I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good - Page 10 - Antsmarching.org Forums

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums > Archive > 'Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King' Album Discussion


Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2010, 03:03 PM   #271
Norman Smiley
Fucking Douche
 
Norman Smiley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,668

Shows Seen: 89

Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

This song just popped up on my Pandora. It is such an amazing song. Definitely Big 3 good.

I am glad that Dave has not played this song out -- as he did Sister.
__________________
"Maybe it's the altitude, but I feel pretty good tonight" DM 9-10-05

"I do not read the reviews. No, I am not singing for you."
Norman Smiley is offline  

  • Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 09-09-2010, 09:02 PM   #272
    DMB41GUY
     
    DMB41GUY's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2002
    Location: Los Angeles
    Posts: 425

    Shows Seen: 46

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    I thought Baby Blue was alright until I caught it at the Greek last year... I was blown away by that performance. Definitely a great song.

    LITHOG has definitely made it's way into my top 10 DMB songs. I never tire of it.
    DMB41GUY is offline  
    Old 09-21-2010, 08:28 PM   #273
    Arby
    We Have The Meats
     
    Arby's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Posts: 84,660

    Shows Seen: 24

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Norman Smiley View Post
    This song just popped up on my Pandora. It is such an amazing song. Definitely Big 3 good.

    I am glad that Dave has not played this song out -- as he did Sister.
    Overplayed? I dont think Baby Blue could be overplayed. Its too damn good.
    __________________
    -Arby
    Arby is offline  
    Old 09-21-2010, 08:36 PM   #274
    kittensXLI
    Save_Us.Y2J
     
    kittensXLI's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Posts: 66,565

    Shows Seen: 6

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    I've gone to four shows in the last two years and unfortunately heard Baby Blue zero times. I definitely don't think it's overplayed.
    kittensXLI is offline  
    Old 09-21-2010, 09:23 PM   #275
    CGTP13
     
    CGTP13's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2009
    Posts: 10,640

    Shows Seen: 6

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    Why is Baby Blue praised as much as it is while Sister is constantly shit on? They are both very similar musically and the lyrics to both are personal to Dave. I don't see a big difference between them.
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbmike09 View Post
    No. The only important thing is knowing the show you went to was better than the shows everyone else went to. Everything else is meaningless.
    CGTP13 is offline  
    Old 09-21-2010, 09:28 PM   #276
    kittensXLI
    Save_Us.Y2J
     
    kittensXLI's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Posts: 66,565

    Shows Seen: 6

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    I like Sister.
    kittensXLI is offline  
    Old 09-21-2010, 09:31 PM   #277
    CGTP13
     
    CGTP13's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2009
    Posts: 10,640

    Shows Seen: 6

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kittensXLI View Post
    I like Sister.
    As do I. I just wonder why it gets so much hate on the boards when other "quiet" songs like Baby Blue are beloved.
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbmike09 View Post
    No. The only important thing is knowing the show you went to was better than the shows everyone else went to. Everything else is meaningless.
    CGTP13 is offline  
    Old 09-21-2010, 09:33 PM   #278
    kittensXLI
    Save_Us.Y2J
     
    kittensXLI's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Posts: 66,565

    Shows Seen: 6

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    Sister was a set killer and Baby Blue is OMG ROI.
    kittensXLI is offline  
    Old 09-21-2010, 09:39 PM   #279
    CGTP13
     
    CGTP13's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2009
    Posts: 10,640

    Shows Seen: 6

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kittensXLI View Post
    Sister was a set killer and Baby Blue is OMG ROI.
    That's exactly what I think it is. People love BB because they think it's about Roi but Sister is crap because they don't feel a personal connection to it.
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbmike09 View Post
    No. The only important thing is knowing the show you went to was better than the shows everyone else went to. Everything else is meaningless.
    CGTP13 is offline  
    Old 09-21-2010, 09:41 PM   #280
    Arby
    We Have The Meats
     
    Arby's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Posts: 84,660

    Shows Seen: 24

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CGTP13 View Post
    Why is Baby Blue praised as much as it is while Sister is constantly shit on? They are both very similar musically and the lyrics to both are personal to Dave. I don't see a big difference between them.
    Im sure Dave has a ton of personal lyrics. Musically the riff is very similar but lyrically they are very different. Sister isnt terrible, but the lyrics just dont do much for me. Baby Blue, the lyrics are brilliant,,,truely brilliant. The vocal delivery is amazing too....just the shakey raw emotion on the album version.
    __________________
    -Arby
    Arby is offline  
    Old 09-21-2010, 09:45 PM   #281
    CGTP13
     
    CGTP13's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2009
    Posts: 10,640

    Shows Seen: 6

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by som3d3vil34 View Post
    Im sure Dave has a ton of personal lyrics. Musically the riff is very similar but lyrically they are very different. Sister isnt terrible, but the lyrics just dont do much for me. Baby Blue, the lyrics are brilliant,,,truely brilliant. The vocal delivery is amazing too....just the shakey raw emotion on the album version.
    I guess I just don't see the big difference that makes one of the songs crap and the other brilliant.
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbmike09 View Post
    No. The only important thing is knowing the show you went to was better than the shows everyone else went to. Everything else is meaningless.
    CGTP13 is offline  
    Old 09-21-2010, 09:50 PM   #282
    Arby
    We Have The Meats
     
    Arby's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Posts: 84,660

    Shows Seen: 24

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CGTP13 View Post
    I guess I just don't see the big difference that makes one of the songs crap and the other brilliant.
    I definitely dont think Sister is crap. Its not bad at all, but it is a set killer when you're live at the show. I feel the same way about Out of my Hands. Very good album tune, but live its just an energy killer.


    But IMO Sister and Baby Blue are definitely different enough for each other where I can understand people liking one and hating the other. Just because they have a similar riff doesnt make them similar songs.
    __________________
    -Arby
    Arby is offline  
    Old 09-21-2010, 09:52 PM   #283
    CGTP13
     
    CGTP13's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2009
    Posts: 10,640

    Shows Seen: 6

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by som3d3vil34 View Post
    I definitely dont think Sister is crap. Its not bad at all, but it is a set killer when you're live at the show. I feel the same way about Out of my Hands. Very good album tune, but live its just an energy killer.


    But IMO Sister and Baby Blue are definitely different enough for each other where I can understand people liking one and hating the other. Just because they have a similar riff doesnt make them similar songs.
    So Sister is a set killer at a show. What about when Baby Blue is played midset as it was a few times this year?
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbmike09 View Post
    No. The only important thing is knowing the show you went to was better than the shows everyone else went to. Everything else is meaningless.
    CGTP13 is offline  
    Old 09-21-2010, 09:55 PM   #284
    Arby
    We Have The Meats
     
    Arby's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Posts: 84,660

    Shows Seen: 24

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CGTP13 View Post
    So Sister is a set killer at a show. What about when Baby Blue is played midset as it was a few times this year?
    I cant say from personal experience since I havent seen the song live yet. But I really want to see it, so I know it wouldnt kill a set for me. I love the song and really want to hear it live. Sister, I think the song is decent but I can easily do without seeing it live...again.
    __________________
    -Arby
    Arby is offline  
    Old 09-21-2010, 09:59 PM   #285
    kittensXLI
    Save_Us.Y2J
     
    kittensXLI's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Posts: 66,565

    Shows Seen: 6

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    I really don't think I'll ever get to hear Baby Blue live after missing it over the last two years.
    kittensXLI is offline  
    Old 09-21-2010, 10:00 PM   #286
    CGTP13
     
    CGTP13's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2009
    Posts: 10,640

    Shows Seen: 6

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by som3d3vil34 View Post
    I cant say from personal experience since I havent seen the song live yet. But I really want to see it, so I know it wouldnt kill a set for me. I love the song and really want to hear it live. Sister, I think the song is decent but I can easily do without seeing it live...again.
    I'd love to hear Baby Blue as well, I can do without Sister at a show since I've heard at 2 out my 3 shows. But there are several songs I'd prefer e1 over Baby Blue.

    And I think I misinterpreted what you meant by "kill a set", I think you meant it as takes the show down a notch? I meant it as it takes the life out of the crowd (which both songs do when played IMO)
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbmike09 View Post
    No. The only important thing is knowing the show you went to was better than the shows everyone else went to. Everything else is meaningless.
    CGTP13 is offline  
    Old 09-21-2010, 10:05 PM   #287
    Arby
    We Have The Meats
     
    Arby's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Posts: 84,660

    Shows Seen: 24

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CGTP13 View Post
    I'd love to hear Baby Blue as well, I can do without Sister at a show since I've heard at 2 out my 3 shows. But there are several songs I'd prefer e1 over Baby Blue.

    And I think I misinterpreted what you meant by "kill a set", I think you meant it as takes the show down a notch? I meant it as it takes the life out of the crowd (which both songs do when played IMO)

    Yea I meant takes the energy out of the crowd, or mose specifically - me. When a song like Sister starts I watch and listen, but really Im kinda just waiting for it to end so they can start the next song. I dont really care about crowd energy (actually I kind of do, because the band really does feed off of it).
    __________________
    -Arby
    Arby is offline  
    Old 09-21-2010, 10:07 PM   #288
    kittensXLI
    Save_Us.Y2J
     
    kittensXLI's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Posts: 66,565

    Shows Seen: 6

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    Honestly, I don't care about crowd energy either, for the most part. I'm going to love, or attempt to love, every second of a show possible.
    kittensXLI is offline  
    Old 09-21-2010, 10:08 PM   #289
    CGTP13
     
    CGTP13's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2009
    Posts: 10,640

    Shows Seen: 6

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by som3d3vil34 View Post
    Yea I meant takes the energy out of the crowd, or mose specifically - me. When a song like Sister starts I watch and listen, but really Im kinda just waiting for it to end so they can start the next song. I dont really care about crowd energy (actually I kind of do, because the band really does feed off of it).
    I think that kind of goes for any of the quiet songs though. And now that I've seen Sister, I'm the same way in just waiting for the next song.
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbmike09 View Post
    No. The only important thing is knowing the show you went to was better than the shows everyone else went to. Everything else is meaningless.
    CGTP13 is offline  
    Old 04-15-2011, 11:31 PM   #290
    GoLdpHiShDMB
    Broad St. Bullies
     
    GoLdpHiShDMB's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2002
    Location: Pennsylvania
    Posts: 20,968

    Shows Seen: 27
    Send a message via AIM to GoLdpHiShDMB

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    i think the album should have ended w/ baby blue. cut out you&me
    __________________
    -Mike-
    GoLdpHiShDMB is offline  
    Old 04-15-2011, 11:33 PM   #291
    kittensXLI
    Save_Us.Y2J
     
    kittensXLI's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Posts: 66,565

    Shows Seen: 6

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    I'd cut about half the album before You & Me.
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LadyMadonna68 View Post
    Why the spike in candy consumption?
    kittensXLI is offline  
    Old 04-16-2011, 12:11 AM   #292
    GoLdpHiShDMB
    Broad St. Bullies
     
    GoLdpHiShDMB's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2002
    Location: Pennsylvania
    Posts: 20,968

    Shows Seen: 27
    Send a message via AIM to GoLdpHiShDMB

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    i like the beginning of you & me but then it gets too annoying for me. theres only a few songs on this album i could listen to often. shake me, lying in the hands, time bomb, and baby blue. still tho i was very impressed and overall enjoy the cd.
    __________________
    -Mike-
    GoLdpHiShDMB is offline  
    Old 04-16-2011, 01:55 PM   #293
    eric81485
    288
     
    eric81485's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Sep 2003
    Location: PA
    Posts: 4,654

    Shows Seen: 29
    Send a message via AIM to eric81485

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GoLdpHiShDMB View Post
    i think the album should have ended w/ baby blue. cut out you&me
    I agree. Ending with baby blue would have been a better move.
    __________________
    ~Eric
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k270 View Post
    Next time DMB plays Warehouse, instead of the "Woooos", maybe all should chant "Hey Zeus"
    eric81485 is offline  
    Old 04-16-2011, 01:59 PM   #294
    hmich176
    SarcMark(TM)
     
    hmich176's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Mar 2008
    Location: Greensburg, PA
    Posts: 9,716

    Shows Seen: 11

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    I would have swapped Dive In for Beach Ball, added Little Red Bird between Seven and Time Bomb, and swapped You & Me for Write A Song.
    __________________
    Greetings: I'm Harry. I'm on various social media sites but check out my page on Untappd. My favorite beer is Founders Imperial Stout.
    Quote:
    The last chorus of Belly Belly Nice is acceptable to sing, but the third verse of Grey Street is not? #OccupyGreyStreet
    hmich176 is offline  
    Old 04-16-2011, 04:00 PM   #295
    kittensXLI
    Save_Us.Y2J
     
    kittensXLI's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Posts: 66,565

    Shows Seen: 6

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    Wow, no thank you to all of that.
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LadyMadonna68 View Post
    Why the spike in candy consumption?
    kittensXLI is offline  
    Old 04-16-2011, 04:07 PM   #296
    GoLdpHiShDMB
    Broad St. Bullies
     
    GoLdpHiShDMB's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2002
    Location: Pennsylvania
    Posts: 20,968

    Shows Seen: 27
    Send a message via AIM to GoLdpHiShDMB

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kittensXLI View Post
    Wow, no thank you to all of that.
    you and me together we can do anything bbbbbbbb-baby
    __________________
    -Mike-
    GoLdpHiShDMB is offline  
    Old 04-16-2011, 04:42 PM   #297
    kittensXLI
    Save_Us.Y2J
     
    kittensXLI's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2005
    Posts: 66,565

    Shows Seen: 6

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GoLdpHiShDMB View Post
    you and me together we can do anything bbbbbbbb-baby
    all the world is gumball shaped!!!
    __________________
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LadyMadonna68 View Post
    Why the spike in candy consumption?
    kittensXLI is offline  
    Old 04-17-2011, 03:30 PM   #298
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator
     
    ExistenceNow's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Aug 2004
    Location: Austin, Tx
    Posts: 65,749

    Shows Seen: 100

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    I'd definitely take Beach Ball over Dive In. Dive In is wretched.


    As to Baby Blue, I like Sister more.
    __________________
    -Matthew
    ExistenceNow is online now  
    Old 04-17-2011, 05:29 PM   #299
    nikkidmb
    I sleep lengthwise
     
    nikkidmb's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Nov 2010
    Location: Assachusetts
    Posts: 11,268

    Shows Seen: 20

    Re: I can pretty comfortably say that Baby Blue is Big 3 good

    Sister is amazing, but not as lyrically or vocally powerful as baby blue. I heard baby blue the first time and i was absolutely blown away. I cried...and the live factor would just heap more emotion into it. Sister really is in the same category, and we all are more tied to BB. I could never get tired of either, and most BW songs are like that for me as well....Dive in is amazing!!??
    nikkidmb is offline  
     

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off

    Forum Jump


    Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:47 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
    Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


       
    Site LinksAbout AntsAnts MobileTweet Tweet
    Home
    Ants+
    Tour Central
    Search bar
    RSS Feeds
    About Us
    Contact Us
    The Ants Blog
    Advertise on Ants
    Ants on your cell phone
    iAnts
    mobile news
    mobile setlists
    antslive!
    Ants' Twitter
    DMBLive Twitter
    Matt's Twitter
    Jake's Twitter
    Joe's Twitter