guitar lessons - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 02-11-2010, 05:10 PM   #91
haybale97
king of men

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Re: guitar lessons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resatka View Post
I'm confused by your question. I said this earlier, but the Ionian mode and the major scale are the exact same thing. The only reason the major scale got a mode name too was because all the other notes had names from modes as well.

If you take the major scale/ionian scale pattern and you start the pattern on D, THEN you'd be playing in D major.

For example:

D Major

http://all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_...t&t=0&choice=1

D Ionian

As you can see, it is exactly the same thing. Does that answer your question?
yes. thank you

Out With Gout
haybale97 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 02-11-2010, 07:49 PM   #92
    Resatka
    You Enjoy Myself

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Awesome. I'll post my next lesson tomorrow on chords and what makes them minor, diminished and augmented. I already explained major for anybody who's starting to read now.

Resatka is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-12-2010, 02:36 PM   #93
    haybale97
    king of men

My Tour Central Stats

i guess my biggest question is how to change keys. i understand how to move shapes to change their notes, just not how to determine which key that it. if we take the e phygian scale in the key of c, and move the root a whole step to f, what key is that in? is it the f scale in the key of D?

Out With Gout
    Old 02-13-2010, 11:32 AM   #94
    Resatka
    You Enjoy Myself

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by haybale97 View Post
    i guess my biggest question is how to change keys. i understand how to move shapes to change their notes, just not how to determine which key that it. if we take the e phygian scale in the key of c, and move the root a whole step to f, what key is that in? is it the f scale in the key of D?
    Oh I see what you're saying. Here's how it works.

E Phrygian is part of C.

E to F is actually a half step. The notes E to F and B to C are half steps. If you look at the WWHWWWH pattern in C major, this confirms this.

Let's say you go from E to F#, which is in fact a whole step....

Now you're in F# Phrygian (if you start the phrygian pattern on F#).

So we know Phrygian belongs to the 3rd note in a key.... So if F# is the third note... what's the first note/root?

Well see you need to know your scales and keys, because we haven't even gotten to that yet. That part was next after I was done explaining chord progressions. You're going to need to know that, simply because if you're learning a song, you're going to want to know what notes and chords fit with the song. I was going to try to get to it within the next few days, so try to be patient. But to basically answer your question, F# is the third note in D major.

D E (F#) G A B C# D

So F# Phrygian is part of D major.

You're probably wondering how I know F# and C# are part of D major. I've only taught you one approach to learning it, and that's by using the WWHWWWH method starting on D. If you used that formula and started on D, you'd get all those notes. But there's a much easier way to memorize it called the Circle of 5ths and the Cycle of 4ths. Once I teach you that, you'll know which keys are closely related and which aren't. You'll also know which notes are SPECIFICALLY belong to which keys as well, which is extremely helpful. I think I'm going to move on to progressions in the next post, then after that I'll teach you all about the keys.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:26 PM   #95
    CGTP13

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Oh shit, I just now got what you're saying. Thanks
    CGTP13 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-13-2010, 03:05 PM   #96
    haybale97
    king of men

My Tour Central Stats

gotcha, sorry didn't mean to jump ahead i was just curious.

Out With Gout
    Old 02-13-2010, 06:22 PM   #97
    Resatka
    You Enjoy Myself

My Tour Central Stats

So I'm going to move on to scales, chords within keys, and keys themselves. This is important so you know why certain chords are in certain songs. This is also half of figuring out what key you're in, because it isn't always clear.

If you guys have any questions let me know. Right now, you should be able to tell me what a major, minor, diminished, and augmented intervals are. You should also be able to tell me what triads are, and how to construct them using the root, 3rd and 5th method. If you don't, I may have to reteach it in a more clear way.

So we have C major. For each note in the scale, you can build a triad off of it, using the root, 3rd and 5th method. Triads are chords.

Because there are 7 different notes in each scale, that means that you can have 7 different triads/chords with each major key that there is.

So let's take C major.

C D E F G A B C

Let's extend the scale:

C D E F G A B (C D E F G A B C)

So basically that's the same scale, just extended using octaves.

So for each each note, there's a chord you can build.

(C) D E F G A B C .....

Use the root, 3rd and 5th method to find the notes of the chord....

(C) D (E) F (G) A B .....

Here's your chord:

C E G

Due to the spacing of intervals, CEG is a major chord. Since the root note is C, then it's a C major chord.

If you take the first note in ANY major key, and you build a triad off of it, you will ALWAYS have a major chord.

SO.... the first triad you build off of the first note in the major scale is ALWAYS major no matter what.

So if the root note of the scale corresponds with what key you're in (for example if you start on C and play a major scale pattern, you're playing C major), this ALSO means the key revolves around the first chord, in which it's root is also the root of scale you're playing in.

This is nothing that you didn't already know. For example this means in C major, a C major chord is the main chord. So songs that are in the key of C major will always revolve around this chord. Makes sense?

Each note you pick in the scale builds a chord right? And if there are 7 notes in each scale, then there are 7 chords you can possibly make. Using the root, 3rd, 5th method, we can generate all the chords that a key can contain.

So, there is a pattern.

The first chord you make off of the first note will ALWAYS be major.

The second chord you make off of the 2nd note in the major scale will ALWAYS be minor.

The third chord you make off of the 3nd note in the major scale will ALWAYS be minor.

The fourth chord you make off of the 4th note in the major scale will ALWAYS be major.

The fifth chord you make off of the 5th note in the major scale will ALWAYS be major.

The sixth chord you make off of the 6th note in the major scale will ALWAYS be minor

The seventh and final chord you make off of the 7th note in the major scale will ALWAYS be diminished.

Before I continue are there ANY questions?

Old 02-13-2010, 06:47 PM   #98
    haybale97
    king of men

My Tour Central Stats

savvy

Out With Gout
    Old 02-14-2010, 11:39 AM   #99
    Resatka
    You Enjoy Myself

My Tour Central Stats

So the first chord is always major
    the second minor
    the third minor
    the fourth major
    the fifth major
    the sixth minor
    the seventh chord is diminish.

So instead of calling these the "fifth minor chord", we're going to designate roman numerals to each. Also we'll just call it the "one chord", the "two chord", the "three chord" etc.

Uppercase are major chords. Lower case are minor chords. Lowercase with a degree sign are diminished. Uppercase with a plus sign are augmented.

So for the major scale, it's chords look like this:

I (major)
    ii (minor)
    iii (minor)
    IV (major)
    V (major)
    vi (minor)
    vii(imagine a degree sign here for diminished).

So this pattern exists in all keys. For example D major, C# major, E major.... doesn't matter what the key is. They also have their OWN set of 7 chords. So the ii chord in all keys is ALWAYS minor, and every key has a ii chord for example... do you get it?

It's kind of like the idea of barre chords and the way I taught you scales. Let's say you learned all the chords for C major. If you shift the entire scale, plus all the chords you learned in C up a whole step, you're now in D, HOWEVER the quality of the scale and the chords did NOT change. The major chord you moved is still major, the minor chord is still minor, and the scale is still major. It's all moved up one position.

SO now that you know that ALL keys have exactly the same shape/pattern, chord series, etc, and all you have to know is where to place the shape, the question is now this....

How do I know what key I'm in?

Well simply put, you're going to have to learn to recognize your keys now....

This also means memorization. But once you know it you'll be able to do shit like this:

This song has these chords

G major
    A major
    F# minor
    B minor
    A major

If you were learning "this" song, and you knew your keys, you'd DEFINITELY know that this was in D major. Then if you wanted to solo over this, you now easily could.

I'm going to go eat some food, then do some work. As usual ask questions if you've got any. Next post I'll explain all the different keys and strategies on how to memorize them, and THEN I will show you chord progressions. After that, we'll go over modes. And then we'll basically be done with theory.

After all this theory shit is done (which will be pretty soon), we'll strictly work on the rock/blues style using concepts I've taught you. From there the sky is the limit

Last edited by Resatka; 02-14-2010 at 11:40 AM.
    Old 02-14-2010, 01:24 PM   #100
    haybale97
    king of men

My Tour Central Stats

fantastic i understand all of this. i even went ahead last week and learned the a minor scale

Out With Gout
    Old 02-14-2010, 02:04 PM   #101
    Resatka
    You Enjoy Myself

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by haybale97 View Post
    fantastic i understand all of this. i even went ahead last week and learned the a minor scale
    I've said this before, since you already know the A Aeolian scale, you ALSO know A minor because they're the exact same thing, just different ways of naming it The minor scale has it's own roman numerals actually and it's own progressions. We will do both. I just wanted to get major down first then minor. But minor is the same concept.

I still have some work to do. I've thought about it and I think I'm going to show you chord progressions next before keys. I'll show you chord progressions in both minor and major that are very common.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:26 PM   #102
    haybale97
    king of men

My Tour Central Stats

no rush you do what you gotta do man, i've got some travelin and some work i've gotta get done today too so take your time

Out With Gout
    Old 02-15-2010, 03:28 PM   #103
    Resatka
    You Enjoy Myself

My Tour Central Stats

Alright so chord progressions.

Pretty easy, basically depending on the style, all it is.... is the order of the chords in a song.

The chords you use are obviously the ones that have roman numerals

I, ii, iii, IV, V, vi, vii(degree sign)

So songs are basically created by sequencing an order of these. Let me teach you a few:

I ii V I

This is a jazz progression for example. If you took the roman numerals and plugged them into C major for example:

C major - D minor - G major - C major

There are some important concepts. One, a V chord to a I chord is very important. Basically the V chord leads into the I chord. Why is this?

Well if you play the C major scale but didn't complete it:

C D E F G A B ___

Your ear wants to hear you complete the scale if you go all the way up the last note, which is B. If I just played B, it would leave you wanting more. Basically if I just played up to the B and didn't play the C, there would be tension. The note right before root is called the leading tone. The leading tone is VERY important.

The leading tone happens to be in the V chord.

This is WHY you often or always hear a G chord before a C chord, an E major chord before an A major chord, an A chord before a D chord, a B major chord before an E major chord.... it's all about the leading tone going to the root, and the V has the leading tone and the I has the root.

Depending on what style you play in, there will be different styles of progressions.

Blues often looks like this:

I - IV - V - I or maybe I - IV - I - V - I

Different people will tell you different things. For example, if you talked to a classical composer, he'd tell you that going from V to IV is a terrible idea, while in rock it's extremely common.

Third Eye Blind's Semi Charmed Life uses such a progression:

I - V - IV - I

G major - D major - C major - G major

So basically you can make whatever progression you want. It's really about what YOU think sounds good and what others think sounds good. But looking at songs and studying their chord progressions can teach you what DEFINITELY sounds good and what doesn't. Here's a cool one for example:

vi - VI - I - V

c# minor - A major - E major - B major

Boston's "Piece of Mind"

Here's an example of a song I wrote in Ab:

I - iii - IV - V - repeat

Ab Major - c minor - Dd Major - Eb Major - Ab major

The minor scale has it's own progressions and series of chords as well, but it's very similar. We haven't done minor yet, but I wanted to just get major out of the way then do minor. Also we've only worked with triads. We haven't done chords with more than 3 notes. It's not too complicated but we'll get there.

So now that you're familiar with chord progressions, you just have to apply the chord progressions and plug them into keys... which means you need to know which chords are part of which keys.

So now in about 5 minutes I will post about all keys of songs.

Last edited by Resatka; 02-15-2010 at 03:32 PM.
    Old 02-15-2010, 06:10 PM   #104
    Resatka
    You Enjoy Myself

My Tour Central Stats

So we all know that there are different keys.

To be exact, there are 7 "sharp" keys and 7 "flat" keys that are part of the major scale. C is the only key with no sharps or flats. You won't need to learn all of them, because you'll learn that some sharp keys and flat keys are exactly the same (use same pitches). It's just about whether you want to notate it as a sharp or flat key. If that confuses you, I will eventually explain it.

So basically there are a few strategies to memorizing all of this stuff. I personally find the best way is first by memorizing which notes are part of which keys, and then memorizing all the roman numeral chords in each key. That way, you'll know which chords work with which keys.

For example you'd know that G major works in C major, G major, and D major if you had shit memorized.

Another way to memorize this shit (which I think is even better) is just by practicing with songs in each key, so that way you become totally comfortable and familiar with each. Learning a song in each key, and a solo in each will VASTLY improve your versatility knowledge, even if you play certain keys WAY more than others. And if you just wanna work with a few, practicing playing in a few will definitely help.

So let's work with the sharp keys. I like to start with # keys because they're more common in blues and rock, but flat keys are still extremely common.

So here are all the sharp keys.... I will include C at the beginning too.

C major | C D E F G A B C

G major | G A B C D E (F#) G

D major | D E F# G A B (C#) D

A major | A B C# D E F# (G#) A

E major | E F# G# A B C# (D#) E

B major | B C# D# E F# G# (A#) B

F# major | F# G# A# B C# D# (E#) F#

C# major | C# D# E# F# G# A# (B#) C#

I put the leading tone (the 7th note in the scale, which leads to the root) in parenthesis. As you can see, the difference between the initial key and the next key up is only ONE note. If you take the initial key (let's say C major) and you SHARP the 5th note, then you're now in G major. If you take the 5th note in D major, and SHARP it, you're now in A major.

This is because the FIFTH note sharped happens to be leading tone in the next key.

The sharping of the 5th note in each key, by creating an entirely new key, is called The Circle of 5ths. Pretty easy eh?

You'll also noticed that the current key you're includes ALL the sharps from the previous keys.

This also means depending on how many sharps you have will tell you which key you're in, because those keys use the same sharps every single time.

This ALSO means there's an order in which the sharps are made.

So let's use this as a shortcut to memorizing all the keys and saving hours of work.....

By sharping every 5th note, the note after the one you sharp is the root of the next key, the order of sharped notes are:

F C G D E A B

An example of an acronym for memorizing this could be Fat College Girls Don't Eat Any Bread. You can make your own.

So look at this table. It tells us how many sharps are in each key:

G | 1 #

D | 2 #

A | 3 #

E | 4 #

B | 5 #

F#| 6 #

C#| 7#

Now if I plug in my FCGEEAB rule and it tells us which notes are sharp:

G | 1# - F#

D | 2# - F#, C#

A | 3# - F#, C#, G#

E | 4# - F#, C#, G#, D#

B | 5# - F#, C#, G#, D#, A#

F#|6# - F#, C#, G#, D# A#, E#

C#|7# - F#, C#, G#, D#, A#, E#, B#

Do you see the pattern? In the next post I will go over which chords belong to which sharp keys.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:38 PM   #105
    Socks
    Nifty

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

If you can imagine a keyboard in your head and know the corresponding notes it makes this shit a thousand times easier to internalize, for what it's worth

last.fm
    Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-15-2010, 08:32 PM   #106
    haybale97
    king of men

My Tour Central Stats

sweet, understand all of that so far i think. if i think of questions i'll post em

Out With Gout
    Old 02-15-2010, 11:34 PM   #107
    Resatka
    You Enjoy Myself

My Tour Central Stats

Alright so that's sharps. Not too bad.

Flats are VERY similar to sharps, but instead you FLAT the 4th note instead of sharping the 5th. This is called the Cycle of Fourths.

The acronym for the number of flats is BEADGCF. Just like sharp keys, flat keys contain all the notes that were flatted in the previous flat keys.

If it has one flat, it has Bb
    If it has two flats, it has Bb and Eb
    If it has three flats, it has Bb, Eb, and Ab
    If it has four flats, it has Bb, Eb, Ab, and Db
    If it has five flats, it has Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, Gb
    If it has six flats, it has Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, Cb
    If it has 7 flats, it has Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, Cb, Fb.

Makes sense? Here are all the flat keys, by flatting every fourth note:

F | Number of flats: 1
    Bb| Number of flats: 2
    Eb| Number of flats: 3
    Ab| Number of flats: 4
    Db| Number of flats: 5
    Gb| Number of flats: 6
    Cb| Number of flats: 7

Here's what all the scales look like by flatting the 4th note:

F major - F G A (Bb) C D E F
    Bb major - Bb C D (Eb) F G A Bb
    Eb major - Eb F G (Ab) Bb C D Eb
    Ab major - Ab Bb C (Db) Eb F G Ab
    Db major - Db Eb F (Gb) Ab Bb C Db
    Gb major - Gb Ab Bb (Cb) Db Eb F Gb
    Cb major - Cb Db Eb (Fb) Gb Ab Bb Cb

So now that you know the keys works, and you have the tools to figure out the notes, I'm going to teach you some things before we study each key. I will post about 1 key a day for a while, that way I can get this into your head better and you can memorize it better as well. I will start with the keys that will be most useful to you first. I will also go over the minor keys in the next post, even including harmonic minor. If you're unfamiliar with it, songs such as The Last Stop or Minarets are based off of such a scale.

But first some things you should know.

I'm sure you know that certain note values are equivalent. For example:

Cb = B
    Db = C#
    Gb = F#

This also means:

Cb major = B major
    Db major = C# major
    Gb major = F# major

And because of this, Gb major, Db major, and Cb are usually notated as their sharp key equivalent in rock and blues music. In classical music, their actual key names are used more.

Also keys such as D#, C#, A#, B#, E#, and G# are not major keys that are ever notated. So you will never seem them.

So the next post I will talk about how minor keys work, and then we'll start studying keys. Because we're studying keys, we can go over songs, phrasing, AND chord progressions common in those keys. Which means you'll be able to apply ALL this theory in your playing.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:35 AM   #108
    haybale97
    king of men

My Tour Central Stats

wow this is such an easier way of learning the circle of 5ths and 4ths.

Out With Gout
    Old 02-16-2010, 01:50 PM   #109
    Resatka
    You Enjoy Myself

My Tour Central Stats

Pretty much this means if a song has 2 sharps in the key signature for example, it will ALWAYS be F# and C#, and the song will ALWAYS be D major. If a song has two flats in the key signature, they will ALWAYS be Bb and Eb, and the song will ALWAYS be Bb major.

So the minor scale.......

So there are a few types of minor scales. I'm not going to teach you all the keys of minor right now like I did for the sharps and flats. Instead, I'll teach you how to get the minor scale from each major key we go over.

You should know how to get the minor scale. Basically take the major scale. We'll use C major as usual:

C D E F G A B C

All you have to do is take the 6th note of the scale....

C D E F G (A) B C

And rewrite the scale starting on that note, but using all the notes within they key you're in

A B C D E F G A

THAT is a minor scale. Above is what the A minor scale looks like.

Due to how I generated the scale, by taking a note in an already preexisting scale, and starting and ending on that note, the minor scale is also a mode. I already said this before in case you forgot.

I'm going to give you a few examples, I'd like you to reply with answers.

What do the minor scales from these two keys look like?

Bb C D Eb F G A Bb

A E C# D E F# G# A

Anyways, so how do we get the other types of minor scales?

There are two types I'm going to go over right now: Pentatonic and Harmonic minor. I'm NOT going to go over melodic minor right now because you'll basically have no use for it. If you ever want to learn it or you're simply interested, let me know. I will go over the blues scale in a few lessons. I would go over it right now, but it's applications are

So let's take the A minor scale

A B C D E F G A

To make a minor scale pentatonic, all we have to do is remove two notes from the already existing minor scale. Why?

Well, the minor scale has 7 notes, and the pentatonic scale has 5.... so you might ask, which two notes?

The pentatonic scale doesn't use half steps. So here's how we get it.

A minor

A B C D E F G A

subtract half steps....

A (B) C D E (F) G A

A pentatonic minor

A C D E G A

In these pictures, you can physically see the notes removed:

A minor

A pentatonic minor

Alright so to get harmonic minor we need the minor scale

A B C D E F G A

So if you notice anything, between G to A is a whole step. Right now this scale has no leading tone. A leading tone needs to be a half-step from the root. Classical composers saw this as a problem, because they wanted a real V like in major with a leading tone, so they raised the last note in the scale so that it acted like a leading tone:

A B C D E F G# A

THAT is what the harmonic minor scale is. It's the minor scale, with the last note raised a half step.

If a minor scale has sharps in it, and the last note is already sharp, for example G# minor (which is part of B major):

G# A# B C# D# E F# G#

Well the F# is already sharp, but it's still a whole step from G#. So to make it a half step, we need to make it a double sharp. In sheet music it looks like an X. So here's how G# harmonic minor looks:

G# A# B C# D# E Fx G#

A double sharp is just a note raised a half step. You'll never really see or use a double sharp unless you're in harmonic minor, but other than that don't worry about it. You'll never see it in blues, pentatonic, regular minor and ESPECIALLY major.

So here's what is physically looks like on the fretboard:

A minor (normal):

A B C D E F G A

A harmonic minor:

You can also play the G# on the 9th fret on the B string.

Harmonic minor is used all the time. Songs by DMB like Minarets and The Last Stop are based off of such a scale. If used correctly, it has a middle-eastern quality to it. I won't go over chord progressions with it right now, but when we study each key, I will show you examples.

Anyways, that's basically minor for you. Not too complicated. You now know where the pentatonic minor scale comes from as well.

My next post, either later tonight or sometime tomorrow depending on how busy I am, will be the beginning of going over each key in music, that way you slowly become familiar with all of them. I will do the keys that are most useful to you first, or the keys that you probably most commonly will play in and listen to.

As usual, ask any question if there are any

Old 02-16-2010, 06:36 PM   #110
    haybale97
    king of men

My Tour Central Stats

answers to the quiz (i think)

G minor
    G A Bb C D Eb F G

F# minor
    F# G# A E C# D E F#

Out With Gout
    Old 02-16-2010, 10:30 PM   #111
    Resatka
    You Enjoy Myself

My Tour Central Stats

Perfect! Those are the correct answers to the quiz.

I actually realized we should do one more thing on chords before each key. It's kind of important and I skipped over it.

Alright so we know we can make a chord triad by using the root, 3rd, 5th method.

But obviously, there's more notes in chords sometimes. What are these notes that are used?

I'm going to teach a few new ones so you know how certain chords are named.

The first chord we'll go over is the major 7th chord.

First to create it, we need a major triad:

C D E F G A B C

(C) D (E) F (G) A B C

CEG

To make a major 7th chord, in this case a Cmaj7, all we do is add another note two alphabet notes up, so another 3rd on top, or you can think of it as 7 notes from the root:

(C) D (E) F (G) A (B) C

CEGB

For it to be a maj7 chord, the last note needs be a half step from the root. B is a half step from C, which happens to be the root. The octave in which B is in doesn't matter. Actually, as long as you have all the notes that belong to the chord, it doesn't matter what order the notes are or which note is the highest. For example:

CEGB = EGBC = GBCE = etc.

But the notes have to line up alphabetically, every other note when you rearrange it.

So now the next chord is pretty important. Let's take a C major 7th chord:

CEGB

(C) D (E) F (G) A (B) C

So now if you take the 7th note, which happens to be B, you get an entirely new chord:

CEGB ---> Flat the 7th ----> C-E-G-Bb

This is now a Dominant 7th chord. You've probably seen it notated as:

C7, D7, A7

Basically, it's a chord with a note that's 7 alphabetic notes from the root, and it's a whole-step down from the root.

C-E-G-Bb would be called a C7 chord.

It has a few functions. One, it's used to embellish the V-I relationship. That extra note added in creates more tension, or so a build up to the main chord in the song, which is ALWAYS the I chord.

It's also used as the man chord found in blues songs. For example a blues chord progression might look like:

I7 - IV7 - V7 - I7

A7 - D7 - E7 - A7

Minor chords also function the same way with 7ths.

Let's take an A minor chord:

(A) B (C) D (E) F G A

ACE = A minor

Use the same rule and add the note that's 7 notes from the initial note/root:

(A) B (C) D (E) F (G) A

ACEG = Amin7

Basically, in a minor chord, you add the 7th note from the root, and it has to be a whole step from the root.

There are other kinds of 7th chords, including diminished, but there's no need to teach you those right now. They wouldn't be of any use to you. If you ever want to learn them I can teach them to you, but for now we'll skip over them.

================================================== ======

There are also other kinds of chords you should know.

When you take a major chord, and you add in a note that's 6 notes from the root, that's called a 6 ("six") chord. A C6 chord would look like this

C major

(C) D (E) F (G) A B C

Add in a 6th....

(C) D (E) F (G) (A) B C

CEGA = C6

There's also suspended chords. There are two types you'll need to know for now. These are sus2 and sus4.

Sus2 is when you add in the next note that's after the root, or the 2nd note. You also delete the 3rd. Sometime people don't, but I do because I like the sound of it. You a Here's an example.

Csus2

(C) (D) (E*) F (G) A B C

CD(E)G

*Using the 3rd is optional in a suspended chord. Most suspended chords don't use them.

A sus4 is basically the same thing, but instead you throw in the 4th note in the scale and throw out the 3rd

(C) D (E) (F) (G) A B C

C (E) F G

================================================== =====

There's also an add chord. It's closely related to a suspended chord, but there is a difference.

An add chord is when you add in an odd numbered note that's above the root, and is beyond the 7th note, so these notes are usually 9, 11, or 13 notes above. You really never see anything past that.

So if we add in the note that's 9 above the root:

(C) D (E) F (G) E B C (D) E F

CEGD = Cadd9 chord

And add 11 chord is when you add the 11 above the root:

(C) D (E) F (G) E B C D E (F)

CEGF = Cadd11 chord

And for an add13...

(C) D (E) F (G) E B C D E F G (A)

CEGA = Cadd13

===============================================

As you notice, some of the add chords have the same notes as the suspended chords:

Csus2 = CEGD
    Cadd9 = CEGD

To distinguish the difference, suspended chords throw out the 3rd note and replace it with the 2nd, while an add chord retains the entire triad.

Csus2= CDG
    Cadd9= CEGD

Same with

Csus4 = CFG
    Cadd11 = CEGD

One last thing........

This is still a C major chord:

(C) D E F (G) A B (C) D (E) F G A B (C) D (E) F (G) A B C

Even though it's CGCECEGC and it's really spaced out, it fundamentally has the chord tones of a C major chord. So as long as it's all the right notes, the order in which you play them, and the octaves that they are don't matter.

This chord ----> CGCECEGC is still a C major chord because it has CEG. Get it?

This concept works the same with all chords, major, minor, etc.

Alright so next post, we will start studying different keys of music!

Old 02-16-2010, 10:45 PM   #112
    Resatka
    You Enjoy Myself

My Tour Central Stats

Also here are some important barre chord/movable shapes I'd definitely have down. They're very easy. They will all be based off of C except the dominant 7 chords:

C major 7th (Cmaj7)

http://all-guitar-chords.com/index.php?ch=C&mm=maj7&v=2

================================================== =

C minor 7 (Cmin7)

http://all-guitar-chords.com/index.php?ch=C&mm=m7&v=2

and

http://all-guitar-chords.com/index.p...&mm=m7&get=Get

and

http://all-guitar-chords.com/index.php?ch=C&mm=m7&v=1

and easiest of all....

http://all-guitar-chords.com/index.php?ch=C&mm=m7&v=8

=====================================

And most importantly

D7 (these dominant chords are a must for playing blues and rock!)

http://all-guitar-chords.com/index.php?ch=D&mm=7&v=1

and

http://all-guitar-chords.com/index.php?ch=D&mm=7&v=3

and

http://all-guitar-chords.com/index.php?ch=D&mm=7&v=4

Also I'd learn these two shapes:

E-------x-----
    B-------x-----
    G-------11----
    D-------10----
    A-------9-----
    E-------10----

E-----x-----
    B-----6----
    G-----5----
    D-----4----
    A-----5----
    E-----x----

We'll start studying C major and everything based off of it tomorrow

Old 02-18-2010, 09:52 AM   #113
    haybale97
    king of men

My Tour Central Stats

awesome, i'll keep going with those chords, i usually don't use those shapes

Out With Gout
    Old 02-18-2010, 11:53 PM   #114
    Resatka
    You Enjoy Myself

My Tour Central Stats

Definitely learn them. They're everywhere and will be so helpful to already know, especially the Dominant chords. Anyways...

I think I might do one key a week. That way the ideas are in your brain for longer, and you'll have a better understanding of it. So here we go.

Alright so C major.. arguably the most popular key in modern music. The I personally believe the reason it's so popular is simply because it's an easy key for all instruments to play in, especially on guitar. All the open string in standard tuning work in C, and many open chords at the beginning of the fretboard are also in C major. It's one of the most versatile keys as well. I've heard so many different styles of song based off of the key. Basically everything.

Also we know, here are all the chords of C major:

CEG = C major = I
    DFA = D minor = ii
    EGB = E minor = iii
    FAC = F major = IV
    GBD = G major = V
    ACE = A minor = vi
    BDF = B diminished = vii^ ^ <--- that's suppose to be a degree sign

So in most common music, people rarely even use the diminished vii chord in C like any other major key. Instead, they'll substitute it with a V7 chord.

B diminished = BDF
    G Dominant 7 (G7) = GBDF

as you can see these two chords share notes in common. The V7 is better than just the diminished simply because it has the consonant sound of a major chord so it doesn't stick out too much, but the perfect amount of dissonance the make it want to go to the I chord, which means for in C major:

G7 - C major

A good G7 to use for C is this one:

E| 3
    B| 3
    G| 4
    D| 3
    A| 5
    E| 3

All the notes with 3 you barre with your index finger.

The major scale can also incorporate the minor pentatonic scale as well. How so?

Well we know A minor is part of C major. A minor pentatonic looks like this:

A C D E G A

Pretty easy right? But notice it still have the note C:

A (C) D E G A

So what does this mean? Well, it means that we can play the notes of hte pentatonic minor scale, which is based off of A minor, IN C major, because it also has C and all the notes from the major scale.

You get a certain type of sound doing this. Playing a pentatonic scale over a major chord actually sounds great. Many many blues guitarists have done this, and so have many rockers. Some include David Gilmour, Duane Allman, Angus Young, Jimmy Page, etc. you get the idea.

So how do I know if I'm in C if I'm playing an A minor scale? One, it will fit with the music because they use all the same notes, and also because C is in A minor pentatonic. Using this technique of soloing over a major chord using a pentatonic scale is called playing in pentatonic major.

Here are some beginner (and even pretty good) licks in such a style. I'd learn these for sure. Blues guitarists go back and fourth between the major and minor sound all the time simply because it opens up doors for more ideas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN7wwu5tGH4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=713OZ...eature=related

these licks are versatile because you can play them in both A minor (for blues and rock) and in C major as well. The guitar in the video also shows how you play it to actual music.

So what's the trick to fitting with C with an A minor pentatonic scale? Because A minor pentatonic has a C note, you simply have to end your phrases and melodies on C instead of A. When you phrase, the last note of your solo or maybe a section of the solo should also lead you to the root. This is the basic concept behind how melodies are made.

So melodic ideas in C... there aren't many lessons on this you can find on Youtube, so next week I'll do an audio lesson. Melodic meaning using all the notes of the scale, playing "as if I was singing", improvising melodies, that kind of thing. Many famous solos use this concept, but it is seldom taught to others well. I'll try to do my best in my audio lesson.

For now I'm going to bombard you with some minor/major pentatonic stuff. We'll go over blues scale stuff this week. You'll probably know a handful of licks by the end of the week, and you'll soon be able to play along to all the classics. So next we'll go over pure minor, playing in A minor pentatonic, and the A blues scale.

Here are a list of songs (if you'd like to learn them or simply want to study licks used in them) that are in C major (we'll do A minor separately).

Led Zeppelin - D'Yer Mak'er
    The Beatles - Something
    Bob Marley - No Women No Cry
    Dreams - Van Halen (guitar solo)
    The Rolling Stones - Start Me Up
    311 - Amber
    Pearl Jam - Off He Goes

etc. etc. there are millions of songs in C. These are just a few examples.

Honestly melodic soloing in C isn't that common in rock. Keys like E minor, G major, A minor, B minor, etc. use that type a lot more. C and A in rock is mostly blues if there's a guitar player soloing.

I'll be back here in a few days and we'll start studying A minor, it's licks, the scale, chord progressions, songs that use A minor, and an introduction to Blues.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:56 AM   #115
    nickadams

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Thanks Provide Guitar Lesson.
    nickadams is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-20-2010, 06:42 PM   #116
    haybale97
    king of men

My Tour Central Stats

looking foward to more dude

Out With Gout
    Old 02-21-2010, 05:23 PM   #117
    Resatka
    You Enjoy Myself

My Tour Central Stats

Sorry I haven't posted in a few days, I have to do a SHITLOAD of work. I will post my next lesson tomorrow.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:27 PM   #118
    Resatka
    You Enjoy Myself

My Tour Central Stats

Alright so finally.... A minor.

Imagine if we took the roman numerals and based it off of the A minor scale. If would use the same chords, however the chord would be a different roman numeral. Here are the roman numerals for A minor.

ACE = i = A minor

BDF = ii(degree sign) = B diminished

CEG = III = C major

DFA = iv = D minor

EGB = V = E minor

FAC = VI = F major

GBD = VII = G major

In rock music, the ii isn't used so often. In classical music it's used all the time, but it's not conventionally used.

Also if we're doing plain minor (not harmonic), there's no leading tone (a note that's half a step below the root), so the next note behind A is G. So in this sense, we can treat G major and E minor as a v chord in a way, simply because the G to the A tonally makes sense, meaning it doesn't sound bad.

So because of this, here are some common progressions in A minor:

i III iv v i = A minor, C Major, D minor, E minor, A minor

i VII VI VII i = A minor, G major, F major, A minor

i III VI VII i = A minor, C major, F major, G major, A minor

And so on. There are millions of variations of A minor. All of these chords can be played open to. So if you want to write your own songs, all these chords work together in this key! You can also used the ii(degree sign) chord if you'd like in there, but it's not common in rock music so people might be like if they hear it.

Here are are some songs that are based off of A minor:

Jumper - Third Eye Blind

Dust In The Wind - Kansas

Gravedigger - You know who

All of My Love - Led Zeppelin

Exodus - Bob Marley

Garden - Pearl Jam

So basically for A minor, you'll use these open chords:

A minor
    C major
    D minor
    G major
    F major
    E minor

and B diminished if you want to learn it.

But as you should know, A minor looks like this:

And C major looks like this:

Obviously as you know they use the same notes. That means that the same solos, melodies, and licks are interchangeable between the two. So if you use one lick in one key, you can use it in the other.

You'll use A minor from time to time, but a scale that's based off of it, A minor pentatonic, is used way more extensively in rock music, and even more so in blues. My next lesson will be an introduction to it. Then after that we'll start blues. After that we'll start studying G major, which has the E minor and E minor pentatonic scale (so common in music).

Old 02-22-2010, 09:06 PM   #119
    haybale97
    king of men

My Tour Central Stats

damn, the one song i've actually written and have some structure to is in a minor.thanks, these are awesome as always

Out With Gout
    Old 02-22-2010, 10:32 PM   #120
    Resatka
    You Enjoy Myself

My Tour Central Stats

Here's a great video on the A minor scale plus some licks that you can use:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9zpK0XNwOY

Here's a cool descending lick in A minor: