New Nintendo console in 2017 - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 06-10-2011, 03:58 AM   #91
Evans

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Re: New Nintendo console in 2012

We're fast approaching a time where technology will only be able to take us so far in terms of graphical capability and game development will have to be more experience-focused. 1080p resolution is what best suits most of our needs, something like 4K games would require a huge TV size to really see any difference. Not pointing any fingers at companies, but I do believe some game companies in the most recent generation have focused heavily on how the game looks and neglected to make sure that it plays well. Gameplay has always been the soul of a game, I still have fun playing Centipede even though it's archaic in comparison to modern games. Check out a game on Wii like Boom Blox, there's an example of a really great gameplay concept.

Look at another spectacular game, Red Dead Redemption. Graphics for that game are incredible and the gameplay is definitely pretty good. But thinking down the road, a game like that would be improved by really focusing on making super smart-AI. That's where I think game development is going to have to go, rather than focusing on games looking the best, focusing on using advanced processing capabilities to create game worlds that strive to be indistinguishable from interactions with real places. With the Wii U (hate the name, sorry), I think a system like that is giving a cookie to the pixel counters while also striving to provide a deeper game "experience". You have to hand it to Nintendo, they come up with this stuff and they make it work. The DS? I wasn't a believer at first, I bought a PSP instead. What happened in the long run? I sold my PSP and love my DS (now 3DS). They won me over on the touch screen concept, which I did not really see as useful initially. Then came Wii and motion controls. Again, I was not a believer at first, I worried (rightfully so) about the concept being gimmicky and forced. While some lazy game developers certainly did the bare minimum and reinforced that idea, some really fantastic Wii games are out there. I was sold on motion controls after seeing Miyamoto bowl at E3 a few years back. And who doesn't love Wii Sports Resort?

I think Nintendo has earned the benefit of the doubt.
I'd like to take a chance to thank you all very much for joining us this evening and I hope that you have a nice night followin' this one, don't forget to love each other, don't forget to do your best, don't forget to vote, don't forget to dafahdedofehdahdeedoedeeday!
Evans is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-10-2011, 09:27 PM   #92
    thestand
    Best Ever

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Been a lot of talk in the past 48 hours that, by request from developers, Sony is looking into possibly integrating the Vita into functioning fully as a controller for the new system. This might not necessarily be a bad thing for Nintendo, though. One, because Sony will be releasing the PS4 (or whatever) at least a year after the Wii U. But more importantly, if two systems have the same functioning controller, developers will be much more likely to develop games that utilize the touch-screen. Vita isn't set-up in the same was as the new Nintendo controller, as far as being made to receive streaming video, but the general idea is the PS4 would be built to be able to transmit to a receiver inside the Vita. Luckily, the Vita isn't shipping just yet, so they have time to tinker with the idea.

But the general idea is: if Nintendo and Sony have similar functioning controllers, developers will have an even wider market-share to sell games utilizing the touch-pad to.
    Will in time both outpace and outlive you, Hail Satan!
    thestand is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2011, 05:21 AM   #93
    Evans

My Tour Central Stats

Sony has been pretty adamant that the PS3 is a "10 year console". Is the idea that they would support the PS4 while continuing to support the PS3?
    I'd like to take a chance to thank you all very much for joining us this evening and I hope that you have a nice night followin' this one, don't forget to love each other, don't forget to do your best, don't forget to vote, don't forget to dafahdedofehdahdeedoedeeday!
    Old 06-11-2011, 05:43 AM   #94
    ProudestAnt
    Buck Nasty

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evans View Post
    Sony has been pretty adamant that the PS3 is a "10 year console". Is the idea that they would support the PS4 while continuing to support the PS3?
    Why not? They did it with the PS3 and PS2...
    ProudestAnt is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2011, 05:47 AM   #95
    Evans

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ProudestAnt View Post
    Why not? They did it with the PS3 and PS2...
    Sort of, I guess. It seemed like all you could buy on PS2 after 2006 were all the "insert sports title and year" type games. Really phoned in versions of the 2k and Madden series. For me personally, I wish Sony would stop forcing me to update my PS3 every time I turn it on. I spend more time waiting for updates to download and install and it sort of kills my desire to jump right into a game.
    Old 06-11-2011, 09:09 AM   #96
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

PS2's life-span was until last year, when production stopped. Even then, the console hit 150m units sold just this past February. Ten-year lifespan is not saying that it's the sole focus of the company. In fact, if they were to do that, it'd be suicide. So yeah, if Sony had a new console out next year, the PS3 would still have another 4 years of support.
    Old 06-11-2011, 09:48 AM   #97
    jspampin

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

I have no interest in using game consoles but like to follow the industry. I wouldn't hold your breath on either MS or Sony releasing their next console anytime soon:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20...l?tag=mncol;4n
    jspampin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2011, 04:32 PM   #98
    hmich176
    SarcMark(TM)

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evans View Post
    They have been. But I think the PS3 has essentially been a failure. With the sales placing them in last place in the console wars, to Move being a flop, and then the PS network hacking...if I were Sony, I would want to start developing the PS4.
    hmich176 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2011, 08:42 PM   #99
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jspampin View Post
    I have no interest in using game consoles but like to follow the industry. I wouldn't hold your breath on either MS or Sony releasing their next console anytime soon:

Again, both companies have begun hiring positions publicly for roles surrounding launch of a new console. That is a fact that we know. However, it does them no good to make it look like they're making a new console. Look at what their conventions just were: Microsoft was about 70% about Kinect, and Sony had a large Move segment. If it becomes apparent that there's a new console around the corner, there's no incentive to move those units for the public.

So completely unnamed sources saying 2014 does nothing to sway the large belief of the release being fall 2012-summer 2013 for the new Microsoft console, and summer 2013-summer 2014 for the next Sony console.

Put it this way: if neither of them announce a new console by August 2012, I will livestream myself eating a shoe.
    Old 06-11-2011, 08:48 PM   #100
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

Too late to edit, but just noticed that article was posted in late April. So that was literally days before it came out that both companies had publicly hired staff for the new consoles. Again, without that information, it would've totally looked like the two consoles might not hit until 2014. But yeah, it's an outdated article. But when you're talking about new consoles during the convention summer, a few days is outdated.
    Old 06-14-2011, 08:12 PM   #101
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

Shows Seen: 87

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jspampin View Post

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/117/1176197p1.html

Report - Next Xbox Debuting in 2012

Microsoft's successor to the Xbox 360 will be revealed at E3 2012 and developer Crytek is making a next-generation Timesplitters 4, according to sources speaking to Videogamer.com.

Tour 2023: Deer Creek [6/30] [7/01]
    DMBZeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-14-2011, 08:14 PM   #102
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

My Tour Central Stats

http://wii.ign.com/articles/117/1175847p1.html

Wii U Likely Hitting First Half of 2012

Nintendo is launching the Wii U in the first half of 2012, according to SEGA EVP Alan Pritchard.

Pritchard was asked by GameSpot whether or not Sonic Generations would see a release on the console. He said, "The timing just doesn't work. Generations releases this November, and the Wii U is coming out next spring/summer.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:16 PM   #103
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

My Tour Central Stats

http://wii.ign.com/articles/117/1176149p1.html

Report - Wii U 50% More Powerful than PS3?

Speculation has emerged that the Wii U is 50% more powerful than PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Industry Gamers has quoted Sterne Agee analyst Arvind Bhatia as saying, "Some of the developers we spoke to indicated to us that the console will have 50 per cent more processing power compared to the PS3 or Xbox 360. This is yet to be confirmed by Nintendo."

But this conflicts with the remarks of John Carmack, id Software's technology chief. Speaking to Gamespot, he said that "the technology level on there brings it up to parity with the other consoles."

Old 06-14-2011, 08:22 PM   #104
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBZeppelin View Post
    http://wii.ign.com/articles/117/1175847p1.html

Wii U Likely Hitting First Half of 2012

Nintendo is launching the Wii U in the first half of 2012, according to SEGA EVP Alan Pritchard.

Pritchard was asked by GameSpot whether or not Sonic Generations would see a release on the console. He said, "The timing just doesn't work. Generations releases this November, and the Wii U is coming out next spring/summer.
    It will definitely NOT be out before April 1st, as they said the new console will not factor into this fiscal year's earnings, which ends March 31. But a lot of people, myself included, think phrasing it like that instead of the more common "mid-to-late 2012" probably means April/May more than it does July/August.
    Old 06-14-2011, 08:48 PM   #105
    hmich176
    SarcMark(TM)

My Tour Central Stats

I find this whole situation quite interesting. I don't really find it necessary for Microsoft to push out the next XBox console. I'm kind of happy with what I have in the 360. I see why Nintendo and Sony need to push forward though. Wii should have had HD support to begin with, and I think it was a mistake that they didn't. Sony simply had a PR disaster. I can see why Microsoft would push forward, just to stay with the crowd, but I kind of wish they didn't.
    Old 06-14-2011, 08:57 PM   #106
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmich176 View Post
    I find this whole situation quite interesting. I don't really find it necessary for Microsoft to push out the next XBox console. I'm kind of happy with what I have in the 360. I see why Nintendo and Sony need to push forward though. Wii should have had HD support to begin with, and I think it was a mistake that they didn't. Sony simply had a PR disaster. I can see why Microsoft would push forward, just to stay with the crowd, but I kind of wish they didn't.
    They could get an extra year out of the 360 if they just unlocked the full capacity of the new 360 S models. They actually have better technology in them, but were intentionally limited, so as to not outperform the older consoles online, or to cause design problems (developers developing on the new 360s, which would then lag on the old hardware).
    Old 06-14-2011, 09:02 PM   #107
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

My Tour Central Stats

I think people talked about this as well. According to Reggie the Wii U will support more than one tablet. It doesn't seem like there will be much a use for it: http://wii.ign.com/articles/117/1176175p1.html

Quote:
    Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter has told IGN that Nintendo's new console can support more than one controller. He states that he got the information direct from Reggie Fils-Aime, President of Nintendo of America.

"They were particularly unclear about whether the console would support more than one of their tablet-like controllers; Mr. Miyamoto said no, but Reggie said yes (to me in a meeting)," said Pachter. "Obviously, they intend to ship the console with only one of these controllers, so it is unlikely that anyone will develop games that require two, but they were not clear whether the capability exists."

Old 06-14-2011, 09:07 PM   #108
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    The 360 has the oldest tech of the bunch. So they are in most need of an updated console. Just in terms of sales they could easily milk the 360 more. Which I'm sure they will. Just like PS2 sold well after the PS3 came out.

What's going to be interesting to me is how much future proofing Nintendo has done with the Wii U. The last thing they can afford is for Xbox720 and PS4 to be so much more advanced. That it's the same situation as now where crappy PS2 ports go to Wii and the real games wind up on the other systems. Even if a game might look better on PS3 it's still out on Xbox 360.

If it's truly 50% more powerful than say a PS3 I think they'll be fine even if PS4 and the next Xbox are a little better. If it's just basically a faster PS3... well things will be interesting for Nintendo.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:46 PM   #109
    hmich176
    SarcMark(TM)

My Tour Central Stats

Why would things be interesting for Nintendo? If the last thing Nintendo can afford is for a higher advanced X-Box 3 and PS4...wasn't that what was said about the Wii versus the 360 and the PS3? Nintendo seemed to do pretty well with the non-HD supporting Wii, no?

For the Wii U, it really comes down to that controller. If the Wii-U-mote is limited to one per console (which is really, really, really, really stupid), I'd be right there with you, because that decision is one nail in the coffin for the console. But I really doubt that it will end up being being that way. Beyond that, Nintendo has a different target market than Microsoft and Sony.

I don't see anything that Sony did with the PS3 being a good example for anything. The PS2 continued to sell well after the PS3 came out because no one wanted to buy the PS3. The PS3 put Sony from first place to third place in the console war.
    Old 06-15-2011, 12:10 AM   #110
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Why would things be interesting for Nintendo? If the last thing Nintendo can afford is for a higher advanced X-Box 3 and PS4...wasn't that what was said about the Wii versus the 360 and the PS3? Nintendo seemed to do pretty well with the non-HD supporting Wii, no?
    Nintendo seems to be aiming for a more hardcore experience with this console. While bridging the gap for casual gamers to come over. The appeal of the Wii was everyone from a serious gamer to your grandma could play. How many of those people who bought Wii, who are not traditional gamers, will feel the need to buy another system?

Quote:
    For the Wii U, it really comes down to that controller. If the Wii-U-mote is limited to one per console (which is really, really, really, really stupid), I'd be right there with you, because that decision is one nail in the coffin for the console. But I really doubt that it will end up being being that way. Beyond that, Nintendo has a different target market than Microsoft and Sony.
    As I posted a couple post up. According to someone who had a meeting with the president of Nintendo of America. You can have more than one iPad thing. Not that it serve much of a purpose. From what I'm gathering in that IGN article. Say you're playing Mii Chase where the new controller is essential to gameplay. That will always only require 1 Wii U controller with no real need for a 2nd. As the other 4 people use the Wiimote.

In a game like Madden I'm sure both people could use the controller to pick their plays, ect. but that's not essential to the gameplay experience.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:16 AM   #111
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

Japan just got a release date, December 8th. This still suggests a Black Friday-ish date for the US. Pricing was also released for Japan. From Kotaku:

Quote:
    There will be two types of Wii U's on sale: a Basic Set and a Premium Set. They are priced at 26,250 and 31,500 (plus tax). The Basic Set has 8GB of Flash Memory, while the Premium Set has 32GB. Both consoles have 2GB of system memory—a number Kotaku first broke earlier this year.

The Premium Set comes with the black Wii U console, the black Wii U GamePad, a GamePad stylus, the Wii U AC adapter, the Wii U GamePad AC Adapter and a HDMI cable. The Premium Set will also come with a Wii U stand, a GamePad stand and charger.

Nintendo is offering the Nintendo Network premium service (wait, what?) until December 2014 for those who purchase the Premium Set.

The Premium Set is in Black; however, the Basic Set is in White. It comes with the Wii U console, the GamePad, a GamePad stylus, and cables, including HDMI.
    Everyone thought the Gamepad was going to drive up the price, and they are (partially) right. The Gamepad alone is ridiculously expensive, it's half the price of the standard bundle alone. The cheaper bundle is ¥26250, while the Gamepad sold by itself is ¥13440. In US prices, that's about $330 for the bundle, and $170 for a second Gamepad. But don't take those dollar numbers to heart: both Japanese companies (Sony being the other) scale prices down in the west. That Japanese price suggests a $280 or so price for the cheaper bundle, and a $330 or so for the better one.

Last thing: there's been reports of production problems, meaning supply is going to be even lower than the sort or absurdly low level Nintendo usually keeps these things at. If you want one in 2012/the first few months of 2013, I'd suggest you preorder literally as soon as you're allowed to.
    Old 09-13-2012, 01:29 AM   #112
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

Some other things: the Wii U has 2 gigs of RAM, split between the OS and games. For comparison, the 360 has 512 MB, split between the system and games. A good improvement, but remember, many game studios want at least 8 GB going forward.

They also announced that the system uses 25GB discs. Again, for comparison, the current 360 disc is 7.9 GB, but a full gig is reserved for anti-piracy measures, so studios only can use about 6.8. So that's a good jump.

The American press conference is at 10am today, but I clearly won't be up for it.
    Old 09-13-2012, 01:39 AM   #113
    mrignatious

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

I'm working from a relatively small amount of knowledge on the subject, but it seems to me that given the price of computer RAM currently that there really isn't much reason to not get closer to the 8 GB that the developers want.
    mrignatious is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-13-2012, 01:52 AM   #114
    hmich176
    SarcMark(TM)

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thestand View Post
    Japan just got a release date, December 8th. This still suggests a Black Friday-ish date for the US. Pricing was also released for Japan.
    The Wii was released November 19 in the US and December 2 in Japan. I think a Black Friday release is pretty likely based on this news.

I really don't know what Nintendo is trying to do with Wii U. I'm kind of excited for it's release, but I can't see this system stand (no pun intended) the test of time. Once the next XBox and PS4 are released, I don't see why hardcore gamers would stick with the Wii-U.
    Old 09-13-2012, 07:16 AM   #115
    Benny003

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

I've been a Nintendo fan for 23 years. I've owned every console they have made, but I think I'm going to wait until the new Xbox comes out to see what they come up with for comparison. I'm not as much of a gamer as I was when I was younger, so I'm looking more for something that will be an entertainment hub and I think the new Xbox will do a better job with that.
    Benny003 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-13-2012, 07:36 AM   #116
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

US release date: November 18th

The US editions both add a sensor bar, but everything else stays the same. Prices: $300/$350, a touch pricier than I think most were expecting. The deluxe edition included NintendoLand though, which to me makes it a no brainer. They also explained the Nintendo Network premium program, which people who buy the deluxe edition are automatically in. It's basically a rewards program: buy DLC/games, get points towards purchasing other DLC/games. Sort of cool.

They're also introducing the annoyingly named Nintendo TVii, which actually seems pretty cool. It has all your major streaming companies included, as well as individual tv channels and sports. It also has a DVR function. Basically turning the Gamepad into an iPad, as far as streaming in your house is concerned.
    Old 09-13-2012, 07:40 AM   #117
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

Nintendo TVii included in all Wii Us, no monthly fee (other than for the individual streaming sites, obviously). It really does look pretty well done. Take college football; you can either watch the game on the Gamepad, or put the game on your tv, and have full stats/replays/live updating field position grid on the Gamepad.
    Old 09-13-2012, 07:43 AM   #118
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

Bayonetta 2 is a Wii U exclusive. When's the last time Nintendo got a fairly major 3rd party exclusivity like that? Pretty cool, first Bayonetta was fun.
    Old 09-13-2012, 07:52 AM   #119
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

Activision just showed off two extremes: 007 Legends looked absolutely terrible graphically, and then here's Black Ops 2, running in HD at 60 fps on both your tv and the Gamepad. Really cool.
    Old 09-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #120
    thestand
    Best Ever

My Tour Central Stats

Alright, that's it. I'm definitely in for the premium bundle, as I was going to get NintendoLand anyway. What do you guys think?