The Americans - Antsmarching.org Forums

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums > General Discussion > alternativefactsC


Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 11:22 PM   #1
gocubsgo3822
#freerickyh24&nicky
 
gocubsgo3822's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ruh roh
Posts: 67,923

Shows Seen: 125
Send a message via AIM to gocubsgo3822 Send a message via Skype™ to gocubsgo3822

The Americans

This needs its own thread. Amazing pilot so far. Mind blown. FX makes some great fucking tv. The Phil Collins scene was amazing
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by recentlyJTR41 View Post
"The news was broke by 'dmbmuskie' on a 90's college band message board" - CBS Sports
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
wow that was a classic ricky deflection
gocubsgo3822 is offline   Reply With Quote

  • Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-30-2013, 11:23 PM   #2
    smokew11
    1-0
     
    smokew11's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2007
    Location: Reading, Pa
    Posts: 57,996

    Shows Seen: 35

    Re: The Americans

    I thought they threw the spy stuff in our face a little too much (the Star Spangled Banner w/the astronaut was a little sappy), but that was a great pilot. Lot of potential layers in this show
    __________________
    MyShows
    In Memoriam: Kermit. May angels guide you in

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AllifromOhio View Post
    Tom Hardy can make my bhole look like Hope's.
    smokew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-30-2013, 11:26 PM   #3
    Dramageek
    Zounds!
     
    Dramageek's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2004
    Location: Fair Verona
    Posts: 6,808

    Shows Seen: 48

    Re: The Americans

    Good stuff so far. I agree the astronaut at the school was a little thick. But I can see this getting very fun down the road. And holy shit Keri Russell!
    __________________
    Pittsburgh Ants. Come see me this summer!

    "If you spend word for word with me, I shall make your wit bankrupt."
    ~Two Gentlemen of Verona

    48 shows since 6.3.98. Next: ???
    Dramageek is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-30-2013, 11:26 PM   #4
    gocubsgo3822
    #freerickyh24&nicky
     
    gocubsgo3822's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2004
    Location: Ruh roh
    Posts: 67,923

    Shows Seen: 125
    Send a message via AIM to gocubsgo3822 Send a message via Skype™ to gocubsgo3822

    Re: The Americans

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokew11 View Post
    I thought they threw the spy stuff in our face a little too much (the Star Spangled Banner w/the astronaut was a little sappy), but that was a great pilot. Lot of potential layers in this show
    I hope you did not stop at 11.

    I liked the star spangled banner part. SHows the emotional layer Phillip has.
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by recentlyJTR41 View Post
    "The news was broke by 'dmbmuskie' on a 90's college band message board" - CBS Sports
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    wow that was a classic ricky deflection
    gocubsgo3822 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-30-2013, 11:36 PM   #5
    smokew11
    1-0
     
    smokew11's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2007
    Location: Reading, Pa
    Posts: 57,996

    Shows Seen: 35

    Re: The Americans

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gocubsgo3822 View Post
    I hope you did not stop at 11.

    I liked the star spangled banner part. SHows the emotional layer Phillip has.
    dick

    yeah that was pretty damn good. Fx has balls too, so this show could last despite middling ratings (which we all know it will get)

    I was Last Resort was on Fx, it wouldve gone 5 seasons
    __________________
    MyShows
    In Memoriam: Kermit. May angels guide you in

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AllifromOhio View Post
    Tom Hardy can make my bhole look like Hope's.
    smokew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-30-2013, 11:40 PM   #6
    Rodey
    G.O.A.T
     
    Rodey's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2005
    Location: Madison, WI
    Posts: 63,465

    Shows Seen: 16

    Re: The Americans

    Got this on the DVR, will watch tomorrow.

    Glad to hear it's pretty good.
    __________________
    Jordan
    "I'll tell you what: I'm never eating at Benihana again. I don't care whose birthday it is."
    Rodey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-30-2013, 11:42 PM   #7
    gocubsgo3822
    #freerickyh24&nicky
     
    gocubsgo3822's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2004
    Location: Ruh roh
    Posts: 67,923

    Shows Seen: 125
    Send a message via AIM to gocubsgo3822 Send a message via Skype™ to gocubsgo3822

    Re: The Americans

    Sepinwalls review was very very positive comparing it to some of the best work that FX has done..

    Going to go read the grantland review now.

    http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...r-back-to-life (Sepinwall)

    Grantland's Andy Greenwald http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...show-americans
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by recentlyJTR41 View Post
    "The news was broke by 'dmbmuskie' on a 90's college band message board" - CBS Sports
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    wow that was a classic ricky deflection
    gocubsgo3822 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-30-2013, 11:42 PM   #8
    smokew11
    1-0
     
    smokew11's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2007
    Location: Reading, Pa
    Posts: 57,996

    Shows Seen: 35

    Re: The Americans

    Kerri Russel in her best role ever

    I've been in love with her since Honey I Blew up the Kid
    __________________
    MyShows
    In Memoriam: Kermit. May angels guide you in

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AllifromOhio View Post
    Tom Hardy can make my bhole look like Hope's.
    smokew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-30-2013, 11:43 PM   #9
    smokew11
    1-0
     
    smokew11's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2007
    Location: Reading, Pa
    Posts: 57,996

    Shows Seen: 35

    Re: The Americans

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gocubsgo3822 View Post
    Sepinwalls review was very very positive comparing it to some of the best work that FX has done..

    Going to go read the grantland review now.

    http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...r-back-to-life (Sepinwall)

    Grantland's Andy Greenwald http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...show-americans
    i love Grantland but Greenwald rubs me the wrong way for some reason, like a hipster critic. Sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't, but I'm always a little mad after reading his reviews.
    __________________
    MyShows
    In Memoriam: Kermit. May angels guide you in

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AllifromOhio View Post
    Tom Hardy can make my bhole look like Hope's.
    smokew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-30-2013, 11:49 PM   #10
    gocubsgo3822
    #freerickyh24&nicky
     
    gocubsgo3822's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2004
    Location: Ruh roh
    Posts: 67,923

    Shows Seen: 125
    Send a message via AIM to gocubsgo3822 Send a message via Skype™ to gocubsgo3822

    Re: The Americans

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokew11 View Post
    i love Grantland but Greenwald rubs me the wrong way for some reason, like a hipster critic. Sometimes I agree, sometimes I don't, but I'm always a little mad after reading his reviews.
    I thought he did a good enough job with Breaking Bad. That is the only thing i really read him for since that is pretty much the only drama i currently watch on TV.

    But i thought he was fair with breking bad. So i will read him ont his as well.
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by recentlyJTR41 View Post
    "The news was broke by 'dmbmuskie' on a 90's college band message board" - CBS Sports
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    wow that was a classic ricky deflection
    gocubsgo3822 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-30-2013, 11:50 PM   #11
    snow1868
    Party in the back!
     
    snow1868's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2006
    Location: Apopka, FL
    Posts: 26,506

    Shows Seen: 12
    Send a message via AIM to snow1868 Send a message via MSN to snow1868

    Re: The Americans

    Worth an on-demand watch?
    __________________
    Ryan
    Go Pokes! Go Royals! Go Chiefs!

    Remember the Ten 1/27/01 4 Ever 11/17/11
    snow1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-30-2013, 11:55 PM   #12
    gocubsgo3822
    #freerickyh24&nicky
     
    gocubsgo3822's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2004
    Location: Ruh roh
    Posts: 67,923

    Shows Seen: 125
    Send a message via AIM to gocubsgo3822 Send a message via Skype™ to gocubsgo3822

    Re: The Americans

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snow1868 View Post
    Worth an on-demand watch?
    Can not stress it enough. One of the better pilots I have seen. Combines time period shit, with compelling characters, sex, violence, espionage.

    All around first tier show!
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by recentlyJTR41 View Post
    "The news was broke by 'dmbmuskie' on a 90's college band message board" - CBS Sports
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    wow that was a classic ricky deflection
    gocubsgo3822 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-30-2013, 11:58 PM   #13
    Dramageek
    Zounds!
     
    Dramageek's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2004
    Location: Fair Verona
    Posts: 6,808

    Shows Seen: 48

    Re: The Americans

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gocubsgo3822 View Post
    Can not stress it enough. One of the better pilots I have seen. Combines time period shit, with compelling characters, sex, violence, espionage.

    All around first tier show!
    I second this.
    __________________
    Pittsburgh Ants. Come see me this summer!

    "If you spend word for word with me, I shall make your wit bankrupt."
    ~Two Gentlemen of Verona

    48 shows since 6.3.98. Next: ???
    Dramageek is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-31-2013, 12:30 AM   #14
    DIDriveOut2SPAC
    American Aquarium Drnkr
     
    DIDriveOut2SPAC's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2006
    Location: New York City
    Posts: 25,398

    Shows Seen: 35

    Re: The Americans

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gocubsgo3822 View Post
    This needs its own thread. Amazing pilot so far. Mind blown. FX makes some great fucking tv. The Phil Collins scene was amazing
    suprized you know who phil collins is.

    #breadz
    __________________
    RateYourMusic 2011
    DIDriveOut2SPAC is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-31-2013, 12:31 AM   #15
    gocubsgo3822
    #freerickyh24&nicky
     
    gocubsgo3822's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2004
    Location: Ruh roh
    Posts: 67,923

    Shows Seen: 125
    Send a message via AIM to gocubsgo3822 Send a message via Skype™ to gocubsgo3822

    Re: The Americans

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DIDriveOut2SPAC View Post
    suprized you know who phil collins is.

    #breadz


    Seriously though if you dont know that song you are a miserable human being
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by recentlyJTR41 View Post
    "The news was broke by 'dmbmuskie' on a 90's college band message board" - CBS Sports
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow25 View Post
    wow that was a classic ricky deflection
    gocubsgo3822 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-31-2013, 01:27 AM   #16
    snow1868
    Party in the back!
     
    snow1868's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jan 2006
    Location: Apopka, FL
    Posts: 26,506

    Shows Seen: 12
    Send a message via AIM to snow1868 Send a message via MSN to snow1868

    Re: The Americans

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gocubsgo3822 View Post
    Can not stress it enough. One of the better pilots I have seen. Combines time period shit, with compelling characters, sex, violence, espionage.

    All around first tier show!
    Thanks, I'll give it a go later in the week.
    __________________
    Ryan
    Go Pokes! Go Royals! Go Chiefs!

    Remember the Ten 1/27/01 4 Ever 11/17/11
    snow1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-31-2013, 10:04 AM   #17
    water_into_wine
     
    Join Date: Sep 2008
    Location: Boston
    Posts: 35,204

    Shows Seen: 2

    Re: The Americans

    Quck comment in regards to Greenwald and really Grantland in general.

    Love the topics they talk about, but they are really bad writers/reviewers. Always trying to be too funny and clever and they really aren't that good at it. THey're also not terribly intelligent even though they think they are. It's just gotten worse over time as everyone tries to be the next Bill Simmons (whom I actually like most of the time). Mostly skim their reviews now.
    water_into_wine is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-31-2013, 10:07 AM   #18
    UNC41
    Gimme Dat
     
    UNC41's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2003
    Location: Minneapolis, MN
    Posts: 26,532

    Shows Seen: 0
    Send a message via MSN to UNC41

    Re: The Americans

    The pilot was great. As was Sepinwall's review. Greenwald's review made me cringe.
    __________________
    Bryan

    You white, then you Ben Affleck.
    UNC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-31-2013, 10:12 AM   #19
    Ascf33
    Pure Class
     
    Join Date: Jul 2003
    Location: Raleigh, NC
    Posts: 36,988

    Shows Seen: 21

    Re: The Americans

    I liked it. I'll give it a go.
    Ascf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-31-2013, 02:12 PM   #20
    smokew11
    1-0
     
    smokew11's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2007
    Location: Reading, Pa
    Posts: 57,996

    Shows Seen: 35

    Re: The Americans

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by water_into_wine View Post
    Quck comment in regards to Greenwald and really Grantland in general.

    Love the topics they talk about, but they are really bad writers/reviewers. Always trying to be too funny and clever and they really aren't that good at it. THey're also not terribly intelligent even though they think they are. It's just gotten worse over time as everyone tries to be the next Bill Simmons (whom I actually like most of the time). Mostly skim their reviews now.
    thats my problem with Greenwald as well...its the hipster intellect...referencing thigns that are obscure to make you appear smarter. I love Klosterman though, i think hes the best writer on the site. Ive been a fan of him for years
    __________________
    MyShows
    In Memoriam: Kermit. May angels guide you in

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AllifromOhio View Post
    Tom Hardy can make my bhole look like Hope's.
    smokew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-31-2013, 02:17 PM   #21
    Rodey
    G.O.A.T
     
    Rodey's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2005
    Location: Madison, WI
    Posts: 63,465

    Shows Seen: 16

    Re: The Americans

    Bill Simmons is a blowhard.
    __________________
    Jordan
    "I'll tell you what: I'm never eating at Benihana again. I don't care whose birthday it is."
    Rodey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-31-2013, 02:18 PM   #22
    dre2142
    Get it done
     
    dre2142's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2005
    Location: New Market, Maryland
    Posts: 41,408

    Shows Seen: 31

    Re: The Americans

    Cant wait to watch this tonight
    dre2142 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-31-2013, 02:22 PM   #23
    water_into_wine
     
    Join Date: Sep 2008
    Location: Boston
    Posts: 35,204

    Shows Seen: 2

    Re: The Americans

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokew11 View Post
    thats my problem with Greenwald as well...its the hipster intellect...referencing thigns that are obscure to make you appear smarter. I love Klosterman though, i think hes the best writer on the site. Ive been a fan of him for years
    Ehhh, I wouldn't define it as hipster. Just more smug than anything. Almost a meta-hipster where he almost writes "I'm cooler than hipsters". It's weird to define. He just doesn't focus on the review or actual quality of the show so much as how many things he can think of that remind him of the show.

    I read reviews that would be classified as a lot more "hipster" (i.e. Av Club) and they rarely have any problems in their reviews. They become more pretentious in their more general pieces (though once again I find those subjects very interesting), but for their episode reviews they mostly focus on the quality.

    Slate's another one where they just try to come up with far-out-there takes on a review just to be interesting, but that's pretty much how their whole publication operates and they're pretty self-aware of it.
    water_into_wine is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-31-2013, 04:40 PM   #24
    smokew11
    1-0
     
    smokew11's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2007
    Location: Reading, Pa
    Posts: 57,996

    Shows Seen: 35

    Re: The Americans

    yeah i guess i agree. its just hard to read Greenwald cuz you cant get through 2 sentences without an insanely obscure reference, and link to boot
    __________________
    MyShows
    In Memoriam: Kermit. May angels guide you in

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AllifromOhio View Post
    Tom Hardy can make my bhole look like Hope's.
    smokew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-31-2013, 05:45 PM   #25
    MOWJO8185
     
    MOWJO8185's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2004
    Posts: 6,245

    Shows Seen: 9

    Re: The Americans

    This pilot was awesome.
    MOWJO8185 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-31-2013, 05:50 PM   #26
    Dramageek
    Zounds!
     
    Dramageek's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2004
    Location: Fair Verona
    Posts: 6,808

    Shows Seen: 48

    Re: The Americans

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by water_into_wine View Post
    Ehhh, I wouldn't define it as hipster. Just more smug than anything. Almost a meta-hipster where he almost writes "I'm cooler than hipsters". It's weird to define. He just doesn't focus on the review or actual quality of the show so much as how many things he can think of that remind him of the show.

    I read reviews that would be classified as a lot more "hipster" (i.e. Av Club) and they rarely have any problems in their reviews. They become more pretentious in their more general pieces (though once again I find those subjects very interesting), but for their episode reviews they mostly focus on the quality.

    Slate's another one where they just try to come up with far-out-there takes on a review just to be interesting, but that's pretty much how their whole publication operates and they're pretty self-aware of it.
    These are good points. He says it's a great show, but instead of saying why, he tries to fit it in the pantheon of other long-form television dramas. He doesn't talk much about the actual merits of the show save Keri Russell's performance, which is likely to win awards.

    Maybe we should make a thread for reviews of Andy Greenwald reviews.
    __________________
    Pittsburgh Ants. Come see me this summer!

    "If you spend word for word with me, I shall make your wit bankrupt."
    ~Two Gentlemen of Verona

    48 shows since 6.3.98. Next: ???
    Dramageek is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-31-2013, 05:53 PM   #27
    Rodey
    G.O.A.T
     
    Rodey's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2005
    Location: Madison, WI
    Posts: 63,465

    Shows Seen: 16

    Re: The Americans

    Keri Russell giving a beej is probably a good way to start off a series.
    __________________
    Jordan
    "I'll tell you what: I'm never eating at Benihana again. I don't care whose birthday it is."
    Rodey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-31-2013, 05:57 PM   #28
    smokew11
    1-0
     
    smokew11's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2007
    Location: Reading, Pa
    Posts: 57,996

    Shows Seen: 35

    Re: The Americans

    just make sure you know where her hands are
    __________________
    MyShows
    In Memoriam: Kermit. May angels guide you in

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AllifromOhio View Post
    Tom Hardy can make my bhole look like Hope's.
    smokew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-31-2013, 07:46 PM   #29
    Arby
    We Have The Meats
     
    Arby's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Posts: 84,752

    Shows Seen: 24

    Re: The Americans

    Shows I like:
    Breaking Bad
    Mad Men
    Boardwalk Empire

    Shows that are good but not good:
    Walking Dead
    American Horror Story

    Shows I dont like:
    95% of everything else




    Will I like this show or not?
    Arby is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-31-2013, 08:11 PM   #30
    smokew11
    1-0
     
    smokew11's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2007
    Location: Reading, Pa
    Posts: 57,996

    Shows Seen: 35

    Re: The Americans

    you'll like it
    __________________
    MyShows
    In Memoriam: Kermit. May angels guide you in

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AllifromOhio View Post
    Tom Hardy can make my bhole look like Hope's.
    smokew11 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off

    Forum Jump


    Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:44 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
    Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


       
    Site LinksAbout AntsAnts MobileTweet Tweet
    Home
    Ants+
    Tour Central
    Search bar
    RSS Feeds
    About Us
    Contact Us
    The Ants Blog
    Advertise on Ants
    Privacy Policy
    Ants on your cell phone
    iAnts
    mobile news
    mobile setlists
    antslive!
    Ants' Twitter
    DMBLive Twitter
    Matt's Twitter
    Jake's Twitter
    Joe's Twitter