How I met Bruce Flohr - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 06-02-2006, 11:26 PM   #1
rick8285
Go Cubs Go!

Shows Seen: 70

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

How I met Bruce Flohr

So, I was reasonably wasted at tonight's show...at least in the beginning. Well I recognized Bruce Flohr, and to my embarassment, I confused him with Coran Capshaw. I was like "hey Coran!" He said, "I'm not Coran, I'm Bruce." and I said, "Oh shit, Bruce Flohr, with an 'H.'"

Anyways, the gist of the story goes a little something like this. He asked if it was my first show of the year, and I said no because I was in St. Louis the other night. But I explained that it was show #20 for me and I asked if it was gonna be a good show tonight...to which he could have responded with a nice cliche answer. But he simply patted his hand to his pocket, which held the setlist. Now previously when I walked up to my seat (which wasn't really our seat but killer spots right up by the sound guys), I had noticed that the only setlist visable to me was one in the middle of the section but it was turned over...very secretive.

I said that I had heard "Get In Line" soundchecked the other night in St. Louis, he kind of nodded along. Then he simply said, maybe a new song tonight, I don't know. Then right before "The Idea of You" was about to start, Bruce came over to me and said, "You've never heard this one before," gave me a casual nod and walked back to his spot.

He's a badass dude, unfortunately he dipped out right before the end of "Sister" and I didn't get a chance to ask him for a photo OP.

Needless to say, the show was incredible and I'll always have this fun memory. Can't wait for #40 tomorrow night!
rick8285 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-02-2006, 11:32 PM   #2
    lieinmygrave41
    Sunday comes afterwards

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Re: How I met Bruce Flohr

wow, thats a crazy story! hmm, nodding to Get In Line.....
    Old 06-02-2006, 11:33 PM   #3
    newscane
    It's all about the..

Shows Seen: 85

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

That's pretty good. How did you wind up running into him in the first place?
    my taping | my coverart | my shows
    newscane is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-02-2006, 11:37 PM   #4
    rick8285
    Go Cubs Go!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by newscane
    That's pretty good. How did you wind up running into him in the first place?
    He was chilling with the sound guys, and eventually I think the real Coran Capshaw came out...he's kind of gray-haired and real tan looking??? I'm pretty sure it was him. We had like awesome seats, just the very front of the back section just right of the Sound Guys...I believe it was section G, but we weren't in our real seats. Made friends with one of the usher girls...hugged her, she liked it.

I'm reserving my official decision, but out of 20 shows, this is at least Top 3 that I've seen...how can anyone look at that setlist and deny its awesomeness? Plus, Bartender and LIOG were absolutely ON FIRE.
    Old 06-02-2006, 11:39 PM   #5
    duane26
    Margaritas and DMB!!

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

Wow

THE SKY BOX WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE!!!
    duane26 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-03-2006, 07:46 AM   #6
    rick8285
    Go Cubs Go!

My Tour Central Stats

top...just cuz I loved this story
    Old 07-30-2006, 08:25 PM   #7
    rick8285
    Go Cubs Go!

My Tour Central Stats

by the way...what I thought was Get In Line ended up being Kill the King.

PS - I was extremely drunk when I heard what I thought was GIL
    Old 08-06-2006, 03:38 PM   #8
    QuakerMan

Shows Seen: 35

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rick8285
    So, I was reasonably wasted at tonight's show...at least in the beginning. Well I recognized Bruce Flohr, and to my embarassment, I confused him with Coran Capshaw. I was like "hey Coran!" He said, "I'm not Coran, I'm Bruce." and I said, "Oh shit, Bruce Flohr, with an 'H.'"

Anyways, the gist of the story goes a little something like this. He asked if it was my first show of the year, and I said no because I was in St. Louis the other night. But I explained that it was show #20 for me and I asked if it was gonna be a good show tonight...to which he could have responded with a nice cliche answer. But he simply patted his hand to his pocket, which held the setlist. Now previously when I walked up to my seat (which wasn't really our seat but killer spots right up by the sound guys), I had noticed that the only setlist visable to me was one in the middle of the section but it was turned over...very secretive.

I said that I had heard "Get In Line" soundchecked the other night in St. Louis, he kind of nodded along. Then he simply said, maybe a new song tonight, I don't know. Then right before "The Idea of You" was about to start, Bruce came over to me and said, "You've never heard this one before," gave me a casual nod and walked back to his spot.

He's a badass dude, unfortunately he dipped out right before the end of "Sister" and I didn't get a chance to ask him for a photo OP.

Needless to say, the show was incredible and I'll always have this fun memory. Can't wait for #40 tomorrow night!
    I can almost say that I have shared your experience. For last years Nissan Pavilion show, I was sitting in the first row of sec 103, right behind the orchestra 3 sec and I saw this guy that I recognized from both the Gorge and Stand Up bonus DVD's but I didn't know his name. I wanted to get his attention to talk to him, but I didn't even know what name to call him, besides it was in the middle of the show and I was fu%kin' jammin'. It wasn't until I watched the Dave Matthews episode of VH1's DRIVEN that I saw that he was actually Bruce Flohr. At that point, I actually kind of kicked myself for not talking to him. I get the feeling, that he is a really cool guy and would talk to anybody, without any such attitude!

Christian Seith
    www.MySpace.com/ChristianSeithMusic
    QuakerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-30-2009, 12:08 PM   #9
    dmbgalen

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Don't know how I came across this thread, but here's a story.

It's July 2006 me and some friends at the Fenway Park shows. After the first night we roam Boston and walk by the Ritz. Dave is in the bar which can be seen through the windows. We wave and he waves back. We tried to get in but it was clear we weren't staying there so we couldn't get closer.

Next night we come back and go to that bar, knowing that Dave is staying there. We get a table as if we're eating and decide to stick it out.

An hour later a guy comes up to us and starts making small talk asking how it's going and such. He even starts eating our calamari without asking. Anyway, we say we went to the concert, asks if we liked it, how it was, if we're big fans, etc. He walks away, comes back and says, "I tell you what. Dave and the band left right after the show. They're probably home by now [if you remember the show was the last of the first half before their 3 week break], but I'm Bruce Flohr I signed them way back when. I'm going to give you my card. Call me the next show you go to we will get you backstage and everything. Also send me your address I'm going to send you all the Live Trax and some material from every other artist Redlight manages. In exchange, I need your table because I have got some beautiful women to entertain."

We got up from the table about as fast as humanly possible.

And yes he followed through on everything.

And similar to the previous person's story, I ran into him in Camden at 8.8.07 and asked about the show. And he said you don't even know what you're about to experience.

My first and probably only Sweet Up and Down.
    6.19.05/12.10.05/7.7.06/7.8.06/7.28.06/7.29.06/4.22.07/7.7.07/8.4.07/8.5.07/8.8.07/9.9.07/11.13.07/11.14.07/6.13.08/6.20.08/6.25.08/5.2.09/5.30.09/6.1.09/6.6.09/10.3.09/7.17.10/7.8.11/7.9.11/6.13.12/12.1.12/5.17.13/5.18.13/7.5.13/7.6.13/8.23.13/5.16.14/5.17.14/7.4.14/5.16.15/7.15.15/8.29.15/6.25.16/6.6.17/6.14.18/7.17.18
    dmbgalen is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2010, 10:41 AM   #10
    seanpathickey

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

At the Dave & Tim shows in Vegas this past year, a friend and I were waiting behind the venue after the show in hopes of meeting Dave & Tim or getting some autographs. We couldn't get within 50 feet of Daves van because of security but whenever Daves van was leaving Bruce Flohr picked us and about 5 others up and we followed Daves van to his hotel in Vegas. I had no idea who Bruce was so I was just going along for the ride. When we got to the hotel Dave was getting out of his van and Bruce allowed us to walk in the hotel with Dave and his wife. I thought we were going to meet and hangout with Dave for a night after Bruce called it the "Official Dave Matthews After Party" but oh well. Although I never met Dave, Bruce got us within a couple feet which was awesome!
    seanpathickey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2010, 03:56 PM   #11
    somad

Shows Seen: 143

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by seanpathickey View Post
    At the Dave & Tim shows in Vegas this past year, a friend and I were waiting behind the venue after the show in hopes of meeting Dave & Tim or getting some autographs. We couldn't get within 50 feet of Daves van because of security but whenever Daves van was leaving Bruce Flohr picked us and about 5 others up and we followed Daves van to his hotel in Vegas. I had no idea who Bruce was so I was just going along for the ride. When we got to the hotel Dave was getting out of his van and Bruce allowed us to walk in the hotel with Dave and his wife. I thought we were going to meet and hangout with Dave for a night after Bruce called it the "Official Dave Matthews After Party" but oh well. Although I never met Dave, Bruce got us within a couple feet which was awesome!
    True story: Don't as how, but my friend and I got invited to that afterparty, and the first person I met as I walked into the room was a Bruce. He introduced himself, "Hi, I'm Bruce. Would you like a glass of wine?"

Needless to say the next 2.5 hours were probably the best memories I'll ever have of my DMB life!! My friend and I had the pleasure of mingling with about 15 "friends and family" and it was all you can imagine it would be!

Life is Short But Sweet for Certain
    somad is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-11-2010, 04:25 PM   #12
    420th jimi
    West Coast LoVE!

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by somad View Post
    True story: Don't as how, but my friend and I got invited to that afterparty, and the first person I met as I walked into the room was a Bruce. He introduced himself, "Hi, I'm Bruce. Would you like a glass of wine?"

Needless to say the next 2.5 hours were probably the best memories I'll ever have of my DMB life!! My friend and I had the pleasure of mingling with about 15 "friends and family" and it was all you can imagine it would be!

Awesome story! Miss you.

Chula LoVE!
    Old 06-11-2010, 05:23 PM   #13
    savage1185
    scavage

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

yeah, fuckin bruce man.
    savage1185 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-18-2010, 02:27 PM   #14
    coyn113
    Keep Pushin'

Shows Seen: 92

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

i cant believe this thread...

last night i walked up to bruce, mistook him for coran just like the kid who started this thread did... spoke to him about the show.. asked for a setlist and he gave it to me about half way through the show
    he was a cool fuckin guy and was with some smokeshow about half his age named tanya...
    he also basically confirmed a fall tour.. when i asked if we would see him in the fall he shook his head yep...
    Old 07-18-2010, 06:43 PM   #15
    420th jimi
    West Coast LoVE!

Shows Seen: 75

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Awesome. Glad you got the chance to meet him. I hear he is quite the guy.
    Old 07-18-2010, 07:10 PM   #16
    Randyregan87

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

I met him outside of Beacon last year before the show, he was real nice.
    Old 09-19-2010, 05:06 PM   #17
    ryguy637
    Ryan

Shows Seen: 69

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Good story
    ryguy637 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-19-2010, 09:34 PM   #18
    coolhotwaves
    is classic