Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows (11.19.10 / 7.15.11) - Page 106 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 08-16-2011, 09:18 AM   #3151
bigeyedfish190

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows (11.19.10 / 7.15.11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefsteak1138 View Post
I understand it's necessary, but I find it annoying that each book (at least so far, I'm on the third) has to reintroduce all the characters among other things.
Very annoying. I think she stops doing that, for the most part, in the fifth.
Oh, and also I'm glad you're not in Flint. Your life expectancy is inversely proportional to the amount of time you spend there.
bigeyedfish190 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 08-16-2011, 10:58 AM   #3152
    dmbgodagirl41
    Go. Tommy. Go.

Shows Seen: 107

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I understand it's necessary, but I find it annoying that each book (at least so far, I'm on the third) has to reintroduce all the characters among other things.
    Yeah, she stops doing that come Order of the Phoenix.

Tough to remember that the books are written for 12 year olds, huh? I think that's why she does it. Her writing matures and changes as the books go on. It's not like she sat down, wrote all seven and then edited the crap out of each one recently, so they are all going to sound a little bit differently.

Also, you have to remember that this could be on purpose, as the story is told from Harry's point of view. So, it would make sense that the writing style itself matures as the books go on, because Harry himself matures. When a kid is 11, 12, 13, they are always reminding themselves who everyone is in their lives and how they know that person. by the time a child reaches "high school age", they don't need to do that as much.

/masters in writing formulaic secret
    Calm down, 12.
    dmbgodagirl41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-16-2011, 11:44 AM   #3153
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbgodagirl41 View Post
    Yeah, she stops doing that come Order of the Phoenix.

Tough to remember that the books are written for 12 year olds, huh? I think that's why she does it. Her writing matures and changes as the books go on. It's not like she sat down, wrote all seven and then edited the crap out of each one recently, so they are all going to sound a little bit differently.

Also, you have to remember that this could be on purpose, as the story is told from Harry's point of view. So, it would make sense that the writing style itself matures as the books go on, because Harry himself matures. When a kid is 11, 12, 13, they are always reminding themselves who everyone is in their lives and how they know that person. by the time a child reaches "high school age", they don't need to do that as much.

/masters in writing formulaic secret
    You something related to that, in sort of a tangentel way, like when I was going thru the OOTP book for the first time (& since this particular detail wasn't featured in the movie, so I'd no awareness of it before) it's funny how this thought occurred to me pretty much right as it did to Harry. That after they're back at school from all the events at the ministry, he sees one of the school ghosts and it suddenly hits him like a brick wall, the logic therein, and he suddenly wonders if this is a way he'd be able to still communicate with Sirius even after death. I remember so clearly having this moment, because it happened before Rowling really even started to properly and fully explain what Harry was thinking in that moment.

"Ohh, why do my actions have consequences?!?!" - Homer J. Simpson
    junior94 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-16-2011, 11:47 AM   #3154
    dmbgodagirl41
    Go. Tommy. Go.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by junior94 View Post
    You something related to that, in sort of a tangentel way, like when I was going thru the OOTP book for the first time (& since this particular detail wasn't featured in the movie, so I'd no awareness of it before) it's funny how this thought occurred to me pretty much right as it did to Harry. That after they're back at school from all the events at the ministry, he sees one of the school ghosts and it suddenly hits him like a brick wall, the logic therein, and he suddenly wonders if this is a way he'd be able to still communicate with Sirius even after death. I remember so clearly having this moment, because it happened before Rowling really even started to properly and fully explain what Harry was thinking in that moment.
    Yeah, see? haha Harry is maturing and you're seeing the story through Harry's eyes. That shows how good of a story teller Rowling is; she makes you feel as though you are LITERALLY standing next to Harry, seeing what he does and thinking what he does.

Amazing!
    Calm down, 12.
    Old 08-16-2011, 12:06 PM   #3155
    sgtpeppr

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

In to Pottermore!
    sgtpeppr is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-16-2011, 02:11 PM   #3156
    sgtpeppr

Shows Seen: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Sycamore and Phoenix Feather, Fourteen and a Half inches, Surprisingly Swishy
    sgtpeppr is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-16-2011, 02:21 PM   #3157
    DMBfreak41
    ^I'm so creative

Shows Seen: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    How are you liking them so far?
    Old 08-16-2011, 07:38 PM   #3158
    annie711pm
    Cheesus Crust!

Shows Seen: 41

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    when you get to the 5th book, you'll almost feel like you're reading a different series, the tone is so much more grown up. (Not to take away from 3 and 4, because I think they're fun and really interesting) But 5-7 are way dark and ominous and chock full of plot.
    annie711pm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-16-2011, 11:19 PM   #3159
    iMAC386
    BOOMER!

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Book 6 is so badass. Love that one.
    iMAC386 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-17-2011, 03:11 AM   #3160
    SmoothG

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Just saw this...lame/10. I don't get what people enjoy about it. To each their own, glad it seems most people liked it.
    SmoothG is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-17-2011, 06:35 AM   #3161
    Beefsteak1138

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBfreak41 View Post
    How are you liking them so far?
    They're okay. I enjoy them when they start to get into the meat and bones of the story, but all the background stuff in the first few chapters I find a bit boring

Quote:
    Originally Posted by annie711pm View Post
    when you get to the 5th book, you'll almost feel like you're reading a different series, the tone is so much more grown up. (Not to take away from 3 and 4, because I think they're fun and really interesting) But 5-7 are way dark and ominous and chock full of plot.
    Nice. I should be through book 3 this week, then onto book 4 next week.
    Beefsteak1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-17-2011, 08:39 PM   #3162
    TrippingBilly95
    ... Up to something...

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sgtpeppr View Post
    In to Pottermore!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sgtpeppr View Post
    Sycamore and Phoenix Feather, Fourteen and a Half inches, Surprisingly Swishy
    *Jealous face*
    Old 08-17-2011, 11:55 PM   #3163
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

Another one of my little weirdo thoughts I had recently, something that's never talked about in the books, but I've no doubt Rowling knows the answer to. Do wizards pay taxes? I'm thinking they must, I mean if you've got a job at the Ministry, that's just like a government job for us, what you're doing isn't for profit, so you must get paid in public funds.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:30 AM   #3164
    hairyfeetdb1
    "The Plaid Guys"

Shows Seen: 53

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

How HP should have ended:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsYWT...&feature=feedu
    hairyfeetdb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-18-2011, 09:52 AM   #3165
    dmbgodagirl41
    Go. Tommy. Go.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Another one of my little weirdo thoughts I had recently, something that's never talked about in the books, but I've no doubt Rowling knows the answer to. Do wizards pay taxes? I'm thinking they must, I mean if you've got a job at the Ministry, that's just like a government job for us, what you're doing isn't for profit, so you must get paid in public funds.
    I was going to say "of course you do", but the things that taxes support could be made/created/fixed with magic. Good question.
    Calm down, 12.
    Old 08-18-2011, 10:09 AM   #3166
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hairyfeetdb1 View Post

"No, seriously, it's like, a really long story. Like, if you wrote it all down, it would take, like, 7 books."

Old 08-19-2011, 06:05 PM   #3167
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I was going to say "of course you do", but the things that taxes support could be made/created/fixed with magic. Good question.
    Well and another incredibly geeky question that I'm probably only one of about 15 people in the world to bother wondering, I'd love to ask Rowling, what is the time span in between a wizard dying, and you being able to communicate with them via their painting? Because we see in the end of the HBP movie, when Harry goes to the office for the last time and speaks with McGonagall (which btw, side note, I love how, in the books at least, I believe that scene is the first and only time she ever addresses him as "Harry" instead of by surname) but they cut to that shot of Dumbledore's painting already on the wall, but he appears to be sleeping. And obviously at some point later on he's talking to Snape and whatnot thru it. So how long would he be "sleeping"?

These are the internal logic workings of the Potter world that surely only I'm odd enough to think about

Old 08-19-2011, 07:05 PM   #3168
    iMAC386
    BOOMER!

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hairyfeetdb1 View Post
    That's amazing.
    iMAC386 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-21-2011, 06:38 PM   #3169
    TrippingBilly95
    ... Up to something...

My Tour Central Stats

I finally got around to seeing my third viewing in IMAX 3D, and I thought it was fantastic. A little pricey for a $15 dollar ticket, but I think it was worth it. Some thoughts, and things I noticed... Apologies if this has already been said, I forget and don't feel like backreading:

When Mcgonagall is telling Neville and Seamus to "blow it up," there are several other teachers walking with them, including Slughorn. If you look closely, Slughorn takes a little swig of some potion in a teeny bottle, and I instantly thought Felix Felicis. I lol'd. Totally Slughorn.

I loved Neville's Mimbulus Mimbletona on the desk when the kid goes "Lightning has struck!!"

When the school's protection finally goes down and Scabior slowly takes a step forward, some guy in the theater said, "Oh, SHIT." very loudly.

There are in fact some people watching Voldy and Harry's final duel. Just students, it looks like. Hard to notice, but they're there. And Neville is watching from the entrance too (after slicing Nagini); you can see him standing in the doorway as the Voldy-fetti floats up.

Also when Voldy is in the boathouse, before he talks to Lucius, he's examining his forearm and wrist of his wand hand. You can see some of the skin like flaking off. And when he's up on the cliff, the back of his neck is peeling too. Gross.

When Neville said "Harry didn't die in vain. But you will!!! Because you're wrong!!!!" With Voldy giving an evil laugh was a really moving and powerful scene this time around. That whole speech is chill-inducing.

As much talk as Rickman is getting for a possible Supporting Actor nom, which I fully support with 100% of my being, I also think Ralph Fiennes did utterly BRILLIANT acting in this. I really paid attention to him the third time around, and my goodness, he is great.

This was the first time I watched Part 2 directly after watching Part 1. Something I noticed: When HRH escape from the Ministry with Yaxley on their tail in Part 1, they do a sort of whooshy apparating thing. First they zoom up the fireplace, then they apparate. Yaxley is wrestling with them the whole time, then eventually looses his grip. What I'm getting at, is when Harry and Voldy "morph together" after Harry hugs him and they fall off the cliff and fly around in Part 2, it looks almost the exact same as what happened between the Trio and Yaxley in Part 1. This led me to believe that it wasn't so much "Harry and Voldy are connected" (because they technically aren't anymore; the horcrux in Harry is already gone by this point), but it's more of a side effect of an apparation gone awry. (Granted I am assuming that when Voldy turns to black wisps and floats around he's apparating in a sense.) That's why they get all funky looking and "morph" together.

Well, that's the end of my rambling.
    Old 08-21-2011, 07:14 PM   #3170
    smokew11
    1-0

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

i agree..some oscar noms are overdue..very LOTR-esque..

Rickman and Fiennes both deserve some credit

def not for this movie, but i def thought HBC deserved an oscar nom for bellatrx, she's been amazing. ive said it plenty of times, but she was the #1 best-cast person in the series..and with Rickman, Oldman, Feinnes and the main 3, that says an awful lot
    Old 08-21-2011, 07:24 PM   #3171
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TrippingBilly95 View Post
    I finally got around to seeing my third viewing in IMAX 3D, and I thought it was fantastic. A little pricey for a $15 dollar ticket, but I think it was worth it. Some thoughts, and things I noticed... Apologies if this has already been said, I forget and don't feel like backreading:

When Mcgonagall is telling Neville and Seamus to "blow it up," there are several other teachers walking with them, including Slughorn. If you look closely, Slughorn takes a little swig of some potion in a teeny bottle, and I instantly thought Felix Felicis. I lol'd. Totally Slughorn.

I loved Neville's Mimbulus Mimbletona on the desk when the kid goes "Lightning has struck!!"

When the school's protection finally goes down and Scabior slowly takes a step forward, some guy in the theater said, "Oh, SHIT." very loudly.

There are in fact some people watching Voldy and Harry's final duel. Just students, it looks like. Hard to notice, but they're there. And Neville is watching from the entrance too (after slicing Nagini); you can see him standing in the doorway as the Voldy-fetti floats up.

Also when Voldy is in the boathouse, before he talks to Lucius, he's examining his forearm and wrist of his wand hand. You can see some of the skin like flaking off. And when he's up on the cliff, the back of his neck is peeling too. Gross.

When Neville said "Harry didn't die in vain. But you will!!! Because you're wrong!!!!" With Voldy giving an evil laugh was a really moving and powerful scene this time around. That whole speech is chill-inducing.

As much talk as Rickman is getting for a possible Supporting Actor nom, which I fully support with 100% of my being, I also think Ralph Fiennes did utterly BRILLIANT acting in this. I really paid attention to him the third time around, and my goodness, he is great.

This was the first time I watched Part 2 directly after watching Part 1. Something I noticed: When HRH escape from the Ministry with Yaxley on their tail in Part 1, they do a sort of whooshy apparating thing. First they zoom up the fireplace, then they apparate. Yaxley is wrestling with them the whole time, then eventually looses his grip. What I'm getting at, is when Harry and Voldy "morph together" after Harry hugs him and they fall off the cliff and fly around in Part 2, it looks almost the exact same as what happened between the Trio and Yaxley in Part 1. This led me to believe that it wasn't so much "Harry and Voldy are connected" (because they technically aren't anymore; the horcrux in Harry is already gone by this point), but it's more of a side effect of an apparation gone awry. (Granted I am assuming that when Voldy turns to black wisps and floats around he's apparating in a sense.) That's why they get all funky looking and "morph" together.

Well, that's the end of my rambling.

I absolutely loved that small moment of McGonagall telling them to blow it up, that Seamus has "an affinity" for explosions, such an excellent and hilarious call back all the way to film one (& then others later of course), for as much of a side character as he was.

but you mentioning Slughorn, yea they truly did have the likes of him and Trelawney back just more for the sake of "everyone returns" for the last go round, because I think between them, Thompson and Broadbent shared about 5 seconds of screen time and one piddly line

speaking of Fiennes' acting, one of the smaller changes made for the film that I enjoyed, showing Voldemort killing Thickness so suddenly because his nerves are totally frayed at this point and Thickness has the stupidity to even begin to question his actions in the heat of the moment.

Last edited by junior94; 08-21-2011 at 07:26 PM.
    Old 08-21-2011, 07:31 PM   #3172
    TrippingBilly95
    ... Up to something...

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    but you mentioning Slughorn, yea they truly did have the likes of him and Trelawney back just more for the sake of "everyone returns" for the last go round, because I think between them, Thompson and Broadbent shared about 5 seconds of screen time and one piddly line
    Yeah if I'm not mistaken Slughorn mumbles some protective spells, says "Harry," , and later says something about the battle after it's over, while Trelawney mutters something as her and Padma pull a cloth over someone. And that's it. Such... good actors... what a waste...

But I am very thankful they're at least back. It seems insignificant now, but if they weren't there, we the fans would be complaining to no end.
    Old 08-21-2011, 07:52 PM   #3173
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TrippingBilly95 View Post
    Yeah if I'm not mistaken Slughorn mumbles some protective spells, says "Harry," , and later says something about the battle after it's over, while Trelawney mutters something as her and Padma pull a cloth over someone. And that's it. Such... good actors... what a waste...

But I am very thankful they're at least back. It seems insignificant now, but if they weren't there, we the fans would be complaining to no end.
    That reminds me, a small thing I've been forgetting to mention forever. Granted, I can't recall if this happens in the book, but in the movie when they first approach the Lestrange vault and come across the clankers, Griphook says how the dragon's been trained to expect pain when it hears it, and Hermione says reproachfully, "that's barbaric". But I remember thinking at the time, umm... if you didn't have that tool to use, you wouldn't have a friggin prayer of getting anywhere even close to accessing that vault so it's like it made me wonder in retrospect why they bothered to have Hermione say that line. But, I guess it's a way to still have some of her character show thru even in a moment where harsh measures must be taken to accomplish your goal.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:08 PM   #3174
    Jimi Thing 10

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

I think she says that in the book.
    Jimi Thing 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-21-2011, 10:02 PM   #3175
    TrippingBilly95
    ... Up to something...

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    That reminds me, a small thing I've been forgetting to mention forever. Granted, I can't recall if this happens in the book, but in the movie when they first approach the Lestrange vault and come across the clankers, Griphook says how the dragon's been trained to expect pain when it hears it, and Hermione says reproachfully, "that's barbaric". But I remember thinking at the time, umm... if you didn't have that tool to use, you wouldn't have a friggin prayer of getting anywhere even close to accessing that vault so it's like it made me wonder in retrospect why they bothered to have Hermione say that line. But, I guess it's a way to still have some of her character show thru even in a moment where harsh measures must be taken to accomplish your goal.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimi Thing 10 View Post
    I think she says that in the book.
    Yeah I thought so too, and I thought it was a throwback to when Harry and Ron are playing wizard's chess in Philosopher's Stone and Hermione goes, "That's totally barbaric!"
    Old 08-22-2011, 09:20 PM   #3176
    newscane
    It's all about the..

Shows Seen: 85

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I absolutely loved that small moment of McGonagall telling them to blow it up, that Seamus has "an affinity" for explosions, such an excellent and hilarious call back all the way to film one (& then others later of course), for as much of a side character as he was.

speaking of Fiennes' acting, one of the smaller changes made for the film that I enjoyed, showing Voldemort killing Thickness so suddenly because his nerves are totally frayed at this point and Thickness has the stupidity to even begin to question his actions in the heat of the moment.
    a la the end of TWW?
    my taping | my coverart | my shows
    newscane is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-23-2011, 07:08 AM   #3177
    dmbgodagirl41
    Go. Tommy. Go.

My Tour Central Stats

Is it wrong that I was completely annoyed that you never saw Kreacher leading the house elves into the Battle of Hogwarts? Kreacher is painted to be such a terrible little asshole the entire movies and books, and it was so great to see him come through for Harry at the end. I felt the same about how they fucked up Dudley's part in the first DH movie. Dammit, I wanted to see the house elves kick some ass!
    Calm down, 12.
    Old 08-23-2011, 07:53 AM   #3178
    Beefsteak1138

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Holy crap The Goblet of Fire is long.
    Beefsteak1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-23-2011, 08:19 AM   #3179
    junior94
    not a unique snowflake

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Is it wrong that I was completely annoyed that you never saw Kreacher leading the house elves into the Battle of Hogwarts? Kreacher is painted to be such a terrible little asshole the entire movies and books, and it was so great to see him come through for Harry at the end. I felt the same about how they fucked up Dudley's part in the first DH movie. Dammit, I wanted to see the house elves kick some ass!
    well at least Dudley's moment is still there in the movie 1, it's just a deleted scene.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:24 PM   #3180
    TrippingBilly95
    ... Up to something...

My Tour Central Stats

I found it so funny in the books that the kitchen house-elves were hacking at Death Eater's ankles with meat cleavers and knives. And you really get to see Kreacher show utter devotion to Harry after being a little twerp for so long.

Tags
    katie is a gryffinwhore , katie is a whorecrux , merlin's beard! , p.s.: the bird bites , the boy who lived