mine would be different because I work 9-5 and I go to the gym later at night. So I would start fasting at Midnight and then fast until 4pm. I'd have essentially breakfast at 4pm, lunch at 7pm and then dinner when I get home from the gym at 10:30pm. From the thread for this on bodybuilding.com it seems like it takes peoples bodies a week or two to get used to, but the results seem great

Edit: Just to clarify during the fasting stage you are supposed to intake 0 calories so you can pretty much only drink water (he recommends with BCAA) and/or straight black coffee

He said you should have 80% of your caloric intake post workout. With only eating one meal after your workout, that's gonna be one big fucking dinner.

Mine would be:

Wake up @ 5:30 AM

Drink water with BCAA / or Coffee/ or Tea until first meal

Have first meal of day @ 12:00 PM

Have pre-workout shake around 3:00 / 3:30 PM

Workout at 4:00 / 4:30 PM

Eat large dinner at 6:00 / 6:30 PM

Eat again at 8:00 PM

Fast until noon the next day.

Repeat..

The question I have is, what is caloric intake supposed to be? Is it the recommended intake of 2,000 + calories or is it supposed to be less considering it is a "diet"? I imagine the word diet with the respect to this regimen refers to lifestyle, or general eating habits, not the way most Americans think of the word (ie. South Beach, Atkins, Weight Watchers).

He also says you can drink Diet Soda's (thank God) I'm a Diet Coke freak.

And I'll be stocking up on nicotine gum to curb my appetite the first couple weeks until I get used to the program.

I'm going to start on Feb. 1 and give it two months and see how it works out.

Thanks to whomever brought this to our attention.

Last edited by jpevear; 01-27-2011 at 03:58 PM.
    jpevear is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-27-2011, 04:03 PM   #445
    jpevear

My Tour Central Stats

Let me amend that. I'll replace a post workout shake with my 8:00 pm meal and push my big dinner back to 7:00 or 7:30 PM
    Old 01-27-2011, 05:43 PM   #446
    Styx Cover Band
    A living tribute to:

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    He said you should have 80% of your caloric intake post workout. With only eating one meal after your workout, that's gonna be one big fucking dinner.
    I think with the 2 prework meal plan the last meal is less than 80%, not exactly sure how much though

Quote:
    The question I have is, what is caloric intake supposed to be? Is it the recommended intake of 2,000 + calories or is it supposed to be less considering it is a "diet"? I imagine the word diet with the respect to this regimen refers to lifestyle, or general eating habits, not the way most Americans think of the word (ie. South Beach, Atkins, Weight Watchers).
    I agree I think that is exactly why it is called a diet because it is a change. When you start I think you are supposed to be either cutting or bulking on the diet so that will dictate your caloric intake. If you are doing a cut I'd assume start at 300 calories under your maintenance

Edit: alright i"m off to the gym for some cardio
    Old 01-28-2011, 07:13 AM   #447
    Styx Cover Band
    A living tribute to:

My Tour Central Stats

Leangains must be getting popular, a guy on reddit just created a subreddit for it leangains on reddit
    Old 01-28-2011, 07:34 AM   #448
    jpevear

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I think with the 2 prework meal plan the last meal is less than 80%, not exactly sure how much though

I agree I think that is exactly why it is called a diet because it is a change. When you start I think you are supposed to be either cutting or bulking on the diet so that will dictate your caloric intake. If you are doing a cut I'd assume start at 300 calories under your maintenance

Edit: alright i"m off to the gym for some cardio

I usually shoot for a caloric deficit of 500 calories when dieting. BUT, I don't necessarily want to lose any more weight, just the lower band of fat on my stomach.

Hmmm... what to do.

My fucking gym is a mess. I took over two weeks off from lifting because I was in the Caribbean for a week and when I got back and I had to head up north for a funeral. I went the past two days and I figured most of the crowd would have thinned out from all the new resolutioners who signed up earlier this month... Nope.

Gym is worse than ever. I went gym shopping this morning but no one can beat Planet Fitness' monthly rate (which is also why they're so damn packed in the evenings).
    Old 01-28-2011, 07:42 AM   #449
    Styx Cover Band
    A living tribute to:

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I usually shoot for a caloric deficit of 500 calories when dieting. BUT, I don't necessarily want to lose any more weight, just the lower band of fat on my stomach.

Hmmm... what to do.

My fucking gym is a mess. I took over two weeks off from lifting because I was in the Caribbean for a week and when I got back and I had to head up north for a funeral. I went the past two days and I figured most of the crowd would have thinned out from all the new resolutioners who signed up earlier this month... Nope.

Gym is worse than ever. I went gym shopping this morning but no one can beat Planet Fitness' monthly rate (which is also why they're so damn packed in the evenings).
    Ah, gotcha. You should be good at standard calorie maintenance then. The guy who started the leangains subreddit said he has already lost 2% BF after doing it for only a few weeks, he did lose some weight during that time though I didn't see if he was eating at a deficit or not.
    Old 01-28-2011, 07:50 AM   #450
    rconverse

Shows Seen: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Hmmm... what to do.

My gym is the same. It should be a lot less crowded tonight. Weekends are also pretty empty, which helps.
    rconverse is offline   Reply With Quote