***Official Ants Photography Thread*** - Page 103 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 03-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #3061
soprano15104
Halloweenhead

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ***Official Ants Photography Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyande View Post
I LOVE photographic books. Both educational books and collections of work. Find photographers you really like and devour everything they've done, you'll learn a lot just by looking at images.

Two books I really liked about composition, which I consider most people's main obstacle to producing great work are:
The Photographer's Eye - Michael Freeman
Within the Frame - David duChemin

A book I really like on exposure is:
Perfect Exposure - Michael Freeman

Chris Orwig has also put out some books I thoroughly enjoy.

An excellent source for lighting information (although it reads like a textbook and isn't "fun"):
Light Science & Magic - Hunter, Biver, and Fuqua

Those books will probably be the tip of the iceberg if you read them. Nearly every book I've read has mentioned something else I felt I had to read after...
Thanks for you help! I'm reading Within the Frame right now. It has completely changed the way I shoot. I definitely focus more on what I want in the frame. Before, I would just shoot and go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny003 View Post
What do you guys think of this Thirty Six app?

http://www.tuaw.com/2013/02/05/thirt...ographer-again

I think it's kind of neat if you just want to practice developing patience, but it seems more like a training tool than something practical. I like the concept though.
Looks really interesting. Have you had a chance to check it out?
soprano15104 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #3062
    Benny003

Shows Seen: 60

DMB Hub Stubs: 23

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by soprano15104 View Post
    Thanks for you help! I'm reading Within the Frame right now. It has completely changed the way I shoot. I definitely focus more on what I want in the frame. Before, I would just shoot and go.

Looks really interesting. Have you had a chance to check it out?
    Haven't tried it, probably won't. Just thought it was interesting for those of you who like to work on training yourself to be more selective.
    Benny003 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-04-2013, 08:31 AM   #3063
    cbotnyse

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

whats up guys. I have some more pics to share. These could be the best I've ever taken. They are of Great Grey Owl found up in Wisconsin. It has stirred the debate between birders and photographers about the ethics of feeding wildlife. Its an interesting debate, anyway please enjoy this beautiful creature.

http://chicagophotoshop.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=8258
    cbotnyse is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #3064
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Very nice photos. Not sure what to make of the feeding debate. I can understand both sides to it. However, I'll pose my response from the perspective of sports photography. The thrill of a great action photo is that it's something you can't recreate. You have to be at the right place at the right time. It's something completely out of the photographer's hands, but it's something all sports photographers hope will happen every time they go out to shoot. The "luck" aspect of the photo is part of what makes a great photo (a small part, not a major part). Sports photographers go to an event hoping something great will happen and that they will be in a great position to capture the moment. They use their skill and knowledge of the sport or the players to "predict" what will happen at any given moment and they prepare for that anticipated moment accordingly. When it doesn't happen or if it does, but the photographer missed the shot or was in the wrong position, he has to simply shrug it off and hope to make up for it next time or learn from his mistakes to improve for the next opportunity. It's the most frustrating part of sports photography because there are no do-overs and no second chances. The moment happens in the blink of an eye and either you got it or you didn't.

I imagine that's a lot like what wildlife photographers do as well from my naive perspective on wildlife photography. So looking at it from that perspective makes me kind of think that feeding wildlife so a photographer can get a good photo is sort of like staging a great play in a sport to make a good photo. For example, it would be like artificially setting up a situation where a baseball runner will plow into a catcher just so you can get a good photo of it. The end result is a fine photo, but it was staged. The difference, of course, is that the participant in the wildlife example (i.e. the animal) doesn't know the difference whether it's staged or not and so one could make the argument that it's still a "naturally" occurring event. The animal is not behaving any differently if the feeding was a man-made event or not. However, two things (potentially) bother me about that situation:

1. It depends on how the photo is being presented. If the photographer tells everyone that the photo was essentially staged because they were feeding the animal, then that's fine. It's not deceiving the viewer in that case if the photographer is up front about it. This really would only apply to non-commercial photography. I mean if this is part of some ad campaign, then I would assume any and all artificiality was used in the making of the photo. However, if the photographer is trying to represent reality, then they need to be honest about how it was created.

2. Feeding wildlife to get a good photo is basically just kind of lazy to me. If part of what makes wildlife photography exciting is the thrill of getting a rare photo, then feeding an animal to make the rare occurrence happen is just kind of dumb to me. I'm sure the people who disagree with that will say that the hard/rare part was finding the animal in the first place and they are simply taking advantage of an opportunity or using their knowledge of that animal to take advantage of the opportunity. To me it's just sort of exploiting the animal. I'd be much more impressed if the photographer had been watching the animal for 8 hours or whatever and was there at the time and place where the animal was eating naturally. I mean put it this way, let's say a sports photographer was showing off all these amazing sports photos, but then disclosed that all of them had been created as part of shooting a movie and were staged, would you be as impressed compared to if they had happened during live action games/events? If all someone cares about is seeing interesting photos and doesn't care how they were made, then I understand they probably don't care about feeding an animal to get photos. However, part of what really impresses me in any documentation-type photo is thinking about how the photographer was able to capture a great moment in real time. What was their thought process? What put them in that specific position with that specific lens at that specific moment? It impresses me when a photographer uses their skill and knowledge to "predict" what will happen next. Feeding an animal to get a shot is not predicting anything. It's like hitting a ball off a tee and saying you made a great hit because you knew how to get to the ball field and how to swing a bat. Sure you hit the ball nice and hard, but it really doesn't impress me that much. Hit a home run off a live pitcher and then you have my attention. Hopefully that analogy makes sense.

In any case, I don't follow wildlife photography much at all, so I won't lose any sleep over that debate.

Last edited by Benny003; 03-04-2013 at 03:14 PM.
    Old 03-04-2013, 03:56 PM   #3065
    cbotnyse

My Tour Central Stats

Thanks Benny, I really appreciate the response. I am torn on the debate. My gut agrees wholeheartedly with you. But when you are out in the field and you see a rare animal, in that moment in time, you could care less how you actually capture that great shot. For me, if you get a rare animal in the wild, and you're not at a zoo, then it counts. That means you put in all the research and traveled to get there. Not to mention the patience it takes just to get a shot, staged or not. For example, with this owl, once it was fed, it didn't move for 3 hours. You simply have to stand there, finger on the trigger, waiting for him to make his next move. I guess when it comes to birds of prey, there's almost always someone there willing to feed him. Personally I wouldn't, but if someone is there doing it, I'll be all over the shot if it presents itself that way.

If you don't mind, I'd like to link your response to a guy on my forum. He feels very strongly about it (he's all for feeding wild animals). Please feel free to sign up and join the conversion, and we'd love to have one of the best sports photographers around join us!
    Old 03-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #3066
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

I totally get it. I don't have any moral objection to it (although if it gets to a point where the animal starts salivating at the sight of a bunch of photographers because it knows it's going to get fed, then I think something has gone wrong). My big thing is simply letting the viewer know it was staged and that the animal was being fed by the photographer(s). Maybe that's not discussed much in wildlife photography (or maybe it is), but in sports photography or any other editorial photography the big thing is you can't deceive the viewer. You have to disclose everything in the photo that may not be as it would seem to the viewer. Is artistic license or photographic integrity discussed much in wildlife photography?

Also, do people do this sort of thing with bears/lions/etc. too or is it just with birds? If they only do it with birds, then it really is lazy. What I mean is that if they only doing it with non-dangerous animals, then it would seem like they are only doing it when it's the easy option or when it's convenient. If you have to suck it up and wait it out with dangerous animals, why not suck it up and wait it out with non-dangerous animals? Let me know if I'm totally off base though. I don't shoot wildlife at all, so I'm not sure of the nuances involved with that photo category.
    Old 03-05-2013, 08:00 AM   #3067
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

New Nikon compact camera with an APS-C (DX) sensor:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_camera.html

I so wanted this to be a competitor with the Fuji X100s, but instead Nikon decided to use a 28mm equivalent lens with a maximum aperture of only f/2.8. Plus, the styling is incredibly boring. For $1100 it is definitely not what I hoped for. If they had made it with the styling of one of their old film cameras or something and used a lens with an aperture of at least f/1.8, then this thing would have been pretty awesome. I guess I'll just have to get the Fuji X100s for a fun walk-around camera.
    Old 03-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #3068
    cbotnyse

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I totally get it. I don't have any moral objection to it (although if it gets to a point where the animal starts salivating at the sight of a bunch of photographers because it knows it's going to get fed, then I think something has gone wrong). My big thing is simply letting the viewer know it was staged and that the animal was being fed by the photographer(s). Maybe that's not discussed much in wildlife photography (or maybe it is), but in sports photography or any other editorial photography the big thing is you can't deceive the viewer. You have to disclose everything in the photo that may not be as it would seem to the viewer. Is artistic license or photographic integrity discussed much in wildlife photography?

Also, do people do this sort of thing with bears/lions/etc. too or is it just with birds? If they only do it with birds, then it really is lazy. What I mean is that if they only doing it with non-dangerous animals, then it would seem like they are only doing it when it's the easy option or when it's convenient. If you have to suck it up and wait it out with dangerous animals, why not suck it up and wait it out with non-dangerous animals? Let me know if I'm totally off base though. I don't shoot wildlife at all, so I'm not sure of the nuances involved with that photo category.
    I think you are on base. But I think if its safe to feed the animals, safe for both the shooter and animal, I think its accepted, specifically for birds of prey. The shot that I always want to get is the bird in flight, not necessarily feeding. That takes a lot of skill and patience regardless if it was fed or not. But I do admit its hard to argue its not lazy to feed them.

I guess the opinion of the viewer really matters too. If you get a great action shot of a feeding, I would bet the viewer would like this pic just as well if the prey was placed there or if it wasn't. its still a rare animal feeding out in the wild either way.

I think the same could be applied to sports photography too. Like if you had a perfectly timed shot of a star hitting a homerun at an all star home run contest. You know its coming, but you still need the right settings and timing to pull off a great shot.
    Old 03-05-2013, 09:11 AM   #3069
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cbotnyse View Post
    I think you are on base. But I think if its safe to feed the animals, safe for both the shooter and animal, I think its accepted, specifically for birds of prey. The shot that I always want to get is the bird in flight, not necessarily feeding. That takes a lot of skill and patience regardless if it was fed or not. But I do admit its hard to argue its not lazy to feed them.

I guess the opinion of the viewer really matters too. If you get a great action shot of a feeding, I would bet the viewer would like this pic just as well if the prey was placed there or if it wasn't. its still a rare animal feeding out in the wild either way.

I think the same could be applied to sports photography too. Like if you had a perfectly timed shot of a star hitting a homerun at an all star home run contest. You know its coming, but you still need the right settings and timing to pull off a great shot.
    Like I said, I don't really have a problem with feeding them. My point was mainly that the photographer should disclose to the viewer if the animal was being fed. That way it's up to the viewer to decide if they are impressed with the photo or not, but at least the viewer has a choice. For me personally I wouldn't be as impressed if the animal was being fed, but I understand some viewers simply don't care and they just want to see photos of the animal.

Feed the animal or not, it doesn't matter to me, but at least disclose to the viewer the context of the situation. I mean people make great animal photos at the zoo and they can still be great photos despite being at a zoo, but don't let the viewer believe they were shot out in some African jungle when they were really shot at the local zoo. So I'm not saying a "staged" shot is a bad shot by any means, but at least disclose that information to the viewer so they can judge it however they see fit. Some will care and some won't, but at least they are informed. It's just a courtesy to the viewer in my opinion.
    Old 03-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #3070
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Let me know what you think about this comparison:

Completely ignoring logistics, would you find it acceptable to release a zebra out in the open in Africa so you could see a lion chase it and take it down to get good photos?

If it is acceptable, I'm guessing the only reason it's not done is because it's a) dangerous, b) costly to do, or c) both. In any of those cases it simply means it's done in bird photography because it's not costly and not dangerous, which is means it's being done out of convenience, which is the same as being lazy.

If it's not acceptable to release a zebra in the open to watch a lion take it down in order to get good photos, then why not? Ignoring logistics, how is it different than feeding a bird?

In either case, some people will agree and some people will disagree. I don't really care which, but at least they should have a choice in being able to decide and the only way to do that is to disclose that information to the viewer.

Last edited by Benny003; 03-05-2013 at 09:22 AM.
    Old 03-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #3071
    cbotnyse

My Tour Central Stats

I guess it would not be ay different. I think the only reason that might not be done is because of laws. As far as I know, you can't feed a bear (for example) but you can feed an eagle, legally. But your point of no matter what, let the viewer know exactly what context he is seeing is well taken. I agree with that.
    Old 03-05-2013, 11:40 AM   #3072
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah, I figured there are probably laws against feeding lions and other large predators.
    Old 03-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #3073
    mattyande

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Glad to hear you like the book... I tell this to people all the time, but making sure you are creating a strong composition with every image will make your photography take a leap you never imagined possible.

There are things that are pleasing to the visual part of our brains that draw us in. Using knowledge of this to draw a viewer in or deliberately going against something pleasing will have a profound impact on all people. We are drawn to pleasing compositions, and intentional violations of those same compositions will generate strong feelings.

I just found some film scans from about 18 months ago and put them up on my blog.

These are my favorite:
    http://blog.matthewandersonphotograp...l-photography/

A better version of the same images:
    http://www.matthewandersonphotograph...der/index.html

And a complimentary set of non-architectural images:
    http://mattyande.wordpress.com/2013/...t-photography/
    Old 03-08-2013, 02:16 PM   #3074
    mattyande

My Tour Central Stats

Related to the wildlife discussion, I'm reading White Wolf by Jim Brandenburg right now. An amazing wildlife photography book with ridiculous images and a very well-written story. I'd suggest it to any photography fan.

Working for National Geographic for a very long time, Jim is an expert at getting close to animals naturally. It makes is imagery spectacular, because he had to spend months letting the animals get used to him to get the work.

If you understand lens perspective, some of the wide angle shots in the book will blow your mind. Just looking at the photo, you'll realize he had to be within FEET of the animal to get that view.

http://www.amazon.com/White-Wolf-Jim.../dp/1559710934

He's a MN man too, Ben!
    Old 03-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #3075
    mattyande

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    New Nikon compact camera with an APS-C (DX) sensor:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...al_camera.html

I so wanted this to be a competitor with the Fuji X100s, but instead Nikon decided to use a 28mm equivalent lens with a maximum aperture of only f/2.8. Plus, the styling is incredibly boring. For $1100 it is definitely not what I hoped for. If they had made it with the styling of one of their old film cameras or something and used a lens with an aperture of at least f/1.8, then this thing would have been pretty awesome. I guess I'll just have to get the Fuji X100s for a fun walk-around camera.
    I like that the market is acknowledging the need for something like this in the world and it's starting to cause some competition amongst manufacturers. Hopefully it will drive the cost down and quality up for this walk-around rangefinder type of camera. It's something I'm very interested in, and I can't wait to get my hands on an X100S.
    Old 03-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #3076
    AJF_41

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

pano i took this week.
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg telluride_small.jpg (81.5 KB, 21 views)

growing vinyl collection: https://www.discogs.com/user/AJF_41/collection/covers
    AJF_41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-11-2013, 10:41 PM   #3077
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

If you're bored, I shot a bunch of sunset/sunrise photos when I was in Mexico 2 weeks ago if you want to take a look.

http://benckphotos.com/gallery/puert...a_mexico_2013/

Note that they are all virtually uncropped photos taken from my D800. So the full resolution of each of them is about 7300 x 4900. I plan on making some large 20+ inch prints eventually of a couple of them. Maybe I'll try another metal print too.

I didn't want to haul my DSLR everywhere, so I used my iPhone to take instagrams of some of the other things I saw while I was there. You can see those here:

http://instagram.com/ben_c_krause
    Old 03-12-2013, 05:03 PM   #3078
    cbotnyse

My Tour Central Stats

excellent Mexico shots. PV is one of my favorite places to visit. That's where I saw a humpback whale in the wild, up close and personal. I cant wait to go back.
    Old 03-12-2013, 09:23 PM   #3079
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah, the day we walked on the boardwalk there were like 3 whales maybe 200 yards off the beach leaping into the air and splashing all over the place. That was pretty neat.
    Old 03-13-2013, 02:35 PM   #3080
    jek3295

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Are any of those beach shots HDR?
    jek3295 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-13-2013, 06:36 PM   #3081
    cbotnyse

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah, the day we walked on the boardwalk there were like 3 whales maybe 200 yards off the beach leaping into the air and splashing all over the place. That was pretty neat.
    full breach?? any pics of that?? I just got the tails, but they were really close to us. http://chicagophotoshop.com/forums/s...04&postcount=1
    Old 03-13-2013, 06:52 PM   #3082
    soprano15104
    Halloweenhead

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

So I found a few 5D MII cameras on craigslist for decent prices. What are your thoughts on buying used gear?
    soprano15104 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-13-2013, 08:54 PM   #3083
    coolhotwaves
    is classic

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    If you're bored, I shot a bunch of sunset/sunrise photos when I was in Mexico 2 weeks ago if you want to take a look.

Note that they are all virtually uncropped photos taken from my D800. So the full resolution of each of them is about 7300 x 4900. I plan on making some large 20+ inch prints eventually of a couple of them. Maybe I'll try another metal print too.

I didn't want to haul my DSLR everywhere, so I used my iPhone to take instagrams of some of the other things I saw while I was there. You can see those here:

http://instagram.com/ben_c_krause
    My wife and I were just talking the other day about how Puerto Vallarta had amazing sunsets, and we've both lived in hawaii so we're no strangers to that sort of thing. Really, just top notch every night we were there.
    coolhotwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-15-2013, 03:13 PM   #3084
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jek3295 View Post
    Are any of those beach shots HDR?
    Yeah, most of them. Not all of them though. The combination of the D800 and Lightroom 4 is borderline pure magic. I can make photos that look like HDR photos (by that I mean color and detail in the bright light and also the shadows of the photo, I don't mean the "overcooked" look) out of a single exposure because of how much information the D800 RAW files capture and how well Lightroom 4 is able to pull the details out of the shadows.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cbotnyse View Post
    full breach?? any pics of that?? I just got the tails, but they were really close to us. http://chicagophotoshop.com/forums/s...04&postcount=1
    All I had on me was my phone, so no photos. I think my friends may have got some video of it, but it was definitely full breach. There were 2 adults and a baby I think.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolhotwaves View Post
    My wife and I were just talking the other day about how Puerto Vallarta had amazing sunsets, and we've both lived in hawaii so we're no strangers to that sort of thing. Really, just top notch every night we were there.
    Yeah, Puerto Vallarta has paradise-like weather. It's just perfect every day with the breeze coming off the ocean.
    Old 03-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #3085
    Elliott Evans
    Custom User Title

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

I am legally blind. One eye doesn't work at all. The other has only about 5%. Still, this little Sony digital camera has allowed me to capture some nice little slices of my world.

Let's see if these work for y'all:

https://photos-6.dropbox.com/t/0/AAC...?size=1024x768
    https://photos-4.dropbox.com/t/0/AAB...?size=1024x768
    https://photos-6.dropbox.com/t/0/AAB...?size=1024x768
    https://photos-3.dropbox.com/t/0/AAD...?size=1024x768
    https://photos-2.dropbox.com/t/0/AAD...?size=1024x768
    Elliott Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-16-2013, 03:31 PM   #3086
    Elliott Evans
    Custom User Title

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Some great bird shots.
    Old 03-16-2013, 03:37 PM   #3087
    Benny003

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elliott Evans View Post
    I am legally blind. One eye doesn't work at all. The other has only about 5%. Still, this little Sony digital camera has allowed me to capture some nice little slices of my world.

Let's see if these work for y'all:

https://photos-6.dropbox.com/t/0/AAC...?size=1024x768
    https://photos-4.dropbox.com/t/0/AAB...?size=1024x768
    https://photos-6.dropbox.com/t/0/AAB...?size=1024x768
    https://photos-3.dropbox.com/t/0/AAD...?size=1024x768
    https://photos-2.dropbox.com/t/0/AAD...?size=1024x768
    Links don't work.
    Old 03-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #3088
    Elliott Evans
    Custom User Title

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Links don't work.
    Here's one:

http://www.postimg.com/108000/3-litt...113-107146.jpg
    Old 03-21-2013, 04:52 AM   #3089
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

I'm thinking of heading down to DC for the cherry blossoms in two weeks to take some shots. Either 10 hour car ride + gas for 1 hour flight.
    Old 03-22-2013, 07:06 AM   #3090
    mattyande

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    So I found a few 5D MII cameras on craigslist for decent prices. What are your thoughts on buying used gear?
    I think used gear is great, assuming you can check it out and make sure everything is working well.

Used camera bodies are basically like computers, they're obsolete in only a few years, so the price should reflect that. As long as it functions properly, even older DSLR's will create great imagery if you know how to use it. It will just be a little behind in the technologys' capabilities. Used glass retains much more of its value, as it will serve the same function essentially forever if you take care of it.

Tags
    photography