Dave Matthews Band in the year 2000 - Page 2 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion
Register Rules Community Top Lists Torrents AM.org

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 12-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #31
Quendi

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Dave Matthews Band in the year 2000

I definitely attribute seeing my first show in Dallas that year, 9/15 to being the turning point in my musical tastes, hobby interests, professional career, philosophies in life, etc. It may sound like overstating posting something like that on a message board, but that's literally what happened. Seeing the band that night changed my life. Been to many shows periodically since. Perhaps it was the freshness of the first, but I don't remember quite the vibe from any others that I had that night, nor do I expect it ever again. What a marvelous tour that was. Can't wait for N2 in Charlottesville, my first show in 3 years!
Quendi is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 12-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #32
    lalkb48
    My name is Dave(really)

Shows Seen: 80

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

1999 and 2000 are my two favorite years and most of the shows I listen to are from this time. Such greta years.
    Old 12-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #33
    ericvol

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

I really got into DMB in late 1999 and early 2000....but I didn't make my first show until 2001.

What a bummer.
    Old 12-13-2012, 12:36 PM   #34
    OneSweetMonkey
    O.G.

Shows Seen: 203

DMB Hub Stubs: 37

My Tour Central Stats

I went to a LOT of shows in 2000, both the Summer and Winter Tours. I got to hang out for 4 days with Stefan in New York City during the winter and during the summer I traveled with good friends up the California coast for the 5 shows out there. It was an amazing, amazing year. It's so hard for me to pick one show as the best. Each show was amazing in it's own right. I did notice that someone mentioned 7.16.00 (N2 at Vet Stadium in Philly). I was there, also... and it was both unexpected and amazing. The Shoreline shows were incredible. And Hartford that year... WOW!

One thing I will say is this... people complain all the time about set lists not having enough variety now a days. But if you look at the numbers and song selections, you'll notice that 2000 had less variety than recent years. Just goes to prove my point that the way set lists have been written have always been the same. It's just a matter of whether or not you like the songs that they are choosing to play.

RIP 2000... SUCH a great dMb year.
    OneSweetMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #35
    Kba4321

Shows Seen: 87

My Tour Central Stats

Deer creek run in 2000 was great, storm during two step and alternate lyrics on 6/23/00 one of my favorite moments. Summer 2000 tour was one of their best.
    Kba4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-13-2012, 12:56 PM   #36
    cruscott35

Shows Seen: 67

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jiggajm18 View Post
    best touring year for them, no doubt.

deer creek 2000...wow. probably their best 3-night run ever. incredible.
    6.23 was my favorite show at the time... Listened to the fuck out of it.
    cruscott35 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #37
    lalkb48
    My name is Dave(really)

Shows Seen: 80

My Tour Central Stats

Hershey and Buffalo (Ralph Wilson Stadium) had great shows that year too. But really, you could look and listen to any of those shows in 2000 and they are great.
    Old 12-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #38
    mray10
    devil's reject

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Milenk View Post
    They had not put a foot wrong and their shows felt like you were seeing the cutting edge of seeing the greatest thing ever. When they would rip into Grey Street in the summer of 2000, you were like: "I am fucking witnessing the greatest music ever created, how am I even this lucky."
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coldengrey12 View Post
    This is the single thing which has changed the most, imo, in all the years I've followed DMB.

Before Everyday, there was the feeling that everything the band touched would turn into gold, that they were capable of doing whatever they wanted and making it incredible.
    This is wrong. It's a myth.

Surely some people felt that way (I may have been one of them), but far from everyone did. Among the topics that generated considerable moaning in the fan community at the time:

- The lovely ladies. Disliked in general, and downright hated for the unforgivable things they did to Granny, BOWA, and others.
    - Long Black Veil. It's a nice Dave solo tune. Live, full band, with the ladies? Huge yawner.
    - The new ones were very uneven. Grey Street was a beast, and everyone loved it. But the reaction on GIG was mixed and SUAD got kind of weird as the tour went along, ultimately being dropped from setlists entirely after 7/25.
    - Plenty of people just really hated the stadium shows, on principle.

Look, like every band on the planet, there's always been backlash. Other than the official site, the first DMB web site I can remember stumbling upon (circa 96) was one with a prominently posted scathing review of how terrible Crash (the album) was, how terrible Tim Reynolds was, and lamenting that the band's best days of Trax and FloodZone were behind them, never to be recovered.

In retrospect, I absolutely agree, 2000 is a marvelous tour and it's certainly true that things shifted significantly after Everyday. But to say "they had never put a foot wrong"? Not true.
    mray10 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #39
    tfinn29

Shows Seen: 68

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RLLRRR View Post
    x100. I know there's a lot of hate for Butch Taylor, and his (at times) ridiculously lengthy solos... but, he lent so well towards this side of Dave Matthews Band. His interplay with Carter, Boyd, Stefan, LeRoi, and even Dave let the band breathe these jazzy licks and nuances that took the music to a whole new level.

I love Tim Reynolds, and I think he's a brilliant guitar player and musician. But, I don't think he helps the band as much as Taylor did. Reynolds' electric sounds have pushed this band so far rock, a genre where interplay and experimentation is rare, that most songs are predictable and bland.

That's why I miss Butch Taylor. And why (from what I've listened to) 2000 rocks. And ultimately why everyone should support this thread!
    While I like what Butch brought to the band and certainly miss the jazzier sound he brought, I think I miss a sax player that has a stronger jazz style.. something a little more soulful more
    tfinn29 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-13-2012, 01:43 PM   #40
    davem#36

Shows Seen: 78

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kba4321 View Post
    Deer creek run in 2000 was great, storm during two step and alternate lyrics on 6/23/00 one of my favorite moments. Summer 2000 tour was one of their best.
    I just don't know. I've listened and watched some of this run on YouTube and yes the sets are incredible but my man Boyd? Yikes a lot of skrees during that run.

What an amazing 20 years.
    ‘24 ALPHA/ALPINE
    davem#36 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #41
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

My Tour Central Stats

their best year IMO. winter 98 is the best tour, and 2000 is their best year as a whole.

7/16/00 transformed my life.
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #42
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

My Tour Central Stats

to complain about anything before 2001 is insane. call me a ball washer. id be proud because they were perfect til everyday
    Old 12-13-2012, 03:31 PM   #43
    FunkyDrummer_CB

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quendi View Post
    I definitely attribute seeing my first show in Dallas that year, 9/15 to being the turning point in my musical tastes, hobby interests, professional career, philosophies in life, etc. It may sound like overstating posting something like that on a message board, but that's literally what happened. Seeing the band that night changed my life. Been to many shows periodically since. Perhaps it was the freshness of the first, but I don't remember quite the vibe from any others that I had that night, nor do I expect it ever again. What a marvelous tour that was. Can't wait for N2 in Charlottesville, my first show in 3 years!

I was at both nights in Dallas that year. I think night 2 Seek Up, is the best played ever!
    FunkyDrummer_CB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #44
    coldengrey12
    Listen to St. Vincent

Shows Seen: 70

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mray10 View Post

Surely some people felt that way (I may have been one of them), but far from everyone did.
    There definitely were detractors. Haters gonna hate. But I think the majority of people thought there was nowhere to keep going but up.

That feeling that the future of the band was limitless and artistically rich was gone when we got Everyday.
    coldengrey12 is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-13-2012, 06:32 PM   #45
    SlateDMB

Shows Seen: 73

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by justinfischl View Post
    I miss the jazzy side of DMB so much
    Gone with LeRoi, won't be back with Timmy there
    SlateDMB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-13-2012, 06:33 PM   #46
    dtv001
    NO MORE CORNBREAD!!

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

9.01.00, then 9.04.00 with Bela and Emmylou Harris was absolutely beautiful.

The 99-01 shows for me were almost spritual in a sense. I have fun now, but nothing like it used to be.
    dtv001 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-13-2012, 06:34 PM   #47
    SlateDMB

Shows Seen: 73

My Tour Central Stats

I remember it this way

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mray10 View Post

Surely some people felt that way (I may have been one of them), but far from everyone did. Among the topics that generated considerable moaning in the fan community at the time:

- The lovely ladies. Disliked in general, and downright hated for the unforgivable things they did to Granny, BOWA, and others.
    - Long Black Veil. It's a nice Dave solo tune. Live, full band, with the ladies? Huge yawner.
    - The new ones were very uneven. Grey Street was a beast, and everyone loved it. But the reaction on GIG was mixed and SUAD got kind of weird as the tour went along, ultimately being dropped from setlists entirely after 7/25.

Look, like every band on the planet, there's always been backlash. Other than the official site, the first DMB web site I can remember stumbling upon (circa 96) was one with a prominently posted scathing review of how terrible Crash (the album) was, how terrible Tim Reynolds was, and lamenting that the band's best days of Trax and FloodZone were behind them, never to be recovered.

In retrospect, I absolutely agree, 2000 is a marvelous tour and it's certainly true that things shifted significantly after Everyday. But to say "they had never put a foot wrong"? Not true.
    SlateDMB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-13-2012, 06:35 PM   #48
    Useliteski
    shit blizzard

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

i too have gotten into this year, and every show i listen to is like a completely different wonderful and captivating experience.]

clearly the best year for these guys.
    Useliteski is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-13-2012, 07:34 PM   #49
    SmoothD41
    Hoosiers

Shows Seen: 63

My Tour Central Stats

the 3 night Deer Creek run was one of the best 3 days/nights of my life.

SmoothD41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-13-2012, 07:50 PM   #50
    BigEyedGooch
    MoreTalkingHeadsCovers

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Listening to LLD from 7/16 right now. Drunk chick yelling over the band about how she "Fuckin' loves this fuckin' song." Real classy lady. Some things never change.
    Old 12-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #51
    chipgaskins

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

2000 was great.

i miss the jazz.

i miss butch.

i can't believe how sideways it all got after 2000. such is life.
    chipgaskins is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #52
    Jolly Green

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Who influenced DMB jazz wise? Or did it just come from them being together? I'm just curious.. I love jazzy DMB and want to hear where it came from.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hailtopitt View Post
    condoms are overrated and no means yes
    Jolly Green is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-14-2012, 12:32 AM   #53
    TheStone91

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jolly Green View Post
    Who influenced DMB jazz wise? Or did it just come from them being together? I'm just curious.. I love jazzy DMB and want to hear where it came from.
    Yea, jazzy DMB was the best. That sound was mostly due to Roi and Butch's contributions.
    TheStone91 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #54
    tfinn29

Shows Seen: 68

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheStone91 View Post
    Yea, jazzy DMB was the best. That sound was mostly due to Roi and Butch's contributions.
    Agreed.. I have no problem with Tim being there.. just miss the jazzier component of DMB
    tfinn29 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-14-2012, 09:35 AM   #55
    Jeffrey99

Shows Seen: 120

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

There has always been things to complain about. There are plenty of complaints on the old minarets.net archive(see dmbalmanac for that) but I think what most people are trying to establish is that prior to 2001, there were no songs in a set that you could say seriously Dave, Can't Stop again WTF, or gee another EhHee opener. Yes, the LL were AWFUL(if i could find another more harsh word to use I would, they were that bad) but the band themselves and the songs they put out, they were all great.

Yes people complained about hearing So Much to Say or Too Much to often, which today is absurd but few were complaining about not liking the songs. Those are the people that said they weren't the same band as they were at Trax and Crash sounded too different, etc. As a band they had released several incredible albums with not one song I wanted to skip and every set list prior to 2000 if played today would be considered best show of the run, tour, year, etc the moment it was over. The band had just come out of the studio and worked on what we all consider to be one of their best works, The Lillywhite Sessions, were playing sold out runs at huge stadiums and musically were at the top of their game.

That all changed in 2001 with Everyday and the tour that most consider their worst to date. The funny thing is to me it wouldn't have been that bad at all without the LL. Yes the Everyday songs are not their best, but for me it was the LL who literally ruined the entire Summer 2001 tour.

Interestingly though Spring 2002 was a really good tour, at the time I was upset that they weren't playing as much Big 3 stuff but looking back on it now as someone who loves the Lillywhite Sessions, that was a fun tour with some great performances. A few Everyday songs, without the LL and lots of stuff that today people beg to hear. It did also feature one of the worst encores of all time though....4/5/02 Aint it Funny, The Space Between, I Did It.

The funny thing is the first 2 songs I enjoy, but at that time neither had any business being in an encore like that. This should tell you something, thats the final time I Did It has closed the encore of a full band DMB show, although Dave did try it as a set closer 2 shows later and that didn't go so well either.

2000 was a great year for DMB....my all time favorite tour though was 2004. There was just something magical about that summer tour and those 2004 songs. Hearing the 04 songs evolve every night along with TONS of Big 4 songs and rare ones made for a great summer, so glad I saw so many shows in 2004! Hershey 2004 will always been one of my top shows. Being over 100 shows now, when I get to 200, it will still be one of my top shows, it was just that good.

Side note, the jazzy stuff...early shows like 92/93 stuff have that sound and its incredible.

Last edited by Jeffrey99; 12-14-2012 at 09:36 AM.
    Jeffrey99 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #56
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

My Tour Central Stats

2004 was really good, but it still had the everyday songs and where are you going. and thats why i cant put it above 2000.
    Old 12-14-2012, 12:33 PM   #57
    crush0617

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

I do as well. I really got into DMB in 1997 and I remember hearing complaints about the "new songs"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SlateDMB View Post
    I remember it this way
    Originally Posted by mray10 http://www.antsmarching.org/forum/im...s/viewpost.gif

Old 12-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #58
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

I lived in Columbus, OH and was on a family vacation when they came to town. I was so pissed. That was just a great summer. I had just graduated high school and I'll never forget asking my buddy to download the new songs for me on napster. I had a horribly slow connection and needed other people to do it for me lol! I remember driving to his house to pick up the cd and I just couldn't get home fast enough. Popped it into my parents stereo and BOOM! Grey Street. I couldn't believe my ears. My favorite band in the world had topped themselves!

That was the first year I really learned about downloading shows. I listened to so much DMB that summer. That September a buddy suggested we hit St. Louis and so we did. 9/18/00. One of the greatest DMB shows ever played.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #59
    dmb41er

Shows Seen: 113

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

8.29.00 - My first time seeing a live performance by any band.

The Stone
    JTR
    Minarets
    Lie in Our Graves
    The Maker
    Bartender
    Anyone Seen the Bridge > Too Much [fake] > Ants Marching
    Pantala Naga Pampa > Rapunzel

The entire set was amazing, these are my personal favorites. I've seen them every year since, and all 12 years have been a blessing regardless of what was played. I may not agree with all their decisions, but I am so grateful to be a part of their wonderful world. A big thank you to the Matthews Band. Miss you LeRoi.
    dmb41er is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 12-14-2012, 09:02 PM   #60
    TheStone91

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jeffrey99 View Post
    There has always been things to complain about. There are plenty of complaints on the old minarets.net archive(see dmbalmanac for that) but I think what most people are trying to establish is that prior to 2001, there were no songs in a set that you could say seriously Dave, Can't Stop again WTF, or gee another EhHee opener. Yes, the LL were AWFUL(if i could find another more harsh word to use I would, they were that bad) but the band themselves and the songs they put out, they were all great.

Yes people complained about hearing So Much to Say or Too Much to often, which today is absurd but few were complaining about not liking the songs. Those are the people that said they weren't the same band as they were at Trax and Crash sounded too different, etc. As a band they had released several incredible albums with not one song I wanted to skip and every set list prior to 2000 if played today would be considered best show of the run, tour, year, etc the moment it was over. The band had just come out of the studio and worked on what we all consider to be one of their best works, The Lillywhite Sessions, were playing sold out runs at huge stadiums and musically were at the top of their game.

That all changed in 2001 with Everyday and the tour that most consider their worst to date. The funny thing is to me it wouldn't have been that bad at all without the LL. Yes the Everyday songs are not their best, but for me it was the LL who literally ruined the entire Summer 2001 tour.

Interestingly though Spring 2002 was a really good tour, at the time I was upset that they weren't playing as much Big 3 stuff but looking back on it now as someone who loves the Lillywhite Sessions, that was a fun tour with some great performances. A few Everyday songs, without the LL and lots of stuff that today people beg to hear. It did also feature one of the worst encores of all time though....4/5/02 Aint it Funny, The Space Between, I Did It.

The funny thing is the first 2 songs I enjoy, but at that time neither had any business being in an encore like that. This should tell you something, thats the final time I Did It has closed the encore of a full band DMB show, although Dave did try it as a set closer 2 shows later and that didn't go so well either.

2000 was a great year for DMB....my all time favorite tour though was 2004. There was just something magical about that summer tour and those 2004 songs. Hearing the 04 songs evolve every night along with TONS of Big 4 songs and rare ones made for a great summer, so glad I saw so many shows in 2004! Hershey 2004 will always been one of my top shows. Being over 100 shows now, when I get to 200, it will still be one of my top shows, it was just that good.

Side note, the jazzy stuff...early shows like 92/93 stuff have that sound and its incredible.

Yea, same here. '04 was perfect in every way, IMO.
    TheStone91 is offline   Reply With Quote