Do you smoke weed? - Page 10 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
View Poll Results: Do you smoke weed?
Yes 147 49.00%
No 153 51.00%
Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-14-2017, 09:22 PM   #271
FromTheMorning

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Do you smoke weed?

Every night as of late. Running low though at the moment and spending more money than I have so I'll probably cool it for a bit soon.
FromTheMorning is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-14-2017, 09:22 PM   #272
    jcc522
    Take Warning

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by daveshookme View Post
    I can't smoke Wish I could if I wanted to.
    this x1000

I could do without all the calories from alcohol.
    Old 03-15-2017, 08:57 AM   #273
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcc522 View Post
    this x1000

I could do without all the calories from alcohol.

Seriously. Fuck I wish I could. Don't even need it to be legal, just wish I wasn't tested.
    Old 06-27-2017, 07:29 PM   #274
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

So we just returned from our Honeymoon in Jamaica. Had an unbelievably terrifying experience, and I am wondering if anyone here has ever been around a pass-out episode like the following. I never knew that anything like this was even possible from MJ:

Neither of us are big smokers, I do it maybe 1-2 times per year and have done it maybe 30 times total. My wife has smoked maybe 4 or 5 times in her life, 2 times with me including once about 4 months ago. She has always been fine. I know enough about what I'm trying to tell how good or not or off the MJ is. We had been hanging with some other honeymooning couples, and decided eh, when in Rome, and so we partook from a couple that had bought a ton and realized they would never smoke it all. They had been smoking it for a few days, which is one thing that helped me not panic as much in hindsight. It went around once, wife had barely a puff, second time also barely a puff. Third time she got a good hit in, complete with some coughing. She said she was done at that point, I had 3 stronger hits, and had a slight high buzz, but nothing too crazy.

First, about 3 mins after the last puff, she said she wasn't feeling well and went to go sit with the girls. 30 seconds later she mumbled to one of the girls that she might need to throw up, girl stood up to help, and within 5 seconds, complete collapse.

It was the scariest 5 minutes of my life. It was not a seizure. Her body locked up like rigor mortis, her arms were deadlocked and could not be moved, her jaw was stuck open, and her eyes stayed open and rolled into the back of her head. She was completely unresponsive for around a minute, and I am just glad for the others there, one guy immediately recognized that it was a lack of oxygen to the brain response, and the other girl was about to do CPR before we could confirm she was at least breathing and had a pulse. It took numerous "stages" of her coming back and then passing out again. I'll never forget the episode, she was like a corpse, it was like a nightmare and I couldn't wake up. Eventually we were able to shake her and snap her back awake. We then spent two hours slowly giving her water and letting her walk, eventually she was throwing up for a considerable amount of time.

The scariest part is that there is basically no medical assistance to be spoke of down there. 3 calls to the supposed 24 hour nurse station, being put on hold, they didn't call back for 2.5 hours when she was already ok again. Nearest hospital was 45 mins away and I hear a rundown facility. Basically, if you had a serious situation, heart attack or whatever, there is no 911. You basically just get to die. Serious feeling of helplessness.

She is never going to smoke again, and we are going to take her to the doctor to get her fully checked out. I am just glad to finally be back in the States tonight. Based on my reading, I believe it was a Vasovagal Syncope. In hindsight, if I ever encounter something like this again I will know to elevate the person's legs, and I would have advised to stay laying down. By instinct she kept trying to sit up and I think that pro-longed the crazy zombie in and out of consciousness.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasovagal_syncope

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert

Last edited by Tiduwho; 06-27-2017 at 07:32 PM.
    Tiduwho is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-27-2017, 07:40 PM   #275
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Jesus Christ, Tid, that's fucking horrifying. Glad she's okay, man. Wow.
    Old 06-27-2017, 07:45 PM   #276
    tyler3440

Shows Seen: 17

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Tid This may need to go in the MJ thread because that thread gets more traffic
    Old 06-27-2017, 07:48 PM   #277
    tyler3440

My Tour Central Stats

That's a pretty scary story man. Damn
    Old 06-27-2017, 07:51 PM   #278
    dobyblue

Shows Seen: 63

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Used to see that happen occasionally in Cayman (Jamaica's neighbor) with US tourists who thought they could handle strong weed, smoke a spliff with them, lightheaded and sometimes fall over like they're drunk. Sometimes it just hits some people harder when it's weed they're not used to, not sure there's really any other explanation.

Anyway, I don't smoke...low temp vape only, love my PAX3.
    Old 06-27-2017, 08:00 PM   #279
    FromTheMorning

My Tour Central Stats

Happened to a girl I was with in Amsterdam a few years ago. There was a group of us at one of those famous coffee shops they have there and we were just passing joints around for a couple hours straight. She wasn't a huge smoker from what I recall, probably similar to your wife. Anyway, we left the coffee shop to go grab some gelato and she just passed out standing there in line. She was out for a good 4 or 5 minutes. I haven't stayed in touch with her so not sure whatever came of it, but I know for the next couple days she was feeling normal. Hope your wife's alright man, I was scared shitless myself and I barely knew this girl.
    Old 06-27-2017, 08:00 PM   #280
    tyler3440

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
    Used to see that happen occasionally in Cayman (Jamaica's neighbor) with US tourists who thought they could handle strong weed, smoke a spliff with them, lightheaded and sometimes fall over like they're drunk. Sometimes it just hits some people harder when it's weed they're not used to, not sure there's really any other explanation.

Anyway, I don't smoke...low temp vape only, love my PAX3.
    I wouldn't smoke weed in another country. I would want want the potential to get arrested for smoking weed in another country and be in a jail system of another country. Seems like a big risk to take depending on the country

Not necessarily talking about Jamaica

Last edited by tyler3440; 06-27-2017 at 08:05 PM.
    tyler3440 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-27-2017, 08:03 PM   #281
    FromTheMorning

My Tour Central Stats

Not sure about Cayman, but I picture Jamaica just being marijuana heaven lol. I remember smoking in Cambodia/Thailand and being kind of nervous at first because you hear some stories about people getting arrested, but it seemed pretty common actually for people to smoke.
    Old 06-27-2017, 08:11 PM   #282
    tyler3440

My Tour Central Stats

I know in Singapore they will execute your ass if you get cought with pot. Of corse that's a very extream example.
    Old 06-27-2017, 08:20 PM   #283
    rconverse

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Still yes.
    rconverse is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-27-2017, 08:20 PM   #284
    mHeiser92

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

I actually went through something very similar, if not the same thing myself years back. This was probably 5 or 6 years ago when I was smoking quite frequently. Almost everyday. I was sitting at my cousins house with a few friends and we had been smoking. I was sitting on the couch for half hour or so while we smoked and felt fine. About 10 minutes after finishing I started getting really dizzy and hot. I was sweating heavily, vision was getting blurry and my hearing started getting muffled.

I knew something wasn't right and started to feel like I was going to throw up. Just figured it was something from the smoke or something not setting right in my stomach. I stood up from the couch and started to stumble my way down the hall to the bathroom. Got to the doorway of the bathroom and just dropped. Caught my chin on the doorknob on my way down and hit the floor. It is strange to think back on now because I realize I was conscious the whole time but couldn't move or do anything. I was blackout mode but could hear everything going on around me and could feel my cousin and friend try to help me up. Obviously out of it though, as it took the next 20-30 minutes for me to realize what actually happened and why everyone was sitting by me and handing me water. Scary shit

I barely ever smoke anymore except for certain occasions. Not because of this episode, as I smoked plenty of times after without any problems but because of jobs etc. It was scary stuff though. Plus, I had a nice gouge on my chin for a few weeks. Interesting page you posted from Wiki. The symptoms were all spot on.
    Old 06-27-2017, 08:37 PM   #285
    Drwbllz
    City Line

Shows Seen: 44

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tiduwho View Post
    So we just returned from our Honeymoon in Jamaica. Had an unbelievably terrifying experience, and I am wondering if anyone here has ever been around a pass-out episode like the following. I never knew that anything like this was even possible from MJ:

Neither of us are big smokers, I do it maybe 1-2 times per year and have done it maybe 30 times total. My wife has smoked maybe 4 or 5 times in her life, 2 times with me including once about 4 months ago. She has always been fine. I know enough about what I'm trying to tell how good or not or off the MJ is. We had been hanging with some other honeymooning couples, and decided eh, when in Rome, and so we partook from a couple that had bought a ton and realized they would never smoke it all. They had been smoking it for a few days, which is one thing that helped me not panic as much in hindsight. It went around once, wife had barely a puff, second time also barely a puff. Third time she got a good hit in, complete with some coughing. She said she was done at that point, I had 3 stronger hits, and had a slight high buzz, but nothing too crazy.

First, about 3 mins after the last puff, she said she wasn't feeling well and went to go sit with the girls. 30 seconds later she mumbled to one of the girls that she might need to throw up, girl stood up to help, and within 5 seconds, complete collapse.

It was the scariest 5 minutes of my life. It was not a seizure. Her body locked up like rigor mortis, her arms were deadlocked and could not be moved, her jaw was stuck open, and her eyes stayed open and rolled into the back of her head. She was completely unresponsive for around a minute, and I am just glad for the others there, one guy immediately recognized that it was a lack of oxygen to the brain response, and the other girl was about to do CPR before we could confirm she was at least breathing and had a pulse. It took numerous "stages" of her coming back and then passing out again. I'll never forget the episode, she was like a corpse, it was like a nightmare and I couldn't wake up. Eventually we were able to shake her and snap her back awake. We then spent two hours slowly giving her water and letting her walk, eventually she was throwing up for a considerable amount of time.

The scariest part is that there is basically no medical assistance to be spoke of down there. 3 calls to the supposed 24 hour nurse station, being put on hold, they didn't call back for 2.5 hours when she was already ok again. Nearest hospital was 45 mins away and I hear a rundown facility. Basically, if you had a serious situation, heart attack or whatever, there is no 911. You basically just get to die. Serious feeling of helplessness.

She is never going to smoke again, and we are going to take her to the doctor to get her fully checked out. I am just glad to finally be back in the States tonight. Based on my reading, I believe it was a Vasovagal Syncope. In hindsight, if I ever encounter something like this again I will know to elevate the person's legs, and I would have advised to stay laying down. By instinct she kept trying to sit up and I think that pro-longed the crazy zombie in and out of consciousness.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasovagal_syncope
    I'm not trying to undermine this, but you are likely correct in your assertion. I hope it was not an underlying medical issue, but she probably just had low blood sugar and high blood pressure and standing up caused her to faint. This has happened to me before, with the same symptoms as her, even when I was stone-cold sober. If she just sat there or laid down and had something sweet and a little water she probably would have been fine (assuming there isn't something more serious going on). Anyway, I hope she's fine and that's all it was.

Almost all of Jamaica's cannabis is grown outdoors naturally without added fertilizers/pesticides. As such, you're almost guaranteed to get something clean, but not necessarily potent. Unless you're smoking dirt cannabis in the U.S., these days you are almost assuredly smoking something with a much higher content of THC than anything you will find in Jamaica. My guide for my tour to Nine Mile even told our group as much. He said the cannabis there is somewhere around 12% THC (For reference, our average is around 17%, but some strains can get as high as 28%). I bought cannabis in several different forms from 4-5 different sources while I was there and found my experience matched up with what I was told.

To answer the poll, I don't smoke "weed". I consume cannabis, usually in edibles or a vape. "Weed" has negative connotations:
    Quote:
    A weed is a plant considered undesirable in a particular situation, "a plant in the wrong place".
    Old 06-27-2017, 08:43 PM   #286
    scrock25

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Ugh
    scrock25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-27-2017, 08:48 PM   #287
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Scary situation but I've seen something similar happen.

My fiancée passed out from taking a big hit of a joint when she was an extremely light smoker. She only had about 3 drinks over a span of 2 hours before hand. She said she felt light headed and just passed out after a few steps. Body went limp. She came to and we got her some water and cooled her down. She was a little off the rest of the night but was totally fine after waking up the next morning.

It can happen to smaller people who don't smoke. Some stuff is just so potent now you really have to be careful with those without a tolerance.

She smokes now but only takes a couple hits and she's good. She prefers me to blow the smoke in her mouth as opposed to hitting it directly.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.

Last edited by TheLastPig; 06-27-2017 at 08:51 PM.
    TheLastPig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-27-2017, 08:55 PM   #288
    Useliteski
    shit blizzard

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

as a bud tender, i usually call it cannabis, because thats the proper term. for the most part, my customers couldn't care what the hell i call it, but i think it's worth giving it a positive connotation regardless. we've come a long way in making it normal, so why go back?

to that story: holy fuck dude, i'm glad your wife is okay. Whenever i see people pass out it's usually not like you described (and normally after a dab ). sounds like an adverse reaction to something she consumed. were you smoking the same weed? eating the same food? drinking the same water? def questions i would ask considering you seemed unscathed from the entire thing.
    Useliteski is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-27-2017, 08:56 PM   #289
    mHeiser92

Shows Seen: 27

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

I attributed part of my episode to the fact that I've gone through bouts of low blood sugar my whole life. I've had times where I would feel dizzy or light headed with absolutely no smoke or alcohol involved. Something quick to eat and water always helped after 10 minutes or so. Thought I've read or heard somewhere smoking marijuana can lower blood sugar for a time afterwords
    Old 06-27-2017, 08:56 PM   #290
    tyler3440

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Useliteski View Post
    as a bud tender, i usually call it cannabis, because thats the proper term. for the most part, my customers couldn't care what the hell i call it, but i think it's worth giving it a positive connotation regardless. we've come a long way in making it normal, so why go back?

to that story: holy fuck dude, i'm glad your wife is okay. Whenever i see people pass out it's usually not like you described (and normally after a dab ). sounds like an adverse reaction to something she consumed. were you smoking the same weed? eating the same food? drinking the same water? def questions i would ask considering you seemed unscathed from the entire thing.
    Bud tender please fill my bowl for me
    Old 06-27-2017, 09:00 PM   #291
    Drwbllz
    City Line

Shows Seen: 44

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Useliteski View Post

Old 06-27-2017, 09:02 PM   #292
    Useliteski
    shit blizzard

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tyler3440 View Post
    Bud tender please fill my bowl for me

has Dave made the edit "fill my bowl for me" while performing Bartender? i feel like i've heard it, but i can't confirm it.
    Useliteski is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2017, 04:00 AM   #293
    scrock25

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

A bud tender. Oye vey.
    scrock25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2017, 05:00 AM   #294
    SmoothG

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I wouldn't smoke weed in another country. I would want want the potential to get arrested for smoking weed in another country and be in a jail system of another country. Seems like a big risk to take depending on the country

Not necessarily talking about Jamaica
    I've smoked weed in probably 20 countries and never had s problem. Like anywhere you go, know the local laws and don't be an idiot.

Quote:
    I know in Singapore they will execute your ass if you get cought with pot. Of corse that's a very extream example.
    This isn't completely true. For weed, you have to be in possession of over a certain amount. Now, if you trafficking it's automatic death I believe. But not for possession.
    SmoothG is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2017, 05:11 AM   #295
    SmoothG

My Tour Central Stats

I smoke everyday after work. So cheap here 3€/gram. My only problem is the munchies. I love sweets.
    Old 06-28-2017, 05:15 AM   #296
    tyler3440

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SmoothG View Post
    I've smoked weed in probably 20 countries and never had s problem. Like anywhere you go, know the local laws and don't be an idiot.

This isn't completely true. For weed, you have to be in possession of over a certain amount. Now, if you trafficking it's automatic death I believe. But not for possession.
    From the little thing I read on the internet it made it seem like the police there make the assumption that you are intending to sell it. I mean I have no idea if true or not I just did a quick search

But whatever I'm not going to that country any time soon anyway
    Old 06-28-2017, 05:23 AM   #297
    SmoothG

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    From the little thing I read on the internet it made it seem like the police there make the assumption that you are intending to sell it. I mean I have no idea if true or not I just did a quick search

But whatever I'm not going to that country any time soon anyway
    I'm sure they might try to do that, but for weed a death sentence only comes with a certain weight or trafficking charges. I didn't smoke weed at all in 6 months there, just too risky.

Some Asian countries can have stiff penalties but I feel more comfortable smoking in most countries over America. Lots of countries have far more relaxed policies than America.
    Old 06-28-2017, 05:59 AM   #298
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

It varies wildly in America though. In Austin, I'm comfortable smoking while walking down the street downtown. If a cop were to decide to give fucks, it's just a ticket.

20 miles up the road in the next county, you will go to jail if they find a single seed in your car during a traffic stop.
    Old 06-28-2017, 05:59 AM   #299
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

My Tour Central Stats

To clarify:

She was not standing up, she was sitting for the duration. The other girl stood up to help her to the bathroom and that's when she fully slumped over and locked up. It wasn't a "got up too fast and feeling faint" type deal, it wasn't like a sleepy pass-out where you could lift her arm and it would drop. It was an initial choke look followed by not even an attempt to breathe, jaw locked open, eyes open but rolling back into her head, arms unmovable like rigor mortis. I had never seen this even depicted in media outside of death scenes before so I had no idea what was happening, in the moment I was worried it triggered a brain aneurysm and that she was already gone as this was how my grandmother died at a young age just suddenly. And knowing that no help was coming in this country. A moment of panic to be sure, and smoking did not help my frame of mind at all, I just could not process what was happening. If we had been alone and bought something on our own, it would have been so much worse, so thankful to the couples we were with.

That said, we believe that her smaller size and that low blood sugar and / or dehydration all could have made her more susceptible to this episode. Drinking combined with low blood sugar and humid environments apparently can contribute, and that smoking can cause the sudden extreme drop in blood pressure which stops the flow of oxygen to the brain, which leads to what happened. She is going to play it safe from now on and just give it up permanently, she never liked it to begin with. The other thought in my head was "how could I ever explain this to her family". How did she die? Oh, I helped peer pressure her into smoking some weed in Jamaica. There's no way I could face her parents or anyone and no way I wouldn't blame myself.

Again, everything is fine. In 5 years she's never had anything health related or anything ever happen, so to see your significant other like that causes panic. It was a total wakeup call about what it is like in a foreign country like that without medical care. There's nothing you can do. And internet only worked maybe 10%-20% of the time and was slow. There's no quick fix medical advice like I ended up reading up on for two hours later.

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert

Last edited by Tiduwho; 06-28-2017 at 06:00 AM.
    Tiduwho is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-28-2017, 06:12 AM   #300
    SmoothG

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    It varies wildly in America though. In Austin, I'm comfortable smoking while walking down the street downtown. If a cop were to decide to give fucks, it's just a ticket.

20 miles up the road in the next county, you will go to jail if they find a single seed in your car during a traffic stop.
    Very true. Which is annoying. I guess it depends on the location, cop and situation. Just makes me nervous mostly because I find American cops to be more agressive or threatening.