BWGK on Vinyl - Page 19 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 08-11-2010, 07:35 AM   #541
dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Re: BWGK on Vinyl

Vinyl sales for BWGK as of January 2010 were 11,400 according to Nielsen Soundscan if anyone was interested.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-11-2010, 07:56 AM   #542
    Matt

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    Vinyl sales for BWGK as of January 2010 were 11,400 according to Nielsen Soundscan if anyone was interested.
    Good stuff. I wonder where that is in the realm of percentage of total sales, and also where it stacks up based on expectations.
    Old 08-11-2010, 08:17 AM   #543
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Not sure about expectations...maybe you can find that one out?

Worth nothing is that it only trailed Pearl Jam's Backspacer on vinyl by 100 copies at the end of the year, which is pretty great considering how big advocates of vinyl PJ are.

Probably sits around 1% of total sales as BWGK was certified platinum (one million) in September 2009. Wonder what a 24-bit Blu-ray Audio version would have sold in units by now?
    Old 08-23-2010, 08:25 PM   #544
    Millstone

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickyh24 View Post
    I have learned to live with the fact that it is labeled wrong. I really don't care at all anymore.
    Side D being off-centre is the deal killer for me.

Quote:
    Wonder what a 24-bit Blu-ray Audio version would have sold in units by now?
    Almost nothing. Not a lot of audiophiles, and then such a version is usually pirated on that site that rhymes with hem-on-oid.

also dobyblue do you have BTCS vinyl (y/n)?

Last edited by Millstone; 08-23-2010 at 08:29 PM.
    Old 08-24-2010, 06:19 AM   #545
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Millstone View Post
    Almost nothing. Not a lot of audiophiles, and then such a version is usually pirated on that site that rhymes with hem-on-oid.

also dobyblue do you have BTCS vinyl (y/n)?
    According to our industry insiders on Blu-ray.com the $300 Neil Young set sold well enough that they're okay with doing a Blu-ray version for his upcoming new album "Le Noise" (produced by Daniel Lanois) and repressed new copies of the $300 Archives set. In 2006 you only needed to move 20,00 0 copies of a Blu-ray title to break even, as per Richard Casey of R&B Films, so in 2010 I'm sure that number is more like 2,000. I have no doubt they would have sold enough to make it profitable, especially if they'd included a nice high rez 5.1 surround mix on the Blu-ray as well as the super deluxe video footage. It would have been my first choice, but that's no surprise!

The poll I did here showed that when it comes to deluxe reissues the most popular option was Blu-ray, then vinyl, then 2CD sets, then DVD+CD sets, then in last place "digital downloads or the current CD's are fine for me" - with over 500 people polled it was a decent survey of a non-audiophile community like AM.org.

I stopped looking for BTCS. I'm not willing to spend money on it when I'm 100% positive vinyl catalogue reissues are in the works for sometime in 2010 or 2011.
    Old 08-24-2010, 09:35 AM   #546
    Norman Smiley
    Fucking Douche

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    According to our industry insiders on Blu-ray.com the $300 Neil Young set sold well enough that they're okay with doing a Blu-ray version for his upcoming new album "Le Noise" (produced by Daniel Lanois) and repressed new copies of the $300 Archives set. In 2006 you only needed to move 20,00 0 copies of a Blu-ray title to break even, as per Richard Casey of R&B Films, so in 2010 I'm sure that number is more like 2,000. I have no doubt they would have sold enough to make it profitable, especially if they'd included a nice high rez 5.1 surround mix on the Blu-ray as well as the super deluxe video footage. It would have been my first choice, but that's no surprise!

The poll I did here showed that when it comes to deluxe reissues the most popular option was Blu-ray, then vinyl, then 2CD sets, then DVD+CD sets, then in last place "digital downloads or the current CD's are fine for me" - with over 500 people polled it was a decent survey of a non-audiophile community like AM.org.

I stopped looking for BTCS. I'm not willing to spend money on it when I'm 100% positive vinyl catalogue reissues are in the works for sometime in 2010 or 2011.

This is why I just sold mine.

"I do not read the reviews. No, I am not singing for you."
    Old 08-24-2010, 01:45 PM   #547
    BryH17

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Just got BWGK on vinyl a few days ago, because I just got a record player. Bought it from Best Buy.

I must say it might be the most messed up thing I've ever bought. First of all, side B says it has Squirm, Alligator Pie, and Seven (it is labeled side B though).... but really has Why I Am, Dive In and Spaceman... and Side C which claims to have Why I Am, Dive In and Spaceman really has Squirm, Alligator Pie, and Seven ... So i figured, oh well, it's mislabeled, as long as it has all the songs and sounds good, who cares... but nooooo...

Side D which claims to have Time Bomb, Baby Blue, and You and Me, really has Why I Am, Dive In and Spaceman on it (again)! Thus, I don't have 3 tracks! Not only that, but that disk is off center, so I get distorted sounds on those tracks as well. Going back to Best Buy very soon to return it. They'll probably let me exchange it, but I'm afraid all of their copies will have the same issues. So I might have to get it elsewhere.

Any suggestions on where to get a proper copy? Preferably with only paying around $15 (how much it was a Best Buy)
    Old 08-24-2010, 03:23 PM   #548
    Yield151

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BryH17 View Post
    Just got BWGK on vinyl a few days ago, because I just got a record player. Bought it from Best Buy.

I must say it might be the most messed up thing I've ever bought. First of all, side B says it has Squirm, Alligator Pie, and Seven (it is labeled side B though).... but really has Why I Am, Dive In and Spaceman... and Side C which claims to have Why I Am, Dive In and Spaceman really has Squirm, Alligator Pie, and Seven ... So i figured, oh well, it's mislabeled, as long as it has all the songs and sounds good, who cares... but nooooo...

Side D which claims to have Time Bomb, Baby Blue, and You and Me, really has Why I Am, Dive In and Spaceman on it (again)! Thus, I don't have 3 tracks! Not only that, but that disk is off center, so I get distorted sounds on those tracks as well. Going back to Best Buy very soon to return it. They'll probably let me exchange it, but I'm afraid all of their copies will have the same issues. So I might have to get it elsewhere.

Any suggestions on where to get a proper copy? Preferably with only paying around $15 (how much it was a Best Buy)

I bought mine from Best Buy (in SoCal) and mine was fine... but people I know who bought copies at the same Best Buy as me had the same problem .... kind of luck o the draw I guess
    Old 08-24-2010, 07:23 PM   #549
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BryH17 View Post

The side b/c issue was very common on the first pressing, but I've never heard of that SIDE D issue!

Grab a copy from Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/Big-Whiskey-Gr.../dp/B00269VW3C

It's $16.98 - add something else to get to $25 and you get free shipping.

Last copy I got from them, perfectly pressed dead centre and no mislabelling.
    Old 08-26-2010, 10:18 PM   #550
    Millstone

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Everyone says this like every year.

Quote:
    Last copy I got from them, perfectly pressed dead centre and no mislabelling.
    I should really get around to doing this.
    Old 10-23-2010, 07:31 AM   #551
    tuxman

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone have both the vinyl and cd? My copy of BWGK on vinyl seems to have a lot of sibilance. Could I have a bad pressing or is the vinyl mastered from the CD?
    Old 10-23-2010, 08:24 AM   #552
    tuxman

My Tour Central Stats

Quote from SeanRose.com

"For reference, here is a modern recording from CD, a track from Dave Matthews Band - Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King. This is a perfect illustration of why audiophiles despise the record companies — The Loudness Wars. This CD is so compressed in order to sound "loud" on a cheap stereo, that it has lost all resemblance to the original performance. There is a complete lack of dynamic range. For all purposes, the waveform is simply a rectangle. Whoever was responsible for this master, needs to find a different line of work, in my humble opinion, because they suck at their job"

Is this what I am hearing on my vinyl copy as sibilance?
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg wave-BWGK.jpg (58.0 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by tuxman; 10-23-2010 at 08:26 AM.
    Old 10-26-2010, 12:38 PM   #553
    tuxman

My Tour Central Stats

Vinyl is BETTER than cd

I discovered my old stylus was trashed. UPS just delivered my new stylus today. Just amazing. Sibilance is minimal (I really have to focus to hear any), the highs are clear, and bright, the bass has punch, vocals are warm and seperate from the music. Huge improvement.

Thank you Balifly over at audiokarma.org for recommending this stylus to me.

Here is what LP Gear had to say about this stylus:
    Considered the best among the N75 series styli, the replacement N75HE Type 2 stylus comes with a highly polished hyperelliptical diamond bonded to a thin wall metal alloy cantilever for precision tracing of record grooves thus resulting in very high fidelity of recorded material for critical listening and recording to digital. Designed to deliver ultimate performance, the N75HE fits all Shure M75 series cartridges and other select Shure cartridges and will upgrade the sound quality and performance of these cartridges.

Made in Japan using highest quality parts, advanced polishing technology, strict quality control over the entire manufacturing process and handcrafted by artisans who produce world class replacement styli renowned for their extraordinary sound quality.

Last edited by tuxman; 10-26-2010 at 12:41 PM.
    Old 10-26-2010, 05:01 PM   #554
    dayswonder
    good time for superman?

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

just something interesting with my vinyl and wondering if it has happened to anyone else

all of the songs are in the right order but on the second record the stickers on the actual vinyl are reversed,
    does anyone else have a vinyl like this?

Old 10-26-2010, 05:21 PM   #555
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tuxman View Post
    Anyone have both the vinyl and cd? My copy of BWGK on vinyl seems to have a lot of sibilance. Could I have a bad pressing or is the vinyl mastered from the CD?
    It's mastered from a separate 24-bit source as per Sterling Sound.

It's pretty squished to begin with, but boy they really did a number on the CD. The vinyl is definitely better, you can really hear it on Dive In and LITHOG. It's not a shining example of mastering done right, but it's a much more enjoyable sonic experience than the CD.

The difference between the CD and the vinyl is quite striking, here's a comparison between Why I Am:

1) The CD:

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/4...mparison50.png

Brickwalled to death! Clipping is not being viewed here, but there's plenty of it.

2) The vinyl:

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/139...mparison50.png

However the only DMB CD that's really worth mentioning when it comes to mastering is Stand Up. Dynamic Range Compression is at a minimum, so is clipping, brickwalling and limiting, not so with UTTAD, Crash, BTCS, Everyday and Busted Stuff.

I'll quote some of what I said on the Steve Hoffman forums a while back that illustrates the differences and shows just how much better Stand Up is than any other DMB CD, what a shame this isn't how the big three were mastered. Perhaps it should come as no surprise that the worst CD's, Everyday notwithstanding as Glen Ballard likely cocked that one up well before it got to Bob Ludwig, are all mastered by Ted Jensen @ Sterling Sound. Crash, UTTAD, BTCS and BWGK were all made worse in some way by Ted Jensen.

Crash suffers from a massive amount of clipping and is a prime example of the loudness war, whereas BTCS suffers from too much dynamic range compression. UTTAD is the most well-mastered of the big three, but Stand Up is actually better as there appears to be very little drc.

All examples here are from lossless 100% EAC rips of the original US CD releases.

UTTAD - Nancies

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/5...omparis.th.jpg

There really is no reason for this to be as loud as it is, but it's the best of the big three; limited use of compression and limiting because because there's no clipping and those peaks needed to go somewhere, decent amount of dynamic range.

Crash - Tripping Billies

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/3...omparis.th.jpg

Blech! Massive amounts of clipping, heck even Let You Down has clipping on it! DIDO, Two Much and Billies are the worst culprits. This album needs to be redone. It's the worst of the big three.

BTCS - Rapunzel

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/924...parison.th.jpg

I don't know, look at the last minute of this song, there seems to be no dynamics at all, it's too loud! This it what an Oasis record looks like.

Stand Up - Louisiana Bayou

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/3...parison.th.jpg

In comparison, Stand Up looks much more like UTTAD, there's no clipping, lots of dynamics which Nancies seems to lose in the louder parts of the songs, it's not perfect, but it looks better than Crash or BTCS to me.

Chinese Democracy - Shackler's Revenge

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/4...acklers.th.jpg

This is a heavy metal song - how come it looks so much better than any of the DMB examples? This is why I look forward to remastering all of the albums, DMB's dynamic should result in a more dynamic sound than a heavy metal band, they do in the live scenario. There's no excuse for it.
    Old 10-26-2010, 05:23 PM   #556
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dayswonder View Post
    just something interesting with my vinyl and wondering if it has happened to anyone else

all of the songs are in the right order but on the second record the stickers on the actual vinyl are reversed,
    does anyone else have a vinyl like this?
    Pretty much the first 5,000 pressings are probably like this. Usually they run 5,000 copies off each stamper and BWGK moved around 12,000 units last year on vinyl.

I have three copies, the first one had SIDE D pressed off centre so there were pitch fluctuations extremely noticeable during Baby Blue and SIDE B and SIDE C labels were backwards, the next pressing I bought had dead centred SIDE D and the labels were correct. I turned the first copy into a wall decoration that looks pretty cool.

It should also be noted the markings on the run out grooves were different on the second pressings, which means they may have been done at another facility?
    Old 10-27-2010, 11:06 AM   #557
    dayswonder
    good time for superman?

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Pretty much the first 5,000 pressings are probably like this. Usually they run 5,000 copies off each stamper and BWGK moved around 12,000 units last year on vinyl.

I have three copies, the first one had SIDE D pressed off centre so there were pitch fluctuations extremely noticeable during Baby Blue and SIDE B and SIDE C labels were backwards, the next pressing I bought had dead centred SIDE D and the labels were correct. I turned the first copy into a wall decoration that looks pretty cool.

It should also be noted the markings on the run out grooves were different on the second pressings, which means they may have been done at another facility?
    thanks for the information, i had no idea

Old 11-01-2010, 05:37 AM   #558
    MGH4007
    dim5

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It's mastered from a separate 24-bit source as per Sterling Sound.

It's pretty squished to begin with, but boy they really did a number on the CD. The vinyl is definitely better, you can really hear it on Dive In and LITHOG. It's not a shining example of mastering done right, but it's a much more enjoyable sonic experience than the CD.

The difference between the CD and the vinyl is quite striking, here's a comparison between Why I Am:

1) The CD:

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/4...mparison50.png

Brickwalled to death! Clipping is not being viewed here, but there's plenty of it.

2) The vinyl:

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/139...mparison50.png

However the only DMB CD that's really worth mentioning when it comes to mastering is Stand Up. Dynamic Range Compression is at a minimum, so is clipping, brickwalling and limiting, not so with UTTAD, Crash, BTCS, Everyday and Busted Stuff.

I'll quote some of what I said on the Steve Hoffman forums a while back that illustrates the differences and shows just how much better Stand Up is than any other DMB CD, what a shame this isn't how the big three were mastered. Perhaps it should come as no surprise that the worst CD's, Everyday notwithstanding as Glen Ballard likely cocked that one up well before it got to Bob Ludwig, are all mastered by Ted Jensen @ Sterling Sound. Crash, UTTAD, BTCS and BWGK were all made worse in some way by Ted Jensen.

Crash suffers from a massive amount of clipping and is a prime example of the loudness war, whereas BTCS suffers from too much dynamic range compression. UTTAD is the most well-mastered of the big three, but Stand Up is actually better as there appears to be very little drc.

All examples here are from lossless 100% EAC rips of the original US CD releases.

UTTAD - Nancies

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/5...omparis.th.jpg

There really is no reason for this to be as loud as it is, but it's the best of the big three; limited use of compression and limiting because because there's no clipping and those peaks needed to go somewhere, decent amount of dynamic range.

Crash - Tripping Billies

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/3...omparis.th.jpg

Blech! Massive amounts of clipping, heck even Let You Down has clipping on it! DIDO, Two Much and Billies are the worst culprits. This album needs to be redone. It's the worst of the big three.

BTCS - Rapunzel

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/924...parison.th.jpg

I don't know, look at the last minute of this song, there seems to be no dynamics at all, it's too loud! This it what an Oasis record looks like.

Stand Up - Louisiana Bayou

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/3...parison.th.jpg

In comparison, Stand Up looks much more like UTTAD, there's no clipping, lots of dynamics which Nancies seems to lose in the louder parts of the songs, it's not perfect, but it looks better than Crash or BTCS to me.

Chinese Democracy - Shackler's Revenge

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/4...acklers.th.jpg

This is a heavy metal song - how come it looks so much better than any of the DMB examples? This is why I look forward to remastering all of the albums, DMB's dynamic should result in a more dynamic sound than a heavy metal band, they do in the live scenario. There's no excuse for it.
    Always a good read! I do appreciate you're analysis of these.
    Old 11-01-2010, 07:08 AM   #559
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

No problem, and thank you.
    Not sure why it just linked the thumbnails...here's the larger ones for a closer look.

Nancies - http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/5...escomparis.jpg
    Too Much - http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/104...comparison.jpg
    Tripping Billies - http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/3...escomparis.jpg
    Rapunzel - http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/924...comparison.jpg
    Bayou - http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/3...comparison.jpg
    Old 12-24-2010, 09:56 PM   #560
    Millstone

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Does it have the STERLING stamp
    Old 12-24-2010, 09:59 PM   #561
    DJGeneral
    The GENERAL

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

I have 2 copies. they sent me a replacement of the first order because of the error. I don't know if the second is correct or the error because I didn't open the new one.
    Old 12-25-2010, 07:56 AM   #562
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Millstone View Post
    Does it have the STERLING stamp
    No the newer copies have neither the STERLING stamp nor RJ for Sterling Sound's main vinyl guy Ray Janos.
    Old 12-25-2010, 09:03 AM   #563
    Millstone

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    No the newer copies have neither the STERLING stamp nor RJ for Sterling Sound's main vinyl guy Ray Janos.
    it is a mystery
    Old 01-14-2011, 10:33 AM   #564
    jnevitt23

Shows Seen: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I had put together some information on turntables and phono preamps for a fellow poster so I thought I'd share the info here in case anyone finds it useful:

Turntables –
    1) entry-level @ $350

Goldring GR-1.2 - $350 - http://www.audiophileboutique.com/Goldring.html
    Comes with a Goldring Elektra cartridge which puts it above most of the other TT’s here, the table, tonearm, plinth and platter are all made by Rega and are no longer made as they were too much value and stealing business.
    Rega P1 - $395 - http://www.musicdirect.com/product/74202
    Music Hall MMF 2.1 - $350 - http://www.lptunes.com/product-p/mmf21.htm
    Pro-Ject Debut III - $349 - http://www.needledoctor.com/Pro-Ject...2&category=352
    The Pro-Ject and Rega both come with the Ortofon 5e cartridge, a good cartridge, but not quite as good as the Goldring. Most people would upgrade to the Ortofon Red cartridge which is around $99.

2) Intermediate level @ $700~$1000
    Goldring GR-2 – US$600 – http://www.audiophileboutique.com/Goldring.html
    The Goldring GR-2 comes with the awesome Goldring 1012GX cartridge which sells separately for around US$300. Truly the stylus is what makes this turntable special, it’s the one I own. The rest of the table is similar to the Rega P2 and made by Rega.
    Rega P3 Mk24 - $1,024 - http://www.musicdirect.com/product/72034
    Comes with the Rega Elys cartridge, sells for $895 sans cartridge. Cartridge = $295. The new Rega P3-24 has some really nice upgrades over previous years including a wider bearing for lower rumble and an improved motor and platter.
    Pro-Ject RM5 - $999 - http://www.musicdirect.com/product/80839
    Comes with the very nice Sumiko Blue Point cartridge, sweet table and sounds as good as it looks. Pro-Ject are fairly new to the TT game compared to some others listed here, but they’ve definitely produced some fantastic products and have quickly become one of the top sellers.
    Music Hall MMF5 - $629 - http://www.lptunes.com/product-p/mmf50.htm
    I don’t know how it’s priced so low, but including the same Goldring 1012GX cartridge and a glass platter this is hard to beat within this price range.
    Music Hall MMF5.1 - $875 - http://www.needledoctor.com/Music-Ha...2&category=351
    Includes the Goldring GL-2200 cartridge and upgrades to bearings, tonearm, etc., over the MMF5.

3) Advanced level @ $1,000~$2,000
    Music Hall MMF 7.1 – US$1,500 - http://www.needledoctor.com/Music-Ha...2&category=351
    Comes with the Goldring GL-2400 MM cartridge.
    Rega P5 - $1,400 - http://www.needledoctor.com/Rega-P5-...2&category=353
    With the Rega RB700 tonearm, 12mm glass platter
    Clearaudio Emotion - $2,000 - http://www.needledoctor.com/Clearaud...2&category=347
    Comes with the $1,000 Clearaudio Maestro cartridge – Clearaudio are in the top names in the TT business, this is pretty much their entry-level table.
    VPI Scout - $1,800 - http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo....mber=HW-SCOUT9
    Another big player, the VPI Scout is VPI’s most successful turntable.
    Pro-Ject RM-9 - $1,949 - http://www.needledoctor.com/Pro-Ject...2&category=352
    Comes with the Sumiko Blue Point #2 at this price, upgrade to Blue Point Special for $100 more

Phono Preamp –
    1) entry-level sub$200

Parasound Zphono - $150 - http://store.acousticsounds.com/brow...Title_ID=14948
    Rega Mini Fono - $145 - http://www.needledoctor.com/Rega-Fon...2&category=401
    Music Hall PA1.2 - $150 - http://www.musicdirect.com/product/84099
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKii - $159 - http://store.acousticsounds.com/brow...Title_ID=13112
    Cambridge Audio 640p - $179 - http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CA640P
    Goldring PA1 - $199 - http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MHGRPA1

2) Intermediate Level $200~$450
    Pro-Ject Phono Box SE - $329 - http://store.acousticsounds.com/brow...Title_ID=41773
    Rega Fono - $350 - http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo...umber=REFONOMM
    Clearaudio Nano - $349 - http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CLEANANO
    Graham Slee Gram Amp 2SE - $410 - http://www.lptunes.com/Graham-Slee-G...mp-p/ga2pp.htm
    The Graham is probably the best one at this level
    Creek OBH-15 - $449 - http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=OBH-15

3) Advanced Level $500~$1000
    Clearaudio Basic Plus - $900 - http://www.elusivedisc.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CLEABASS
    PS Audio GCPH - $1,000 - http://www.musicdirect.com/product/74122
    Pro-Ject Tube Box SEII - $700 - http://store.acousticsounds.com/brow...Title_ID=41770
    Grado PH1 - $500 - http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=GRPH1

Of course there are more levels than this and I don't just mean the ridiculous $300,000 turntables, but if anyone was looking for turntables in the $3,000~$5,000 or more I'd be happy to recommend some of those too, but I imagine most of our members here would be somewhere in this range.

Cheers!
    any update on this? it doesnt seem like the goldrings are available.
    Old 01-14-2011, 11:57 AM   #565
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah Rega stopped making the Goldrings and they were already running out when I compiled that list.

The rest of it should still be pretty accurate though. Also you may be able to find deals on Goldring, Rega, MMF, and all the other products listed there on the www.audiogon.com website.
    Old 07-13-2011, 07:13 PM   #566
    tripinbartender
    Chillin...

Shows Seen: 48

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone else's BWGK Vinyl mislabeled? What should be my "Side B" w/ Why I Am Dive In & Spaceman is actually labeled "Side C" w/ Squirm, Gator Pie & Seven
    Old 07-13-2011, 07:31 PM   #567
    rickyh24
    GOAT

Shows Seen: 76

My Tour Central Stats

Yes mine is and a shit ton of other peoples as well.
    Old 07-13-2011, 08:36 PM   #568
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickyh24 View Post
    Yes mine is and a shit ton of other peoples as well.
    I've heard you're more likely to find the mislabeled ones than correct ones.
    Old 07-14-2011, 05:35 AM   #569
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

Most new stock is correctly labelled and seems to have dead-centred SIDE D pressings as well unlike the original pressings. The newer stock also doesn't have STERLING stamped into the deadwax.

The current stock at Amazon seems to be the newer pressings.
    Old 07-14-2011, 05:24 PM   #570
    rickyh24
    GOAT

Shows Seen: 76

My Tour Central Stats

If I ever listened to this album I might think about picking up a newer version.