Big Whiskey's Future - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 06-09-2009, 09:45 PM   #61
TheLastStop123
paper hands

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Big Whiskey's Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmytree View Post
Why do all of these songs need long solos to be "prime finished versions?" Why does it seem like a song needs to have a long instrumental break to be great?
you ever listen to the big 3? it's very obvious that DMB's (in most cases) longer songs (at least on a studio cut) are very, very good. Take Bartender or Dreaming Tree or even Crush as examples. All fantastic in the studio, also fantastic live.

there's just something to be said about the way the songs were produced and made on the big 3 that can't be said for the rest of the albums. It's pretty plain and simple to me.

With that being said, DMB is a different band now and even though they may not be making the same music they did, this album is still damn good.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-09-2009, 09:51 PM   #62
    gonz085
    Tag Team Back Again

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Why do all of these songs need long solos to be "prime finished versions?" Why does it seem like a song needs to have a long instrumental break to be great?
    In my opinion it was what made their first three albums so great. The fact that they took some risks with solos and really taking each song into a completely different level. What would you think of 41, LIOG, Two Step, the stone, drive in drive out, etc. if they just ended whenever dave was done singing? I'm not calling you out with this, but i hate when I try to get people turned on to DMB and they pretty much say "why did he stop singing, put on another song, what are they doing?" It's these solos by Boyd, now Jeff, Carter that really make their music so great

Last edited by gonz085; 06-09-2009 at 09:52 PM.
    Old 06-09-2009, 10:08 PM   #63
    inmytree

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gonz085 View Post
    In my opinion it was what made their first three albums so great. The fact that they took some risks with solos and really taking each song into a completely different level. What would you think of 41, LIOG, Two Step, the stone, drive in drive out, etc. if they just ended whenever dave was done singing? I'm not calling you out with this, but i hate when I try to get people turned on to DMB and they pretty much say "why did he stop singing, put on another song, what are they doing?" It's these solos by Boyd, now Jeff, Carter that really make their music so great
    Well, personally I think it was their songs, and the arrangements they came up with, that made them great. That's what separates DMB from Umphrey's McGee and all that other stuff; if the song isn't any good, what's the point if there's a good jam at the end? And those earlier songs were incredible, with the longer instrumental passages included, but what I don't get is when it becomes that a DMB song is not good if does not include a long, instrumental passage. For me, what is important is the vocal and the lyric being top-notch. It's that I'm excited to listen to it, and I feel like DMB is stretching their boundaries. The arrangement needs to be great, and the musicianship needs to keep drawing me back. Am I opposed to a two-minute Boyd solo at the end? Of course not, if it fits with the song. But I'm also not going to dismiss a song because it doesn't have that, or think that it's automatically inferior to a song that does. That just seems like a narrow definition of what DMB is and is not allowed to do.

I want them to be as good as their first three albums, but I think alot of people feel like that for an album to be as good as them, it needs to sound exactly like them, and have the exact same trademarks. I don't agree with that.
    Old 06-09-2009, 10:17 PM   #64
    gonz085
    Tag Team Back Again

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Well, personally I think it was their songs, and the arrangements they came up with, that made them great. That's what separates DMB from Umphrey's McGee and all that other stuff; if the song isn't any good, what's the point if there's a good jam at the end? And those earlier songs were incredible, with the longer instrumental passages included, but what I don't get is when it becomes that a DMB song is not good if does not include a long, instrumental passage. For me, what is important is the vocal and the lyric being top-notch. It's that I'm excited to listen to it, and I feel like DMB is stretching their boundaries. The arrangement needs to be great, and the musicianship needs to keep drawing me back. Am I opposed to a two-minute Boyd solo at the end? Of course not, if it fits with the song. But I'm also not going to dismiss a song because it doesn't have that, or think that it's automatically inferior to a song that does. That just seems like a narrow definition of what DMB is and is not allowed to do.

I want them to be as good as their first three albums, but I think alot of people feel like that for an album to be as good as them, it needs to sound exactly like them, and have the exact same trademarks. I don't agree with that.
    Yeah, I know you didn't say this, but it sounds like you're assuming I don't like this album. Well, I actually love the album, I just kinda wish they did some more with it. Not all the songs need instrumentals, but just how badass would an extended jam on the Time Bomb intro sound? or outro for Squirm? you know?

anyways, I figure those songs will grow in a few years. I really just hoped they would have some great studio cuts with some jams on em. thats all.
    Old 06-09-2009, 10:51 PM   #65
    RaptorsorPeople

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gonz085 View Post
    DMB's soloists have not taken risks on these past records.
    Old 06-09-2009, 11:05 PM   #66
    gonz085
    Tag Team Back Again

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RaptorsorPeople View Post
    DMB's soloists have not taken risks on these past records.
    exactly my point
    Old 06-12-2009, 09:41 AM   #67
    GratefulDean

My Tour Central Stats

[SIZE=2]I know a lot of people will hate this, but I think this album might be better than BTCS. Don't get me wrong, I love that album but it never really moved me the way UTTAD and Crash did. I've given BW a solid week to digest and it's really got me hooked. I haven't been this engrossed in a new release since Crash. I don't love every song on the album, but it is easily listened to all the way through. With BTCS I would do a lot of song jumping. I guess time will tell, but right now I'm really diggin' this one.
    [/SIZE]
    Old 06-12-2009, 10:16 AM   #68
    JLynhurst
    A collection of cells

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bafugama View Post
    I see a bunch of places in these songs for them to develop in the future. We must be listening to different albums.
    I agree. Everytime I watch Seven at Beacon, I feel like they are going to come right in at the very end with the fourth part of that song and jam it out. I can even see Boyd putting a long violin solo on it, like he does with Louisiana Bayou. That's going to happen at some point this summer, and I think that there are spaces in a lot of the BW songs for similar jams to happen.

I honestly put BW at 2, behind BTCS and ahead of UTTAD and Crash. This comes from a fan who only listened to studio albums until going to my first live show much later, when I was in college. It really is one of their best albums.
    Old 06-12-2009, 10:24 AM   #69
    Philmb

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

In a few years most fans will rank it the same. Under the big 3, above the rest
    Old 06-12-2009, 01:26 PM   #70
    Bafugama
    I'm Not Bruce Willis.

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLynhurst View Post
    I agree. Everytime I watch Seven at Beacon, I feel like they are going to come right in at the very end with the fourth part of that song and jam it out. I can even see Boyd putting a long violin solo on it, like he does with Louisiana Bayou. That's going to happen at some point this summer, and I think that there are spaces in a lot of the BW songs for similar jams to happen.

I honestly put BW at 2, behind BTCS and ahead of UTTAD and Crash. This comes from a fan who only listened to studio albums until going to my first live show much later, when I was in college. It really is one of their best albums.
    This would be how I rank the albums, also.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by efraser77 View Post
    You are the John McClane of teh Interwebz, cuz you killed it just now.
    Old 06-13-2009, 01:38 PM   #71
    lestat1600
    Big Whiskey/Gorge 09

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

it will continue to grow, it already is and other threads and replies alreays prove this
    Old 06-14-2009, 09:08 AM   #72
    pearlmathewsjam

My Tour Central Stats

Hey I just joined here to post a thread saying how amazing this album is. (cant since I just joined)

But anyway, this album is incredible. It will easily be considered one of their best over time. there isn't a single bad song on it, and almost all of them are amazing. SMLAM is such a kick ass song to jam to. LITHOG completely sounds like it was from crowded streets. Why I am is really good, but I dont think its the standout song. Dive in and Spaceman are great middle songs. Squirm is just a flat out epic song, totally reminds me of something from crowded streets. Alligator Pie has the SICKEST groove at the end and during the beginning where it just all of a sudden gets slow. Seven is just funky and off time. I love odd grooves as I am a drummer. Time Bomb is very simple and dark, and his screaming at the end is just sick. You and Me and Baby Blue are probably my least favorites, but I still like them.

Last edited by pearlmathewsjam; 06-14-2009 at 09:13 AM.
    Old 06-14-2009, 09:41 AM   #73
    dmaul1114

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

After listening to all the albums the past couple of days I'd rank them as follows currently:

BTCS
    Crash
    Big Whiskey
    UTTAD
    Busted Stuff
    Everyday
    Stand Up

It's the same as my original rankings after a few listens of BW, other than I moved BW ahead of UTTAD. There's still just a few songs on UTTAD that I've never really gotten into, whereas I enjoy all the tracks on BW.