Peter Gabriel - Scratch My Back - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 03-05-2010, 07:19 PM   #31
stephhenge

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Peter Gabriel - Scratch My Back

I bought this cd today, Pete's first release in 8 years. All cover songs (i.e. Bowie, Paul Simon, Radiohead, Neil Young), but morphed into Peter Gabriel sounds. I am so glad I did, wow, this is fantastic. No drums, no guitars- but strings, orchestra, piano under Peter's soulfull voice. The music is incredibly rich sounding, for those of you like me who like acoustic, bare-boned stripped down to the core sounds, check this out if you have a chance, he sounds better than he ever has (if that is even possible). The arrangements too on this are fantastic, very string heavy. For fellow musicians here, you will appreciate and love this album. For those who loved and thought the Kronos Quartet brought so much beauty on BTCS as I did, you will definately love this cd
stephhenge is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-30-2011, 06:34 AM   #32
    Jibiti

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Saw him last night at Summerfest, him and the orchestra were great, and was awesome to have members of the Milwaukee Symphony perform with him. Makes me excited for the New Blood album.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smudge1
    Smudge really needs to buy some beer and weed. If you can find it in your heart, please a small donation is all I ask. PM me for details.
    Jibiti is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-30-2011, 08:45 AM   #33
    UTTAD83
    Mr. Rodgers

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jibiti View Post
    Saw him last night at Summerfest, him and the orchestra were great, and was awesome to have members of the Milwaukee Symphony perform with him. Makes me excited for the New Blood album.

That show was amazing! I was there last night too, too bad the music on the side stage kept coming over the top of the lawn, that was pretty annoying. Otherwise, I was blown away by the performance.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bila View Post
    i went to bed at 6pm cuz i was so high from smoking too much of this good weed. you cant overdose, you can just pass out.
    UTTAD83 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-11-2011, 05:06 AM   #34
    aronofsky41
    I am MistreatedLewis

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

So "New Blood" is out today. Anyone else thinking of picking this album up.

I'm a sucker for reinterpreting your own work. That's probably why I have 50 versions of Seek Up in my itunes...
    aronofsky41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-11-2011, 05:33 AM   #35
    DrewD55

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aronofsky41 View Post
    So "New Blood" is out today. Anyone else thinking of picking this album up.

I'm a sucker for reinterpreting your own work. That's probably why I have 50 versions of Seek Up in my itunes...
    I'm not a big fan of this orchestral kick he's been on, but I'll give it a listen. I'd just love to see him get back to making new music; he's done so much more interesting stuff. Even the lesser-known and less successful albums he's put out in the past 10 years (besides a couple of movie scores, there was his millennium project, called Ovo, and another one called Big Blue Ball) were more interesting than Scratch My Back was. That put me to sleep. Peter recorded more than 100 new songs in the 10-year process of making UP. There's a few albums to be found in there, I think.
    Old 10-11-2011, 05:35 AM   #36
    aronofsky41
    I am MistreatedLewis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrewD55 View Post
    I'm not a big fan of this orchestral kick he's been on, but I'll give it a listen. I'd just love to see him get back to making new music; he's done so much more interesting stuff. Even the lesser-known and less successful albums he's put out in the past 10 years (besides a couple of movie scores, there was his millennium project, called Ovo, and another one called Big Blue Ball) were more interesting than Scratch My Back was. That put me to sleep. Peter recorded more than 100 new songs in the 10-year process of making UP. There's a few albums to be found in there, I think.
    Yeah, I'd like to see PG release more original work as well.
    Old 10-11-2011, 05:37 AM   #37
    barbogast
    Two's a Perfect Number

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

OP's username is awesome. That is all

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JRS1386 View Post
    I sort of want the Caps to win because Barbs is awesome
    barbogast is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-11-2011, 07:59 AM   #38
    UTTAD83
    Mr. Rodgers

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I saw him over the summer and was blown away by the live show. It was really cool to see the different arrangements he did for some of his songs. It's worth a listen imo.

Quote:
    i went to bed at 6pm cuz i was so high from smoking too much of this good weed. you cant overdose, you can just pass out.
    Old 10-11-2011, 10:40 AM   #39
    moosicmaniac

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

I've listened to New Blood. I think it's cool that he gave PG3 some representation on it, but I would have gladly traded Intruder or Wallflower for Signal To Noise, but I guess we'll get that on the New Blood London DVD. I'd say the highlights of the album are San Jacinto, Red Rain, and Digging in the Dirt, which works better than I expected it to.
    moosicmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-11-2011, 12:20 PM   #40
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Scratch My Balls. I hated that record.

But I love Peter Gabriel, so I'm willing to give New Blood a shot, even though I'm pretty sure I'll hate it, too.
    coldengrey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-11-2011, 12:24 PM   #41
    DrewD55

My Tour Central Stats

About to put this on now. I like the tracklisting pretty well, so I'm hoping it comes out well, too.
    Old 10-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #42
    DrewD55

My Tour Central Stats

Just finished the album, and it's miles better than Scratch My Back was. That album was so subdued that it barely had a pulse; this one has some life to it. As for the album itself, it's fine, I guess. The orchestral arrangements mostly do the songs justice (although the strings playing David Rhodes' guitar riff on "In Your Eyes" sounded ridiculous to me for some reason, sort of like a high school band covering pop songs), and Peter's singing as well as ever. Was not a fan of his duet partner on "Don't Give Up", and his daughter Melanie, who does most of the female backing vocals, is not even in the same ballpark vocally as others who have held that role (Sinead O'Connor, Kate Bush, Paula Cole).

The biggest strength is obviously the songs, which were a good selection, especially because the choices were not all obvious ones. Melt and Scratch are both represented, and neither is known for its individual songs. Thing is, the songs were already good, and while the orchestra doesn't do a disservice to them, it doesn't really enhance them much, either (although "San Jacinto" and "Red Rain" are both particularly strong), since the originals were so rich in their arrangements and instrumentation, which is always going to be more interesting to me than a standard orchestra. As such, the album is enjoyable, but wholly unnecessary.

3/5 stars

I was reading up on this on wikipedia and noticed another album in Peter's chronology after this one, which I'd all but forgotten about, mostly because it was announced not long after UP. Bring on I/O (Input/Output) soon, please. New material is needed, and this one's been sitting on the shelf for seven years now.

Last edited by DrewD55; 10-11-2011 at 01:54 PM.
    DrewD55 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-11-2011, 02:08 PM   #43
    aronofsky41
    I am MistreatedLewis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Just finished the album, and it's miles better than Scratch My Back was. That album was so subdued that it barely had a pulse; this one has some life to it. As for the album itself, it's fine, I guess. The orchestral arrangements mostly do the songs justice (although the strings playing David Rhodes' guitar riff on "In Your Eyes" sounded ridiculous to me for some reason, sort of like a high school band covering pop songs), and Peter's singing as well as ever. Was not a fan of his duet partner on "Don't Give Up", and his daughter Melanie, who does most of the female backing vocals, is not even in the same ballpark vocally as others who have held that role (Sinead O'Connor, Kate Bush, Paula Cole).

The biggest strength is obviously the songs, which were a good selection, especially because the choices were not all obvious ones. Melt and Scratch are both represented, and neither is known for its individual songs. Thing is, the songs were already good, and while the orchestra doesn't do a disservice to them, it doesn't really enhance them much, either (although "San Jacinto" and "Red Rain" are both particularly strong), since the originals were so rich in their arrangements and instrumentation, which is always going to be more interesting to me than a standard orchestra. As such, the album is enjoyable, but wholly unnecessary.

3/5 stars

I was reading up on this on wikipedia and noticed another album in Peter's chronology after this one, which I'd all but forgotten about, mostly because it was announced not long after UP. Bring on I/O (Input/Output) soon, please. New material is needed, and this one's been sitting on the shelf for seven years now.
    Nice review from a PG fan - thanks for sharing man.
    Old 10-11-2011, 02:16 PM   #44
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Just finished the album, and it's miles better than Scratch My Back was. That album was so subdued that it barely had a pulse; this one has some life to it.
    That was my big problem to it. Every song was boring in the same way.

It looks like there's more hope for New Blood, which I'm about to spin. This sums up my thoughts going in: http://www.motivationalz.com/picture...ical_hippo.jpg
    Old 10-11-2011, 04:40 PM   #45
    DrewD55

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coldengrey12 View Post
    That was my big problem to it. Every song was boring in the same way.

It looks like there's more hope for New Blood, which I'm about to spin. This sums up my thoughts going in: http://www.motivationalz.com/picture...ical_hippo.jpg
    I don't think you'll be disappointed. I gave the album 3 stars, but I did like it for what it was. The songs are inherently great, and this was just a new spin on them that works quite a lot of the time. The drawbacks were as I said: the female vocals were not quite up to snuff, one or two arrangements sounded kind of off, and it didn't need to be done. Again, bring on I/O!!! I was a big fan of UP, just because of how challenging it was, especially since it came on the heels of SO and US, which were more pop-oriented (that being said, "Darkness", from that album, was one of the weaker tracks on New Blood; I'd have gone with "Signal to Noise", myself, although it's hard to replace Ali Khan on the vocals at the end of it, and he's dead now, so...).

Last edited by DrewD55; 10-11-2011 at 04:43 PM.
    DrewD55 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-11-2011, 05:29 PM   #46
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I don't think you'll be disappointed. I gave the album 3 stars, but I did like it for what it was. The songs are inherently great, and this was just a new spin on them that works quite a lot of the time. The drawbacks were as I said: the female vocals were not quite up to snuff, one or two arrangements sounded kind of off, and it didn't need to be done. Again, bring on I/O!!! I was a big fan of UP, just because of how challenging it was, especially since it came on the heels of SO and US, which were more pop-oriented (that being said, "Darkness", from that album, was one of the weaker tracks on New Blood; I'd have gone with "Signal to Noise", myself, although it's hard to replace Ali Khan on the vocals at the end of it, and he's dead now, so...).
    I was hit and miss on Up. Some of it felt a little too indulgent (like The Barry Williams Show), but I liked other aspects of it. I think the mix of Growing Up that is on the hits collection shows what a good song it is.

New Blood is miles better than Scratch My Back, but not something I'm likely to revisit too many times. A neat experiment, I suppose, but an unnecessary one. I think Red Rain works really well. I definitely felt like Don't Give Up and In Your Eyes were lacking.
    Old 10-11-2011, 06:05 PM   #47
    DrewD55

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I was hit and miss on Up. Some of it felt a little too indulgent (like The Barry Williams Show), but I liked other aspects of it. I think the mix of Growing Up that is on the hits collection shows what a good song it is.

New Blood is miles better than Scratch My Back, but not something I'm likely to revisit too many times. A neat experiment, I suppose, but an unnecessary one. I think Red Rain works really well. I definitely felt like Don't Give Up and In Your Eyes were lacking.
    "Barry Williams Show" sounded like someone at Geffen Records was pleading with Peter to record something that sounded halfway like a single from SO or US that they could release (which they did--the only one on the album), rather than something that he would have otherwise included. "Growing Up"--I've never actually listened to HIT, so I haven't heard the alternate mix--but I liked the one on the album plenty. As far as New Blood goes, you and I are on the exact same page.
    Old 10-13-2011, 08:36 PM   #48
    stephhenge

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by opshannon View Post
    .. Mirrorball is just fantastic.
    agreed. best cover ~ also like his version of The Book Of Love, sweetness

From New Blood:

Downside Up = great

In Your Eyes- time signatures, off, weird, nice change of arrangements, the more I listen, the more I love the offness of it

Digging In The Dirt- nice, but like the Us version better
    Old 10-13-2011, 09:32 PM   #49
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    "Barry Williams Show" sounded like someone at Geffen Records was pleading with Peter to record something that sounded halfway like a single from SO or US that they could release (which they did--the only one on the album), rather than something that he would have otherwise included. "Growing Up"--I've never actually listened to HIT, so I haven't heard the alternate mix--but I liked the one on the album plenty. As far as New Blood goes, you and I are on the exact same page.
    Problem solved: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIIAbPUBBP0

I like the original, too. And I agree about "Barry Williams." Still. Not one of his finest efforts.
    Old 10-13-2011, 09:43 PM   #50
    aronofsky41
    I am MistreatedLewis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Problem solved: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIIAbPUBBP0

I like the original, too. And I agree about "Barry Williams." Still. Not one of his finest efforts.
    I know everyone hates it, but I kind of like Barry Williams. The chorus is pretty catchy. I don't think it's a masterpiece or anything.

Don't Give Up and Mercy Street - those are masterpieces, however.
    Old 10-13-2011, 09:48 PM   #51
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aronofsky41 View Post
    I know everyone hates it, but I kind of like Barry Williams. The chorus is pretty catchy. I don't think it's a masterpiece or anything.

Don't Give Up and Mercy Street - those are masterpieces, however.
    Well, yeah. You pretty much hate America and freedom if you don't like those two songs.

... Which is funny because Peter Gabriel isn't American. Hmm.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:49 PM   #52
    aronofsky41
    I am MistreatedLewis

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Well, yeah. You pretty much hate America and freedom if you don't like those two songs.

... Which is funny because Peter Gabriel isn't American. Hmm.

Yep! And babies. You hate babies too. And puppies.
    Old 10-15-2011, 07:34 AM   #53
    Jibiti

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by moosicmaniac View Post
    I've listened to New Blood. I think it's cool that he gave PG3 some representation on it, but I would have gladly traded Intruder or Wallflower for Signal To Noise, but I guess we'll get that on the New Blood London DVD. I'd say the highlights of the album are San Jacinto, Red Rain, and Digging in the Dirt, which works better than I expected it to.
    There's a studio version of Signal to Noise on the iTunes edition, also one for Father, Son through PG's website.
    Quote:
    Smudge really needs to buy some beer and weed. If you can find it in your heart, please a small donation is all I ask. PM me for details.
    Old 10-15-2011, 08:57 AM   #54
    UTTAD83
    Mr. Rodgers

My Tour Central Stats

Really disappointed there's no version of Biko. That song was one of my favorites from when I saw him.

Quote:
    Old 10-15-2011, 10:50 AM   #55
    Elliott Evans
    Custom User Title

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

The bonus cut of Blood of Eden is fantastic.
    Elliott Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-15-2011, 11:14 AM   #56
    ThatLetter

Shows Seen: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Really love his voice on this CD. It's too bad he's so damn lazy about new music and so allergic to his time with Genesis. There were some lulz somewhere (iTunes?) in a comment thanking him for blowing off the RR HOF induction and any Genesis get together so that he could focus on working on this piece of shit.

I don't think this is a piece of shit, but it will only get a few listens before I'm done with it for a long long time.

Anybody watch his full moon club videos each month. That SOB is in Sardinia on holiday about every two months. I guess he's not driven to make new music anymore.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scrock25 View Post
    Jesus Christ justink just shut the fuck up for once. Why does everything with you turn into an argument?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blaise34 View Post
    CNN headline - Court gives baker narrow win in gay wedding cake case
    7-2 is narrow now
    ThatLetter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-15-2011, 11:45 AM   #57
    Elliott Evans
    Custom User Title

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Sting is the same way. No new proper studio album since 2003. But plenty of lute recordings, orchestral reinventions and seasonal songs.

I'm not complaining, just wish they'd both put out some new material.

At least Tom Waits is practically silent during his off-seasons. He tours occasionally, sure, but at least he's not putting out reinventions of one kind or another. Though he does have that E.P. w/ the Kronos Quartet that blows anything similar Sting or Peter Gabriel have done out of the water.
    Elliott Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-03-2011, 08:55 PM   #58
    stephhenge

My Tour Central Stats

Don't Give Up - Cello

sweet! don't remember these beautiful strings on So, perfect
    Old 04-25-2012, 03:53 PM   #59
    DrewD55

My Tour Central Stats

Saw that the 2-disc Live Blood came out yesterday. I enjoyed New Blood a fair bit, so I'm curious. Anyone heard it?
    Old 05-22-2012, 09:04 PM   #60
    Jibiti

My Tour Central Stats

'Back to Front: So Live' this fall:

16 Sep Colisee Pepsi Quebec City, QC
    18 Sep Bell Centre Montreal, QC
    19 Sep Air Canada Centre Toronto, ON
    21 Sep Wells Fargo Center Philadelphia, PA
    23 Sep Nikon at Jones Beach Wantaugh, NY
    24 Sep TD Garden Boston, MA
    26 Sep Palace of Auburn Hills Detroit, MI
    27 Sep United Center Chicago, IL
    30 Sep Red Rocks Denver, CO
    2 Oct HP Pavilion San Jose, CA
    5 Oct Planet Hollywood Showroom Las Vegas, NV
    6 Oct Hollywood Bowl Los Angeles, CA
    9 Oct Santa Barbara County Bowl Santa Barbara, CA
    **Additional dates could be announced and itinerary subject to change.

http://petergabriel.com/media/articl...versary-of-so/

Would be awesome if he came to Milwaukee again, otherwise I'll try for the Chicago date.
    Quote: