Info Comes in... let's keep updated, realistic track list predictions here - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > Archive > 'Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King' Album Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 03-13-2008, 10:13 PM   #91
Prime Minister

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Info Comes in... let's keep updated, realistic track list predictions here

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb5570 View Post
Ive been around music a long time, I know music. I played jazz band for 6 years. I dont think Rashawn is bad. But those notes im talking about are NOT on purpose and they are there. I have tons of downloads from the last two years, and there are plenty of times that the sound coming from his trumpet does not sound good at all. I think hes a talented musician, Im just disagreeing that hes that phenominal. And even if he did play perfect, I would just prefer a trumpet to not be on all of the songs, its just not the right sound for the band(obviously they disagree as do a lot of people on this board and thats fine).

MattsMarching Headquarters

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-13-2008, 10:16 PM   #92
    CrashAgain
    Dave's protege

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Sorry I didnt read this whole thing, but whats the word on Tim accompanying the boys throughout the full tour?
    Old 03-13-2008, 10:18 PM   #93
    qm247
    찾음

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Ross, with DMB, is good in the lower to mid register or playing muted. On the whole, I could do without him there, but to those who enjoy him with the band (e.g. Bubba), more power to you. My opinion in no way should take away or diminish Rashawn's professional/technical ability. It's just my opinion, as sacred as it my be.

now back to the thread topic.

Last edited by qm247; 03-13-2008 at 10:20 PM.
    Old 03-13-2008, 10:33 PM   #94
    Prime Minister

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bubba40 View Post
    No, Rashawn should be prominent on the album because he's a phenomenal musician.

Yeah, that would be fantastic music you're talking about. Call-and-response, playing off of each other, responding to and improvising off of each other's improvisations. It's called jazz, and it's awesome.

10 octaves higher? Really? 1) You're wrong, and 2) have you ever heard of harmony notes? As in, if the band is playing a G, Rashawn, with his extensive Berklee School of Music (one of the finest music schools in the world) training, might play another note from a G Major chord, such as the 3rd (B) or 5th (D) or another scale degree. It's called jazz.

Rashawn Ross makes this band much, much better.

The lack of appreciation and respect for Rashawn on this board is appalling.

Rashawn's screechy ass trumpet makes me wish they would turn up Butch, and I am not a big fan of Butch either.

Dont get me wrong, he has his good moments, he even has great moments from time to time. What he added to Melissa at Peidmont was nothing short of beautiful, and I'm sure he will be able to do great things in a studio setting (where he can be turned up or down, or he can try it again if it sounds like he just stepped on a cat). I just dont want to hear him on every song of the whole fucking tour. He hurts more songs than he helps. He ruins Grey Street, one of my favorite songs.
    Old 03-13-2008, 10:38 PM   #95
    bubba40

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Ive been around music a long time, I know music. I played jazz band for 6 years. I dont think Rashawn is bad. But those notes im talking about are NOT on purpose and they are there. I have tons of downloads from the last two years, and there are plenty of times that the sound coming from his trumpet does not sound good at all. I think hes a talented musician, Im just disagreeing that hes that phenominal. And even if he did play perfect, I would just prefer a trumpet to not be on all of the songs, its just not the right sound for the band(obviously they disagree as do a lot of people on this board and thats fine).
    I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree then.
    Old 03-13-2008, 11:01 PM   #96
    dmb5570

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree then.

Sounds good to me, im always up for a good friendly disagreement.
    Old 03-14-2008, 07:10 AM   #97
    kyledmb
    FORZA ROSSONERI

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Honestly, I think Rashawn has some good moments, but I really dont think that he is phenomenal by any means. When hes on he good, but theres too many times that I listen to songs and he is off key, cant hold notes steady, or the style just does not fit with the song(probably not his fault). Hes good, but not phenomenal. Background fill on the album, sure, a couple of brief solos on the album, thats cool, but id rather the majority of fill be boyd, roi, and tim.

you're right. his intonation is horrendous. And wasn't he supposed to learn dynamics in high school jazz band?
    Old 03-14-2008, 07:16 AM   #98
    kyledmb
    FORZA ROSSONERI

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    No, Rashawn should be prominent on the album because he's a phenomenal musician.

Yeah, that would be fantastic music you're talking about. Call-and-response, playing off of each other, responding to and improvising off of each other's improvisations. It's called jazz, and it's awesome.

10 octaves higher? Really? 1) You're wrong, and 2) have you ever heard of harmony notes? As in, if the band is playing a G, Rashawn, with his extensive Berklee School of Music (one of the finest music schools in the world) training, might play another note from a G Major chord, such as the 3rd (B) or 5th (D) or another scale degree. It's called jazz.

Rashawn Ross makes this band much, much better.

The lack of appreciation and respect for Rashawn on this board is appalling.

...easy there bubba.

1) I was joking about the 10 octave thing. Ten octaves above an Eb alto saxophone would be out of the hearing range of even canines.

2) I know what jazz is. I have traveled the country playing bari sax in different jazz bands. in fact, i was probably doing that while you were still pooping your diapers.

ok, now i declare peace.
    Old 03-14-2008, 07:18 AM   #99
    rickyh24
    GOAT

Shows Seen: 76

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

I just don't think Rashawn is necessary. With Tim in studio there is already enough going on. I say let Leroi shine.
    Old 03-14-2008, 07:38 AM   #100
    kyledmb
    FORZA ROSSONERI

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickyh24 View Post
    I just don't think Rashawn is necessary. With Tim in studio there is already enough going on. I say let Leroi shine.
    Amen!!! I think Ross actually effects the way Roi plays. Ross somewhat defines how Roi approaches his instrument.

Free Leroi 2008
    Old 03-14-2008, 09:35 AM   #101
    BruceW

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kyledmb View Post
    Amen!!! I think Ross actually effects the way Roi plays. Ross somewhat defines how Roi approaches his instrument.

Free Leroi 2008
    with that i agree...but i think he helps roi...idt roi can solo on every single song and be able to put that much strength in it anymore...notice 2005 he sounded pretty rough...and i think rashawn takes some of the pressure off and even inspires roi...i do think sometimes he takes over and roi should shine more...but idk i think rashawn is a good thing for this band...turn him down a little sometimes but he brings some good energy and some sweet melody sometimes and i love i...of this is IMO
    Old 03-14-2008, 09:43 AM   #102
    bubba40

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kyledmb View Post

Free Leroi 2008
    Absolutely, in a very, very positive way. There's no question about this whatsoever IMO, that Rashawn positively affects Roi's playing and creativity.

Okay I'm done hijacking this into an I Love Rashawn!!1!!!11 thread .

No but really I love the guy's playing.
    Old 03-14-2008, 10:20 AM   #103
    kyledmb
    FORZA ROSSONERI

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Absolutely, in a very, very positive way. There's no question about this whatsoever IMO, that Rashawn positively affects Roi's playing and creativity.

Okay I'm done hijacking this into an I Love Rashawn!!1!!!11 thread .

No but really I love the guy's playing.
    in some ways, maybe yes, in others, no.

Roi is actually quite progressive in what he does. Sax in a rock band. crazy right? Well, he pulls it off because it is not sax solo after sax solo. What he does is often quite rhythmic and textural. A good example is the studio version of Dreaming Tree.

With Rashawn, i see roi getting away from that innovative style of playing and moving more towards a very standard pop/jazz unison and linear style with the trumpet.

I don't like the thought of that at all. Sorry, just wanted to clarify my above post.

Last edited by kyledmb; 03-14-2008 at 10:24 AM.
    Old 03-14-2008, 11:25 AM   #104
    ameneon

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

I donīt think people are disputing whether or not Rashawn can play his instrument. But i for one, find him pulling the cart in a totally opposite direction of the bands sound. As someone said earlier, he makes almost every song sound like a 70s gameshow. Thatīs pretty close to what i said in another thread a few days ago, and everybody turned their flamethrowers on.

Heīs a darn good trumpet player, but the more i listen to recordings from the past years i start to long for some pre-2000 shows. Some argues that the bandīs sound has evolved. Thatīs true, but there are tons of directions to move in, and i donīt find the past years direction very much too my liking, with Rashawn being a big part of that. In addition to Dave more and more wearing out his voice... Iīm not looking forward to hearing any Rashawn on this album. Iīm hoping for a solid, back-to-the-beginnings type of album... With Tim returning i hope this might be the album weīve been wishing for the last 5 years.
    Heaven or hell I'm going there with the GrooGrux King
    Old 03-14-2008, 11:39 AM   #105
    Prime Minister

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matt McKibben View Post
    Rashawn's screechy ass trumpet makes me wish they would turn up Butch, and I am not a big fan of Butch either.

Dont get me wrong, he has his good moments, he even has great moments from time to time. What he added to Melissa at Peidmont was nothing short of beautiful, and I'm sure he will be able to do great things in a studio setting (where he can be turned up or down, or he can try it again if it sounds like he just stepped on a cat). I just dont want to hear him on every song of the whole fucking tour. He hurts more songs than he helps. He ruins Grey Street, one of my favorite songs
    I agree with this guy, he knows his shit and he's a handsom man too.
    Old 03-14-2008, 12:07 PM   #106
    zdaddy
    Derpmandertastic

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

So lets get back on topic...

anyone have any news on anything, at all?
    Old 03-14-2008, 12:12 PM   #107
    spoot388

Shows Seen: 94

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zdaddy View Post

as i stated in the scranton thread, the good news is that time decided to continue to move forward, bringing us closer to the start of the tour, rather than going backwards and making the tour even farther away.
    Old 03-14-2008, 12:19 PM   #108
    zdaddy
    Derpmandertastic

Shows Seen: 15

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by spoot388 View Post
    as i stated in the scranton thread, the good news is that time decided to continue to move forward, bringing us closer to the start of the tour, rather than going backwards and making the tour even farther away.
    Old 03-14-2008, 12:54 PM   #109
    kyledmb
    FORZA ROSSONERI

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zdaddy View Post

im heading up to the studio this weekend. so i'll get back to you on that one!
    Old 03-14-2008, 12:54 PM   #110
    warehouseguy

Shows Seen: 52

My Tour Central Stats

no news that i've found .... think we'll get something in the next two weeks like a producer interview?
    Old 03-14-2008, 01:56 PM   #111
    Gladstone
    Little Beethoven

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matt McKibben View Post

Dont get me wrong, he has his good moments, he even has great moments from time to time. What he added to Melissa at Peidmont was nothing short of beautiful, and I'm sure he will be able to do great things in a studio setting (where he can be turned up or down, or he can try it again if it sounds like he just stepped on a cat). I just dont want to hear him on every song of the whole fucking tour. He hurts more songs than he helps. He ruins Grey Street, one of my favorite songs.
    You're on to something here. I'd prefer it if they leave out Rashawn from the album completely. I actually (start the bashing!) find him more annoying than - dare I say it - Butch these days. Rashawn overpowers the saxophone (which is a much more delicate instrument in my eyes and to my ears) with his bigass trumpet and plays the same damn thing over and over - lame and boring. Atleast Butch can go to the background and gently fill some parts in with class (in theory mind you).
    Old 03-14-2008, 02:19 PM   #112
    Prime Minister

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gladstone View Post
    You're on to something here. I'd prefer it if they leave out Rashawn from the album completely. I actually (start the bashing!) find him more annoying than - dare I say it - Butch these days. Rashawn overpowers the saxophone (which is a much more delicate instrument in my eyes and to my ears) with his bigass trumpet and plays the same damn thing over and over - lame and boring. Atleast Butch can go to the background and gently fill some parts in with class (in theory mind you).
    I knew I could count on you to back me up.

Where have you been lately, I havent seen you much?
    Old 03-14-2008, 02:27 PM   #113
    ameneon

Shows Seen: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gladstone View Post
    I couldnīt agree more. the subtleties of Roi somewhat disappears with Rashawn...
    Heaven or hell I'm going there with the GrooGrux King
    Old 03-14-2008, 02:28 PM   #114
    kyledmb
    FORZA ROSSONERI

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ameneon View Post
    I couldnīt agree more. the subtleties of Roi somewhat disappears with Rashawn...
    Old 03-14-2008, 03:02 PM   #115
    bubba40

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ameneon View Post
    No. This was happening before Rashawn came along.
    Old 03-14-2008, 03:49 PM   #116
    DustyKeys70
    100% Chance of Recently

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Does everyone think Falling Off the Roof is completely gone??
    Old 03-14-2008, 04:16 PM   #117
    SmoothRider[PL]
    MM#14 A tortured soul

Shows Seen: 14

My Tour Central Stats

My prediction:

01. New Song
    02. Cornbread
    03. The Idea of You
    04. New Song
    05. New Song
    06. Sweet Up and Down
    07. New Song
    08. New Song
    09. New Song
    10. New Song
    11. A Dream So Real
    12. Loving Wings >
    13. Shotgun (with "BTCS reprise" style - outro by LeRoi and Rashawn)

I'd like to see ADSR, FOTR and Shotgun there. I'd be satisfied with those 3 songs.
    Old 03-14-2008, 04:24 PM   #118
    rickyh24
    GOAT

Shows Seen: 76

My Tour Central Stats

If I cant hear Roi on this damn record I am going to be pissed.
    Old 03-14-2008, 04:26 PM   #119
    dmbfan4ever
    IamwhoiamwhoamI

Shows Seen: 89

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SmoothRider[PL] View Post
    My prediction:

01. New Song
    02. Cornbread
    03. The Idea of You
    04. New Song
    05. New Song
    06. Sweet Up and Down
    07. New Song
    08. New Song
    09. New Song
    10. New Song
    11. A Dream So Real
    12. Loving Wings >
    13. Shotgun (with "BTCS reprise" style - outro by LeRoi and Rashawn)

I'd like to see ADSR, FOTR and Shotgun there. I'd be satisfied with those 3 songs.
    This is the 100th time I've seen Loving Wings in album discussion....did something happen with Loving Wings that sparked a debate as to whether it was going to show up on the album or not?
    Old 03-14-2008, 04:59 PM   #120
    MistreatedLewis

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbfan4ever View Post
    This is the 100th time I've seen Loving Wings in album discussion....did something happen with Loving Wings that sparked a debate as to whether it was going to show up on the album or not?
    I think the word is that they have played around with it in the studio either before or after the tour... don't know though