The Gorge Q&A and FAQs - Page 31 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 09-03-2016, 04:47 PM   #901
CapnHani06
Go Hoos

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The Gorge Q&A and FAQs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbolp View Post
Periscope links will be posted in the setlist thread
Cool, thanks! Is this typically the whole show or just whichever part the Periscoper chooses to start streaming?
- Sean
CapnHani06 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-23-2017, 10:02 AM   #902
    mo11217

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Thank you guys so much for this thread and putting that FAQ guide together. It has been great reading all this and has been a huge help. We are in the early stages of putting together a plan to head to the Gorge in 2018 for the first time (provided DMB is there of course).

What is security like when you pull into the camp grounds? Do they make everyone get out of the vehicles and look through bags and coolers? Or do they only check bags when you enter the actual venue?
    mo11217 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-23-2017, 10:22 AM   #903
    dmbolp
    GO GATORS!!!

Shows Seen: 150

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Have never experienced or heard of a vehicle search at camping entrance, just the pat down at the show gates
    Old 04-04-2017, 01:56 PM   #904
    mYeAgZ55

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quick question,

Looking to attend the Gorge for the weekend of the John Mayer (July 21st)/Jack Johnson (July 22nd) shows. We are going to camp, and obviously there are two different camping packages. Mayer's is from the 20th to the 22nd, JJ from the 21st to the 23rd.

I should buy the camping for the JJ show correct? Hence, does buying the camping and checking in around 4:00 give a me enough time to set up and wander in to the Mayer show on Friday?

Also, is there an option to just buy a terrace camping spot from the 20th to the 23rd?

Thanks, sorry if I confused anyone.
    Old 04-04-2017, 02:12 PM   #905
    laverwater

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Not really sure why the other thread was locked, seeing as this is not DMB related, and would require Gorge experience outside of Labor Day Weekend.

Nonetheless, great questions. I haven't done separate concerts on the same weekend, so perhaps someone can help me out here, but can they really go and make any cars already there for JM leave if they don't have a JJ pass? Seems like a lot of work for such a large venue.

If not, I recommend getting the Mayer camping and just staying. If you aren't planning on arriving until after 3PM on the 21st, I'd just buy the Jack Johnson pass (I believe the campground typically opens at 3PM for shows the following day). If you show up sooner, I'd be surprised if they made you wait, if the campground is open already anyway.

Getting there at 4PM, you can probably get semi-unpacked and make it by showtime, but that's pushing it. If traffic is bad, it can make for a stressful time (have beers ready for the wait!). You'll also want as much time as you can get in that campground, so obviously the earlier the better.

If it's General camping, I'd say buy the earlier pass, and good luck to them tracking you down in there (unless it's two different roped off sections, in which case I'd just say move your car after it's parked or at night when they aren't enforcing). Terrace will have a much easier job policing, as there aren't many cars parked in terrace, but they still might not enforce it.
    laverwater is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-04-2017, 02:18 PM   #906
    laverwater

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Just looked, and at $95 per General Camping pass, I'd think that should work for the entire weekend. You can always try (emphasis on try) contacting them if you are concerned:

http://www.gorgecamping.com/contact/

I really don't think they'll enforce it, but if you are camping terrace, it's probably worth double checking, as that site is quite small. You may also be interested in Wildhorse Camping. People that stay there love it.
    laverwater is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-07-2017, 07:19 AM   #907
    mYeAgZ55

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Thanks a million for the advice! Really appreciate it!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by laverwater View Post
    Just looked, and at $95 per General Camping pass, I'd think that should work for the entire weekend. You can always try (emphasis on try) contacting them if you are concerned:

http://www.gorgecamping.com/contact/

I really don't think they'll enforce it, but if you are camping terrace, it's probably worth double checking, as that site is quite small. You may also be interested in Wildhorse Camping. People that stay there love it.
    Old 06-26-2017, 04:50 PM   #908
    mHeiser92

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

In the very early stages of planning my first Gorge trip in 2018(assuming DMB is there). At this stage I am planning on driving- all 26 hours/1800 miles! Anybody here who has made the journey from similar distances? Any advice for somebody crossing the country by car for the first time?

Mostly looking for support here to affirm that I am in fact not insane for considering the drive
    Old 06-26-2017, 06:23 PM   #909
    dmbolp
    GO GATORS!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Why Drive?
    Old 06-26-2017, 06:58 PM   #910
    mHeiser92

My Tour Central Stats

A few reasons. I've read through this thread and I've read the FAQ doc.

I planned on stopping a few times along the way. Taking in some sites and visiting some places I've never seen. Only time I've really been out west has been to Colorado. Lots of other places I'm wanting to see.

I've read all about packing tips when it comes to camping gear and traveling by plane. It still sounds like a pain in the ass to me. I have loaded my truck down for countless camping trips and really prefer to do it that way. I don't want to be forced to pack lighter than I would normally just because I have TSA and airline restrictions on weight and number of bags. Not to mention the cost of renting a car once landing in Washington.

I'm not completely against flying and obviously have not made my mind up this early in the game. Just my early thoughts. I'm sure somebody around here can present compelling arguments as to why I should reconsider.
    Old 06-26-2017, 08:09 PM   #911
    dmbolp
    GO GATORS!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Hey, if you've got the time, and want to see some sites along the way, driving makes sense to me. Now doing the drive from the east coast? No

Iowa is next to Washington, right?
    Old 06-28-2017, 02:24 PM   #912
    jenzzjetII
    JAYSWFT

Shows Seen: 90

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mHeiser92 View Post
    A few reasons. I've read through this thread and I've read the FAQ doc.

I planned on stopping a few times along the way. Taking in some sites and visiting some places I've never seen. Only time I've really been out west has been to Colorado. Lots of other places I'm wanting to see.

I've read all about packing tips when it comes to camping gear and traveling by plane. It still sounds like a pain in the ass to me. I have loaded my truck down for countless camping trips and really prefer to do it that way. I don't want to be forced to pack lighter than I would normally just because I have TSA and airline restrictions on weight and number of bags. Not to mention the cost of renting a car once landing in Washington.

I'm not completely against flying and obviously have not made my mind up this early in the game. Just my early thoughts. I'm sure somebody around here can present compelling arguments as to why I should reconsider.
    Your other option is to rent a gear package, but you'll need to reserve it as soon as dates are announced. The feedback on the rental company was really good. The website is in the FAQ.

The drive out would be pretty fun, but the drive home would be BRUTAL. I only have a 13 hour drive home and I usually split it into two days because I'm so exhausted/experiencing PGD. However, if you have time to stop along the way coming and going you could hit some gorgeous country. Moab is a fave of mine. Glacier Natl Park. C'oeur D'Alene in ID.

Gorge FAQ
    jenzzjetII is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2017, 06:21 PM   #913
    mHeiser92

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jenzzjetII View Post
    Your other option is to rent a gear package, but you'll need to reserve it as soon as dates are announced. The feedback on the rental company was really good. The website is in the FAQ.

The drive out would be pretty fun, but the drive home would be BRUTAL. I only have a 13 hour drive home and I usually split it into two days because I'm so exhausted/experiencing PGD. However, if you have time to stop along the way coming and going you could hit some gorgeous country. Moab is a fave of mine. Glacier Natl Park. C'oeur D'Alene in ID.
    The drive home would be incredibly brutal I can imagine. That is the biggest factor going against me and wanting to make the drive. But you are right, there's so much to see on the way.

I'm being nit picky but renting gear seems like a waste of money to me. Granted, I have no idea what a typical set up would run for the weekend. It may make more sense than the extra money I would spend myself for baggage fees packing my own. I can imagine the rentals go instantly once dates are announced.
    Old 07-04-2017, 09:13 AM   #914
    Bowa34
    JaMarcus Russell

Shows Seen: 85

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Be careful if you're Captaining a pontoon boat

Don't ask me to Captain your boat
    Bowa34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-17-2017, 02:20 PM   #915
    panini2001
    DMBritain

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Did the Gorge in 2014 flew in from the UK to Seattle hired a car, camped, all pretty straight forward however I'll be booking for Vancouver August 2018 and wondered if getting from Vancouver is okay when it comes to border crossing heading toward the Gorge. Will be booking these flights later this year before any tour announcement so just confirming Labour Day weekend will be the Gorge right?
    panini2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2017, 09:26 AM   #916
    jenzzjetII
    JAYSWFT

Shows Seen: 90

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by panini2001 View Post
    Did the Gorge in 2014 flew in from the UK to Seattle hired a car, camped, all pretty straight forward however I'll be booking for Vancouver August 2018 and wondered if getting from Vancouver is okay when it comes to border crossing heading toward the Gorge. Will be booking these flights later this year before any tour announcement so just confirming Labour Day weekend will be the Gorge right?
    One of the Canadians will have to chime in for sure, but I believe that it is very expensive to take a rental car across the border. Last year Lyz had a friend join them from BC and he took the train down so you could tour around Vancouver take the train to somewhere in WA and then rent your car. Plus the exchange rate has been more favourable for the US dollar.

Gorge FAQ
    jenzzjetII is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-20-2017, 02:17 PM   #917
    mHeiser92

My Tour Central Stats

In regards to flying with camping gear, I thought I remember seeing a post in here of somebody using a golf travel case to transport equipment.... Viable option? How much could I realistically fit in a golf case before hitting the weight limit. How much more expensive are those bulky cases to check than a normal sized bag?
    Old 07-20-2017, 02:26 PM   #918
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

I think Peter said he puts his shade tent in the golf case. I'm guessing that's just so the gorilla bag people don't break the legs. You can just check the shade tent on its own, not in a case though, if you don't want to buy a case. I would't use one just for misc equipment. Just use large duffel bags. I can fit enough camping shit for two people in two large duffels; then check the shade tent. I use collapsible coolers, so that saves on space too, as they can fit in the bottom of each duffel.

Last edited by ExistenceNow; 07-20-2017 at 02:28 PM.
    ExistenceNow is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-20-2017, 02:47 PM   #919
    mHeiser92

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah, after I posted that and started thinking, it didn't make much sense to me for anything except a shade tent to go into a golf case. I'm looking at everything over a year in advance obviously, but trying to get any luggage or bags I need lined up and find the best deals I can. Whenever I camp it's normally by way of loading my truck down however I want and not worrying about this sort of stuff
    Old 07-20-2017, 02:55 PM   #920
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

The duffels I use are the large ones that have wheels on one side and a retractable handle that comes out, so you can roll them.

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Coast...fel%2Bbag&th=1

Last edited by ExistenceNow; 07-20-2017 at 02:57 PM.
    ExistenceNow is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-01-2017, 10:52 AM   #921
    cpxc.

Shows Seen: 119

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0GhpxydQBw

just saw this on FB. A view from a drone over looking cave b and the venue. I thought it was pretty cool, esp for those of you that never been there.
    Old 09-04-2017, 07:18 AM   #922
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 99

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Can someone tell me when camping passes go on sale? I assume it is generally AFTER the tour/shows are announced, correct? I tried to look through that PDF and it contained a ton of helpful information but I could not find on sale dates. I just want to make sure I don't miss out on reservations, etc... because I waited too long.
    Cscottrun is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-04-2017, 07:33 AM   #923
    dmbolp
    GO GATORS!!!

My Tour Central Stats

Wildhorse camping goes on sale shortly after the rumors come out, as early as DEC in past years

General, Premier, Terrace go on sale the same time concert tickets go on sale. Pro Tip: If there's a CITI presale for the shows, the camping link on LN/TM won't reflect a presale for camping, but there has been without notice in the past few years
    Old 09-04-2017, 01:08 PM   #924
    mHeiser92

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbolp View Post
    Wildhorse camping goes on sale shortly after the rumors come out, as early as DEC in past years

General, Premier, Terrace go on sale the same time concert tickets go on sale. Pro Tip: If there's a CITI presale for the shows, the camping link on LN/TM won't reflect a presale for camping, but there has been without notice in the past few years
    I have never used the Citi presale but what I've always heard is that the tickets are always willcalled and you have to bring that card and show at the box office to keep people from using cards that aren't theirs..? Not sure if that's true or not, but how does the presale work for the camping passes? They don't willcall those do they?
    Old 09-04-2017, 01:16 PM   #925
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mHeiser92 View Post
    I have never used the Citi presale but what I've always heard is that the tickets are always willcalled and you have to bring that card and show at the box office to keep people from using cards that aren't theirs..? Not sure if that's true or not, but how does the presale work for the camping passes? They don't willcall those do they?

TM pits are will-called for some shows, but that has nothing to do with the Citi presales specifically. It's not true that all Citi presale tickets are will-called.

Camping presale works just like a ticket presale; you log on to TM and buy a camping pass. They are not will-called.
    Old 09-04-2017, 01:28 PM   #926
    mHeiser92

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    TM pits are will-called for some shows, but that has nothing to do with the Citi presales specifically. It's not true that all Citi presale tickets are will-called.

Camping presale works just like a ticket presale; you log on to TM and buy a camping pass. They are not will-called.

I knew the camping pre sale and on sale are just the same as regular tickets. But there is no way a camping pass could ever be will-called, correct?
    Old 09-04-2017, 01:38 PM   #927
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

I mean, if they wanted to open the box office on Thursday just for camping people I guess they could. I don't see any reason why they would though, and they haven't in the past.
    Old 09-04-2017, 01:51 PM   #928
    mHeiser92

My Tour Central Stats

I don't personally have a Citi card but my sister does. I would like to use it to secure my camp ticket early on if camping is included on a presale. Just don't want to be screwed and have it will call

It really makes no sense to me that they would ever open the box office early for camping tickets

Last edited by mHeiser92; 09-04-2017 at 01:52 PM.
    mHeiser92 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-04-2017, 01:58 PM   #929
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

They definitely won't will-call it after the fact; you'll know before you buy if will-call is the only delivery option.
    Old 09-04-2017, 02:02 PM   #930
    mHeiser92

My Tour Central Stats

Good point. Completely forgot it makes you select delivery option at check out.

Have people had success in recent years with getting their first choice for camping on the presale? I'm less worried about getting tickets to the shows, mostly concerned about getting into premier