The Best National Park - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 05-23-2017, 03:06 PM   #31
laura22

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The Best National Park

here's my ranking of the ones i've been to

tetons!!!! by far
zion
yosemite
red woods
yellowstone
badlands
olympic
rocky mountain
crater lake
acadia
north cascades.. it's last but still sick, i was just there briefly for a short hike

Last edited by laura22; 05-23-2017 at 03:08 PM.
laura22 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-23-2017, 03:07 PM   #32
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

crater lake is fucking cool
    Old 12-23-2019, 07:26 AM   #33
    SmoothG

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

White Sands National Monument in New Mexico just became White Sands National Park making it the 62nd national park. Never been but looks beautiful.
    SmoothG is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-23-2019, 07:32 AM   #34
    drop2d

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Denali.

Basically untouched and absolutely breathtaking to see.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drakan View Post
    Cuomo for president.
    drop2d is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-23-2019, 04:31 PM   #35
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SmoothG View Post
    White Sands National Monument in New Mexico just became White Sands National Park making it the 62nd national park. Never been but looks beautiful.
    cool. did an overnight camping trip there a few years ago- highly recommend doing this for anyone that visits. the sunset with the sand is surreal
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg IMG_9499.jpg (68.9 KB, 31 views)
    Old 12-23-2019, 05:03 PM   #36
    smudge1
    Unreal

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by laura22 View Post
    cool. did an overnight camping trip there a few years ago- highly recommend doing this for anyone that visits. the sunset with the sand is surreal
    Nice.........
    At the time I didn't think I did.
    I believe now that I do, however... but I don't care.
    smudge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-23-2019, 05:04 PM   #37
    smudge1
    Unreal

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

The Painted Desert.
    At the time I didn't think I did.
    I believe now that I do, however... but I don't care.
    smudge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-23-2019, 05:05 PM   #38
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Any places in NH you recommend checking out?
    coldengrey12 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-24-2019, 07:37 AM   #39
    laura22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smudge1 View Post
    The Painted Desert.
    yup. some people go dune sledding
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coldengrey12 View Post
    Any places in NH you recommend checking out?
    yeah! what time of year?

the white mountains are great. if you get the timing right in october, you can see some awesome foliage. eitherway though, it's a great place to visit in the late spring/summer/fall.

different things to do based on how much hiking vs short walks/driving you want to do. the kangamangus highway (connects the two mountain towns of Lincoln and North Conway) is very scenic, and has pull offs to falls that are easy walking distance with a parking lot.

franconia notch is a great place to spend a day. many sites that are easy accessible with short walks to pretty overlooks, falls, cascades

mt. washington is the highest peak in the northeast. if you don't want to hike up (probably a 10 hr hike depending on what shape you're in as well as the weather), there's the option to drive up or take the cog railway. awesome views.

diane's bath (in north conway, which is a cool little mountain town) is a great place to go on a hot summer day. it's an easy hike to water cascades and a swimming hole

and if you're more interested in a half-day or full-day hike, i have tons of recommendations, too. the terrains up there are tough- very steep and rocky. there's a saying, "if you can hike the whites, you can hike anywhere".

Last edited by laura22; 12-24-2019 at 07:40 AM.
    Old 12-24-2019, 11:09 AM   #40
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    yeah! what time of year?

the white mountains are great. if you get the timing right in october, you can see some awesome foliage. eitherway though, it's a great place to visit in the late spring/summer/fall.

different things to do based on how much hiking vs short walks/driving you want to do. the kangamangus highway (connects the two mountain towns of Lincoln and North Conway) is very scenic, and has pull offs to falls that are easy walking distance with a parking lot.

franconia notch is a great place to spend a day. many sites that are easy accessible with short walks to pretty overlooks, falls, cascades

mt. washington is the highest peak in the northeast. if you don't want to hike up (probably a 10 hr hike depending on what shape you're in as well as the weather), there's the option to drive up or take the cog railway. awesome views.

diane's bath (in north conway, which is a cool little mountain town) is a great place to go on a hot summer day. it's an easy hike to water cascades and a swimming hole

and if you're more interested in a half-day or full-day hike, i have tons of recommendations, too. the terrains up there are tough- very steep and rocky. there's a saying, "if you can hike the whites, you can hike anywhere".
    Wow! Thanks so much for all the suggestions!

I tend to come in the wintertime to see my mom for the holidays. I'm there now, actually. She moved to SW Maine a few years ago.

On this trip, I hit a few spots on the Maine side as well as Adams Point near Durham.
    coldengrey12 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-17-2022, 01:17 PM   #41
    SmoothG

My Tour Central Stats

In the past year I've done two road trips and hit a few national parks along the way. I drove Scottsdale, AZ to Whitefish, MT and then back a different way hitting national parks and state parks along the way.

AZ - MT: through Sedona, Flagstaff, Grand Canyon, horseshoe bend, some slot canyons, past Zion, Bryce canyon, up through Utah, Idaho, Tetons, Yellowstone, Big sky, Bozeman and then Whitefish.

MT - AZ: Glacier, Whitefish, Coeur d'Alene, Mount Rainier, Astoria, Oregon coast down to Coos Bay, Crater lake, lake Tahoe, Yosemite, down to southern CA, through Palm springs and back to Scottsdale.

National Parks rankings:
    Tetons
    Glacier
    Yosemite
    Grand Canyon

Ranier
    Crater lake
    Bryce

Yellowstone

Overall best of:
    Glacier, Tetons, Yosemite, Ranier, Crater lake, Bryce
    All of the surrounding national forests (Lolo, wanachee, etc.)
    Western Montana
    Western Washington
    Oregon coast and western OR in general
    Lake Tahoe
    Northern CA in general
    Southern CA rolling hills
    Northern Arizona and southern Utah are spectacular.

Lowlights:
    Really underwhelmed by Yellowstone, very meh compared to surrounding areas. Disappointing.
    Eastern Washington. And eastern Oregon and Montana while we're at it. Bland and boring.
    Central California. The I-10 from Palm springs to Phoenix is gross.
    Horseshoe bend was also underwhelming.

Last edited by SmoothG; 10-17-2022 at 01:21 PM.
    Old 10-17-2022, 03:32 PM   #42
    Timebomb07

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Sounds like an awesome couple of trips. That's a hell of a list.

My list isn't nearly that exhaustive, but for National Parks, I'd probably go:

1) Yosemite, easily. Just ended up being too perfect. It was mid-March, just prior to COVID shutting the world down. Multiple 60 degree days and great hikes and then a full on Sierra snowstorm that dropped 2' of snow.
    2) Zion. Definitely touristy, but the hiking there was amazing. Southern Utah is just wild in general.
    3) Canyonlands. It's Mars. Camped in the middle of nowhere one night at Hamburger Rock and the stillness was incredible.
    4) Grand Canyon
    5) Acadia
    6) Joshua Tree

Not a park, but driving through Tonto National Forest in AZ on our way back to Connecticut last summer was incredible. We're doing the cross country trip again for Christmas, but doing it in 3 days means there's no time to hit any parks, or deviate away from the fastest route which is a bummer.
    Timebomb07 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-17-2022, 05:00 PM   #43
    SmoothG

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timebomb07 View Post
    Sounds like an awesome couple of trips. That's a hell of a list.

My list isn't nearly that exhaustive, but for National Parks, I'd probably go:

1) Yosemite, easily. Just ended up being too perfect. It was mid-March, just prior to COVID shutting the world down. Multiple 60 degree days and great hikes and then a full on Sierra snowstorm that dropped 2' of snow.
    2) Zion. Definitely touristy, but the hiking there was amazing. Southern Utah is just wild in general.
    3) Canyonlands. It's Mars. Camped in the middle of nowhere one night at Hamburger Rock and the stillness was incredible.
    4) Grand Canyon
    5) Acadia
    6) Joshua Tree

Not a park, but driving through Tonto National Forest in AZ on our way back to Connecticut last summer was incredible. We're doing the cross country trip again for Christmas, but doing it in 3 days means there's no time to hit any parks, or deviate away from the fastest route which is a bummer.
    Tonto national forest is beautiful. Also, shout-out to Slide Rock State Park close to Sedona. Arizona is amazing other than Phoenix.

Yosemite exceeded my expectations, just beautiful. Joshua tree is nice but didn't blow me away. I'm a little out off by the crowds at Zion but I guess I'd like to go someday, maybe offseason. (Zion was the 2nd most visited national park in 2021 behind the great smokies which is always #1 by a huge margin). Never been to Acadia but it's on my list.

Where's your cross country trip taking you? I tried looking for the road trip thread but I suck at searching.
    Old 10-17-2022, 08:32 PM   #44
    snake911

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Yosemite is my all time fav, especially the Tuolumne Meadows area. I had a teaching gig for while going there twice a year for a week at a time to teach the park EMT's. Unpaid, but came with free lodging. Always in the off season, so basically had the place to myself.
    snake911 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-17-2022, 09:47 PM   #45
    Timebomb07

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SmoothG View Post
    Tonto national forest is beautiful. Also, shout-out to Slide Rock State Park close to Sedona. Arizona is amazing other than Phoenix.

Yosemite exceeded my expectations, just beautiful. Joshua tree is nice but didn't blow me away. I'm a little out off by the crowds at Zion but I guess I'd like to go someday, maybe offseason. (Zion was the 2nd most visited national park in 2021 behind the great smokies which is always #1 by a huge margin). Never been to Acadia but it's on my list.

Where's your cross country trip taking you? I tried looking for the road trip thread but I suck at searching.
    We tried to do Slide Rock SP when we were in Sedona but parking was nuts so we ended up skipping it. Sedona is so awesome though.

We're likely gonna follow the same route we took last year which keeps us south through AZ, NM, TX & OK before cutting up towards St Louis. We made it to Santa Rosa, NM from San Diego day 1, then St Louis day 2 and finally CT late evening day 3. It's a lot.

Wasn't gonna board our dogs and we've missed the last two Christmas' so here's to another week of driving for a week's stay.
    Old 10-18-2022, 05:33 AM   #46
    Gene Parmesan

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

1. Grand Canyon
    2. Zion
    3. Rocky Mountain
    4. Dry Tortugas
    5. Great Smoky Mountains
    6. Yellowstone
    7. Bryce Canyon
    8. Glacier
    9. Joshua Tree
    10. Channel Islands
    11. White Sands
    12. Badlands
    13. Big Bend
    14. Crater Lake
    15. Redwood
    16. Sequoia
    17. Great Sand Dunes
    18. Everglades
    19. Hot Springs

Hoping to add Arches and Canyonlands next year
    Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-18-2022, 06:43 AM   #47
    SmoothG

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by snake911 View Post
    Yosemite is my all time fav, especially the Tuolumne Meadows area. I had a teaching gig for while going there twice a year for a week at a time to teach the park EMT's. Unpaid, but came with free lodging. Always in the off season, so basically had the place to myself.
    Sounds like a sweet gig. I'd love to go back and do more hiking.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timebomb07 View Post
    We tried to do Slide Rock SP when we were in Sedona but parking was nuts so we ended up skipping it. Sedona is so awesome though.

We're likely gonna follow the same route we took last year which keeps us south through AZ, NM, TX & OK before cutting up towards St Louis. We made it to Santa Rosa, NM from San Diego day 1, then St Louis day 2 and finally CT late evening day 3. It's a lot.

Wasn't gonna board our dogs and we've missed the last two Christmas' so here's to another week of driving for a week's stay.
    That's a heck of a trip, sounds fun. Lot of driving but you'll see some beautiful country. Sedona, the city proper, is an absolute piece of shit, overpriced, tourist trap. But the nature surrounding is God's country.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
    1. Grand Canyon
    2. Zion
    3. Rocky Mountain
    4. Dry Tortugas
    5. Great Smoky Mountains
    6. Yellowstone
    7. Bryce Canyon
    8. Glacier
    9. Joshua Tree
    10. Channel Islands
    11. White Sands
    12. Badlands
    13. Big Bend
    14. Crater Lake
    15. Redwood
    16. Sequoia
    17. Great Sand Dunes
    18. Everglades
    19. Hot Springs

Hoping to add Arches and Canyonlands next year
    Quality list, jealous of some of those places. Would love to see Rocky Mountain and Great Smokies. I just don't get the Yellowstone love though. The geysers are meh. Bison are cool. 1st national park, the history and the lodge are cool. But if go in literally any direction, it is a million times more beautiful. I mean, it was beautiful and all, just very bottom of the list compared to what the mountain west and and northwest has to offer. Completely disappointed. Tetons, which are attached, blow it out of the water.
    Old 10-18-2022, 07:04 AM   #48
    Gene Parmesan

My Tour Central Stats

We saw moose too. That helps. And I'm a sucker for NP villages and lodges. We just drove by the Tetons, I was a kid and didn't have much of a say. It's definitely high on my list and when I take my son to Yellowstone, we'll definitely do the Tetons as well.
    Old 10-18-2022, 07:30 AM   #49
    SmoothG

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
    We saw moose too. That helps. And I'm a sucker for NP villages and lodges. We just drove by the Tetons, I was a kid and didn't have much of a say. It's definitely high on my list and when I take my son to Yellowstone, we'll definitely do the Tetons as well.
    Yeah, Old faithful lodge is pretty cool and started the "Parkictecture" style we see today throughout the US, opened in 1904. Of the iconic national park hotels, it was the first, El Tovar at the Grand Canyon was in 1905. And Glacier park lodge in 1912 and many glacier in 1915. Yellowstone, Glacier and the grand canyon all have similar origins in the facts that during the late 1800s, early 1900s, the westward expansion of the US and these national parks was based around a train (GC - Santa Fe, Yellowstone - Northern Pacific, Glacier - Great Northern), a national park and an iconic hotel. Yellowstone was the second national park in the world (after one in Mongolia) and the first in the US, so it's got cool history. Bison are cool, but moose are everywhere. But... everything else was such a letdown compared to everything in that part of the country. I guess I'm a little harsh, but I just had high expectations and would never go back. Glad I went to check it off, but much more beautiful places close by, imo.
    Old 10-19-2022, 04:16 PM   #50
    jmkratt
    You want heavy?

Shows Seen: 41

My Tour Central Stats

I’m actually at Zion right now. It’s been an amazing couple days of hiking and canyoneering. Hitting up Bryce tomorrow.

National Parks are awesome

Hope to hit Denali next year with the family.
    Old 10-19-2022, 05:01 PM   #51
    jmkratt
    You want heavy?

My Tour Central Stats

In terms of “best” I don’t know how to wrap my head around that question. They are all so different in their own way, which is why they are awesome. I don’t have a list like Gene’s (damn!) but I’ve been to a fair amount. Can’t really compare the Cliff dwellings at Mesa Verde to the Hawaiian Volcanoes to the Kenai Fjords, as an example, IMO.

Last edited by jmkratt; 10-19-2022 at 05:03 PM.
    jmkratt is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-19-2022, 07:52 PM   #52
    Gene Parmesan

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah, the only one I wouldn't recommend is Hot Springs. More of a museum than a National Park. Would and hope to do all the other ones on the list again.

Southern Utah is a great spot. I want to move to Cedar City. Not far from the North Rim there too.
    Old 10-21-2022, 07:19 AM   #53
    jmkratt
    You want heavy?

My Tour Central Stats

The hoodoos in Bryce were pretty amazing, like a real life Dr. Seuss world.
    Old 07-04-2023, 08:11 PM   #54
    jmkratt
    You want heavy?

My Tour Central Stats

Hit up Yellowstone this week. Pretty underwhelming. Lots of stupid people trying to get pics of wildlife up close and personal. That’s definitely a thing.
    Old 07-04-2023, 08:32 PM   #55
    Gene Parmesan

My Tour Central Stats

Hit Arches and Canyonlands a couple weeks ago. Was blown away by Arches. Early morning hike to Mesa Arch in Canyonlands is a must-do for that park.

Also went to Great Basin and was a bit underwhelmed, especially when we finished the day driving to Mammoth Lakes in the Sierra Nevadas, which make the Great Basin look like a couple hills.

Did Alcatraz, which I didn't realize was part of the park system. They do a great job moving a shit ton of people through that place. Hit Muir Woods and the Grand Canyon on the way home. Always great. Bought a park pass for the year so I may try to fit Big Bend in the next 11 months.
    Old 07-04-2023, 08:43 PM   #56
    TheLastStop123
    paper hands

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Muir Woods is so fantastic. Feels like walking back in time in that place.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FromTheMorning View Post
    Antsmarching.org: Came for the DMBc, stayed for the nDMBc.
    TheLastStop123 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-04-2023, 09:15 PM   #57
    Gene Parmesan

My Tour Central Stats

Yup, walking amongst 800 year old trees will do that.
    Old 07-04-2023, 09:37 PM   #58
    Timebomb07

My Tour Central Stats

Adding Olympic this summer. First time in WA.
    Old 07-05-2023, 06:39 PM   #59
    mthawk07
    In all kinds of weather

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Going to Yellowstone for a few days in late August and going to drive through the Tetons due to lack of time, as well.
    Old 07-07-2023, 06:04 AM   #60
    aeroshady
    Look up at the sky..

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Banff National Park is my favorite. Oddly enough, I have been to more national parks in Canada than I have in the USA
    Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
    This might be one of the single greatest solo posting performances in NHL Thread history. Well done, Greg, and congrats on the win. Was a fun game.
    aeroshady is offline   Reply With Quote