**The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread** - Page 513 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-26-2017, 10:56 AM   #15361
AlexK79
Let There Be Rock

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Re: **The Official Vinyl Collectors Thread**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny003 View Post
I didn't want to start a new thread and I didn't know where else to ask this, where is the Red Rocks vinyl being discussed? I can't find a thread about it anywhere on the site, but I have to believe one exists. With people having a chance to listen to it I was curious to know what the feedback has been about it.
There's a thread in DMBc about it and we've definitely discussed it in here quite a bit as well...fire away!

I personally love it. Bellman did a fantastic job with the remaster and it sounds great. I got the RSD version and my copy was dead flat and dead quiet.

DMB 2023: Nashville, Milwaukee, Deer Creek x2, Chicago x2
AlexK79 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-26-2017, 10:56 AM   #15362
    AndySlash
    Falling Hard

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

https://antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=344480

start at page 11 or so.

since you're local, cheapo in st paul still has an rsd copy on their shelf (as of a week or two ago) if it's something you decide to buy. i think it was $85.

Discogs
    AndySlash is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-26-2017, 11:02 AM   #15363
    Benny003

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AndySlash View Post
    https://antsmarching.org/forum/showthread.php?t=344480

start at page 11 or so.

since you're local, cheapo in st paul still has an rsd copy on their shelf (as of a week or two ago) if it's something you decide to buy. i think it was $85.
    I actually bought it from WH, just arrived last week (although it sat in the mailbox at work for a week because nobody got the mail for some reason).

Thanks for linking to that thread. So there's no dedicated thread for it in DMBc? That's surprises me since all the other vinyl releases got separate threads.
    Benny003 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-26-2017, 11:08 AM   #15364
    BTBaboon

Shows Seen: 31

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I didn't want to start a new thread and I didn't know where else to ask this, where is the Red Rocks vinyl being discussed? I can't find a thread about it anywhere on the site, but I have to believe one exists. With people having a chance to listen to it I was curious to know what the feedback has been about it.
    AndySlash linked it, it is a dedicated thread though it started only with speculation before the official announcement; but this is also a good place to discuss.

I have both the silver RSD release and now the black (because I'm a completist and addict). I'm a big fan of this release - both because it's one of my favorite DMB live releases in general, and because Chris Bellman did some really nice work. The sound is clear and crisp and each instrument has good separation. To me, I'd say this is the most "in the room" LeRoi has been on any of the live vinyl releases - you can "feel" his presence in nearly every song.

Some complained in the DMBc thread about skipping issues, but outside of a locked groove that Doby demonstrated (due to something stuck in the groove, from what I recall), it seems that most skipping issues are a result of low-end tables that don't track dynamic passages well or VTF/alignment issues

Last edited by BTBaboon; 06-26-2017 at 11:09 AM.
    BTBaboon is online now   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-26-2017, 11:16 AM   #15365
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Great, glad to hear they did this release right. Hopefully I can give it a spin tonight. That album was very important in my evolution as a fan about 17 years ago when I was first getting into them.
    Old 06-27-2017, 06:00 AM   #15366
    schutter

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

This has been talked about in the RR95 vinyl release thread in DMBc but I wanted to post here for those having skipping issues. I purchased the RSD version of RR95 and played it on my AT60 and it skipped all over the place. Unlistenable really. I just received a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon for Father's Day and the LP's play perfectly. Others have stated this same fact, but I just wanted to throw it out there as having experienced both sides of the coin. For those with an AT60, save your pennies and upgrade when you can. You won't regret it.
    Old 06-27-2017, 06:05 AM   #15367
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by schutter View Post
    This has been talked about in the RR95 vinyl release thread in DMBc but I wanted to post here for those having skipping issues. I purchased the RSD version of RR95 and played it on my AT60 and it skipped all over the place. Unlistenable really. I just received a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon for Father's Day and the LP's play perfectly. Others have stated this same fact, but I just wanted to throw it out there as having experienced both sides of the coin. For those with an AT60, save your pennies and upgrade when you can. You won't regret it.

Very solid advice. The Pro-ject is a really nice table and is a night/day upgrade to the AT-LP60.

Glad to hear some confirmation on that issue too. Too many people are super quick to just say "another fucked up DMB vinyl release" when that isn't the case here. This is beautiful product and a well done release all around
    Old 06-27-2017, 07:28 AM   #15368
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BTBaboon View Post

Very solid advice. The Pro-ject is a really nice table and is a night/day upgrade to the AT-LP60.

Glad to hear some confirmation on that issue too. Too many people are super quick to just say "another fucked up DMB vinyl release" when that isn't the case here. This is beautiful product and a well done release all around
    I played the RR95 black vinyl from the WH last night for the first time on my Pro-ject Debut III and it was a horrible experience. Listening to Seek Up it basically skipped every 30 seconds. Sometimes it would eventually plow through it after skipping 5 or 6 times, other times I had to get up to reset it. I tried increasing the tracking weight, but that didn't do anything. After about the 12th different spot of skipping that I counted I just gave up. I wanted to smash the record with a hammer at that point. I tried brushing the record off with a carbon fiber brush 3 times. The last time I did it with a flash light to make sure I got every little piece of dust off it. I tried cleaning my needle with a needle brush as well. No difference.

When it played it sounded good, but it was unlistenable with the skipping. I have probably 60 or 70 vinyl albums in my collection and I've never had such a bad skipping problem before. What am I missing?
    Old 06-27-2017, 07:30 AM   #15369
    rschlad04

Shows Seen: 50

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Out of curiosity, which vinyl releases have they screwed up? I've played all of them on my debut carbon, haven't noticed any major problems. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

"This is a love song, its more specifically about fucking" - DJM
    rschlad04 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-27-2017, 07:42 AM   #15370
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I played the RR95 black vinyl from the WH last night for the first time on my Pro-ject Debut III and it was a horrible experience. Listening to Seek Up it basically skipped every 30 seconds. Sometimes it would eventually plow through it after skipping 5 or 6 times, other times I had to get up to reset it. I tried increasing the tracking weight, but that didn't do anything. After about the 12th different spot of skipping that I counted I just gave up. I wanted to smash the record with a hammer at that point. I tried brushing the record off with a carbon fiber brush 3 times. The last time I did it with a flash light to make sure I got every little piece of dust off it. I tried cleaning my needle with a needle brush as well. No difference.

When it played it sounded good, but it was unlistenable with the skipping. I have probably 60 or 70 vinyl albums in my collection and I've never had such a bad skipping problem before. What am I missing?
    First question would be is the skip a "jump", meaning it skips ahead; or is it a repetitive skip? A repetitive skip means there's a particle in the groove and can probably be fixed with a wet clean. If it is a jump skip, check for physical damage. A jump-type skip should only occur with a noticeable physical damage to the groove. Otherwise it is calibration, and the needle isn't properly tracking through the grooves and dynamic passages. Check to ensure your VTF is near the high end of the factory settings, make sure the cantilever isn't bent, and check for proper cart alignment

Let me know if any of that helps.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rschlad04 View Post
    Out of curiosity, which vinyl releases have they screwed up? I've played all of them on my debut carbon, haven't noticed any major problems. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Well Big Whiskey had off center pressings as well as wrong sides (side B was actually side D, etc). AFTW was basically just the CD pressed to vinyl, so not a fuck up, just a waste. UTTAD had a mispress with the wrong version of Jimi Thing, plus they used the analog tapes for the remaster but cut from digital - another wasted chance for improved fidelity. Then the Crash splatter release from Amazon wasn't as pretty as they advertised.

Some legit complaints, some not so much.
    Old 06-27-2017, 07:42 AM   #15371
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

From a pressing standpoint they've generally all been fine (though I do recall some copies of Big Whiskey were off-centered?) But there have been a couple other issues like the horrid sounding AFTW vinyl and the now legendary Jimi Thing mistake on UTTAD.

Recently, RTT, Crash, Red Rocks, and the Live Trax series have all been stellar though, IMO.

DMB 2023: Nashville, Milwaukee, Deer Creek x2, Chicago x2
    AlexK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-27-2017, 07:44 AM   #15372
    rschlad04

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    First question would be is the skip a "jump", meaning it skips ahead; or is it a repetitive skip? A repetitive skip means there's a particle in the groove and can probably be fixed with a wet clean. If it is a jump skip, check for physical damage. A jump-type skip should only occur with a noticeable physical damage to the groove. Otherwise it is calibration, and the needle isn't properly tracking through the grooves and dynamic passages. Check to ensure your VTF is near the high end of the factory settings, make sure the cantilever isn't bent, and check for proper cart alignment

Well Big Whiskey had off center pressings as well as wrong sides (side B was actually side D, etc). AFTW was basically just the CD pressed to vinyl, so not a fuck up, just a waste. UTTAD had a mispress with the wrong version of Jimi Thing, plus they used the analog tapes for the remaster but cut from digital - another wasted chance for improved fidelity. Then the Crash splatter release from Amazon wasn't as pretty as they advertised.

Some legit complaints, some not so much.
    I guess I forgot about some of those. Aftw is terrible. All the lts are great to me.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:38 AM   #15373
    schutter

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Listening to RR95 on a turntable that doesn't skip makes me want to buy the Live Trax LP's but the prices on ebay are unreal. Wish there were more reasonably priced options out there!

Quote:

Old 06-27-2017, 09:08 AM   #15374
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Listening to RR95 on a turntable that doesn't skip makes me want to buy the Live Trax LP's but the prices on ebay are unreal. Wish there were more reasonably priced options out there!
    Keep an eye out on ebay and discogs for LT3 - LT5 black copies. They generally should go for ~$100ish, but I've seen a few near retail

LT3 would be my target, it's sublime
    Old 06-27-2017, 09:37 AM   #15375
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

They were all repeat skips. I've never wet cleaned any of my vinyl, so that would be a new adventure. I like vinyl when it works because it's a unique experience, but man is it a pain in the ass sometimes.
    Old 06-27-2017, 10:14 AM   #15376
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    They were all repeat skips. I've never wet cleaned any of my vinyl, so that would be a new adventure. I like vinyl when it works because it's a unique experience, but man is it a pain in the ass sometimes.
    That is true, there's a reason the CD nearly killed it. It's a niche medium, but can offer superior audio quality with a proper master and good press. Obviously there's a tangible aspect and aesthetic to it as well - but I prefer to target best sounding releases (minus DMB, where I am a collecting whore!)

Try giving it a solid clean. Use a microfiber cloth and distilled water. I think Doby demonstrated the issue in the RSD thread in DMBc, so perhaps he can weigh in

It's unfortunate, but should be a simple fix
    Old 06-27-2017, 11:37 AM   #15377
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

I've been collecting vinyl for about 16 years, since I was 18. These days I pretty much restrict myself to vinyl purchases that will provide better audio than available digital formats or is a really unique release that may not be available in high quality digital at all.
    Old 06-27-2017, 03:33 PM   #15378
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

I had #36 skip on a copy of RR95 I had, coolest skip I've ever heard. Fixed itself after about 45 seconds and didn't repeat so obviously particulate in the groove but was a damn tasty beat while it lasted.

Caught 20 secs or so on my phone - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoCGS9_wnQc

Doesn't contribute to the conversation at all, but it's a pretty cool skip!
    Old 06-27-2017, 03:57 PM   #15379
    rschlad04

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I love the Live trax releases, I spin them more than any of my vinyl. Very glad I bought them when released, can't believe the black version of LT1 sells for $200+

Quote:
    Just buy yourself a spin clean, or record doctor. You wont regret it.

Old 06-27-2017, 04:58 PM   #15380
    snake911

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Keep an eye out on ebay and discogs for LT3 - LT5 black copies. They generally should go for ~$100ish, but I've seen a few near retail

LT3 would be my target, it's sublime
    Amen to that! LT3 is my favorite anyway, and the vinyl is top notch.

RR95: if you like the album anyway, the vinyl will be great. Its not my favorite tape, the sounds they have going on the guitar and kick drum doesn't work for me. And the EQ causes the Bass to drift in and out of the mix depending on the register being played in. Roi is lights out fantastic throughout though. The RR95 vinyl could be seen as a tribute to him.
    snake911 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2017, 05:04 AM   #15381
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I love the Live trax releases, I spin them more than any of my vinyl. Very glad I bought them when released, can't believe the black version of LT1 sells for $200+
    Honestly, for a 4LP box set that only has 1,000 copies - $200 really isn't awful. I'd assume in a few years, barring a complete collapse in the vinyl market, it will end up going for a bit more.

Quote:
    Just buy yourself a spin clean, or record doctor. You wont regret it.
    This

At minimum a spin clean is a great start. I generally clean any used records I buy and any new vinyl that comes just in paper inner sleeves. It helps with static and gets an dust and grime off the surface

For a good groove clean, though, you probably want a true RCM.
    Old 06-28-2017, 11:03 AM   #15382
    mcwyffe
    MattsMarching #006

Shows Seen: 39

My Tour Central Stats

I absolutely love the Grateful Dead Europe 72 vol 2. Two from the vault was pretty nice too.

The dead now fill up a full cube for me lol
    mcwyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-29-2017, 12:40 PM   #15383
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Prepare for the return of the OBI strips?

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...30-year-hiatus
    Old 06-29-2017, 01:09 PM   #15384
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

It's not gonna help by vinyl playback, but I'm finally moving to two subs. Found a good deal (@ US$440) on an original Paradigm Servo 15 sub, so I'll have one v2 and one original v1. Mine reaches down to 12Hz, the original to 14Hz, mine is 114lbs, the original is 78lbs, mine is 1500W RMS, the original is 400W RMS, virtually identical footprints, can't wait!

Was holding out for an additional v2 but can't afford what it would cost (around US$750) and I'm positive that the original Servo 15 will be way beyond capable of its secondary supporting role.

\m/ \m/

No idea what to listen to first, perhaps some pipe organ fugue would be good?
    Old 06-29-2017, 01:18 PM   #15385
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Prepare for the return of the OBI strips?

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...30-year-hiatus
    I never understood the allure of those packages.
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-29-2017, 01:34 PM   #15386
    BTBaboon

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    I never understood the allure of those packages.
    The allure was, generally, that the Japanese releases were of high audio quality - the OBI strips were, for the most part, an easy indicator of high-end Japanese-produced quality music
    Old 06-29-2017, 09:27 PM   #15387
    snake911

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    It's not gonna help by vinyl playback, but I'm finally moving to two subs. Found a good deal (@ US$440) on an original Paradigm Servo 15 sub, so I'll have one v2 and one original v1. Mine reaches down to 12Hz, the original to 14Hz, mine is 114lbs, the original is 78lbs, mine is 1500W RMS, the original is 400W RMS, virtually identical footprints, can't wait!

Was holding out for an additional v2 but can't afford what it would cost (around US$750) and I'm positive that the original Servo 15 will be way beyond capable of its secondary supporting role.

\m/ \m/

My wife had a v1 servo 15 when we first met and was that ever an impressive sub. I was bummed when we moved in together (excited to move into a shared house, but bummed she was leaving that house) as it's owner decided to keep it. A pipe organ showcase sounds like the way to go. 👍
    snake911 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-30-2017, 10:09 AM   #15388
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post

\m/ \m/

Getting them properly located for best performance and sound aligned is a big challenge, especially when the subs aren't identical. Are you using REW? One of the nice things about my Anthem processor is that its EQ software has a real-time frequency graph. So while the subs are putting out test sounds, the frequency chart on my computer with the Anthem software is updating in real time as I move the subs around the room. Even making adjustments of a few inches makes a difference. I was surprised to see how much improvement I got in frequency response simply by turning one of my subs to face the wall. It fixed a 60Hz null I had simply by doing that.
    Old 06-30-2017, 01:54 PM   #15389
    dobyblue

My Tour Central Stats

These days I usually have all my speakers crossed over at 50Hz and will likely have the second sub additionally crossed over at 40Hz using the X30's on board crossover, specifically to avoid where trouble spots often occur (70-120Hz). I really like my subs taking care of the very deep bass. My AVR supports two individual subs using Audyssey XT32 so I'll use my mic boom stand to see how it dials it in first. If I have the patience I'll run some measurements myself using test tones and SPL meter to see how much difference I have every 10Hz or so, running one at a time then both from 10-60Hz.

I only have about three possible locations for the subs, but I, and all the other like-minded folk who've come over for listening tests, have always been impressed with how little room problems there seems to be in this room. Tearing all the walls down and insulating everywhere including the ceiling made a massive difference over my previous apartment. If need be I'll also pick up a few Auralex traps for the corners...but I'm pretty confident it's going to integrate with minimal stress.
    Old 07-05-2017, 09:35 AM   #15390
    Vorony

Shows Seen: 58

My Tour Central Stats

I'm hoping the experts in this thread can help me out here - I have a Pro-Ject Debut III table that I purchased a couple years ago. Everything has been great out of the box, and I've had no issues up until recently. The needle broke off the cartridge as I was playing a record a few weeks ago. My question is this - how do I replace the needle on this table? And is there a certain kind that I should purchase? I'm not looking to spend hundreds of dollars replacing this, but definitely looking for something that's quality and cost effective.

Thanks.
    Vorony is offline   Reply With Quote