What (besides politics) irritates you? - Page 725 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 04-24-2014, 04:44 AM   #21721
M. Steng
Empowered & Informed.

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Re: What irritates you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverford05 View Post
Know what I hate? I have the CBC (congressional Black Caucus) getting pissy with some low seated chairman about comments he made about the general inner-city population of the country and how they're is a culture of laziness and non accountability within their ranks. You know what? He's fuckin right. Ain't no one in the cbc that see's what public service workers see in cities now a days. If I have to hear 1 more fuckin time that a job I have to offer isn't worth screwing up an unemployment claim over I might just fuckin quit, leave my decent job and go back to VA where I belong; wedding and fiance' be damned.
My girlfriend is a social worker in southwestern CT and routinely visits some pretty disadvantaged areas of the state, such as South Norwalk, Bridgeport, and Stamford. She sees this type of shit every day. Fathers who are either completely out of the picture or so not involved in their child's life that they might as well be. I agree that it is a cultural phenomenon, but it also is a cyclical pattern that is harder to break than you might think. Black males in the inner-city need to start taking accountability for their actions, and especially for their families/children. This applies to any of the deadbeat dad types, but it is definitely more prevalent/noticeable in the inner-city population.

How many stories on Sportscenter on black athletes do you hear the line "I never knew my dad, but thanks to my (insert strong female relative her), I had a sense of structure in the house"? Again, hopefully not coming off as racially insensitive, but there is definitely a recognizable pattern in the inner-city community that needs to be corrected, or at least contained. If it goes on for future generations then the welfare system in this country is just going to collapse in on itself. The state can only pay for so many services.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 04-24-2014, 04:58 AM   #21722
    FromTheMorning

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Some of the "larger" people who just stand on the escalator and let it carry them up is kind of sad. They should really be taking the stairs, or at the very least walking up the escalator.
    FromTheMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-24-2014, 05:10 AM   #21723
    drop2d

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FromTheMorning View Post
    Some of the "larger" people who just stand on the escalator and let it carry them up is kind of sad. They should really be taking the stairs, or at the very least walking up the escalator.
    We need to enact the European rules - walk left, stand right. As much as I loved London, that was one of my favorite parts of the visit. Most people here just get on and stand right in the middle.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by drakan View Post
    Cuomo for president.
    drop2d is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-24-2014, 05:12 AM   #21724
    scrock25

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcc522 View Post
    Harm her how? Like legitimately forcefully rape her? sure, beat his ass. Consensualy fuck her brains out then not call her the next day? C'mon man, not worth it.

Also, what the hell is so alarming about a holstered pistol?
    Who said anything about it being alarming?

I just think it's 100% unecessary to have a conversation with a kid about shotguns and shovels, or threaten violence, much less do all that while sitting there with a gun on your hip. In my opinion that's ridiculous.

Like I said on the last page, I never had conversations like that, was never threatened with violence, and never experienced talking to a family member of a girl I was dating while he was packing and I've never had an issue with how to treat girls/women. It just all comes across as dumb to me.
    scrock25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-24-2014, 05:14 AM   #21725
    unccrombie
    HairSlkdBakWayfarersOn

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by drop2d View Post
    We need to enact the European rules - walk left, stand right. As much as I loved London, that was one of my favorite parts of the visit. Most people here just get on and stand right in the middle.
    things are typically fine here in DC until the tourists swarm in. I have no problem literally pushing them though.
    unccrombie is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-24-2014, 05:44 AM   #21726
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scrock25 View Post

I just think it's 100% unecessary to have a conversation with a kid about shotguns and shovels, or threaten violence, much less do all that while sitting there with a gun on your hip. In my opinion that's ridiculous.

Like I said on the last page, I never had conversations like that, was never threatened with violence, and never experienced talking to a family member of a girl I was dating while he was packing and I've never had an issue with how to treat girls/women. It just all comes across as dumb to me.

That's just what I call the talk because of the line in Clueless.

Most of the time it was congenial enough. I never actually feared for my life.
    Old 04-24-2014, 05:46 AM   #21727
    scrock25

Shows Seen: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    That's just what I call the talk because of the line in Clueless.

Most of the time it was congenial enough. I never actually feared for my life.
    Totally understood...
    scrock25 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-24-2014, 05:53 AM   #21728
    drop2d

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

If it's done in a half-serious, half-joking way... it's really not a big deal. And it doesn't always have to be a family member really. You must've had friends that were girls growing up - maybe you told one of their boyfriends "you hurt her, I'll kill you"? Maybe not... One of my best friends is a female, even she told my wife shortly after we met that she'd kill her if she hurt me. It's just a semi-lighthearted way of saying "I care about this person - don't be a fucking dick".
    Quote:
    Cuomo for president.
    Old 04-24-2014, 05:53 AM   #21729
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by drop2d View Post

I've seen signs for it here in the states, on both the airport walkways, and escalators. People just ignore them though.

I think if I'd never been to Europe and seen it followed with very few exceptions, it'd piss me off much less here.
    Old 04-24-2014, 06:00 AM   #21730
    drop2d

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    I've seen signs for it here in the states, on both the airport walkways, and escalators. People just ignore them though.

I think if I'd never been to Europe and seen it followed with very few exceptions, it'd piss me off much less here.
    Same... it was so glorious... like the gates of heaven opened up and I could just walk right through. I'd almost consider moving there just for that convenience.
    Quote:
    Cuomo for president.
    Old 04-24-2014, 08:20 AM   #21731
    zajDmB1

Shows Seen: 44

My Tour Central Stats

Lack of door etiquette.

These things happen to me on such a regular basis I'm about to stop holding doors for anyone.

1) Not saying thank you for my door holding, whether they touch it or not.

2) Maybe saying thank you, but having free hands and not taking over the door holding. Now, this could be excusable if it was only us two, but I'm usually headed out with a lunch/end of day crowd. So now I get stuck with either being the doorman until someone decides to take over, or being the asshole who lets a door close on someone. All because that second person couldn't take over for half a second.
    zajDmB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-24-2014, 08:29 AM   #21732
    DIDriveOut2SPAC
    American Aquarium Drnkr

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zajDmB1 View Post
    Lack of door etiquette.

These things happen to me on such a regular basis I'm about to stop holding doors for anyone.

1) Not saying thank you for my door holding, whether they touch it or not.

2) Maybe saying thank you, but having free hands and not taking over the door holding. Now, this could be excusable if it was only us two, but I'm usually headed out with a lunch/end of day crowd. So now I get stuck with either being the doorman until someone decides to take over, or being the asshole who lets a door close on someone. All because that second person couldn't take over for half a second.
    We have finally come full circle.
    Old 04-24-2014, 08:56 AM   #21733
    smokew11
    1-0

Shows Seen: 40

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

this just seems to be something that happens more on TV than in real life
    Old 04-24-2014, 09:16 AM   #21734
    FromTheMorning

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

People who just pile their dishes next to the sink and expect it to be cleaned for them. Assuming you have a dishwasher, it takes 15 seconds maximum to run some water over your plate to get some of the leftover food off and then place it in the dishwasher along with the utensils.
    FromTheMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-24-2014, 09:16 AM   #21735
    dmbgodagirl41
    Go. Tommy. Go.

Shows Seen: 107

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by defcon View Post
    I dont know if I would call it that, but then again...I am going to be one of those missing persons. Never talking to any of my family again. If they cant even just give an encouraging word and pick-me-up at my worst, they do NOT deserve me at my best. I plan to leave forever, onto greener pastures, one step at a time. Probably moving to North Dakota soon, unless something else pans out. Every new beginning comes from another beginnings end.
    This post is nothing but YOLO.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scoobyc View Post
    You know you hit rock bottom when you are quoting Semi Sonic songs as inspiration.
    What are you talking about, Semisonic is the shit.
    Closing TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DIDriveOut2SPAC View Post
    Sure there is tons of jobs in the Dakotas and its not depressing at all

Sent from Windows Phone
    I laughed.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lcsulla View Post
    He was not threatening or anything, in fact he was very polite in asking that I look after his little girl. He never pulled out the weapon or anything, it was just on his belt. Looking back with hindsight he was probably just target shooting in his backyard when I came up the driveway, they had plenty of land so it was legal.

Actually all women have issues in general.
    Bolded = fact

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foreverford05 View Post
    Know what I hate? I have the CBC (congressional Black Caucus) getting pissy with some low seated chairman about comments he made about the general inner-city population of the country and how they're is a culture of laziness and non accountability within their ranks. You know what? He's fuckin right. Ain't no one in the cbc that see's what public service workers see in cities now a days. If I have to hear 1 more fuckin time that a job I have to offer isn't worth screwing up an unemployment claim over I might just fuckin quit, leave my decent job and go back to VA where I belong; wedding and fiance' be damned.
    Clearly the CBC hasn't spent time in the shitty areas of DC or Baltimore...or, if they have, they really haven't.
    Calm down, 12.
    dmbgodagirl41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-24-2014, 09:19 AM   #21736
    dmbgodagirl41
    Go. Tommy. Go.

My Tour Central Stats

Today's irritant: I just got out of a meeting here at work and I just got the most badass assignment to do for the next week and I can't even brag about it to anyone because I can't talk about specifics of my job. What good is having the most awesome job ever if you can't rub it in everyone else's miserable work-faces?

This is bullshit.
    Calm down, 12.
    Old 04-24-2014, 11:58 AM   #21737
    zajDmB1

Shows Seen: 44

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DIDriveOut2SPAC View Post
    We have finally come full circle.
    Was this the first thing someone posted or something?

EDIT: Oh, right…just looked. Well, people still suck at it.
    zajDmB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-24-2014, 02:02 PM   #21738
    cazzie34
    Gummy Oatmeal

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by defcon View Post
    Yeah I was going to blow my brains out today but I had a long talk with a crisis counselor and a couple of trusted friends. I feel way better. I have changes to make and after I get me sorted out its time to break the ties that bind me for good.
    Changed my sig to my favorite story from you.

The longer I live, the more I read, the more patiently I think and the more anxiously I inquire; the less I seem to know.
    cazzie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-24-2014, 02:29 PM   #21739
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'm overweight and I still walk up escalators. I hate when people just stand there.

DMB 2023: Nashville, Milwaukee, Deer Creek x2, Chicago x2
    AlexK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-24-2014, 03:36 PM   #21740
    GSUdawg521
    hbtd

Shows Seen: 28

My Tour Central Stats

I can get behind people being irritated by stand right/walk left not being obeyed, but people really care that other people simply ride the escalator? Is there an escalator rule that you must walk them?
    GSUdawg521 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-24-2014, 03:51 PM   #21741
    drop2d

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by GSUdawg521 View Post
    I can get behind people being irritated by stand right/walk left not being obeyed, but people really care that other people simply ride the escalator? Is there an escalator rule that you must walk them?
    How many standers have you seen that are standing in such a way that someone could get by easily? It doesn't happen often.
    Quote:
    Cuomo for president.
    Old 04-24-2014, 03:54 PM   #21742
    dmbgodagirl41
    Go. Tommy. Go.

My Tour Central Stats

I stand on an escalator (up and down) if I'm in heels.
    Calm down, 12.
    Old 04-24-2014, 03:56 PM   #21743
    jcc522
    Take Warning

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

If you walk up the escalator, how do you make use of the shoe cleaners on either side?
    Old 04-24-2014, 04:11 PM   #21744
    AlexK79
    Let There Be Rock

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    People who just pile their dishes next to the sink and expect it to be cleaned for them. Assuming you have a dishwasher, it takes 15 seconds maximum to run some water over your plate to get some of the leftover food off and then place it in the dishwasher along with the utensils.
    I had a roommate that used to do this and it drove me absolutely insane. Especially because we had a dishwasher, and he would pile the damn dishes on the counter DIRECTLY above where the dishwasher was. It got so bad that we ended up with an ant infestation in our kitchen. I spent 4 hours scrubbing the place from top to bottom, bleaching, and spraying for the bugs, left a huge note on the fridge about keeping your crusty dishes in the dishwasher so this doesn't happen again, and he still kept doing it.

DMB 2023: Nashville, Milwaukee, Deer Creek x2, Chicago x2
    AlexK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-24-2014, 04:57 PM   #21745
    AlpineValley804
    Casey

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

For about a month I have had absolutely horrendous internet service. Constantly goes out of service for a few minutes at a time, and now as of today, it's to the point where I can only get on through my phone. That Time Warner ad about not settling for outdated internet just adds fuel to the fire because that's ironically who we get our service from.
    Originally Posted by ToySoldier#34 View Post
    Something about power boosts with anal plugs didn't quite put it above Shawshank Redemption for me
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Route_2 View Post
    Both movies do have anal, though.
    AlpineValley804 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-24-2014, 05:35 PM   #21746
    laura22

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    this might be my biggest roommate pet peeve
    laura22 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-24-2014, 05:38 PM   #21747
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlpineValley804 View Post
    For about a month I have had absolutely horrendous internet service. Constantly goes out of service for a few minutes at a time, and now as of today, it's to the point where I can only get on through my phone. That Time Warner ad about not settling for outdated internet just adds fuel to the fire because that's ironically who we get our service from.
    I can't wait until Google Fiber is finished being set up here so I can finally tell Time Warner to fuck off for good.
    Old 04-25-2014, 05:21 AM   #21748
    defcon
    :rattled

Shows Seen: 14

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cazzie34 View Post
    Changed my sig to my favorite story from you.
    Awesome.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlpineValley804 View Post
    TWCs rural internet sucks. Never had a problem in a major area. I have Charter right now, 60 meg. At work there is really slow DSL, and by really slow, I mean about 256k. It is just a little bit faster than dialup. Almost unbearable, but not quite.

Guys, I am going to clarify some of the family issues to get perspective from you. Today my irritant is this. About two weeks ago, I moved into an empty house owned by my grandfather. Some of you will recall the cousin/in-law (soon to be) drama. Well, he and his new girl moved out a couple of months ago. When I moved here, it was with the agreement that it would be temporary (until May 1st) and I would pay the utilities and do some minor work. I have held up my end of the bargain. Well, my grandfather has been crying and under a lot of stress lately. He has been suffering from dementia and senility. He lives just down the road with my grandmother-in-common-law. This woman hates my guts and is basically every bad stereotype you think about the South. She took it upon herself to rent the house out to her next door neighbors children. Now, these people supposedly work three jobs each yet they cannot afford to move out of their parents home. As I understand it, the agreement was that they would pay no rent in exchange for doing work, on their word.

My Uncle called me out of the blue yesterday and told me that this woman called him and bad mouthed me, said some things that were admittedly true but also said some things we determined were lies, and said he was sorry for the drama put on me. We are undergoing proceedings as of this morning to have my grandfather labeled a vulnerable adult and to get power of attorney. I completed my paperwork and I have to go by Family Court for POA and DSS for vulnerable adult. In short, we were denied access to him during Easter when the family was in town. They were either gone or did not answer the door. Nobody saw him. We want a welfare check and for him to be removed if necessary. He has an empty house here, or he can go to assisted living or a nursing home.

Already into TL/DR territory, but yesterday I had to physically eject the neighbors kids and three very shady looking people from the property. I was gone all day, in fact, had packed up my things in my car, when my uncle called me. When I got here, I saw no vehicles and decided to walk around back, where we have a storage building. I found them in it, had cut the lock with bolt cutters. They had selected a pile of valuables, including a coin collection. One of the unidentified males challenged me, so regrettably I had to go back to the car and holster my sidearm. Once they saw me do that, they scattered like cockroaches. I was able to get video of that.

Now I am pulling security detail here in addition to starting a new part-time job. Alot on me. Good vibes.

Edit: Question is, should I even care? Do I care too much?

Last edited by defcon; 04-25-2014 at 05:22 AM.
    defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-25-2014, 05:27 AM   #21749
    neumdogg
    Happy birthday, Paulie!

Shows Seen: 69

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbgodagirl41 View Post
    I stand on an escalator (up and down) if I'm in heels.
    Men wear heels?
    neumdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 04-25-2014, 06:27 AM   #21750
    HoldemHart
    Love This Goofy Bastard

Shows Seen: 85

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Migraines.

Fuck Migraines.
    HoldemHart is offline   Reply With Quote