The Travellers Thread - Page 60 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 05-25-2017, 02:04 AM   #1771
spoot388

Shows Seen: 94

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The Travellers Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.MikeD View Post
So I'm half toying with idea of taking a month or two off work to start 2018. Thinking of staying in one place, renting a condo or house. I'm not poverty stricken but not looking for expensive luxury either. Thoughts? Maybe Costa Rica.
Extra important piece of info, there would be a 2.5 year old kid involved so trekking the Himalaya or something isn't quite what I'm looking for.
my aunt's sister would go to the dominican for like 4 months every winter and loved it. super cheap too, so they lived like royalty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheMorning View Post
How do you guys pronounce Qatar? I used to always say Kuh-TAR until someone corrected me and said it was like Cutter. Now I'm not sure.
i say kuh-tar but apparently theres like 4 ways to pronounce it and none are necessarily wrong

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-25-2017, 02:35 AM   #1772
    SmoothG

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    So I'm half toying with idea of taking a month or two off work to start 2018. Thinking of staying in one place, renting a condo or house. I'm not poverty stricken but not looking for expensive luxury either. Thoughts? Maybe Costa Rica.
    Extra important piece of info, there would be a 2.5 year old kid involved so trekking the Himalaya or something isn't quite what I'm looking for.
    Sounds awesome man. My only piece of advice if you want to go somewhere in Central America or the carribean might be to pass on Costa Rica if you want to stretch your money. Lived there for six months last year. I mean, it is absolutely gorgeous and I'm sure renting a place would be awesome...but Costa Rica is hella expensive. I would look at Nicaragua or panama or somewhere similar where you'll get pretty much the same things, but way cheaper.

Just my thoughts.
    SmoothG is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-25-2017, 03:06 AM   #1773
    laura22

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cry_minarets458 View Post
    I'm literally in the area for only a few hours (driving by on the way to the airport). Really busting my bump to even just step foot in it. I'll be there in August. I'm trying to catch the sunrise at Lake Butte Overlook, mostly Bc from what I can see, I can do it all via a car.
    yellowstone is enormous so you won't have time to drive out of the lake butte/mammoth area. the traffic in august is at peak worst, especially if there is a big old bison boy in the middle of the road that causes 1-2 hours of traffic

BUT you can still try and catch the sunrise and drive mammoth hot springs which is badass. it's right by the north entrance which is what i assume you'll be using if youre accessing the bozeman airport. i wouldn't bother driving further into the park. the next closest attraction is grand canyon yellowstone which would be 1hr 15min without traffic
    laura22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-25-2017, 03:18 AM   #1774
    FromTheMorning

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Leaving on Tuesday for Denmark. Got 6 days there, 1 day in Iceland, then back home to Chicago for a month. Super excited to see family, friends, and summertime Chicago.
    FromTheMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-25-2017, 04:01 AM   #1775
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

The Travellers Thread

Quote:
    Originally Posted by laura22 View Post
    yellowstone is enormous so you won't have time to drive out of the lake butte/mammoth area. the traffic in august is at peak worst, especially if there is a big old bison boy in the middle of the road that causes 1-2 hours of traffic

BUT you can still try and catch the sunrise and drive mammoth hot springs which is badass. it's right by the north entrance which is what i assume you'll be using if youre accessing the bozeman airport. i wouldn't bother driving further into the park. the next closest attraction is grand canyon yellowstone which would be 1hr 15min without traffic

We're traveling from missoula, flying out of billings surprisingly. I believe I was going to use the west entrance, but I wasn't sure what could be done during the dark. We'd be leaving missoula around 11pm and it's like a 4 ish hour drive, I think. My flight isn't until 4:40pm, so I have some flexibility with getting to the airport from sunrise (estimated at 6:29am), but there is always the variability with what is encountered within the park.

Will look into what you suggested. Thanks for that
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prime Minister
    In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.
    cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-25-2017, 04:32 AM   #1776
    AllifromOhio
    Formerly known as

Shows Seen: 97

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

So I have been racking up credit card points. I'm not bad at collecting them, I'm bad at figuring out the best value to redeem them. I really want to go somewhere in Europe as I've never been. What are the suggest for a week trip? Probably in December.
    AllifromOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-25-2017, 04:36 AM   #1777
    FromTheMorning

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AllifromOhio View Post
    So I have been racking up credit card points. I'm not bad at collecting them, I'm bad at figuring out the best value to redeem them. I really want to go somewhere in Europe as I've never been. What are the suggest for a week trip? Probably in December.
    What are you looking to do? What are your interests? Going with people or alone?
    Old 05-25-2017, 11:29 AM   #1778
    DIDriveOut2SPAC
    American Aquarium Drnkr

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    How do you guys pronounce Qatar? I used to always say Kuh-TAR until someone corrected me and said it was like Cutter. Now I'm not sure.
    KAH-ter is how I think its pronounced.
    Old 05-25-2017, 12:41 PM   #1779
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

Shows Seen: 240

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Headed to Amsterdam tomorrow. Should be fun!
    Old 05-25-2017, 01:04 PM   #1780
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    go to Peru before the Inca Trail closes in 2018
    unccrombie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-25-2017, 01:23 PM   #1781
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I fucking love Costa Rica, but I've only done the Pacific side. Each time was amazing though.
    Old 05-25-2017, 08:12 PM   #1782
    AllifromOhio
    Formerly known as

Shows Seen: 97

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    What are you looking to do? What are your interests? Going with people or alone?
    See as much as possible. I'd be going with my boyfriend.
    My family is Hungarian so I absolutely want to get over there sooner than later.

Also, are all-inclusive hotels worth it in Cancun? Or any all-inclusive worth it? I'm looking down south to fly somewhere Southwest goes since I have the Companion Pass and close to 200k points to use with them.
    AllifromOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-25-2017, 09:12 PM   #1783
    FromTheMorning

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    See as much as possible. I'd be going with my boyfriend.
    My family is Hungarian so I absolutely want to get over there sooner than later.

Also, are all-inclusive hotels worth it in Cancun? Or any all-inclusive worth it? I'm looking down south to fly somewhere Southwest goes since I have the Companion Pass and close to 200k points to use with them.
    Yeah Hungary is cool. Just keep in mind that almost every country in Europe will be relatively cold in December. So if you're looking to get away from the winter in the midwest for a week, I'd probably look elswhere. If weather is no issue, Germany and Austria are cool in December. Would recommend Berlin in Germany. You could also kill two birds with one stone and do Munich/Salzburg for a few nights each given how close they are to each other.

Only been to Cancun once and it was when I was younger so can't really speak for that specifically. But did do an all-inclusive last December in Puerto Vallarta and it was great.
    Old 05-26-2017, 01:54 AM   #1784
    Peregrine
    TIA.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SmoothG View Post

Peregrine - don't think we've interacted much but I'm pretty sure you manage/work for one of the most beautiful hotels and locations in Africa. Still at the same place?
    Yep, still here in the Mara, and it is truly a magical place.

Yesterday, we had guests watch two cheetah chase and take down an impala, only to have a leopard burst from the bushes and try to steal the kill . . . in the chaos, the impala up and ran away! Also in the same day, two male lions killed a hippo, and another pair of lions were mating. Another guest saw 3 prides and more than 20 lions yesterday.

Seeing that I missed all this action while at work all day, I took a Tusker to the quiet side of camp at sundown for a little peace and quiet away from guests, and 1000ft below me could see a pride of lions with seven cubs playing on some termite mounds, not to mention the ubiquitous elephant, buffalo, giraffe, and other plains game. In a few weeks we'll have nearly 2 million wildebeest start crossing the Mara River, trying to avoid 20-foot crocs.

There's nothing like Africa.
    Old 05-26-2017, 05:38 AM   #1785
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
    Yep, still here in the Mara, and it is truly a magical place.

Yesterday, we had guests watch two cheetah chase and take down an impala, only to have a leopard burst from the bushes and try to steal the kill . . . in the chaos, the impala up and ran away! Also in the same day, two male lions killed a hippo, and another pair of lions were mating. Another guest saw 3 prides and more than 20 lions yesterday.

Seeing that I missed all this action while at work all day, I took a Tusker to the quiet side of camp at sundown for a little peace and quiet away from guests, and 1000ft below me could see a pride of lions with seven cubs playing on some termite mounds, not to mention the ubiquitous elephant, buffalo, giraffe, and other plains game. In a few weeks we'll have nearly 2 million wildebeest start crossing the Mara River, trying to avoid 20-foot crocs.

There's nothing like Africa.
    Couldn't dream it up any better
    Old 06-07-2017, 09:34 AM   #1786
    TrampledUnderw.

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone have any experience with one way rentals? I'm taking a 6 day trip (also under 25 yo) and the best price I can find is 800$.
    TrampledUnderw. is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2017, 09:36 AM   #1787
    YouNeverKnow25

Shows Seen: 110

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TrampledUnderw. View Post
    Anyone have any experience with one way rentals? I'm taking a 6 day trip (also under 25 yo) and the best price I can find is 800$.
    hijack an uber bud, grow up
    YouNeverKnow25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-07-2017, 11:52 AM   #1788
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    car or moving truck? boned if the former anyways. I'd try and see if there any deals for week long rentals and just eat the extra day.
    Old 06-07-2017, 12:05 PM   #1789
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Any reason why you're needing to rent a car? Why not fly? Where are you going to/from?

You can check different pickup/dropoff points in the area. For example, instead of dropping off at Chicago O'Hare, check to see if there's a local place in the area. Rates differ.
    Old 06-07-2017, 12:35 PM   #1790
    TrampledUnderw.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lockman21 View Post
    Any reason why you're needing to rent a car? Why not fly? Where are you going to/from?

You can check different pickup/dropoff points in the area. For example, instead of dropping off at Chicago O'Hare, check to see if there's a local place in the area. Rates differ.
    Going on a trip from the grand canyon through zion to arches, and then finally to rocky mtn national park before leaving from denver. Found a 675$ rental from Avis which has been the best so far. Going to keep shopping around and I'll try different drop off locations as well
    TrampledUnderw. is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-12-2017, 12:21 PM   #1791
    Jordan#41

Shows Seen: 37

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Does anyone know of a good source to go to for international homestay programs? I'm looking to go to Italy (for a period of 2 months) and take language/cooking classes. Preferably in Bologna, Rome or the Almalfi area.

Thanks..
    Jordan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-13-2017, 04:33 PM   #1792
    FromTheMorning

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jordan#41 View Post
    Does anyone know of a good source to go to for international homestay programs? I'm looking to go to Italy (for a period of 2 months) and take language/cooking classes. Preferably in Bologna, Rome or the Almalfi area.

Thanks..
    Are you looking to do some work as well? These are pretty reputable. If you're not trying to work and just taking an extended vacation, you could couchsurf.

https://www.workaway.info/hostlist-IT.html
    https://www.wwoof.it/en/
    Old 06-13-2017, 05:05 PM   #1793
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

Shows Seen: 54

My Tour Central Stats

Headed down to Pittsburgh tomorrow. (Yes, lockman, standby again but everything is wide open).

I'm more excited for the return trip on Thursday when I get to sit copilot coming out of Boston and get to plug my headset in and talk with the pilot and monitor ATC!!
    Old 06-13-2017, 05:06 PM   #1794
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by diableri View Post
    You gotta be kidding me!

I'm going to play around with it a bit more but thank you for the heads up. That is probably just what I was after, a shower and bed near a station.

I need to bite the bullet and just trudge through the time on google maps. Thanks!

Where'd you end up staying? How'd it work out for you?
    Old 06-13-2017, 05:23 PM   #1795
    lockman21
    Yandle Award 2014-15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by daveshookme View Post
    Headed down to Pittsburgh tomorrow. (Yes, lockman, standby again but everything is wide open).

I'm more excited for the return trip on Thursday when I get to sit copilot coming out of Boston and get to plug my headset in and talk with the pilot and monitor ATC!!
    Nice! That's what I did to Amsterdam. Ended up in Global First on a United 777-200 IAH > AMS, then spent some time in London on my way back and had Flagship First on an AA 777-300 coming back LHR > DFW.

Awesome when standby works well
    Old 06-13-2017, 05:26 PM   #1796
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lockman21 View Post
    Nice! That's what I did to Amsterdam. Ended up in Global First on a United 777-200 IAH > AMS, then spent some time in London on my way back and had Flagship First on an AA 777-300 coming back LHR > DFW.

Awesome when standby works well

Back when I was working on my private license I may or may not have been allowed to make some announcements over frequency at an untowered airport from our 9k planes. I love sitting copilot
    Old 06-13-2017, 07:54 PM   #1797
    DIDriveOut2SPAC
    American Aquarium Drnkr

Shows Seen: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Had a similar lucky standby victory last week when bumped out of a last minute coach ticket on united from BOM to EWR. Ended up sitting business on Jet Airways to set up a return flight to JFK in FIRST on Singapore Airlines' A380

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Old 06-13-2017, 07:57 PM   #1798
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DIDriveOut2SPAC View Post
    Had a similar lucky standby victory last week when bumped out of a last minute coach ticket on united from BOM to EWR. Ended up sitting business on Jet Airways to set up a return flight to JFK in FIRST on Singapore Airlines' A380

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    we're basically enemies now.
    Old 06-13-2017, 08:50 PM   #1799
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

My Tour Central Stats

I've never been comped to first for an international route. Then again I'm always flying KLM or Cathay
    Old 06-14-2017, 05:23 AM   #1800
    SmoothG

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jordan#41 View Post

Thanks..
    Quote:
    Are you looking to do some work as well? These are pretty reputable. If you're not trying to work and just taking an extended vacation, you could couchsurf.

https://www.workaway.info/hostlist-IT.html
    https://www.wwoof.it/en/
    I've done woofing and had good experiences. But when entering whatever country don't tell immigration that you're doing that. Although you don't receive money, you usually receive meals and accommodation which is counted as compensation and you can't work while on a tourist visa and they could turn you back. Unlikely but possible.

I have July off. Going to Vancouver for a few weeks. Glacier national park for a few days and then Chicago for a few weeks. And hoping to get a weekend in Brighton in august.

Also, well jealous of first class on Singapore.
    SmoothG is offline   Reply With Quote