Weightlifting - Page 5 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 10-04-2010, 01:36 PM   #121
achtungbaby

Shows Seen: 19

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Weightlifting

For those of you interested or already taking preworkout powders that are non-stimulant I will be starting BodyForge by Neogenix next week after I finish Austified (tastes like hell but works well). For whatever reason, Bodyforge has been discontinued by bodybuilding.com but here's a link for some product info:

http://www.a1supplements.com/BodyFor...s-p-17678.html
achtungbaby is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 10-04-2010, 01:47 PM   #122
    Crush086
    Eyes Wide Open

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by achtungbaby View Post
    For those of you interested or already taking preworkout powders that are non-stimulant I will be starting BodyForge by Neogenix next week after I finish Austified (tastes like hell but works well). For whatever reason, Bodyforge has been discontinued by bodybuilding.com but here's a link for some product info:

http://www.a1supplements.com/BodyFor...s-p-17678.html
    sbmuscle has it almost 25% cheaper. Never ordered from them, but they look competitive to bb.com.

http://www.sbmuscle.com/neogenix-bodyforge-36-serv.aspx

I've never ordered from that site though (but probably will this weekend) so I don't know how the service is.

I hear that bb.com is pretty strict on what they'll carry, so that could be why they removed it. Don't quote me though because I don't even know what's in Bodyforge that could be misconstrued as conspicuous.
    Old 10-04-2010, 01:50 PM   #123
    achtungbaby

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crush086 View Post
    sbmuscle has it almost 25% cheaper. Never ordered from them, but they look competitive to bb.com.

http://www.sbmuscle.com/neogenix-bodyforge-36-serv.aspx

I've never ordered from that site though (but probably will this weekend) so I don't know how the service is.

I hear that bb.com is pretty strict on what they'll carry, so that could be why they removed it. Don't quote me though because I don't even know what's in Bodyforge that could be misconstrued as conspicuous.
    you're absolutely right about that. There are many products they carry that they refuse to ship to Canada (likely due to Health Canada restrictions) even though many other sites will readily ship anything. Let us know how your order goes at sbmuscle....
    Old 10-04-2010, 02:04 PM   #124
    Jimi Thing 10

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah keep us updated.

White Flood struck again today. I usually reserve my throwing up for leg day but this stuff hit me hard today. I had to chill out just to catch my breath inbetween sets.
    Jimi Thing 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-05-2010, 10:07 AM   #125
    jpevear

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Anyone got a tested cutting regime/diet they recommend? From October to December I'm going to focus on getting rid of some the excess fat around the mid section, plus I want to be a bit more cut in the shoulder/tricep region.

Right now I've cut down on calories...

-Eating two scoops of protein with a banana and some milk for breakfast. (6:00am)
    -Apple (8:00AM)
    -Banana (10:00 AM)
    Lunch 12:00 (Veggie burger on multiwheat sandwich round. Toppings include 1 slice of provolone, 2 sandwich sliced pickles)
    -Pear (2:00 PM)
    -Chicken breast with vegetables (6:30/7:00 PM)

I've cut out about 700 calories in protein (from shake, peanut butter) from my normal diet.

Any help, thoughts, suggestions.

As for workout routine. How should I change it up?

Currently I work 1 muscle group per day for an hour to an hour and a half, followed by abs (4 times a week.) Going to start doing cardio this week on the treadmill. 1st week will be geared towards letting my body get used to running. Once thats done I'm going to do 1 minute sprints (9mph) followed by 1 minute jog (6mph) and repeat for 15 minutes. My goal is to make it up to 30 minutes.
    Old 10-05-2010, 10:42 AM   #126
    Crush086
    Eyes Wide Open

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpevear View Post
    Anyone got a tested cutting regime/diet they recommend? From October to December I'm going to focus on getting rid of some the excess fat around the mid section, plus I want to be a bit more cut in the shoulder/tricep region.

Right now I've cut down on calories...

-Eating two scoops of protein with a banana and some milk for breakfast. (6:00am)
    -Apple (8:00AM)
    -Banana (10:00 AM)
    Lunch 12:00 (Veggie burger on multiwheat sandwich round. Toppings include 1 slice of provolone, 2 sandwich sliced pickles)
    -Pear (2:00 PM)
    -Chicken breast with vegetables (6:30/7:00 PM)

I've cut out about 700 calories in protein (from shake, peanut butter) from my normal diet.

Any help, thoughts, suggestions.

As for workout routine. How should I change it up?

Currently I work 1 muscle group per day for an hour to an hour and a half, followed by abs (4 times a week.) Going to start doing cardio this week on the treadmill. 1st week will be geared towards letting my body get used to running. Once thats done I'm going to do 1 minute sprints (9mph) followed by 1 minute jog (6mph) and repeat for 15 minutes. My goal is to make it up to 30 minutes.
    At first glance it doesn't look like you're going to be able to get your protein for the day with that diet. Looking at the scoops of protein, the chicken breast and veggie burger I'd guess you'll hit 100g or so a day in protein. You might want to consider replacing some of the fruit with some tuna or eggs. Besides, if you workout in the morning you're likely going to be starving eating mostly fruit for breakfast. You'll want to try to aim for at least 1g of protein per lb. of lean body mass to preserve the muscle since you'll be eating on a deficit.

I lost 40lbs. this year (in about 6 months), and my diet looked something like this. First thing, however, is you want to find you maintenance level (you probably already know this, but it's good info for anyone not aware). I started here:

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Once I found my maintenance, I knocked about 500 calories off. So with a diet of about 1800 calories, this is how my day usually goes.

Morning: Post workout shake (2 scoops of ON comes out to about 200 calories and 48g protein). Other foods were tuna or chicken and egg burritos, or even just a couple of peanut butter sandwiches.

Mid Morning Snack: Almonds or peanuts. Maybe a protein bar, or some Optimum Nutrition Oats & Whey.

Lunch: Either Subway (except Tuesday; also getting it on wheat, with no liquid toppings. Only lettuce, onion, bell peppers, jalapenos and black pepper. Also get the Baked Lays instead of regular chips). Or I'd bring leftovers from the night before, which was pretty much always chicken, pork, or steak (lunch is 50g protein easily on those days).

I rarely get hungry after lunch, so I'd usually not eat until dinner, which again would be meat of some sort.

My diet was very clean, and workouts didn't change much. Also bear in mind that I didn't frequently get to 1800 calories. I hovered mostly around 1500-1600 daily, so I lost a bit more than 1lb. a week typically. It's slowed since I'm nearing the end, but I'm still seeing improvements in the mirror (definition, vascularity, waist size, etc.).
    Old 10-05-2010, 10:53 AM   #127
    jpevear

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    At first glance it doesn't look like you're going to be able to get your protein for the day with that diet. Looking at the scoops of protein, the chicken breast and veggie burger I'd guess you'll hit 100g or so a day in protein. You might want to consider replacing some of the fruit with some tuna or eggs. Besides, if you workout in the morning you're likely going to be starving eating mostly fruit for breakfast. You'll want to try to aim for at least 1g of protein per lb. of lean body mass to preserve the muscle since you'll be eating on a deficit.

I lost 40lbs. this year (in about 6 months), and my diet looked something like this. First thing, however, is you want to find you maintenance level (you probably already know this, but it's good info for anyone not aware). I started here:

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Once I found my maintenance, I knocked about 500 calories off. So with a diet of about 1800 calories, this is how my day usually goes.

Morning: Post workout shake (2 scoops of ON comes out to about 200 calories and 48g protein). Other foods were tuna or chicken and egg burritos, or even just a couple of peanut butter sandwiches.

Mid Morning Snack: Almonds or peanuts. Maybe a protein bar, or some Optimum Nutrition Oats & Whey.

Lunch: Either Subway (except Tuesday; also getting it on wheat, with no liquid toppings. Only lettuce, onion, bell peppers, jalapenos and black pepper. Also get the Baked Lays instead of regular chips). Or I'd bring leftovers from the night before, which was pretty much always chicken, pork, or steak (lunch is 50g protein easily on those days).

I rarely get hungry after lunch, so I'd usually not eat until dinner, which again would be meat of some sort.

My diet was very clean, and workouts didn't change much. Also bear in mind that I didn't frequently get to 1800 calories. I hovered mostly around 1500-1600 daily, so I lost a bit more than 1lb. a week typically. It's slowed since I'm nearing the end, but I'm still seeing improvements in the mirror (definition, vascularity, waist size, etc.).
    Thanks for the input. Some things I forgot to mention. At lunch I'm also having a side a baked beans and some Baked Ruffles (I fucking love them).
    I also an a believer in almonds... nice little snack that helps curb the appetite. I just started yesterday so I'm not into it full swing.

FYI, I'm not overweight, and got a four pack.... just need to get rid of that fat that's covering the other two abs. (I'm roughly 5'9 and weight 175)

Looks like I'll switch out one of the fruits in the morning and replace it with 2 scoops of protein. I'll only be adding and extra 50 sugar free calories buy doing so considering the average banana has 160 calories.

I haven't see nthat calculator before.. nice tool. It says I should consume 2111 calories for fat loss and 1556 for extreme fat loss. I imagine I'll be somewhere in between.
    Old 10-05-2010, 11:57 AM   #128
    Jimi Thing 10

My Tour Central Stats

If you're only looking to cut weight, you don't need to do the sprints since they aren't as much a cardio as they are an explosion exercise.
    Old 10-05-2010, 01:49 PM   #129
    achtungbaby

My Tour Central Stats

I'd replace some of the morning fruit with your almonds and/or protein shake. I think your cardio is perfect...for me, intervals have made a huge difference in fat loss compared to steady-state cardio.
    Old 10-05-2010, 02:10 PM   #130
    DMBand520

Shows Seen: 161

DMB Hub Stubs: 33

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimi Thing 10 View Post
    If you're only looking to cut weight, you don't need to do the sprints since they aren't as much a cardio as they are an explosion exercise.
    The type of cardio he's describing, high intensity interval training (HITT), has been shown to be more effective than steady state (SS) cardio for burning fat. HITT is nice because you can get in a more effective workout in less time as compared to SS cardio, but it does actually get really hard. Even someone who has no problem going for a 30 min run would probably struggle doing 15 min of HITT (sprint for 1 min, jog or walk 1 min, repeat). Also HITT has been shown to not breakdown muscle as much as SS cardio does which is good if you want to drop fat while maintaining lean body mass (LBM).

Another good thing to try for cutting fat while maintaining LBM is complexes. You can do body weight complexes, dumbbell complexes, or barbell complexes. They are essentially just several movements you'll perform with a light ammount of weight. You focus more on doing the movements quickly rather than worrying about adding weight.

Here are some examples of complexes:

http://www.wannabebig.com/training/c...-for-fat-loss/
    Old 10-05-2010, 02:43 PM   #131
    ledmattewsband

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Push ups ftw.
    ledmattewsband is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-05-2010, 02:43 PM   #132
    Jimi Thing 10

My Tour Central Stats

I stand corrected.
    Old 10-05-2010, 03:47 PM   #133
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

Location: Give me BETHEL or give me death.... death, death it is then

Shows Seen: 62

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cry_minarets458 View Post
    I just started going to the gym again last week..let's see how it goes.
    So a little under a month since I started going to the gym, and the person I've been going with said he's noticed a change in my physique. I'm happy, I guess. I noticed the change, too, but I'm just trying to not notice so I can push myself more. All my weights and reps are increasing, which I'm happy with.

I just began taking 17-HD with my new cycle of weekly routines. I had a bottle from when I stopped lifting about a year ago, so I thought I'd just kill it off before I looked into something else.
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prime Minister
    In fairness Brian Wilson's Beard > Amy Winehouse & the grammys & spoot.

Last edited by cry_minarets458; 10-05-2010 at 03:49 PM.
    cry_minarets458 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-05-2010, 03:59 PM   #134
    Jimi Thing 10

My Tour Central Stats

That's a test booster?
    Old 10-05-2010, 04:15 PM   #135
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

My Tour Central Stats

^Yeah, it is.
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Old 10-06-2010, 11:13 AM   #136
    LaunchOne
    omg w/e etc.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBand520 View Post
    The type of cardio he's describing, high intensity interval training (HITT), has been shown to be more effective than steady state (SS) cardio for burning fat. HITT is nice because you can get in a more effective workout in less time as compared to SS cardio, but it does actually get really hard. Even someone who has no problem going for a 30 min run would probably struggle doing 15 min of HITT (sprint for 1 min, jog or walk 1 min, repeat). Also HITT has been shown to not breakdown muscle as much as SS cardio does which is good if you want to drop fat while maintaining lean body mass (LBM).

Another good thing to try for cutting fat while maintaining LBM is complexes. You can do body weight complexes, dumbbell complexes, or barbell complexes. They are essentially just several movements you'll perform with a light ammount of weight. You focus more on doing the movements quickly rather than worrying about adding weight.

Here are some examples of complexes:

http://www.wannabebig.com/training/c...-for-fat-loss/
    I think I'm going to try HITT today. I've been doing SS cardio for a while now and while I'm not necessarily determined to burn more fat, this sounds interesting. I usually do about 45 minutes to an hour on the treadmill 3 days/week, in between lifting days. But I'm also bored out of my mind while doing it. HITT seems like it would keep you more involved and possibly even be more effective.
    Old 10-06-2010, 11:20 AM   #137
    Crush086
    Eyes Wide Open

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LaunchOne View Post
    I think I'm going to try HITT today. I've been doing SS cardio for a while now and while I'm not necessarily determined to burn more fat, this sounds interesting. I usually do about 45 minutes to an hour on the treadmill 3 days/week, in between lifting days. But I'm also bored out of my mind while doing it. HITT seems like it would keep you more involved and possibly even be more effective.
    They say it's more effective, but you likely won't want to go past 20 minutes doing it (if you're doing it right you won't be able to go much past 20 minutes anyways).

It's definitely time saving, but also way more vigorous. I do it when I do my cardio after work.
    Old 10-06-2010, 11:29 AM   #138
    LaunchOne
    omg w/e etc.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    They say it's more effective, but you likely won't want to go past 20 minutes doing it (if you're doing it right you won't be able to go much past 20 minutes anyways).

It's definitely time saving, but also way more vigorous. I do it when I do my cardio after work.
    Yeah I figured as much. Do you do any type of warmup before or just go right into the 1 minute intervals?
    Old 10-06-2010, 11:44 AM   #139
    Crush086
    Eyes Wide Open

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LaunchOne View Post
    Yeah I figured as much. Do you do any type of warmup before or just go right into the 1 minute intervals?
    Usually I just stretch, then use the initial interval as the warmup. Sometimes I'll walk a minute or two, then start.

It doesn't have to be a 1:1 ratio though. You could sprint for 60 seconds, then jog for 90 if you want to. That's what I did when I started. Like DMBand said, it will get really hard when you near the end, so expect it to get tougher in the end even if it seems like a breeze when you start.
    Old 10-06-2010, 12:45 PM   #140
    achtungbaby

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Usually I just stretch, then use the initial interval as the warmup. Sometimes I'll walk a minute or two, then start.

It doesn't have to be a 1:1 ratio though. You could sprint for 60 seconds, then jog for 90 if you want to. That's what I did when I started. Like DMBand said, it will get really hard when you near the end, so expect it to get tougher in the end even if it seems like a breeze when you start.
    I usually go between 45-60 seconds for the fast and a jog or fast walk for the rest (giving a 3 minute interval). It sounds a bit long but I find I can do a 30 minute session this way and not want to collapse and die afterwards.
    Old 10-06-2010, 01:52 PM   #141
    gonz085
    Tag Team Back Again

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

so i understand people are against going to the gym and doing full body workouts, but I just don't have the time now that I'm back at school like I did over the summer to go 4+ times a week. I can only get in monday, wednesday, and friday. So I find myself doing bench, incline bench, biceps, tris, and forearms. Maybe some back if Im lucky. Is this bad? I mean, I'm still making some gains, I don't use protein anymore (tho I probably will be getting back into that). I just dunno how to make sure I'm getting a good workout in if I'm only going a few times a week.
    gonz085 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-06-2010, 01:54 PM   #142
    jmudmbphan
    27 WS + 14 NATL TITLES

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

shareitfitness.com usually has some pretty solid fitness/weightlifting advice
    because they are clearly better.......? How's that for a reason? They also played IN New York, on a cold windy night. You put Elisha in a no-elements warm climate and he's fucked. No way in high holy fuck is New England going to lose the Super Bowl. It's not going to happen.
    jmudmbphan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-06-2010, 03:31 PM   #143
    Crush086
    Eyes Wide Open

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gonz085 View Post
    so i understand people are against going to the gym and doing full body workouts, but I just don't have the time now that I'm back at school like I did over the summer to go 4+ times a week. I can only get in monday, wednesday, and friday. So I find myself doing bench, incline bench, biceps, tris, and forearms. Maybe some back if Im lucky. Is this bad? I mean, I'm still making some gains, I don't use protein anymore (tho I probably will be getting back into that). I just dunno how to make sure I'm getting a good workout in if I'm only going a few times a week.
    Focus on compound movements so you can hit multiple body parts with one exercise. Squats for example will work pretty much nail all your lower body parts.

Bench
    Military/Overhead Press
    Squats
    Bent-over Rows
    Deadlift
    Chinups/Pullups

You can add others to that, but if you work a program around (most of) these it may help, and also workout those legs too!

The above was what I started with, with Leg Presses and Calf Raises added. But going 3 times a week should be more than enough. As long as your lifts are increasing with what you're doing you probably don't need to make many changes though.
    Old 10-06-2010, 04:40 PM   #144
    achtungbaby

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Focus on compound movements so you can hit multiple body parts with one exercise. Squats for example will work pretty much nail all your lower body parts.

Bench
    Military/Overhead Press
    Squats
    Bent-over Rows
    Deadlift
    Chinups/Pullups

You can add others to that, but if you work a program around (most of) these it may help, and also workout those legs too!

The above was what I started with, with Leg Presses and Calf Raises added. But going 3 times a week should be more than enough. As long as your lifts are increasing with what you're doing you probably don't need to make many changes though.
    Excellent advice for those who only have a few days each week to workout. Adding another leg exercise (leg press or weighted step-ups) and maybe another chest (pushups or incline bench) will be good if you have the time. If your time is limited don't waste it on isolation movements!
    Old 10-06-2010, 05:45 PM   #145
    gonz085
    Tag Team Back Again

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Bench
    Military/Overhead Press
    Squats
    Bent-over Rows
    Deadlift
    Chinups/Pullups

thanks man. I really appreciate it. I know I need to get back into squats big time, it's just a pain in the ass to get started. But I'll talk to my lifting buddy (way stronger dude than me) and I know he'll be down for it.
    gonz085 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 10-08-2010, 03:39 PM   #146
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

My Tour Central Stats

Hey, what can I do to build up my forearms? I've been doing forarms like every other day (but never on days preceding chest days) to try to build them up. It's been helping, but anything that you can suggest?
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Old 10-08-2010, 04:19 PM   #147
    jpevear

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Hey, what can I do to build up my forearms? I've been doing forarms like every other day (but never on days preceding chest days) to try to build them up. It's been helping, but anything that you can suggest?
    The only thing I do for my forearms is

http://www.shapefit.com/forearms-exe...ist-curls.html

I use a 20 lb dumbbell and do 4 sets of 25. Burns like a motherfucker.

My forearms get quite a good work from my bicep workouts as well...
    Old 10-08-2010, 04:42 PM   #148
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpevear View Post
    The only thing I do for my forearms is

http://www.shapefit.com/forearms-exe...ist-curls.html

I use a 20 lb dumbbell and do 4 sets of 25. Burns like a motherfucker.

My forearms get quite a good work from my bicep workouts as well...
    Hey thanks for the reply! Do you know of anything else? I do that in addition to the opposite of that exercise (palms down wrist curls). I feel like I need to build my forearms up more because it limits what I can do for incline and flat bench. I know that your forearms get a good workout on chest and biceps days, but I'm trying to do as much as I can to get them built up.
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote:
    Old 10-08-2010, 05:11 PM   #149
    jpevear

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Hey thanks for the reply! Do you know of anything else? I do that in addition to the opposite of that exercise (palms down wrist curls). I feel like I need to build my forearms up more because it limits what I can do for incline and flat bench. I know that your forearms get a good workout on chest and biceps days, but I'm trying to do as much as I can to get them built up.
    this should help... tons of forearm exercises with gif images showing the proper technique.

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/ExList/ForeArmWt.html
    Old 10-10-2010, 05:13 PM   #150
    cry_minarets458
    MM#45 Wacco for Flacco

My Tour Central Stats

Hey, thanks for that link. I'll try some of them out. In other news, I've gained 7 pounds in 5 weeks.
    *renounces DMB fandom*
    Quote: