Superbowl XLII - Page 4 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > nDMBc Discussion > The Tailgate

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
View Poll Results: Who wins Superbowl XLII?
New England Patriots 110 55.00%
New York Giants 90 45.00%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-2008, 12:24 AM   #91
TwoStep2888

Shows Seen: 7

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Superbowl XLII

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC41 View Post
What's really interesting is that 5 out of the 12 playoff teams this year were in the bottom 10 in salary, while only 3 out of the 12 were in the top 10.
That very clearly proves that big market/$$$ doesn't necessarily mean success, though the Patriots ($8.9m over) might disagree.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 01-21-2008, 12:45 AM   #92
    smeritt

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TwoStep2888 View Post
    Yeah, pretty much. While one can buy a World Series Title in the MLB, things are very different in the NFL, thanks in part to the salary cap system.
    I thought we have already established you can't buy championships in any sport?
    University of Arizona

smeritt is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-21-2008, 12:51 AM   #93
    TwoStep2888

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smeritt View Post
    I thought we have already established you can't buy championships in any sport?
    Have you ever heard of the New York Yankees? What about the Boston Red Sox?
    Old 01-21-2008, 12:55 AM   #94
    smeritt

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 6

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TwoStep2888 View Post
    Have you ever heard of the New York Yankees? What about the Boston Red Sox?
    Please tell me your joking, first of all. Since 2000 when the Yankees spending started how many championships have they won? And look at the Red Sox roster, thats just good young players mixed with veteran talent.....
    University of Arizona

smeritt is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-21-2008, 01:58 AM   #95
    rickyh24
    GOAT

Shows Seen: 76

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

the game will not be as close as this poll
    rickyh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-21-2008, 03:40 AM   #96
    swampdonkey
    Beer Me!

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

I would love to see the Giants win, but I picked Pats. I'm trying not to hold a grude against the giants for knocking the pack out of it....

Heehaw
    Myspace
    swampdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-21-2008, 04:37 AM   #97
    DMBZeppelin
    OOH-WEE

Shows Seen: 87

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

I don't see how the Giants could pull this off, we all know AFC>>>NFC. I'm also aware the Giants played the Pats close in the regular season. Look at the Texans who beat the eventual Super Bowl champs the Colts last year. An obviously inferior team, but that happens in the regular season. Not every game will be a blow out.

You also have to consider Eli just looked like the better QB in the cold on Sunday. But teams like the Packers, and Pats who run spread offenses. With routes that require good route running. They'll only benefit from being indoors where they can run their entire game plan.

The Patriots have the best offense of all time, with a decent defense. The Giants will have to play our of their minds to beat them. Any given Sunday any team can win, but realistically the Giants will have a hard time doing this. Giving Belichick two weeks to prepare for a team? Not in the Giants favor.

Tour 2023: Deer Creek [6/30] [7/01]

Last edited by DMBZeppelin; 01-21-2008 at 04:38 AM.
    DMBZeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-21-2008, 05:57 AM   #98
    seekupig

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

a couple of things.....

- the Pats are a 14 point favorite in the opening line (i think that's high).

- the two week wait is unnecessary. i don't know if i'll be able to watch ESPN until the Super Bowl is over..... it's overkill.
    seekupig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-21-2008, 08:11 AM   #99
    superfan

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMBZeppelin View Post
    I don't see how the Giants could pull this off, we all know AFC>>>NFC. I'm also aware the Giants played the Pats close in the regular season. Look at the Texans who beat the eventual Super Bowl champs the Colts last year. An obviously inferior team, but that happens in the regular season. Not every game will be a blow out.

You also have to consider Eli just looked like the better QB in the cold on Sunday. But teams like the Packers, and Pats who run spread offenses. With routes that require good route running. They'll only benefit from being indoors where they can run their entire game plan.

The Patriots have the best offense of all time, with a decent defense. The Giants will have to play our of their minds to beat them. Any given Sunday any team can win, but realistically the Giants will have a hard time doing this. Giving Belichick two weeks to prepare for a team? Not in the Giants favor.
    statiscally the Pats offense is the greatest of all-time, but I beg to differ. i think the '98 vikes offense was a hair better.
    superfan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-21-2008, 08:18 AM   #100
    jmudmbphan
    27 WS + 14 NATL TITLES

Shows Seen: 30

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DMB0715 View Post
    Are you what I am? A both diehard Yankees and Patriots fan? Have I found another?!
    not in a million years. go gmen
    because they are clearly better.......? How's that for a reason? They also played IN New York, on a cold windy night. You put Elisha in a no-elements warm climate and he's fucked. No way in high holy fuck is New England going to lose the Super Bowl. It's not going to happen.
    jmudmbphan is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-21-2008, 08:22 AM   #101
    jmudmbphan
    27 WS + 14 NATL TITLES

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by william.hosking View Post
    If I follow a player's career and like him, I always root for the team said player is a part of. That's called logic. The only rule is if said player is a part of a team that I hate. Then I, by rule, can't root for him until he is no longer part of that team.

be that as it may..

despite your manlove for tom brady, if new england was 5-11 and missing the playoffs for the 4th straight season, somehow I doubt your son would be wearing a pat's jersey.........
    because they are clearly better.......? How's that for a reason? They also played IN New York, on a cold windy night. You put Elisha in a no-elements warm climate and he's fucked. No way in high holy fuck is New England going to lose the Super Bowl. It's not going to happen.
    Old 01-21-2008, 08:23 AM   #102
    rickyh24
    GOAT

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by seekupig View Post
    a couple of things.....

- the Pats are a 14 point favorite in the opening line (i think that's high).
    the weather is going to be perfect, I expected the spread to be exactly what it is. The Pats are going to come out firing the Giants definitely are going to have their hands full.
    Old 01-21-2008, 08:25 AM   #103
    superfan

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmudmbphan View Post
    be that as it may..

despite your manlove for tom brady, if new england was 5-11 and missing the playoffs for the 4th straight season, somehow I doubt your son would be wearing a pat's jersey.........
    I agree........... All were saying is that you are most likely a bandwagon fan. I am far from being one. I offered a guy at my work a 100 bucks just to switch shifts so I could watch the Vikes game this year on the last week of the season, and I knew they had no chance of making the playoffs after they blew it the week before against the Redskins. I stick with my team whether they are 0-16, or 16-0, that is the type of fan that I am, it is rare in today's day and age, which sucks.
    Old 01-21-2008, 08:27 AM   #104
    william.hosking

Shows Seen: 31

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickyh24 View Post
    the weather is going to be perfect, I expected the spread to be exactly what it is. The Pats are going to come out firing the Giants definitely are going to have their hands full.
    Good luck, Giants secondary!

Twitter
    Facebook
    william.hosking is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-21-2008, 08:33 AM   #105
    william.hosking

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by superfan View Post
    I agree........... All were saying is that you are most likely a bandwagon fan. I am far from being one. I offered a guy at my work a 100 bucks just to switch shifts so I could watch the Vikes game this year on the last week of the season, and I knew they had no chance of making the playoffs after they blew it the week before against the Redskins. I stick with my team whether they are 0-16, or 16-0, that is the type of fan that I am, it is rare in today's day and age, which sucks.
    Here's the deal: I could't give a shit less if you think I am a bandwagon fan or not. If you read my posts earlier, I stated why I am a fan of the Pats. I don't live in Boston, or even the general area. I have been a fan of Tom Brady since he was at Michigan. That doesn't make me a Pats "fanatic", but I do root for them to win, regardless of their record. For the record I am a lifelong Lions fan, so you can take your "I am the greatest fan ever" propaganda and shove it. It's ridiculous that someone can't root for a team or player without having to take shit for doing so, for whatever reason. If thinking I am a "bandwagon" fan gets you through your bitterly cold life in Minnesota, that's fine with me. Me, on the other hand, I will be rooting for New England to win on February 3rd, and as long as Tom Brady is their quarterback. And I will always root for the Lions, no matter how shitty they no doubt will be for the rest of my life, and probably my son's life.

Twitter
    Facebook
    Old 01-21-2008, 08:34 AM   #106
    jmudmbphan
    27 WS + 14 NATL TITLES

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Here's the deal: I could't give a shit less if you think I am a bandwagon fan or not. If you read my posts earlier, I stated why I am a fan of the Pats. I don't live in Boston, or even the general area. I have been a fan of Tom Brady since he was at Michigan. That doesn't make me a Pats "fanatic", but I do root for them to win, regardless of their record. For the record I am a lifelong Lions fan, so you can take your "I am the greatest fan ever" propaganda and shove it. It's ridiculous that someone can't root for a team or player without having to take shit for doing so, for whatever reason. If thinking I am a "bandwagon" fan gets you through your bitterly cold life in Minnesota, that's fine with me. Me, on the other hand, I will be rooting for New England to win on February 3rd, and as long as Tom Brady is their quarterback. And I will always root for the Lions, no matter how shitty they no doubt will be for the rest of my life, and probably my son's life.
    If you are a lifelong Lions fan..and seemingly from the area, then why is your son wearing a pats jersey?

It would make sense that lifelong fanhood would trump manlove..but I guess when the receipient of said manlove is on the best team ever, bandwagonness takes over.

Last edited by jmudmbphan; 01-21-2008 at 08:36 AM.
    Old 01-21-2008, 08:42 AM   #107
    william.hosking

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    If you are a lifelong Lions fan..and seemingly from the area, then why is your son wearing a pats jersey?

It would make sense that lifelong fanhood would trump manlove..but I guess when the receipient of said manlove is on the best team ever, bandwagonness takes over.
    So I am not allowed to be a lifelong fan of a player, just a team? If I like a certain player it's called "manlove" now, huh? Your argument makes absolutely no sense. I am a fan of Tom Brady, not necessarily the Patriots. The reason he's wearing a Brady jersey is because of what I just stated, plus the fact that they are playing football in January and the Lions are not. If the Lions were, he would have had on his Roy Williams jersey. Also, before responding to posts, please make sure you know what the fuck you're talking about, because I am embarrassed for you

Twitter
    Facebook
    Old 01-21-2008, 09:08 AM   #108
    rickyh24
    GOAT

My Tour Central Stats

I'm a Red Sox Fan but I will always support whatever team Griffey Jr. plays for.

I don't see anything wrong with having favorite players that are not on the team you openly support.
    Old 01-21-2008, 09:13 AM   #109
    seekupig

Shows Seen: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    were you a Chiefs fan when Elvis Grbac was the QB?
    seekupig is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-21-2008, 09:38 AM   #110
    william.hosking

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by seekupig View Post
    were you a Chiefs fan when Elvis Grbac was the QB?
    See, I think you are misunderstanding what I am saying. Listen closely, because I am sure you have some sort or learning disability. I never said I was a Patriots fan. What I did say, many times over, is that I am a fan of Tom Brady, which in-turn makes me root for the Patriots. If this offseason Brady got traded to another team, I would root for that team, since Brady was on that team. It doesn't make me a fan of that team, but rather a fan of a player on that team. So to answer your ridiculous question, no I wasn't a Chiefs fan, but yes, I did root for Elvis (and in-turn the Chiefs).

Take the NFC Championship last night. I didn't care who won because both teams had Michigan ties. Although being a Lions fan, I was more rooting for the Giants. Plaxico Burress went to Michigan State and Charles Woodson went to Michigan. Does that make me a Giants or Packers fan? NO. Am I allowed to root for that team because someone I like is on that team? YES.

Twitter
    Facebook
    Old 01-21-2008, 09:44 AM   #111
    jimibadfish
    Tiger Owes You Nothing

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Pats, with ease.

I'm kind of a dick sometimes. Other times, I'm a total dick. :D
    jimibadfish is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-21-2008, 09:44 AM   #112
    DMB0715

Shows Seen: 8

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'm a Red Sox Fan but I will always support whatever team Griffey Jr. plays for.

I don't see anything wrong with having favorite players that are not on the team you openly support.
    I agree. Their are some players you will support regardless of what happens.
    DMB0715 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-21-2008, 11:01 AM   #113
    jmudmbphan
    27 WS + 14 NATL TITLES

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    So I am not allowed to be a lifelong fan of a player, just a team? If I like a certain player it's called "manlove" now, huh? Your argument makes absolutely no sense. I am a fan of Tom Brady, not necessarily the Patriots. The reason he's wearing a Brady jersey is because of what I just stated, plus the fact that they are playing football in January and the Lions are not. If the Lions were, he would have had on his Roy Williams jersey. Also, before responding to posts, please make sure you know what the fuck you're talking about, because I am embarrassed for you

definition of bandwagon.

end of argument.
    Old 01-21-2008, 11:01 AM   #114
    jmudmbphan
    27 WS + 14 NATL TITLES

My Tour Central Stats

but really, you can root for whomever you choose....im not saying you cant.

just dont deny what you really are........bandwagon!
    Old 01-21-2008, 11:11 AM   #115
    superfan

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    definition of bandwagon.

end of argument.
    I was just gonna write that, that is such a true bandwagon statement.
    Old 01-21-2008, 11:18 AM   #116
    william.hosking

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    definition of bandwagon.

end of argument.
    Riddle me this: How is that the definition of bandwagon? If I am rooting for a team that is playing in Januray, but I live in a state where the football team here sucks dick and never plays in January (unless a regular season game falls in Jan), I am not allowed to root for the team that is playing? Even though I am a fan of one of it's players? You're a fucking idiot.

The definition of a bandwagon fan is one who follows a team because they are successful at the time. That's the definition of a bandwagon fan. And furthermore, if you were reading any of my posts, you would know that as long as Tom Brady plays for New England, win or lose, I will be rooting for them. That's not bandwagon. That's player loyalty. Get your facts straight.

Twitter
    Facebook
    Old 01-21-2008, 11:28 AM   #117
    chr35919
    Chris

Shows Seen: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Riddle me this: How is that the definition of bandwagon? If I am rooting for a team that is playing in Januray, but I live in a state where the football team here sucks dick and never plays in January (unless a regular season game falls in Jan), I am not allowed to root for the team that is playing? Even though I am a fan of one of it's players? You're a fucking idiot.

The definition of a bandwagon fan is one who follows a team because they are successful at the time. That's the definition of a bandwagon fan. And furthermore, if you were reading any of my posts, you would know that as long as Tom Brady plays for New England, win or lose, I will be rooting for them. That's not bandwagon. That's player loyalty. Get your facts straight.

chr35919 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-21-2008, 11:33 AM   #118
    clayj41

Shows Seen: 34

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Patriots-34
    Giants-28

In all honesty, I'd like to see the Pats win the game just for history's sake and the fact that outside of this board, I don't have to deal with either team's fans bragging about the victory. I don't really care for Eli and love watching Brady play, so go Pats...I guess.
    clayj41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-21-2008, 11:37 AM   #119
    funksoul

Shows Seen: 73

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Yes...the weather will be perfect inside
    funksoul is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 01-21-2008, 11:55 AM   #120
    jmudmbphan
    27 WS + 14 NATL TITLES

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Ill say it once again..you can root for whomever you choose, im not saying you cant.

And calling people names who consider you bandwagon is a little immature and counterproductive. You would think a man who has a child would act slightly more mature than you do.

The point at issue is whether or not youw ould root for the tom brady and the pats win or lose. You say you would. I say you wouldn't. This is a very simple argument..the fact that you cannot even see what we are arguing about makes me question you "reading comprehension skills".