Bizarre Unsolved Mysteries - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-16-2011, 09:27 AM   #1
dre2142
Get it done

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Bizarre Unsolved Mysteries

Thought I'd start this thread since I love reading about this stuff on other forums.

The Dyatlov Pass Incident
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_Pass_incident
Quote:
The Dyatlov Pass incident refers to an event that resulted in the deaths of nine ski hikers in the northern Ural mountains on the night of February 2, 1959. It happened on the east shoulder of the mountain Kholat Syakhl (Холат Сяхл) (a Mansi name, meaning Mountain of the Dead). The mountain pass where the incident occurred has since been named Dyatlov Pass (Перевал Дятлова) after the group's leader, Igor Dyatlov (Игорь Дятлов)
The Kelly-Hopkinsville Encounter
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly%E...ille_encounter
Quote:
The Kelly–Hopkinsville encounter, also known as the Hopkinsville Goblins Case, and to a lesser extent the Kelly Green Men Case, is the name given to a series of presumably connected incidents of alleged close encounters with supposed extraterrestrial beings. The incidents occurred in the fall of 1955, the most famous and well-publicized of which centered around a rural farmhouse at the time belonging to the Sutton family, which was located between the hamlet of Kelly and the small city of Hopkinsville, both in Christian County, Kentucky, United States. It is from these main incidents that the entire case takes its name.
The miniature coffins on Arthurs Seat
http://blogs.forteana.org/node/97
Quote:
That, early in July, 1836, some boys were searching for rabbits' burrows in the rocky formation, near Edinburgh, known as Arthur's Seat. In the side of a cliff, they came upon some thin sheets of slate, which they pulled out.

Little cave.

Seventeen tiny coffins.

Three or four inches long.

In the coffins were miniature wooden figures. They were dressed differently in both style and material. There were two tiers of eight coffins each, and a third one begun, with one coffin.

The extraordinary datum, which has especially made mystery here:

That the coffins had been deposited singly, in the little cave, and at intervals of many years. In the first tier, the coffins were quite decayed, and the wrappings had moldered away. In the second tier, the effects of age had not advanced to far. And the top coffin was quite recent looking.
Crazy Swedish Twins
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ursula_and_Sabina_Eriksson
Quote:
Ursula and Sabina Eriksson, born 1967, are a pair of Swedish twins who came to national attention in the United Kingdom in 2008 after an apparent episode of folie ā deux which resulted in unique footage of insanity on the M6 motorway and the killing of Glenn Hollinshead. No drugs or alcohol were involved in any of the incidents.[1][2] Their actions have never been explained, other than by a rare, induced delusional disorder which caused the pair to be temporarily insane.[3]
The Mad Gasser of Mattoon
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mad_Gasser_of_Mattoon
Quote:
The Mad Gasser of Mattoon (also known as the "Anesthetic Prowler", the "Mad Anesthetist", the "Phantom Anesthetist", the "Mad Gasser of Roanoke", or simply the "Mad Gasser") was the name given to the person or people believed to be responsible for a series of apparent gas attacks that occurred in Botetourt County, Virginia, during the early 1930s, and in Mattoon, Illinois, during the mid-1940s.
The Solway Firth Spaceman
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Solway_Firth_Spaceman
Quote:
The Solway Firth Spaceman (also known as the Solway Spaceman and the Cumberland Spaceman) refers to a photograph taken in 1964 at Burgh Marsh, situated near Burgh by Sands and overlooking the Solway Firth in Cumbria, England. The image, which shows in the background a white figure in what the photographer Jim Templeton took for a space suit, remains unexplained. While it has been suggested by some that the figure is merely someone with their back to the camera, perhaps wearing a hat or helmet[1], Templeton insists that he did not see anyone present when the photograph was taken. The image has attracted interest from ufologists and has become a source of international fascination.[2]
Pic in Question http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...thSpaceman.jpg

The Bloop
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bloop
Quote:
The Bloop is the name given to an ultra-low frequency and extremely powerful underwater sound detected by the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) in 1997. The source of the sound remains unknown.
The Valentich Disappearance
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentich_disappearance
Quote:
The Frederick Valentich Disappearance is an event that occurred on October 21, 1978, in which 20-year-old Frederick Valentich disappeared in unexplained circumstances while piloting a Cessna 182L light aircraft over the Bass Strait to King Island, Australia. Prior to his disappearance, Valentich reported via radio that he had encountered an unidentified craft which was moving at the same speed of his plane, and which hovered over him. No trace of Valentich or his aircraft was ever found. Shortly before Valentich’s last reported contact, plumber Roy Manifold set up a time lapse camera and tripod on the shoreline in order to photograph the sun setting over the water. When his pictures were developed they appeared to show a fast moving object exiting the water. Manifold gave the time that the pictures were taken as being approximately 6:47 pm (18:47 hrs), or 20 minutes before Valentich reported having difficulties. Moments before a strange noise terminated Valentich’s communications, he said: “My intentions are - ah - to go to King Island - ah - Melbourne. That strange aircraft is hovering on top of me again (open microphone for two seconds). It is hovering and it’s not an aircraft.”
Here's the transcript
Quote:
[TIME-19:06:14]

DSJ = DELTA SIERRA JULIET, The plane the guy was flying.

FSU = Ground Control at Melbourne.

DSJ Melbourne, this is Delta Sierra Juliet. Is there any known traffic below five thousand?

FSU Delta Sierra Juliet: No known traffic.

DSJ Melbourne, I am...seems to be a large aircraft below five thousand.

FSU DSJ, What type of aircraft is it?

DSJ I cannot confirm. It is four bright...it seems to me like, landing lights

FSU DELTA SIERRA JULIET???

DSJ Melbourne, this is Delta Sierra Juliet. The aircraft has just passed over me at least a thousand feet above.

FSU DSJ, Roger. And it is a large aircraft, confirm?

DSJ Ah...unknown due to speed it's travelling. Is there any airforce aircraft in the vicinity?

FSU No known aircraft in the vicinity.

DSJ Melbourne? It's approaching now from due East towards me.

***10 seconds silence***

FSU DELTA SIERRA JULIET???

***14 seconds silence***

DSJ //open mic for 2 seconds//

DSJ It seems to me that he's playing some sort of game. He's flying over me two, three times at a time...at speeds I could not identify.

FSU DSJ Roger. What is your actual level?

DSJ My level is four and a half thousand. Four Five Zero Zero.

FSU DSJ, and confirm: You cannot identify the aircraft?

DSJ Affirmative.

FSU DSJ, Roger. Standby.

DSJ MELBOURNE, It's not an aircraft. It is...

FSU Delta Sierra Juliet MELBOURNE, Can you descrive the, er, aircraft?

DSJ It's flying past. It's a long shape...Cannot identify more than that. It has such speed! Before me right now, Melbourne.

FSU Roger. And how large would the, er, object be?

DSJ It seems to like it's stationary...What I'm doing right now is orbiting and...the thing is just orbiting on top of me. Also it's got a green light, and sort of metallic, like it's all shiny on the outside.

***23 seconds of silence***

FSU DELTA SIERRA JULIET?

DSJ It's just vanished.

***9 seconds of silence***

FSU DELTA SIERRA JULIET?

DSJ Melbourne, would you know what type of aircraft I've got? Is it a military aircraft?

FSU DELTA SIERRA JULIET. Confirm the aircraft just vanished.

DSJ SAY AGAIN?

FSU Is the aircraft still with you?

DSJ It's ah, Nor- It's approaching from the Southwest.

***14 seconds of silence***

FSU DELTA SIERRA JULIET?

DSJ The engine is rough idling, and I've got it set at 23-24 and the thing is ***coughing***

FSU Roger. What are your intentions?

DSJ My intentions...ah...are to go to King Island...ah...MELBOURNE, the strange aircraft is hovering on top of me again...It is hovering and it is not an aircraft.

***13 seconds of silence***

FSU DELTA SIERRA JULIET?

DSJ //17 seconds open microphone//

***21 seconds silence***

FSU DELTA SIERRA JULIET?

FSU DELTA SIERRA JULIET? MELBOURNE.

[TIME- 19:12:49]

REMARKS-

There is no record of further transmissions from the aircraft.
Weather in the Cap Otway was clear with a trace of stratocumulus cloud at 5K to 7K feet. Scattered cirrus cloud at 30K feet. Excellent visibility. Light winds. End of daylight at Cape Otay was 19:18.

SAR procedures were declared at 1912 hours. At 1933 hours when the aircraft did not arrive at King Island, the Distress Phase was declared and search action commenced. An intensive air, sea, and land search was continued until 25 October 1978, but no trace of the aircraft was found.

The reason for the disappearance of the aircraft has not been determined.
Oak Island
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oak_Island_Money_Pit
Quote:
For nearly 200 years, singly and in syndicates, men have been boring and tunneling on a small island off Nova Scotia in search of a fabulous treasure.
Vastly more treasure—has been poured into the search than has ever came out of it. Whoever dug the “Money Pit” on Oak Island was a brilliant engineer, who harnessed the sea to keep trespassers at bay and to keep something so valuable out of others hands.

The only finds so far have been: three links of a chain that may have been gold or copper (accounts vary); a tiny scrap of parchment reading the two letters, V and I, written with a quill pen: and a cipher stone with odd samples that was found at 90 feet down the shaft. But which has since mysteriously disappears. Having last been seen circa 19
Diagram here
http://circa71.files.wordpress.com/2...if?w=450&h=945

Vitrified Forts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitrified_Forts
Quote:
These are hill forts surrounded by rocks that have been liquified and allowed to resolidify. Sometimes the liquified rocks are used to seal gaps between larger unmelted rocks, but sometimes an entire wall is made from the melted rocksMost vitrified forts are in Scotland, though some have been found in Ireland and mainland Europe.

The forts are around 2000 or more years old, and no one is sure how they were made. It would take a temperature of over 1000 degrees C to melt the rocks used in the forts, and while people of ancient times might have been able to generate fires of those temperatures, it's unclear how such heat was maintained long enough to melt so many rocks. It would've taken an incredible amount of fuel, far more than would seem possible or practical, so they must have used some method to melt rocks with relatively little fuel. However, no one in modern times has ever been able to come up with such a method. Another problem is that melting rocks actually weakens them, so why go to so much trouble to build a fort out of them?

have tons more that Ill add later.
dre2142 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-16-2011, 09:31 AM   #2
    dre2142
    Get it done

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Bizarre Unsolved Mysteries

Stone Spheres of Costa Rica
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_s..._of_Costa_Rica
    Quote:
    The stone spheres (or stone balls) of Costa Rica are an assortment of over three hundred petrospheres in Costa Rica, located on the Diquis Delta and on Isla del Caņo. Known locally as Las Bolas, they are also called The Diquis Spheres. These are the best-known stone sculptures of the Isthmo-Colombian area. The spheres range in size from a few centimetres to over 2 meters (6.6 ft) in diameter, and weigh up to 16 short tons (15 t). Most are sculpted from gabbro, the coarse-grained equivalent of basalt. There are a dozen or so made from shell-rich limestone, and another dozen made from a sandstone.
    The Antikithera Mechanism
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism
    Quote:
    The Antikythera mechanism is an ancient mechanical computer designed to calculate astronomical positions. It was recovered in 1900–01 from the Antikythera wreck, but its complexity and significance were not understood until decades later. It is now thought to have been built about 150–100 BCE. The degree of mechanical sophistication is comparable to a 19th century Swiss clock. Technological artifacts of similar complexity and workmanship did not reappear until the 14th century, when mechanical astronomical clocks appeared in Europe.
    Pic here: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...%C3%A8re_1.jpg

My Favorite:
    UVB-76
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UVB-76
    Quote:
    UVB-76 (sometimes referred to as UZB-76, but recently MDZhB[1]) is the call sign of a shortwave radio station that usually broadcasts on the frequency 4625 kHz (AM suppressed lower sideband). It is known among radio listeners by the nickname The Buzzer. It features a short, monotonous buzz tone (help·info), repeating at a rate of approximately 25 tones per minute, for 24 hours per day. The station has been observed since around 1982.[2] On rare occasions, the buzzer signal is interrupted and a voice transmission in Russian takes place. Despite much speculation, the actual purpose of this station remains unknown to the public.[3]
    Missing Roanoke Colony
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roanoke_Colony
    Quote:
    For those who don't know or remember, basically in 1587, one of the very first colonies in North America was founded on the north end of Roanoke Island, in what's now North Carolina. The first major group of settlers, I think around 117 of them, found the colony and the first white person is born in the Americas, Virginia Dare. Circumstances are not favorable for a resupply ship for a few years, and then, finally, John White, the grandfather of Virginia Dare, managed to get on a ship to check things out:

quote:
    He finally gained passage on a privateering expedition that agreed to stop off at Roanoke on the way back from the Caribbean. White landed on August 18, 1590, on his granddaughter's third birthday, but found the settlement deserted. His men could not find any trace of the 90 men, 17 women, and 11 children, nor was there any sign of a struggle or battle. The only clue was the word "Croatoan" carved into a post of the fort and "Cro" carved into a nearby tree. All the houses and fortifications had been dismantled, which meant their departure had not been hurried. Before he had left the colony, White had instructed them that if anything happened to them, they should carve a Maltese cross on a tree nearby, indicating that their disappearance had been forced. As there was no cross, White took this to mean they had moved to Croatoan Island, but he was unable to conduct a search. A massive storm was brewing and his men refused to go any farther. The next day, they left.

There are numerous theories. The most popular of which are:
    1) They left the island by choice and tried to live with native peoples of one tribe or another.
    2) They left by choice, and were attempting to make it in a new colony when they were attacked and slaughtered by natives.
    3) They were abducted by aliens (seriously, some people believe this).
    4) They tried to sail back to England with some small vessels unequipped for the voyage and perished at sea.

Most recently, we've been able to deduce that there was a tremendous drought during those three years - the worst in some 800 years beforehand. Also, they found some signs that some of the colonists DID relocate to Croatan, which was about 50 miles away. Recently, there's even a DNA project that's been going on to see if any of the colonists survived and intermingled with any of the natives.
    Aokigahara Suicide Forest
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aokigahara

Quote:
    Aokigahara (青木ヶ原?), also known as the Sea of Trees (樹海 Jukai?), is a 35 km2 forest that lies at the north west base of Mount Fuji in Japan. The forest contains a number of rocky, icy caverns, a few of which are popular tourist destinations.
    The forest, which has a historic association with demons in Japanese mythology, is a popular place for suicides; in 2002, 78 bodies were found, despite numerous signs, in Japanese and English, urging people to reconsider their actions.[1]
    Due to the wind-blocking density of the trees, and an absence of wildlife, the forest is known for being eerily quiet.
    Pic here: http://acidcow.com/pics/20091028/aokigahara_01.jpg
    Old 06-16-2011, 09:42 AM   #3
    mandy18

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dre2142 View Post
    I thought this thread was going to be about the tv show Unsolved Mysteries (and like their most bizarre cases). Favorite show ever (I'll even watch the awful ones w/ Dennis Farina).

Thanks for giving me something to kill time with ... I'll be checking out the links. I love things like this ...

I'll occassionally catch Destination Truth on Syfy ~ there was an episode last season (I think) about this forest. Of course, they didn't "find" anything, but it certainly is an interesting place!
    mandy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-16-2011, 09:50 AM   #4
    cpxc.

Shows Seen: 119

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D._B._Cooper

always liked this one
    Old 06-16-2011, 09:51 AM   #5
    wnderwoman

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

I am very interested in some of these, I need time to read through. Cool thread Dre.
    wnderwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-16-2011, 09:51 AM   #6
    dre2142
    Get it done

My Tour Central Stats

I have some more Ill post up soon too
    Old 06-16-2011, 09:54 AM   #7
    ji/\/\ithing
    Missing Roi... Always

Shows Seen: 50

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

how did Nickleback ever become popular?

greatest unsolved mystery of all time.
    ji/\/\ithing is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-16-2011, 10:01 AM   #8
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Very cool, I've never heard of the Aussie jet one, that's interesting as hell.

Have watched a documentary on thay treaure shaft in Nova Scotia. Basically, the lower you go, the more everything floods with water. Would be awesome to see it figured out one day. And where the eff did it come from??

I always liked that case of the guy who hijacked a plane over Washington/Oregon, demanded a bunch of money or something, and then jumped out in a parachute and was never seen or heard from again. Probably died on landing, but who he was, no one may ever know.

I've read a book or two that focused on Civilation One, or the belief that there was an advanced society that pre-dates the Sumerians, that for whatever reason, was wiped out. 40,000 to 50,000 BC. The game Assassin's Creed also deals with this concept, and mentions that device up there from the shipwreck dating to 150 to 100 BC.
    Tiduwho is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-16-2011, 10:02 AM   #9
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cpxc. View Post
    There it is.
    Old 06-16-2011, 10:09 AM   #10
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

My Tour Central Stats

It would be awesome if someone finally broke through that mineshaft in Nova Scotia, found a treasure chest, and inside it was simply a note:

"Sorry, no treasure. Seriously. This was just a giant money pit for my amusement. And you just wasted half your life. LOL, u mad?"
    Old 06-16-2011, 10:16 AM   #11
    SqueeBaBooSquee
    Cham Peens

My Tour Central Stats

Cool thread. Reminds me of stories I heard, forgot where, where people finding ancient artifacts burrows next to modern day objects like batteries or watches. If there's any story like that I'd like to reread.
    SqueeBaBooSquee is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-16-2011, 10:17 AM   #12
    saygdbye4134

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

very good thread dre.
    saygdbye4134 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-16-2011, 10:21 AM   #13
    bigeyedfish190

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Awesome thread. I'd only read the wiki page on a handful of those.

Swiss watch turns up in tomb that was supposedly sealed for 400 years:
    http://www.weirdasianews.com/2009/03...s-swiss-watch/
    Oh, and also I'm glad you're not in Flint. Your life expectancy is inversely proportional to the amount of time you spend there.
    bigeyedfish190 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-16-2011, 10:28 AM   #14
    mandy18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SqueeBaBooSquee View Post
    Cool thread. Reminds me of stories I heard, forgot where, where people finding ancient artifacts burrows next to modern day objects like batteries or watches. If there's any story like that I'd like to reread.
    I've read stories like that as well.
    I remember a few months ago reading a list of the "top 10" unexplained mysteries of the world. One was the Taos Hum, another had to do with some weird burial ground type thing (full of odd shaped skeletons). I can't recall where I read the list from, though, to share.

In trying to find it & stories like the out-of-place artifacts, I did find this list, which is interesting:

http://www.toptenz.net/top-10-bizarr...iscoveries.php

More on the taos hum:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hum
    Old 06-16-2011, 11:23 AM   #15
    DMBcubs3641
    Season over.

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curse_of_the_Billy_Goat
    Quote:
    The Billy Goat curse was supposedly placed on the Cubs in 1945 when Billy Goat Tavern owner Billy Sianis was asked to leave a World Series game against the Detroit Tigers at the Cubs' home ground of Wrigley Field because his pet goat's odor was bothering other fans.[1] He was outraged and declared, "Them Cubs, they aren't gonna win no more," which has been interpreted to mean that there would never be another World Series game won at Wrigley Field.[2] The exact nature of the curse differs in various accounts of the incident. Some state that Sianis declared that no World Series games would ever again be played at Wrigley Field, while others believe that his ban was on the Cubs appearing in the World Series, making no mention of a specific venue. Sianis’ family claims that he dispatched a telegram to team owner Philip K. Wrigley which read, “You are going to lose this World Series and you are never going to win another World Series again. You are never going to win a World Series again because you insulted my goat.”[3] Whatever the truth, the Cubs were up two games to one in the ’45 series but ended up losing Game 4 and the best-of-seven series, four games to three. The curse was immortalized in newspaper columns over the years, particularly by syndicated columnist Mike Royko, and gained widespread attention during the 2003 postseason when Fox television commentators played it up during the Cubs-Marlins match-up in the National League Championship Series.[4]
    DMBcubs3641 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-16-2011, 11:37 AM   #16
    dre2142
    Get it done

My Tour Central Stats

Stumbled upon this one....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9SQdfr200c
    Not really a "mystery" but there isnt really a difinitive story on what happened to the house
    http://hauntsandhistory.blogspot.com...ted-tower.html
    Old 06-16-2011, 11:38 AM   #17
    comeandsee41

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mandy18 View Post
    Favorite show ever (I'll even watch the awful ones w/ Dennis Farina).
    what?? they rebooted the show with dennis farina??

glad i didnt know that.

Robert Stack used to scare the everloving shit out of me.
    Old 06-16-2011, 11:45 AM   #18
    NextMovement41
    BBQ BEER FREEDOM

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Great thread, Im reading through these later
    Old 06-16-2011, 12:08 PM   #19
    mandy18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by comeandsee41 View Post
    what?? they rebooted the show with dennis farina??

glad i didnt know that.

Robert Stack used to scare the everloving shit out of me.
    Haha - yep, they did.
    It was on Spike and now they show re-runs on Lifetime.

I loved RS.

Funny story - on one episode of the original, there was a segment about a couple in Monroeville (suburb of Pittsburgh): she "fell" off the balcolny of the apartment and died. The segment was over did the husband kill her or was it an accident or suicide. At any rate, I really remembered the story b/c it was local.

Fast-forward a few years and I was reading an article in the local paper about this man on trial for the murder of his wife - it was the segment I had seen on US. But, the part that really was weird - it was my really close friend's (Gary) sister's new husband that was the "husband' in the murder / suicide. Apparently, Gary's sister married this man & then they finally put him on trial for the murder of his first wife. Gary's family must've bought his story b/c they put their house up for his bond. I never asked Gary about it .... he obviously didn't bring it up / want to share & I didn't want to be like "so, I was watching US once ...."
    I'm pretty sure he was found not-guilty, though.
    Old 06-16-2011, 12:18 PM   #20
    mandy18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Haha - yep, they did.
    It was on Spike and now they show re-runs on Lifetime.

I loved RS.

Funny story - on one episode of the original, there was a segment about a couple in Monroeville (suburb of Pittsburgh): she "fell" off the balcolny of the apartment and died. The segment was over did the husband kill her or was it an accident or suicide. At any rate, I really remembered the story b/c it was local.

Fast-forward a few years and I was reading an article in the local paper about this man on trial for the murder of his wife - it was the segment I had seen on US. But, the part that really was weird - it was my really close friend's (Gary) sister's new husband that was the "husband' in the murder / suicide. Apparently, Gary's sister married this man & then they finally put him on trial for the murder of his first wife. Gary's family must've bought his story b/c they put their house up for his bond. I never asked Gary about it .... he obviously didn't bring it up / want to share & I didn't want to be like "so, I was watching US once ...."
    I'm pretty sure he was found not-guilty, though.
    Here was the wiki on the episode:
    http://unsolvedmysteries.wikia.com/w...elle_Witherell

And a later news article

http://www.post-gazette.com/regionst...222arrest1.asp
    Old 06-16-2011, 12:20 PM   #21
    Beebz
    Tinnitus Victim

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

What's the one thing 95 percent of these "mysterious circumstances" have in common? Yup, they took place between 50 and 200 years ago.

Put it this way -- there's a lot less of these things today. Draw your own conclusions as to why.
    Beebz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-16-2011, 12:23 PM   #22
    mandy18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beebz View Post
    What's the one thing 95 percent of these "mysterious circumstances" have in common? Yup, they took place between 50 and 200 years ago.

Put it this way -- there's a lot less of these things today. Draw your own conclusions as to why.
    Well, why not just rain a little more on everybody's parade?
    Old 06-16-2011, 12:24 PM   #23
    Beebz
    Tinnitus Victim

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Well, why not just rain a little more on everybody's parade?
    , I mean, come on. It's not a coincidence.

Some of these are pretty cool, though. This is my favorite:

Beebz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-16-2011, 12:29 PM   #24
    mandy18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beebz View Post
    , I mean, come on. It's not a coincidence.

Some of these are pretty cool, though. This is my favorite:

My favorite (from the ones posted above) is about the little goblin people.
    Old 06-16-2011, 12:45 PM   #25
    breckbrew
    Not a wook

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

This is one of the Unsolved Mysteries episodes I remember most vividly: http://unsolvedmysteries.wikia.com/wiki/Don_Decker
    breckbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-16-2011, 01:37 PM   #26
    Jake

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dre2142 View Post

I have little to no doubt that this one is pretty simple. They moved to the mainland (hence the word "Croatoan" on a tree) and mated with the natives. That's why there were a bunch of grey eyed Indians after that. Offspring of the Europeans.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cpxc. View Post
    Don (misidentified as D.B.) Cooper undoubtedly perished in his jump. He probably never even opened the chute.

There is an outside chance that "D.B." Cooper is Richard McCoy, Jr. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_McCoy,_Jr.), but it would be kinda odd if it were.

I've been a fan of the unsolved true crime ones... two of my favorites (sticking with the wiki theme)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zodiac_Killer

I strongly doubt that will ever be solved unless someone uncovers a box full of trinkets from the killer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_the_ripper

that one, I feel - despite the fact that it will never truly be solved - has a very strong likelihood of the killer being one of the (many) believed to be the actual Jack The Ripper. There's about 3 people that I think that we know of that could actually be the real Jack The Ripper.
    Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-16-2011, 01:39 PM   #27
    Jake

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

oh, and the Money Pit is real too. There's something down there that is very valuable.
    Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-16-2011, 01:40 PM   #28
    dre2142
    Get it done

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    oh, and the Money Pit is real too. There's something down there that is very valuable.

Didnt know you were THAT old. So what did you put down there back then?
    Old 06-16-2011, 01:58 PM   #29
    bonzo48280
    Tramps Like Us...

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

http://www.cracked.com/article_18459...n-explain.html

all of those are gold

-Packers suck, along with the Red Wings.
    -BRUUUUUUUUUUCE
    bonzo48280 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-16-2011, 02:02 PM   #30
    davidw.

Shows Seen: 4

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Thanks for posting these. I love stuff like this
    davidw. is offline   Reply With Quote