Thoughts on pit...up close and unenjoyeable - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion > DMB Tour Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 09-11-2010, 01:45 PM   #1
MrDaveBuchholz

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Thoughts on pit...up close and unenjoyeable

Ah, Boise...my first front row, on the rail, up close experience...and as long as they do "Pit", it will be my last. The whole DMB live show experience has always been this laid back, easy going thing that kinda had a relaxed ebb and flow to it. At Boise, I was blown away by just how many idiots have started following the band. We were pushed around in the pit by people trying to hold spots for people who hadn't even arrived, we had people try to cut in front of us in line, and a few other situations that were a bit mind boggling. I especially was amused by one person who was at the front of the line of the Warehouse gate, and they didn't even have a ticket yet, and after they purchased one from someone deeper back in the line, went right back to their spot? Really?
My favorite, however, was the woman in the WH line who was a few people in front of us (bear in mind we got into line at about 11:30). About ten minutes before the doors opened a group of about 15 or so people joined her in line, nearly doubleing our place in line. Her reason? "They had late flights, and some had to work." If getting up so close to see the show was so very important to them, maybe they should have considered taking a day off from work like I did, instead of weaseling their way up to join you with this cruddy tactic.
I don't mean to vent, but these experiences, plus a few that took place during the show, took away from the experience from alot of us who were genuinely looking forward to this show. There is some strange sense of entitlement worming its way into he heads of a group of people, making them think that for some reason they can reserve spots on the rail no matter when they get in line.
I hope that DMB learns from this and does away with the whole pit idea. Good for a select few, not for the many....
MrDaveBuchholz is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-11-2010, 02:35 PM   #2
    spoot388

Shows Seen: 94

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Thoughts on pit...up close and unenjoyeable

you were at a GA floor show, which is completely different (and much worse) than a pavilion with GA pit.

and if you were pissy about the people cutting in front of you, you should have found someone to take care of it. you didn't do anything to stop them, so quite your bitching about it.

Last edited by spoot388; 09-11-2010 at 02:36 PM.
    spoot388 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-11-2010, 02:58 PM   #3
    MrDaveBuchholz

My Tour Central Stats

So I am not allowed to bring up my unhappiness with the way people acted at this show? So much for it being an open forum. For the record, Jason, I'm not being pissy, just commenting on the way some people's attitudes have evolved over the past few years at these show.
    Old 09-11-2010, 03:02 PM   #4
    Foreverford05
    Let's go O's!

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

So im trying to get GA floor for the fall tour, you sayin thats a bad Idea?
    Foreverford05 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-11-2010, 03:05 PM   #5
    RiotAct

Shows Seen: 47

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foreverford05 View Post
    So im trying to get GA floor for the fall tour, you sayin thats a bad Idea?
    yes, very bad idea

07.18.2019 - R.I.P. Last Stop jam/reprise
    RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-11-2010, 03:09 PM   #6
    Foreverford05
    Let's go O's!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RiotAct View Post
    yes, very bad idea
    Okay, so it is a bad Idea. Now I need a few reasons why. These are things I need to know before Sept 25
    Old 09-11-2010, 03:13 PM   #7
    MrDaveBuchholz

My Tour Central Stats

Don't get me wrong, here...I wanted to voice my experience so others would hopefully not have it happen to them. As far as me finding "someone to take care of it," this may have been possible had the line not already been moving into the pavillion. It wasn't the great experience nearly all my other times have been at Dave shows...saw similiar happenings all three nights at the Gorge, too, by the way.
    Old 09-11-2010, 05:11 PM   #8
    dirtyjerz

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

i went to GA floor at citi both nights and thought it was fun, hot but fun.
    dirtyjerz is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-11-2010, 05:26 PM   #9
    coombse
    Salty, as fuck.

Shows Seen: 93

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

It's not DMB fans its people in general... what I suggest you do in the future when you're planning on "lining up" is :

1 Make friends- immediately band together with the people around you that line cutting and "saving spots" won't be tolerated...
    the person who did not have a ticket yet? Was in line, no??
    2. FIND SECURITY!!! Be their friend, ASK them if they're going to prevent problems.

It's unfortunate that its inevitable that the entitled ass bags show up and start a problem....

This is why I won't do a GA floor or stadium... pit>>? Absolutely... its a smaller group... usually.... I had zero issues at SPAC... other than the two gorillas formed a wall in front of me in row 2 dead center... so I just moved over a bit...

**Survivor 2016 Columbia River Tragedy**
    coombse is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-11-2010, 06:08 PM   #10
    Foreverford05
    Let's go O's!

My Tour Central Stats

Well being the last concert in a while, I think il just take my chances on the floor as close as possible. Maybe that will be bad
    Old 09-11-2010, 08:37 PM   #11
    Sniper15

Shows Seen: 115

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

I hear you bro. I think having GA Pits and GA floors is a shitty thing to do
    Old 09-11-2010, 08:55 PM   #12
    rickyh24
    GOAT

Shows Seen: 76

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Camden pit was horrible. I traded out of it for N2. It was way too packed.
    rickyh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-11-2010, 09:01 PM   #13
    groton
    true Grit

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Dave I'm sorry you had problems on the floor at Boise.. the only shows i did pit for this tour was N2 and N3 Gorge and really had no problems. there was a fight n3 in the pit started when someone tried to push up to the rail from the back of the pit. but beside that one incident everyone seemed to hold the line well.

ps it was great meeting you this past weekend Dave.
    groton is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-11-2010, 09:26 PM   #14
    spoot388

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrDaveBuchholz View Post
    So I am not allowed to bring up my unhappiness with the way people acted at this show? So much for it being an open forum. For the record, Jason, I'm not being pissy, just commenting on the way some people's attitudes have evolved over the past few years at these show.

but you are complaining about a "pit" which you weren't actually a part of. GA floor is completely different than a GA pit. i was on the rail at scranton and had a blast. it was a little tight, but very little pushing or moving. i was also in the middle of the field at hershey, which would have been awful had we not had a security barrier directly behind us.

you are complaining about something that only happened at like 20% of the shows. the rest of the tour, there were very few complaints about the way people acted.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foreverford05 View Post
    Okay, so it is a bad Idea. Now I need a few reasons why. These are things I need to know before Sept 25

GA floor is bad because there is like 4,000 people who are legally allowed to move wherever they want to, whether you are already there or not. security tries, but really has no control over what happens, especially in the middle. no matter what you do, if you are relatively close, people will sneak up and try to squeeze in. it becomes incredibly cramped. there is just way too many people in one area. it takes away from the overall enjoyment of the show because you are constantly being squished.

i really dont know what to do for the fall tour because i really did not like the GA field at Hershey. its only saving grace was being able to hide in front of a security barrier so no one would push us from behind. although we still got pushed back from in front, which put us right up against the barrier.
    Old 09-12-2010, 10:56 AM   #15
    MrDaveBuchholz

My Tour Central Stats

Point taken about the difference between "pit" & "GA Floor." I guess my point wasn't so much in regards to the Pit (or GA, as the case was), but more toward the people I was unfortunate enough to encounter.

I hope it was one of those isolated incidents, as you said, and I was in the wrong place at the wrong time...

Peace all
    Old 09-12-2010, 10:57 AM   #16
    MrDaveBuchholz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by groton View Post
    ps it was great meeting you this past weekend Dave.
    Was GREAT meeting you as well...!!
    Old 09-12-2010, 11:54 AM   #17
    shamrox317

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

The situation with the line in Boise, was more the fault of the venue security. I was about 20-25 people back from the door, got there at 2:30, and 10minutes before they opened the gate they started another line besides the one filled with long time waiters. That was really crappy, and a fault of the venue for asking people to come up and get wrist bands, then letting them come through the door. Also, I definitely agree with the people pushing and complete lack of respect, but have come to accept that as part of the floor experience at GA shows. Doesn't really matter what band, it's almost always like that. Which is why I will probably never do PIT, and only get seats at the Gorge from now on. Too many douche nozzles out there!
    shamrox317 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-12-2010, 06:39 PM   #18
    FriendsofDave

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

You really got to band together with the people you're around in line all day. We did the floor in Boise and showed up at 8:00am...there was already a couple of groups of people waiting so we just made friends...we ran into them again at the gorge and had another great night on the rail there as well...Once you are in the crowd take a notice of people around you and befriend them and make just make sure you are all helping each other and to try and keep people from just sneaking their way into your space in the crowd.
    FriendsofDave is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-12-2010, 07:01 PM   #19
    dirtyjerz

My Tour Central Stats

another point i'd make is, don't make a problem where there isn't one and don't allow problems to become. if you see someone walk past you, and then come back ten minutes later, let them pass, don't make a big stink about people brushing up against you or walking past you.

this was a big problem at citi N1, luckily the guy in front of us had just returned from active duty and was there with his wife. he was very friendly and said "you watch our back, we'll watch yours" and it was true the whole night. he even thanked me and my buddy for not being "typical teenagers" at a concert. it resulted in a great experience for all involved.
    Old 09-12-2010, 07:43 PM   #20
    DMBzilla
    tour.

Shows Seen: 193

DMB Hub Stubs: 36

My Tour Central Stats

The only way the floor could be bearable for an arena show would be if they sectioned it off like they did at Hershey into a front and back GA with a divider in the middle. It won't happen, but I've seen where this has been done at shows and it's incredibly successful -- get there just early enough to be in the front section and you can chill in the back, have plenty of room to move around, and still be like 25th row.

I really don't get the point of GA other than the ability to sell more tickets. I was in the pit at Scranton and even in the back it was crowded -- bearable, but crowded -- and we had to deal with idiots from the seats trying to sneak into the pit all night. I felt bad for the many miserable looking people at Camden, and have never seen a pit as jam packed as that in all of my show going experiences, DMB or otherwise. It hasn't raised the energy level at all, because at most shows people just smash themselves into the front and no one can move, let alone dance, even if they wanted to.
    DMBzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-12-2010, 08:17 PM   #21
    david_whyatt

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

There will always be douche bags and friends saving friends spots, I mean what do you do after your 3rd or fourth beer and have to piss? Iwas just in the pit in both Houston and Dallas. Dallas pit was about 3x bigger than houston and I actually had a better experience, but I also wasnt as worried about trying to be as close as possible.
    Old 09-12-2010, 08:27 PM   #22
    DMBzilla
    tour.

Shows Seen: 193

DMB Hub Stubs: 36

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by david_whyatt View Post
    There will always be douche bags and friends saving friends spots, I mean what do you do after your 3rd or fourth beer and have to piss? Iwas just in the pit in both Houston and Dallas. Dallas pit was about 3x bigger than houston and I actually had a better experience, but I also wasnt as worried about trying to be as close as possible.
    As others have said, Pit and a GA floor at an arena show are two very different things. Most people have had pretty good experiences in the pit this summer. Most people have had tons of complaints about GA floors (i.e. Citi Field, Boise, etc).
    DMBzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-12-2010, 08:58 PM   #23
    dirtyjerz

My Tour Central Stats

is GA floor at indoor venues the same as stadiums?

i'm already prepared for the sweatfest, but was wondering if the experience is basically the same.
    Old 09-12-2010, 09:04 PM   #24
    spoot388

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dirtyjerz View Post
    is GA floor at indoor venues the same as stadiums?

i'm already prepared for the sweatfest, but was wondering if the experience is basically the same.

yes. its a 4,000 person free-for-all.
    Old 09-12-2010, 10:48 PM   #25
    dirtyjerz

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spoot388 View Post
    yes. its a 4,000 person free-for-all.
    just gotta make friends and hold your ground, if you're surrounded by people you think will be a problem, move.

thanks.
    Old 09-13-2010, 09:09 AM   #26
    jarocknroll

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

[QUOTE=dirtyjerz;11753727]just gotta make friends and hold your ground, if you're surrounded by people you think will be a problem, move. [QUOTE=dirtyjerz;11753727]

great point, since you don't have seats it's real easy to move. there's no point to sit a stew and ruin your show.

and folks, assholes in GA have been around for decades, just listen to some early grateful dead where the band would ask the crowd to take a step back to avoid crushing people up front. actually it wouldn't be a bad idea if dave addressed the crowd during the show and simply said, "be cool and respect your neighbor." i think people would listen.
    jarocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-14-2010, 11:07 AM   #27
    npm352

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

I was at the Boise show and was almost at the front of the line. Sorry it was so unenjoyable.

I think there is a big difference in saving a spot in line for your buddy and saving spots for 15 people. That's crap. People tried that when I was in line at Vanderbilt and I told them that they could get anywhere in line as long as it wasn't in front of me. I'm not that big, but they could tell I was pissed and then people behind me started with the same. They went to the end of the line. Make friends around you and discuss that.

As for the people in the front getting tickets, they had already arranged that sale before the show and just chose to do it midday. And even if they just got in line and then found a WH GA ticket I don't see the problem. They were they first. No rule says that you have to have your ticket to get in line early.

I had a blast at Boise, but it was not the same as shows in the midwest. It honestly wasn't as bad as far as the number of D-Bags go. That's part of GA and I personally wouldn't trade that because I've done it four times and each time I've been right in front of Dave on the rail. Not much can ruin the night at that point IMO.

When PIT was announced people were SCREAMING bloody murder on these boards and thought that ther would be dead Dave fans carted off at each show. Turns out that was not the case. And although I haven't been in the pit for a pit show, everything I've heard is that it isn't near as bad as GA floor. To each his own.

-Nick (the guy with the #40 sign at Boise)
    npm352 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-14-2010, 11:11 AM   #28
    ProudMonkey65
    Z. Sprayberry

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Having GA Floor is like Putting a section of the Lawn in the middle of reserved seating.
    "We were playing at this festival, and Dylan was playing at the festival. Then Dylan came up to me after he finished his set and we were about to go on, and he said, "Are you gonna play Watchtower?" and I said, no no I'm not gonna play 'cause your here. And he said, "well I didn't play it 'cause your here!." -DM 05.15.2006
    ProudMonkey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-14-2010, 11:24 AM   #29
    Kevaroo
    I'm the .1%

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrDaveBuchholz View Post
    Ah, Boise...my first front row, on the rail, up close experience...and as long as they do "Pit", it will be my last. The whole DMB live show experience has always been this laid back, easy going thing that kinda had a relaxed ebb and flow to it. At Boise, I was blown away by just how many idiots have started following the band. We were pushed around in the pit by people trying to hold spots for people who hadn't even arrived, we had people try to cut in front of us in line, and a few other situations that were a bit mind boggling. I especially was amused by one person who was at the front of the line of the Warehouse gate, and they didn't even have a ticket yet, and after they purchased one from someone deeper back in the line, went right back to their spot? Really?
    My favorite, however, was the woman in the WH line who was a few people in front of us (bear in mind we got into line at about 11:30). About ten minutes before the doors opened a group of about 15 or so people joined her in line, nearly doubleing our place in line. Her reason? "They had late flights, and some had to work." If getting up so close to see the show was so very important to them, maybe they should have considered taking a day off from work like I did, instead of weaseling their way up to join you with this cruddy tactic.
    I don't mean to vent, but these experiences, plus a few that took place during the show, took away from the experience from alot of us who were genuinely looking forward to this show. There is some strange sense of entitlement worming its way into he heads of a group of people, making them think that for some reason they can reserve spots on the rail no matter when they get in line.
    I hope that DMB learns from this and does away with the whole pit idea. Good for a select few, not for the many....
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spoot388 View Post
    you were at a GA floor show, which is completely different (and much worse) than a pavilion with GA pit.

and if you were pissy about the people cutting in front of you, you should have found someone to take care of it. you didn't do anything to stop them, so quite your bitching about it.

Don't mind spoot, he's a douche bag.
    Kevaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-15-2010, 09:41 PM   #30
    pato

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

i loved it, but im 18 and love that kinof shit i can imagine when im a little older i wont want to tolerate idiot teenagers pushing n such

SteelersPenguinsPiratesPITT PanthersLakersOU
    pato is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
    boise , crowd , line , pit , tickets