Progress updates - Stay on topic! - Page 207 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 05-16-2012, 11:31 PM   #6181
paulg83
Probably just rage

Shows Seen: 66

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Progress updates - Stay on topic!

Single drops tomorrow. Mark it, dude.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-16-2012, 11:31 PM   #6182
    blusi

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dankguitar View Post
    after debating it in my head for a while, I've decided I don't want to hear anymore new songs on the tour besides Mercy. Probably won't happen. But if they play half the album on the tour it will ruin all excitement for the new album. And I'm too impulsive to not go and listen to the live versions haha
    Or just release the album!

Zürich - München - Frankfurt - Paris
    blusi is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-16-2012, 11:34 PM   #6183
    SLYRIV

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by paulg83 View Post
    Single drops tomorrow. Mark it, dude.
    Highly unlikely, but it would be awesome..I thought we might get SOMETHING..like a album title. But I doubt it, I'm just looking forward to Friday's show to see what they play.
    SLYRIV is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-16-2012, 11:36 PM   #6184
    1yankeesfan

Shows Seen: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SLYRIV View Post
    Highly unlikely, but it would be awesome..I thought we might get SOMETHING..like a album title. But I doubt it, I'm just looking forward to Friday's show to see what they play.
    I feel the same way. I don't see them just dropping a single on us out of nowhere. Especially on a Thursday lol. I'm stoked to watch set lists this weekend

Really?
    1yankeesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-16-2012, 11:38 PM   #6185
    klumps13
    Big gulps huh?

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

"Happy Birthday Logan ! i can tell you there are very few power chords"

Any of you see that? in response to logan asking about tim playing electric or acoustic... Could this album really bring us back that much =O
    klumps13 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-16-2012, 11:45 PM   #6186
    SLYRIV

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by klumps13 View Post

Any of you see that? in response to logan asking about tim playing electric or acoustic... Could this album really bring us back that much =O
    Yeah I saw that, I was going to mention it but I forgot. Thats a good sign.
    SLYRIV is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-17-2012, 12:15 AM   #6187
    pmcox3333

Shows Seen: 90

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

I really am pretty shocked at the lack of information from the band on the album. (considering it's been done for a month give or take) Regardless of when it's dropping, I guess I just figured they would have announced something prior to the tour. I know stefan mentioned that this is the way it works and that we are just spoiled by the internet/twitter age where we learn info sooner than we used to but that being the case I would think management would be more "up to speed."

I'm not sure what I was expecting but I know it was more than nothing, lol.
    Old 05-17-2012, 12:31 AM   #6188
    dvalukis
    Em7Sus4

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by klumps13 View Post

This is actually pretty huge news. Hoping for at least a cross between BW and BTCS. If not something just totally mind-blowing.

dvalukis is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-17-2012, 05:48 AM   #6189
    bigbeartilidie

Shows Seen: 111

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Ok, obviously not the popular theory around here, but let me explain my reasoning:

1) They could be giving us a lot more information right now than they have, but they haven't. Why are they suddenly going to drop half of the new album on us when we don't even have the title of the album yet or as much as a 20 second tease?

2) The only precedent for them going out on tour and playing half of the new material without a release is summer of 2000. And we all know (them included) how that ended up.

3) I know people are going to say "well there is precedent for them playing their new material live first." Spring 2009, they only really played three songs regularly, one of which they had already made available to everybody and had been released as a single (I know they played Beachball and Seven a few times as well). I would also make the argument that that tour was the exception to the norm, because of the unusual circumstances that the album was supposed to be released in April and then got pushed back. That was supposed to be a promotion tour and people bought tickets for it as such. I think they felt obligated to play some new stuff even if it wasn't released yet. Think about all of the other times the band was sitting on new material during a tour (Fall 2000, Spring 2002, and Spring 2005), they played at most 2 new songs (I realize in Spring of 2002, all they had was 2 new songs, so not a great example. But who knows what they would have done if they had more songs).

4) Dave has played several benefits since the album was recorded. And he has only played Mercy, and he didn't even play that until he was on national television with the POTUS. He pretty much had to play a new song there.

5) When Fonz was tweeting about practicing, he said that he practiced all of the material, and he said that the first up was BW, because he starts with the most recent stuff first. If they were going to play new songs, wouldn't Album X be what he started with?

6) The logic supporting the argument that they are going to play 5 new songs sounds a lot to me like the logic that the album must be coming out in the summer. People thought that the album was done and it only makes sense to release it asap. That obviously wasn't true. Now people are saying that they have new material that they are excited about, it only makes sense that they play a lot of it this summer. Well the album isn't coming out until the Fall, and we will see about the new material this weekend.

This all being said, I am not down about this. If they play new stuff, awesome. If they don't, more room in sets for other, hopefully older material. I just don't think everybody should agree that we are getting 4-6 new songs, and then when it doesn't happen, wonder how this could happen.
    Old 05-17-2012, 06:16 AM   #6190
    scarbdp

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigbeartilidie View Post
    Ok, obviously not the popular theory around here, but let me explain my reasoning:

1) They could be giving us a lot more information right now than they have, but they haven't. Why are they suddenly going to drop half of the new album on us when we don't even have the title of the album yet or as much as a 20 second tease?

2) The only precedent for them going out on tour and playing half of the new material without a release is summer of 2000. And we all know (them included) how that ended up.

3) I know people are going to say "well there is precedent for them playing their new material live first." Spring 2009, they only really played three songs regularly, one of which they had already made available to everybody and had been released as a single (I know they played Beachball and Seven a few times as well). I would also make the argument that that tour was the exception to the norm, because of the unusual circumstances that the album was supposed to be released in April and then got pushed back. That was supposed to be a promotion tour and people bought tickets for it as such. I think they felt obligated to play some new stuff even if it wasn't released yet. Think about all of the other times the band was sitting on new material during a tour (Fall 2000, Spring 2002, and Spring 2005), they played at most 2 new songs (I realize in Spring of 2002, all they had was 2 new songs, so not a great example. But who knows what they would have done if they had more songs).

4) Dave has played several benefits since the album was recorded. And he has only played Mercy, and he didn't even play that until he was on national television with the POTUS. He pretty much had to play a new song there.

5) When Fonz was tweeting about practicing, he said that he practiced all of the material, and he said that the first up was BW, because he starts with the most recent stuff first. If they were going to play new songs, wouldn't Album X be what he started with?

6) The logic supporting the argument that they are going to play 5 new songs sounds a lot to me like the logic that the album must be coming out in the summer. People thought that the album was done and it only makes sense to release it asap. That obviously wasn't true. Now people are saying that they have new material that they are excited about, it only makes sense that they play a lot of it this summer. Well the album isn't coming out until the Fall, and we will see about the new material this weekend.

This all being said, I am not down about this. If they play new stuff, awesome. If they don't, more room in sets for other, hopefully older material. I just don't think everybody should agree that we are getting 4-6 new songs, and then when it doesn't happen, wonder how this could happen.

May be unpopular with some but not with me and I do think there is some truth/logic to what you're saying. I definitely want to hear some new songs but I could see the first half of this tour happening either way...we could get a few new songs but then again we could get absolutely nothing new. I guess it may be better to say that it wouldn't surprise me at all if we didn't hear one new song until the single is released. Won't really bother me either way though.
    scarbdp is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-17-2012, 06:20 AM   #6191
    Trippingchris
    Zombie Happens

Shows Seen: 69

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I think it's time for the summer tour to start to prove or disprove some of our theories.

I feel at this point with all the lack of information it's time to prepare ourselves for the tour and enjoy it for what it's going to be. This weekend and next week should give us a really good indication of how it's going to go down.
    Trippingchris is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-17-2012, 06:35 AM   #6192
    Panther41
    Since 1995

My Tour Central Stats

Do you think this song will make the album?

http://youtu.be/NYOThahNJuo

It's uplifting, and definitely anti-BTCS.
    Panther41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-17-2012, 07:36 AM   #6193
    Dale Doback

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Have to figure with each tour stop, local papers media outlets etc write and do pieces for their papers shows etc. The more interviews the band gives the more info will start to leak.
    Dale Doback is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-17-2012, 07:38 AM   #6194
    kyledmb
    FORZA ROSSONERI

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

I think the only new tune we'll get is Mercy acoustic in the E1 slot.
    kyledmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-17-2012, 07:48 AM   #6195
    rojos88

Shows Seen: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kyledmb View Post
    agreed.....
    rojos88 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-17-2012, 07:50 AM   #6196
    MColin28

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I just don't understand why people say this.

When BW came out, they didn't play Spaceman or FTWII Dave solo E1. Why would Mercy? Steve and Stefan have BOTH confirmed it's a full band song that's a "monster". It's been played Dave solo because DAVE was asked to promote Obama and the band WAS NOT PRESENT. Why do people not grasp this?
    Old 05-17-2012, 07:54 AM   #6197
    TMoore4075
    RIP LeRoi: 1961-2008

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MColin28 View Post

When BW came out, they didn't play Spaceman or FTWII Dave solo E1. Why would Mercy? Steve and Stefan have BOTH confirmed it's a full band song that's a "monster". It's been played Dave solo because DAVE was asked to promote Obama and the band WAS NOT PRESENT. Why do people not grasp this?
    Right there with you.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
    I am so jealous of the coyotes right now.
    TMoore4075 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-17-2012, 07:56 AM   #6198
    kyledmb
    FORZA ROSSONERI

Shows Seen: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Because I believe the band will not see the summer tour as an album promotion tour. That may come with a brief Fall 2012 - Winter 2013 tour. They also would not "road test" the new material since it's already completed.

Honestly, I don't want to hear Mercy live full band before the album version.
    kyledmb is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-17-2012, 07:56 AM   #6199
    hailtopitt
    Gimme that spatula!!!!!

Shows Seen: 44

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

couldn't have said it better myself
    hailtopitt is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-17-2012, 08:03 AM   #6200
    Funkhouser
    Truth Will Mess You Up

Shows Seen: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Because I believe the band will not see the summer tour as an album promotion tour. That may come with a brief Fall 2012 - Winter 2013 tour. They also would not "road test" the new material since it's already completed.

Honestly, I don't want to hear Mercy live full band before the album version.
    They soundchecked mercy full band last night....
    Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-17-2012, 08:17 AM   #6201
    matthewdaves187
    John 3:16

Shows Seen: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Panther41 View Post
    Do you think this song will make the album?

http://youtu.be/NYOThahNJuo

It's uplifting, and definitely anti-BTCS.
    That's the opening track, mark it dude.
    Old 05-17-2012, 08:28 AM   #6202
    TomDMB803
    santa hat.

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Drumlax15 View Post
    They soundchecked mercy full band last night....
    They did? News to me.
    Old 05-17-2012, 08:28 AM   #6203
    bigbeartilidie

Shows Seen: 111

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    This thought has crossed my mind as well. I don't think I'd go quite that far with my prediction, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Quote:

The reason why I think it is a possibility is because that is how we currently know the song. My guess is that they aren't looking at this tour as an opportunity to reveal to us their new stuff. They are going to do a promotional tour after the release for that. If they don't give us a full band Mercy until that tour, it will be an entirely new take on it for us. FTWII was already released by the Spring 2009 tour, and as I said earlier, I really thin those were exceptional circumstances because it was supposed to be a promotional tour. They had to play something new. That is the only reason we got as much during that tour as we did.
    Old 05-17-2012, 08:34 AM   #6204
    TMoore4075
    RIP LeRoi: 1961-2008

My Tour Central Stats

I'm looking at Mercy like Cornbread, Eh Hee and #27. Debuted without the band and were played full band in the 07 tour.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fonzz41 View Post
    I am so jealous of the coyotes right now.
    TMoore4075 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-17-2012, 08:34 AM   #6205
    TheStone91

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Bold prediction: we won't hear any new album songs this weekend, unless shotgun/sugar will/sweet/ etc. are on the album.
    TheStone91 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-17-2012, 08:35 AM   #6206
    ah1252

Shows Seen: 31

My Tour Central Stats

They started touring before BW came out I believe and didn't they pretty much just play FTWII, Spaceman, and WIA everynight until the record came out? My guess is this tour will be the same. They will probably pick 2-3 songs that they play night in and night. This way we get a taste of the new stuff without giving it all away before the record comes out.
    ah1252 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-17-2012, 08:35 AM   #6207
    Funkhouser
    Truth Will Mess You Up

Shows Seen: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TomDMB803 View Post
    They did? News to me.
    It was in the Texas tour discussion thread.
    Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-17-2012, 08:43 AM   #6208
    dmbfan4ever
    IamwhoiamwhoamI

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheStone91 View Post
    Bold prediction: we won't hear any new album songs this weekend, unless shotgun/sugar will/sweet/ etc. are on the album.
    omg. i feel bad for Lillywhite if Shotgun or Sugar Will is played. That will make this site go crazy in wonderment over whether htey are on the album.

here's to hoping they are!
    Old 05-17-2012, 08:45 AM   #6209
    jaymas9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

It truly is mind boggling.
    Old 05-17-2012, 08:47 AM   #6210
    jaymas9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    This thought has crossed my mind as well. I don't think I'd go quite that far with my prediction, but I wouldn't be surprised.

The reason why I think it is a possibility is because that is how we currently know the song. My guess is that they aren't looking at this tour as an opportunity to reveal to us their new stuff. They are going to do a promotional tour after the release for that. If they don't give us a full band Mercy until that tour, it will be an entirely new take on it for us. FTWII was already released by the Spring 2009 tour, and as I said earlier, I really thin those were exceptional circumstances because it was supposed to be a promotional tour. They had to play something new. That is the only reason we got as much during that tour as we did.
    They are musicians that just finished an album they are excited about. No way in hell they just sit on the whole thing for an entire summer. That would be torture to them.