Stupid things heard at a show 2017 - Page 9 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > General Discussion > DMBc Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 06-27-2017, 06:16 AM   #241
iammine

Shows Seen: 50

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Stupid things heard at a show 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroshady View Post
I was actually pretty surprised at the following the Lumineers have. I was at their Good Morning America show in Central Park last Friday, and some of the fans I met there were very dedicated to the band. On the level of DMB even.
I wasn't commenting on the following of the band as much as the (perceived) waste of money. If I want to drop dmb/Clapton money for an opener play a short set in a big venue, I'm going to make sure I enjoy the headliner enough to stick around.

I got that it happens. Evidently more than I realized with the moe. and OAR stories.

One more: saw a Robert Randolph/oar co-headlining tour 12-15 years ago. Clearly said "co-headlining" on the ticket. During the full RRTFB set some jackass in front of me sat down the whole time flipping off the stage.
iammine is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-27-2017, 07:52 AM   #242
    SeeMoreDMB

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 0

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aeroshady View Post
    I agree. I have never heard Jimi called a "dud" before. I get being frustrated at a song being played so much (for me, it was Two Step), but to call a fantastic tune a dud is nuts!

Also, let Dave play some tunes he really enjoys playing. He clearly loves to play Jimi, so let him have it!

Also, I love Seven and I don't care what you all think!
    I'm totally with you. Obviously there are songs I want to hear over others, but in the end the best performance is going to come from the artist playing what they enjoy playing. It's like with Last Stop, Dave has said he loves the song but has to be in the right mood to play it, I don't want him to play a song just because I want to hear it, that's just selfish. And I also agree with you on Seven. I'm not sure how many people realize just how complex that song is from a rhythmic standpoint, and I can guarantee they all dance to it because it has a great feel and groove to move too. And Dave clearly loves Seven as well because he always looks like he's having a good time playing it.
    SeeMoreDMB is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-27-2017, 09:28 AM   #243
    CrushB610

Shows Seen: 69

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

I don't think the problem with Jimi is the song or the amount it's played as much as WHEN it's played... it was the top closer in 2016 and not exactly best way to end a set.

When you look at total plays, it has equal # of plays as Crush which no one will ever call a dud, and there were 9 songs played more than was Jimi in 2016. To me the problem with Jimi always was the letdown having it end the set and the predictability that came with that.
    Old 06-27-2017, 09:50 AM   #244
    crashintonickdm
    Watching the wheels

Shows Seen: 81

DMB Hub Stubs: 27

My Tour Central Stats

i feel like crush and DDTW are at every D&T show because dave just wants craig to work and earn his cash by bringing out guitars. i always wonder why those 2 songs are ALWAYS played and never go away.

im not saying i want them to, but i do wonder sometimes.
    crashintonickdm is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-27-2017, 11:19 AM   #245
    KevinTH
    KevinTH5

Shows Seen: 33

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrushB610 View Post
    I don't think the problem with Jimi is the song or the amount it's played as much as WHEN it's played... it was the top closer in 2016 and not exactly best way to end a set.

When you look at total plays, it has equal # of plays as Crush which no one will ever call a dud, and there were 9 songs played more than was Jimi in 2016. To me the problem with Jimi always was the letdown having it end the set and the predictability that came with that.
    Combo of being overplayed and ending sets I think. Before it started ending sets people were already complaining about it. I'll admit I was one of them. With that said, every time I see it I'm dancing and singing along, so after seeing it twice last summer, and enjoyed it both times, I decided it was time to quit complaining about it. All in all it really is a fun song to see live. When we walked out of the Gorge N2 it was still fresh in everyone's heads and everywhere you looked someone was shaking about and singing "sexy mutha f*cka shakin' that ass, shakin' that ass!"

And Seven is awesome.
    KevinTH is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 06-27-2017, 11:24 AM   #246
    but1well
    love baby

Shows Seen: 42

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by crashintonickdm View Post
    i feel like crush and DDTW are at every D&T show because dave just wants craig to work and earn his cash by bringing out guitars. i always wonder why those 2 songs are ALWAYS played and never go away.

im not saying i want them to, but i do wonder sometimes.
    I think it's because they're fan favorites that work really well D&T. Especially when they do short sets like farm aid.
    This is literally the opposite of communism. Now, if they came out and cancelled all seats and said you are all to sit on the lawn, as peasant equals, you'd have an argument.
    but1well is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-20-2017, 07:44 PM   #247
    chadizzy1
    Rumor Curator

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 17

My Tour Central Stats

DMB shared this post on FB talking about how there were no repeats in Mexico this year:
    https://www.facebook.com/davematthew...55216729400910

"Old Dirt Hill" and "Bring That Beat Back" were listed as two separate songs. But one of the comments stood out

One of the comments:"I hope whoever made this realizes that "Old Dirt Hill" and "Bring that Beat Back" are the same song."

Reply to that comment: "Bring that beat back is a tangent off of old dirt hill. Yes odh says that in the song. But they riff off of it into it's own thing. Kinda like anyone seen the bridge. Or 36."

chadizzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2017, 06:50 AM   #248
    garagebrothers

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by but1well View Post
    I think it's because they're fan favorites that work really well D&T. Especially when they do short sets like farm aid.
    DDTW is the only song in their catalogue that I could do with never hearing again at a show.
    garagebrothers is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2017, 07:41 AM   #249
    WidespreadMule3

Shows Seen: 28

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post
    DMB shared this post on FB talking about how there were no repeats in Mexico this year:

"Old Dirt Hill" and "Bring That Beat Back" were listed as two separate songs. But one of the comments stood out

One of the comments:"I hope whoever made this realizes that "Old Dirt Hill" and "Bring that Beat Back" are the same song."

Reply to that comment: "Bring that beat back is a tangent off of old dirt hill. Yes odh says that in the song. But they riff off of it into it's own thing. Kinda like anyone seen the bridge. Or 36."

I don't understand why the DMB community is so determined to always prove someone wrong when they clearly don't know as much as they claim.
    WidespreadMule3 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2017, 08:03 AM   #250
    dpduke5173

Shows Seen: 96

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    I don't understand why the DMB community is so determined to always prove someone wrong when they clearly don't know as much as they claim.
    This stuff is so funny. Hilarious when casual fans make shit up to sound cool when they don't know they are talking to a reasonably knowledgeable hardcore such as most of us.
    Old 09-21-2017, 08:11 AM   #251
    Roose13
    Ring the Bell

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WidespreadMule3 View Post
    I don't understand why society is so determined to always prove someone wrong when they clearly don't know as much as they claim.
    Edited for the bigger picture. It's an epidemic everywhere.

NHL Thread Banner
    -2013-14 Keith Yandle Award winner-
    -2014-15 Buccigross Award winner-
    -2015-16 Darren Dreger Award winner-
    -2016-17 Damien Cox Award winner-
    Roose13 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2017, 09:17 AM   #252
    daveshookme
    Altuve wore a wire

Shows Seen: 54

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadizzy1 View Post

Jesus fuck this one's ridiculous. ASTB is miles better than almost anything else this band has put out. What could it possibly be a riff from?
    Old 09-21-2017, 07:23 PM   #253
    dustin41
    Scranton

Shows Seen: 59

My Tour Central Stats

DMB related heard at Roger Waters on tuesday -

"oh, i meant to tell you sweetheart, i bought a new cd of dave matthews today. The guy in Best buy recommended it since he knows i like dave so much. Its called Live at Red Rocks, it was a show they did in 1995 at red rocks in colorado. There's stuff on it i've never even heard before! i think you're going to like it, honey. Tim Reynolds is on it and some of the stuff is really jazzy."

-dustin
    dustin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2017, 07:27 PM   #254
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

Who buys CD's at Best Buy to the point that the people that work there know your taste?

Wait... don't even need the last part. Who buys CD's at Best Buy?
    Old 09-21-2017, 07:27 PM   #255
    garagebrothers

Shows Seen: 41

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dustin41 View Post
    DMB related heard at Roger Waters on tuesday -

"oh, i meant to tell you sweetheart, i bought a new cd of dave matthews today. The guy in Best buy recommended it since he knows i like dave so much. Its called Live at Red Rocks, it was a show they did in 1995 at red rocks in colorado. There's stuff on it i've never even heard before! i think you're going to like it, honey. Tim Reynolds is on it and some of the stuff is really jazzy."

-dustin
    There's a new Red Rocks cd out?
    garagebrothers is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-21-2017, 07:29 PM   #256
    ExistenceNow
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 117

DMB Hub Stubs: 30

My Tour Central Stats

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on that and assume he meant that it's new to him (not a new release.)

But for someone who likes Dave so much, it's definitely odd that he's never heard of RR95.

How old was he? It sounds like something someone who's a younger fan might say, but then again, I can't imagine anyone under the age of 50 buying CD's at Best Buy in 2017.

Last edited by ExistenceNow; 09-21-2017 at 07:30 PM.
    ExistenceNow is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-22-2017, 10:01 AM   #257
    dustin41
    Scranton

Shows Seen: 59

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExistenceNow View Post
    I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on that and assume he meant that it's new to him (not a new release.)

But for someone who likes Dave so much, it's definitely odd that he's never heard of RR95.

How old was he? It sounds like something someone who's a younger fan might say, but then again, I can't imagine anyone under the age of 50 buying CD's at Best Buy in 2017.

bingo!

The man was a doctor, aged about 59. The wife who purchased the CD was in her mid 50s. This was at a Roger Waters show in Pittsburgh. It was hilarious.

-dustin
    dustin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-22-2017, 10:39 AM   #258
    blumathu

Shows Seen: 38

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

It's quite believable that newish fans would not have heard Red Rocks, given the massive amount of live material available to pick from.
    blumathu is offline   Reply With Quote