I’m a little earlier in creating this thread when compared to last year, a little later in doing so when compared to other years. Nevertheless, it’s time for our 8th annual film poll! I know there are at least 15-20 of you who actually care.
Like always, the deadline for submissions is delayed until the weekend of the Academy Awards in February so as to give users much needed time to catch up on all of the stuff they’ve been meaning to watch.
In the meantime, feel free to use this thread to discuss what you liked, what you didn’t like, what you’re most looking forward to seeing, etc.
1) Final submissions are due by noon EST on Friday, February 24, 2017
. Results will be announced before the Academy Awards broadcast on February 26, 2017.
2) Votes should be PMed to me here on Ants. Please remember to number your lists in order to simplify things.
3) Lists are capped at 50
, with a minimum of 10 entries
necessary to be scored.
4) As a general rule of thumb, a theatrical release is eligible if it was designated as a limited release in 2016. We have A LOT of these this year. For example Silence
, A Monster Calls
, Hidden Figures
, Live by Night
, Patriots Day
, The Founder
, 20th Century Women
, and Gold
do not get wide releases until January. For our purposes, however (and those of Oscar eligibility), a limited release in December means they count. Films that only had festival screenings and no accompanying theatrical release are not similarly eligible.
Documentary features are eligible, as are HBO Original Films. Miniseries are not. Most notably for this year, O.J.: Made in America
5) Since final submissions are not due for nearly two months, a “secret ballot” rule is almost unenforceable. I love the spirit behind it though and would ask that as the deadline gets closer, people use their best judgment and stop posting preliminary lists. We don’t want to needlessly ruin the suspense of the final results. I won’t bring this up again unless I see it being a problem in the weeks leading up to the deadline.
As a frame of reference, here are the top 10 lists for the last seven years:
– WINNER: Moon
– WINNER: Black Swan
– WINNER: Drive
– WINNER: Silver Linings Playbook
– WINNER: 12 Years a Slave
– WINNER: Gone Girl
– WINNER: Room