chrisjuniper

Shows Seen: 29

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Re: 2017 Rumors

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbolp View Post
There's obviously a lot more to it than "sell out" and "good show"

2006 Red Rocks sold out 4 shows and they were great!! Haven't been back in over 10 years (equipment hard to load, yeah yeah)

It's seems in recent years they play a few brand new venues for a year or two to help them get started, NH could be a case of this

The NH venue has been opened since 1996 so

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-23-2017, 06:55 AM   #2192
    Cozmic135
    Just tryin' to get by.

Shows Seen: 171

DMB Hub Stubs: 36

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheLastPig View Post
    No way do 2 NH shows and mansfield and hartford happen. But for the most part youre on. Add in Pittsburgh and take away those NH shows. I just doubt theyll go back there. If they do it would take mansfield's place likely.

Probably throw in a couple more west coast shows as well.
    Hartford is a staple New England stop. It's also giant which is why the numbers have been declining over the years with 2 show stops (not to mention it's just a straight cluster to get to on a Friday). They could do away with Mansfield which holds 10K less people and just make sure they hit Hartford which would keep the #s up.
    Old 06-23-2017, 06:59 AM   #2193
    jrkarger

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Pittsburgh sells well when its one show. They still sell 15-18k tickets.

Idk why people ignore it so much when making assumed tours but always include blossom. Pittsburgh sells better than blossom regularly.

I love blossom too.
    I love how people prognosticate with certainty when they say, "I can see this happening..." the truth is no one has any idea what's going to happen this far away from summer 2018.

Speaking of Blossom there are times I think I like it better than Star Lake.
    Old 06-23-2017, 07:00 AM   #2194
    UofIDaveFan

Shows Seen: 45

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Saving up for Gorge next year. I think its finally time for me.
    Same here. My wife and I decided after the year off was announced that we should probably make sure to get out there in 2018 since I don't know how many more opportunities we will have. If I didn't get out there at least once for DMB I would regret it. I'm not sure of the logistics yet because I'm not exactly a fan of roughing it in a tent for 3 days. Just not sure I have that in me. We kicked around the idea of renting a small RV and driving out from Illinois over several days, then flying home at the end of the weekend.
    Old 06-23-2017, 07:15 AM   #2195
    TheLastPig

Shows Seen: 57

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jrkarger View Post
    I love how people prognosticate with certainty when they say, "I can see this happening..." the truth is no one has any idea what's going to happen this far away from summer 2018.

Speaking of Blossom there are times I think I like it better than Star Lake.

Blossom is 10x the venue starlake is. Its a pain to get in and out of, so are most venues, but that one is extra shitty.

I dont hate starlake, its a fine newer-type venue, but it has no personality.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by UofIDaveFan View Post
    Same here. My wife and I decided after the year off was announced that we should probably make sure to get out there in 2018 since I don't know how many more opportunities we will have. If I didn't get out there at least once for DMB I would regret it. I'm not sure of the logistics yet because I'm not exactly a fan of roughing it in a tent for 3 days. Just not sure I have that in me. We kicked around the idea of renting a small RV and driving out from Illinois over several days, then flying home at the end of the weekend.

My buddy who is a huge dmb fan just moved out to seattle at the beginning of the year. Definitely will make the trip cheaper and easier. Can stay at his place and likely ride out to the gorge from there with him.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aoeiifreak View Post
    You hit some nerves because some people rely on logic and facts.
    Old 06-23-2017, 07:21 AM   #2196
    jrkarger

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Blossom is 10x the venue starlake is. Its a pain to get in and out of, so are most venues, but that one is extra shitty.

I dont hate starlake, its a fine newer-type venue, but it has no personality
    They are so different that you get completely different concert experiences at each place.

At Star Lake the tailgate scene is great but your in an open lot. The venue itself is standard.

At Blossom, you eat at the Winking Lizard or some place else before hand and then chill in the grass lots in the woods with some drinks; much more laid back. And the aesthetics of Blossom are second to none. Btw, I've never had an issue getting in or out of Blossom except for the time we got VIP. What a rip off that shit is.

I've always said comparing Star Lake and Blossom is like comparing an afternoon at PNC Park to a night game at Heinz Field.
    Old 06-23-2017, 07:26 AM   #2197
    chrisjuniper

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    the roughing it in a tent for 3/4 days thing isn't so bad, but you can rent a small rv for about $100 a night if you'd prefer some creature comforts
    Old 06-23-2017, 07:37 AM   #2198
    Chumlee67
    A.K.A. Marshmont

Shows Seen: 12

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cozmic135 View Post
    Hartford is a staple New England stop. It's also giant which is why the numbers have been declining over the years with 2 show stops (not to mention it's just a straight cluster to get to on a Friday). They could do away with Mansfield which holds 10K less people and just make sure they hit Hartford which would keep the #s up.
    I would be really disappointed if they did off with Mansfield. I live in central Mass and could go to either venue, but the stories I hear every year, or every so often, about Hartford have made me avoid it. I'm sure I hear more about the good than the bad, though.

If they were to only do Hartford & NH or one of the two, they would have to do it on a weekend because week day traffic in the NEast is atrocious

List of Officially Released Tracks:
    Thread -- Website / Document (Defunct) / Sheet (Defunct)
    Last Update: 09/06/2019
    Old 06-23-2017, 08:06 AM   #2199
    chrisjuniper

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chumlee67 View Post
    I would be really disappointed if they did off with Mansfield. I live in central Mass and could go to either venue, but the stories I hear every year, or every so often, about Hartford have made me avoid it. I'm sure I hear more about the good than the bad, though.

If they were to only do Hartford & NH or one of the two, they would have to do it on a weekend because week day traffic in the NEast is atrocious
    There's zero traffic in NH pretty much ever, at least where that venue is. The two night stand was the beginning of the week last summer IIRC. I'd much rather they off Hartford than Mansfield though, Hartford is always a shitshow.
    Old 06-23-2017, 08:26 AM   #2200
    DavedigsmyGF

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmbolp View Post
    Can you book Spirit more than a year in advance? You can only go out about 10 months with Southwest
    Yeah, I learned that yesterday..Not sure how I'm handling this situation. Of course I'm given a free flight the year they take off...
    Old 06-23-2017, 08:34 AM   #2201
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DavedigsmyGF View Post
    Yeah, I learned that yesterday..Not sure how I'm handling this situation. Of course I'm given a free flight the year they take off...
    See if anyone you like it playing at red rocks or something, worth making a trip out there since DMB will likely never be there again.

Or just plan a vacation

Quote:
    Old 06-23-2017, 08:36 AM   #2202
    cpxc.

Shows Seen: 119

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

star lake lawn is light years better than blossom's lawn.
    Old 06-23-2017, 08:36 AM   #2203
    cpxc.

My Tour Central Stats

blossom is the only other venue i would put in the SPAC lawn category. it's that bad.
    Old 06-23-2017, 08:49 AM   #2204
    jrkarger

My Tour Central Stats

Admittedly, I've never done lawn at Blossom and from what I've seen and heard I never will.
    Old 06-23-2017, 08:53 AM   #2205
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cpxc. View Post
    star lake lawn is light years better than blossom's lawn.
    Its muddy for sure, but the sound is fine and you can generally find a calm spot toward the sides, I hardly do lawn there though.

Quote:
    blossom is the only other venue i would put in the SPAC lawn category. it's that bad.
    Not a chance.

SPAC is light years away from anything else.

Blossom can get packed but ive never thought it as any worse than any other lawn ive seen.

Quote:
    Old 06-23-2017, 09:22 AM   #2206
    dmbolp
    GO GATORS!!!

Shows Seen: 150

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chrisjuniper View Post
    The NH venue has been opened since 1996 so
    Woops, was thinking the Maine venue, but that's the least significant part of my comment

"sell out" and "good show" don't determine where they'll play again. They could probably sell out MSG multiple times a year, as well as several other places they don't always go to. And they keep going back to places that don't sell well.
    Old 06-23-2017, 10:16 AM   #2207
    UofIDaveFan

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chrisjuniper View Post
    the roughing it in a tent for 3/4 days thing isn't so bad, but you can rent a small rv for about $100 a night if you'd prefer some creature comforts
    I should rephrase. Actually it's not really the tent camping that would be my concern, but more about finding the right campground. For that extended period of time we would both want something pretty chill where I can just mellowly enjoy some good beer and hang out. Any campground resembling tailgating at Alpine might be a bit much over 3-4 days. And I say all of this not having done any research on the various options. I'm sure there is something that fits what we would be looking for.
    Old 06-23-2017, 10:26 AM   #2208
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I should rephrase. Actually it's not really the tent camping that would be my concern, but more about finding the right campground. For that extended period of time we would both want something pretty chill where I can just mellowly enjoy some good beer and hang out. Any campground resembling tailgating at Alpine might be a bit much over 3-4 days. And I say all of this not having done any research on the various options. I'm sure there is something that fits what we would be looking for.
    You camp at the venue.

Quote:
    Old 06-23-2017, 10:27 AM   #2209
    cpxc.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Its muddy for sure, but the sound is fine and you can generally find a calm spot toward the sides, I hardly do lawn there though.

Not a chance.

SPAC is light years away from anything else.

Blossom can get packed but ive never thought it as any worse than any other lawn ive seen.
    nope, blossom lawn is right there.

I love blossom, seen several shows there, but the lawn is straight anus cavity.
    Old 06-23-2017, 10:34 AM   #2210
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Can you explain why?

I honestly couldnt pick out a difference between that lawn and starlake besides the mud. There are drunk douchebros at all shows.

Ive probably done lawn at blossom like 6-7 times, alot more at starlake.

Quote:
    Old 06-23-2017, 11:02 AM   #2211
    cpxc.

My Tour Central Stats

what venue are you saying has the mud? my worst concert experience was 7.30.08 at blossom.
    Old 06-23-2017, 11:08 AM   #2212
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    what venue are you saying has the mud? my worst concert experience was 7.30.08 at blossom.
    Blossom.. they both do but blossom seems to do a much worse job at taking care of their grass. Burgettstown was a muddy mess last thursday for dead & co but it was pouring for like 1/3 of the show.

I was in the lawn that blossom show too. Like I said I dont remember anything sticking out as bad any time ive been on the lawn there other than in 2014. Had trouble hearing the acoustic set and some dumb college chick tried to grab my poster tube that I had sitting on the blanket next to me.

Quote:
    Old 06-23-2017, 11:24 AM   #2213
    cpxc.

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Blossom.. they both do but blossom seems to do a much worse job at taking care of their grass. Burgettstown was a muddy mess last thursday for dead & co but it was pouring for like 1/3 of the show.

I was in the lawn that blossom show too. Like I said I dont remember anything sticking out as bad any time ive been on the lawn there other than in 2014. Had trouble hearing the acoustic set and some dumb college chick tried to grab my poster tube that I had sitting on the blanket next to me.
    Only time I've ever been on the lawn at blossom, high school kids fighting all around. Had to go to top of lawn to get away from it all. Couldn't see shit. Had to get security because kids were bragging how they were sneaking in, security said they didn't give a fuck. It was just a shit show.
    Old 06-23-2017, 11:29 AM   #2214
    Cscottrun

Shows Seen: 99

DMB Hub Stubs: 26

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Only time I've ever been on the lawn at blossom, high school kids fighting all around. Had to go to top of lawn to get away from it all. Couldn't see shit. Had to get security because kids were bragging how they were sneaking in, security said they didn't give a fuck. It was just a shit show.
    People sneak onto the SPAC lawn so much, its become a regular event to watch them hop the fence and see if they can make it passed security. If you want high school kids fighting, go to Hartford. People piss and bang on the lawn there. Its disgusting. The only thing that makes it a tiny bit better is that it is so large, you can move away.

Also looks like Blossom has a better sight line of stage than SPAC.

Last edited by Cscottrun; 06-23-2017 at 11:31 AM.
    Old 06-23-2017, 11:46 AM   #2215
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cscottrun View Post
    People sneak onto the SPAC lawn so much, its become a regular event to watch them hop the fence and see if they can make it passed security. If you want high school kids fighting, go to Hartford. People piss and bang on the lawn there. Its disgusting. The only thing that makes it a tiny bit better is that it is so large, you can move away.

Also looks like Blossom has a better sight line of stage than SPAC.
    Oh yeah, without question.

The fact that people pay money to sit on the SPAC lawn honestly blows my mind, especially once you get like half way up the front part of the lawn, you literally cant see anything, let alone the back flat part where people just stare at other's backs. It pissed me off enough just trying to wade through the sea of people to go take a piss and get back to the walkways for the pavilion.

Quote:
    Old 06-23-2017, 12:31 PM   #2216
    coombse
    Salty, as fuck.

Shows Seen: 93

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    condos.... its really not that expensive with a few people.

**Survivor 2016 Columbia River Tragedy**
    Old 06-23-2017, 12:37 PM   #2217
    UofIDaveFan

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coombse View Post
    I'm not too worried. We'll make it work somehow.
    Old 06-23-2017, 12:39 PM   #2218
    TheLastPig

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coombse View Post
    How many people do those condos hold? And any idea on price?

I think were gonna have a group of at least 4 going.

Quote:
    Old 06-23-2017, 02:44 PM   #2219
    chrisjuniper

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

I'd say the majority of even regular camping at the gorge's campground, is pretty laid back. I didn't see anything like Lees at SPAC. The higher tier areas of the camping seemed even more laid back.
    Old 06-23-2017, 03:35 PM   #2220
    coombse
    Salty, as fuck.

Shows Seen: 93

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    How many people do those condos hold? And any idea on price?

I think were gonna have a group of at least 4 going.
    Condos hold all sorts of numbers. Thing is you need to act very fucking fast to get them reserved. Price, is comparable to a hotel, for 4 nights I stayed in one with 7 of us and the cost was probably $250 or less per person. In 2014 we stayed in an actual modern home and that was about $500 per person.

If you're looking cheap, camp, bring your own stuff, have a small commune (3 people camping with no "gear help" would suck) but even then, its not cheap, by any means.

There's all sorts of threads and advice docs on how to do the gorge. Do your homework and its awesome.

Last year I was fortunate enough to be a passenger, on a boat that almost sank , in the Columbia River, with a couple lesser known Ants , Joe M and Matt.

Let's put it this way, we took on a few FEET of water

I hope DMB goes back, I'll never go there again. Just because, that ship has sailed.

**Survivor 2016 Columbia River Tragedy**

Last edited by coombse; 06-23-2017 at 03:39 PM.
    Closed Thread