Favorite beer of choice? - Page 55 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 11-19-2009, 08:59 PM   #1621
scottbtdmb

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Favorite beer of choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiduwho View Post
Took it back, and got the 2009 edition. Hopefully this one treats me better.
Nice! Let me know how the 2009 works out. I am still holding out on it since I still have to finish all the west coast stuff I got from dmbsignguy. I did make an exception tonight for the Mad Elf though. That is disappointing that the 2008 didn't turn out good for you. I have heard mixed reviews on aging Anchor OSA. Some people claim that even though the alcohol level isn't high enough to meet aging requirements, some of the spices used in the ale act as antioxidants and prevent the beer from oxidizing. On the other side of the coin, I heard a review from one guy that cellared a 2005 at the proper temperature in a cool, dark place, but when he went to try it, it was skunked. I would have to say with the 2008 though, the store probably left it out on their shelves and the sun got to it. If I get around to it, I will pick up a 2008 bottle just for kicks and see how my experience with it is. Happy drinking.

-Scott
scottbtdmb is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 11-20-2009, 12:35 AM   #1622
    geoffc
    Just thinking out loud

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Depending on the season and what's available, Skinny Dip, 2 Below or Spring Board (all New Belgium seasonals). I'd have to put Odell's 90 Shilling up there. Light beer I go Coors Light, Mexican beer I prefer Dos Equis Lager.
    Old 11-21-2009, 04:20 PM   #1623
    Bron Yr Aur

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Went to the Blind Pig and their new brewery bar in Champaign, IL on Thursday. They just started serving their own brews on Tuesday. Tried their English bitter, which was quite good. Great to taste some super-fresh, extremely small-batch beer.

Also had:
    Rogue Chocolate Stout
    Rogue XS Old Crustacean Barleywine
    Rogue Mogul Madness on cask

They were featuring Rogue beers, it was a good night. The Mogul Madness was fantastic.
    Old 11-21-2009, 06:08 PM   #1624
    dmaul1114

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Haven't had the Mogul Madness....will have to keep my eye out for it. Chocolate Stout is damn good. I didn't care for the Old Crustacean though. Found it too bitter for a barleywine. Weyerbacher Old Heathen is probably my favorite. Hair of the Dog Fred is damn good as well.
    Shows Attended: 6/15/96; 6/3/98; 5/9/99; 6/4/99; 8/2/02; 8/3/02; 7/14/04; 6/26/05; 6/24/06; 6/28/08; 6/19/09; 6/20/09; 7/27/10; 5/22/12; 12/11/12; 4/7/13; 5/24/14; 5/30/15; 5/28/16; 5/31/17; 5/26/18; 7/27/21; 5/21/22
    dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-21-2009, 06:43 PM   #1625
    Beefsteak1138

Shows Seen: 10

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Mad Elf this evening.
    Beefsteak1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-21-2009, 08:13 PM   #1626
    scottbtdmb

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Beefsteak1138 View Post
    Mad Elf this evening.
    Sweet! I had a nice little cheese and beer pairing tonight. Started off the session with Monks Cafe Flemish Sour (Oud Bruin) paired up with some fontina. The earthy flavor of the cheese went perfect with this particular style. Monks Flemish Sour is pretty stellar, but nothing beats having it on tap at the restaurant! Anyhow, I also had a Harveys Christmas Ale, which was kind of a cross between a barleywine and a winter warmer. I decided to forego pairing with cheese and had a snickerdoodle cookie with it instead. Good times!

-Scott
    Old 11-21-2009, 09:32 PM   #1627
    Bron Yr Aur

Shows Seen: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
    Haven't had the Mogul Madness....will have to keep my eye out for it. Chocolate Stout is damn good. I didn't care for the Old Crustacean though. Found it too bitter for a barleywine. Weyerbacher Old Heathen is probably my favorite. Hair of the Dog Fred is damn good as well.
    I didn't think Old Crustacean was overly bitter on tap. Plus, a barleywine like that should have a strong hop presence, IMO.
    Old 11-21-2009, 09:40 PM   #1628
    dmaul1114

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scottbtdmb View Post
    Monks Flemish Sour is pretty stellar, but nothing beats having it on tap at the restaurant!
    I couldn't bring myself to try it when I was there a couple weeks ago. So much other great stuff on tap, and I've hated every Flemish I've tried. Just not into sours.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bron Yr Aur View Post
    I didn't think Old Crustacean was overly bitter on tap. Plus, a barleywine like that should have a strong hop presence, IMO.
    I had it in bottle. Just didn't dig it--too bitter for my liking. I like my barleywines to be sweet with some hoppiness--Old Heathen, Hair of the Dog Fred, Lagunitas Gnarlywine etc. Stone Old Guardian is the only hoppier one I've liked at all.
    Shows Attended: 6/15/96; 6/3/98; 5/9/99; 6/4/99; 8/2/02; 8/3/02; 7/14/04; 6/26/05; 6/24/06; 6/28/08; 6/19/09; 6/20/09; 7/27/10; 5/22/12; 12/11/12; 4/7/13; 5/24/14; 5/30/15; 5/28/16; 5/31/17; 5/26/18; 7/27/21; 5/21/22
    Old 11-21-2009, 09:54 PM   #1629
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Drinking the Big Bear Black Stout by Bear Republic right now.

It's a good stout. Good. That's what I'd rate it. Nothing too spectacular, but $5.99/22 oz, so I'm good.

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert
    Tiduwho is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-22-2009, 12:12 AM   #1630
    Semper454

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Maredsous makes really tasty stuff. Both the Blonde and the Triple are excellent beers.
    Semper454 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-22-2009, 01:12 AM   #1631
    Emanu

Location: Depends, already lived in 7 countries, 3 continents & visited 80 countries.

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Semper454 View Post
    Maredsous makes really tasty stuff. Both the Blonde and the Triple are excellent beers.
    Agreed, but I still prefer the 8 Brown, its one of my favorites.
    Emanu is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-22-2009, 08:06 AM   #1632
    scottbtdmb

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Drinking the Big Bear Black Stout by Bear Republic right now.

It's a good stout. Good. That's what I'd rate it. Nothing too spectacular, but $5.99/22 oz, so I'm good.
    jm
    Agreed. For the money, you really can't beat it. Brooklyn BCS is 10 bucks a 4 pk and Ten Fidy went up to 16.99 a 4 pk!!! Stout lovers get no love this winter!
    Old 11-22-2009, 12:14 PM   #1633
    Semper454

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Emanu View Post
    Agreed, but I still prefer the 8 Brown, its one of my favorites.
    I'll try to check that out. The local pub has Blonde on tap and Triple in bottles. Not sure about the Brown.
    Semper454 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-22-2009, 05:07 PM   #1634
    scottbtdmb

My Tour Central Stats

St. Bernadus Christmas Ale on deck for tonight with some pumpkin pie! Anyone had the Bernie Xmas Ale yet?

-Scott
    Old 11-22-2009, 05:17 PM   #1635
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    St. Bernadus Christmas Ale on deck for tonight with some pumpkin pie! Anyone had the Bernie Xmas Ale yet?

-Scott
    Let me know how it goes, I've got one upstairs right now.

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert
    Old 11-22-2009, 05:36 PM   #1636
    scottbtdmb

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    LOL, we should have an online tasting
    Old 11-22-2009, 07:20 PM   #1637
    dahpissah
    She is sooo hot!

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Sea Dog Blueberry
    dahpissah is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-23-2009, 01:00 AM   #1638
    Emanu

Location: Depends, already lived in 7 countries, 3 continents & visited 80 countries.

My Tour Central Stats

I was trying to find that St. Bernadus Christmas Ale, but could not, but I found some other great brew, and with 3 different Pannepot.
    http://thebeerinme.com/e107_files/pu...0_img_0867.jpg
    Old 11-23-2009, 03:36 PM   #1639
    DrinkNoH2O
    I drink & I know things

Shows Seen: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Quote:

-Scott
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Emanu View Post
    I was trying to find that St. Bernadus Christmas Ale, but could not, but I found some other great brew, and with 3 different Pannepot.
    http://thebeerinme.com/e107_files/pu...0_img_0867.jpg

I wish my local store had St. Bernardus XMas Ale, still haven't gotten it in yet. I picked up a Delirium Noel but haven't tried it yet.

On the home brewing front my Amber Ale should be just about done bottle conditioning... I'll give it a taste tomorrow night. If all is well a case of it goes into the fridge to chill/settle for a couple days in preparation for Thanksgiving. Can't hardly wait. Tonight I'll probably move my Cream Stout from the primary fermenter to a secondary carboy to age a few more weeks. Should be tasty by Christmas.
    Old 11-23-2009, 05:04 PM   #1640
    scottbtdmb

My Tour Central Stats

I never thought I would say this, but I was a little disappointed in the St Bernadus Christmas Ale. From the aroma, I was expecting a nice fruity dark Belgian ale with some extreme spice notes. Instead, the ale was dominated by the malt, while the spices were subdued, and it had a bread-like aftertaste that I didn't care for. I wouldn't necessarily say that this ale was bad, but it is certainly not at the top of my list for Xmas Ales. Especially in the Belgian Dark category, Corsendonk Christmas Ale pawns St. Bernadus Christmas Ale!!!
    Old 11-23-2009, 05:29 PM   #1641
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I never thought I would say this, but I was a little disappointed in the St Bernadus Christmas Ale. From the aroma, I was expecting a nice fruity dark Belgian ale with some extreme spice notes. Instead, the ale was dominated by the malt, while the spices were subdued, and it had a bread-like aftertaste that I didn't care for. I wouldn't necessarily say that this ale was bad, but it is certainly not at the top of my list for Xmas Ales. Especially in the Belgian Dark category, Corsendonk Christmas Ale pawns St. Bernadus Christmas Ale!!!
    Hmmm....really wish I could find that Corsendonk, but I've never even seen it.

That's a little disappointing to hear, however, I know that I usually like bread-like aftertastes. I'm all about the Southern Tier Pumking.

I guess I'll wait and see. I'm probably going to save it for Christmas.

- Stephen Colbert
    Old 11-23-2009, 06:37 PM   #1642
    Foreverford05
    Let's go O's!

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrinkNoH2O View Post
    I wish my local store had St. Bernardus XMas Ale, still haven't gotten it in yet. I picked up a Delirium Noel but haven't tried it yet.

On the home brewing front my Amber Ale should be just about done bottle conditioning... I'll give it a taste tomorrow night. If all is well a case of it goes into the fridge to chill/settle for a couple days in preparation for Thanksgiving. Can't hardly wait. Tonight I'll probably move my Cream Stout from the primary fermenter to a secondary carboy to age a few more weeks. Should be tasty by Christmas.
    I wish my store had freakin anything!! Not too many popular crafts down Harrisonburg way, unless you hit up some local breweries. What are some of yal's favorite that might be National?
    Foreverford05 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-23-2009, 08:14 PM   #1643
    scottbtdmb

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Hmmm....really wish I could find that Corsendonk, but I've never even seen it.

That's a little disappointing to hear, however, I know that I usually like bread-like aftertastes. I'm all about the Southern Tier Pumking.

I guess I'll wait and see. I'm probably going to save it for Christmas.
    Yeah, you may still enjoy the Bernie. I think it is all about personal preference, but overall, it is still a very well crafted brew. Tonight I am going to drink a Anderson Valley Winter Solstice. I have heard good things about it and Anderson Valley usually puts out quality beer (i.e. Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout) so I am excited.

-Scott
    Old 11-23-2009, 09:27 PM   #1644
    scottbtdmb

My Tour Central Stats

Just finished that Anderson Valley and must say that it is a damn good Winter Warmer! Lots of Christmas spicy goodness and a fair amount of hops as well to appease the hop heads. I would wholeheartedly recommend it. Also, forgot to mention in my last post, but I picked up my Thanksgiving beer lineup today. Here is what I decided on.

Parents Dinner:
    Dinner - Rochefort 8
    Dessert - Anderson Valley Winter Solstice

Girlfriends Parent's Dinner
    Dinner - Ommegang Hennepin
    Dessert - Southern Tier Mokah

I think this is pretty solid. The Hennepin (saison) is supposedly the generic beer that is recommend for pairing with Thanksgiving dinner so I definitely wanted to see if it lives up to it's hype in that regard. The Anderson Valley is recommend in Don Russell's "Christmas Beer" book as being a nice compliment to pumpkin pie, which is always bountiful at my parent's Thanksgiving! The Rochefort 8 is recommended by the Bros over at Beeradvocate because the high alcohol content cuts nicely through the starches and fats that are abundant in a Thanksgiving Dinner. Finally, the Mokah was my experimental idea to pair with the second dessert since I am a coffee fan and have found regular mokah to go well with desserts. This is going to be fun indeed. Anyone else figure out their beer lineup for Thanksgiving?

-Scott

Last edited by scottbtdmb; 11-23-2009 at 09:29 PM.
    Old 11-24-2009, 01:00 AM   #1645
    Emanu

My Tour Central Stats

I had this excellent Belgian Stout, Podge Belgian Imperial Stout. look at that head. wonderfull...
    http://i49.tinypic.com/20ku45t.jpg
    http://i49.tinypic.com/28jjxcg.jpg
    Old 11-24-2009, 10:18 AM   #1646
    hoggdogg
    Resident Panda Expert

Shows Seen: 96

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

I don’t discriminate- I drink it all.
    I grew up in Oregon, so I appreciate a good microbrew… but I also have much love for my diluted friends in a can like Bud Light and Miller for an all weekend drinking excursion.
    hoggdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-24-2009, 10:56 AM   #1647
    dmaul1114

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah, the Podge Stout is pretty damn good.
    Old 11-24-2009, 11:22 AM   #1648
    breckbrew
    Not a wook

My Tour Central Stats

Found out the local Wegman's sells a pretty good selection of 6-packs (Hooray for legal loop-holes!). Picked up some Mad Elf and Bell's Kalamazoo Stout. I was looking for a chocolate stout, but they were out of Brooklyn and Fort Collins. They did have Young's Double Chocolate; I might grab that next time.
    breckbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-24-2009, 11:23 AM   #1649
    Beefsteak1138

Shows Seen: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Both excellent choices.
    Beefsteak1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 11-24-2009, 11:59 AM   #1650
    dMATTb
    Matt 007

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Beer of the Month clubs...

anyone done them? like/dislike? good ones/bad ones?
    dMATTb is offline   Reply With Quote