Differences between April Sessions and released BWGGK - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion

Go Back   Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion > Archive > 'Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King' Album Discussion

Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here

Old 05-25-2009, 01:06 PM   #1
mismetti

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Differences between April Sessions and released BWGGK

I'm converting the songs to mono, synchronizing them on Audacity and panning each to one side of the stereo picture (one 100%, the other 100% to the right), I believe this is the easiest way to spot differences.
Say, when a vocal take is the same, you hear it as if it's coming from the center, when they switch to different takes you'll hear each on its own side.

Here's what I found, so far:

You and Me

I'm starting to think these are entirely different vocal takes, even if they sound a LOT similar, the backing track synchronizes perfectly, but the vocals don't. Dave should be doing vocal takes one after another, so that would explain why they sound SO similar, but don't sync 100%.

Obvious differences would be the lack of drums, strings and electric piano on the April Sessions and the bridge at 2:37 which feature vocals on the released version.

The ending features electric guitar and a tambourine on the April Sessions which is not on the released.

The bass is much more pronounced on the April Sessions. On the ending it is completely absent from the released version.

My Baby Blue

Obvious difference: orchestra on released version.

Different guitar take (or edit?) at 0:11. Couldn't determine when guitar tracks come back to being the same one.
Different vocal take on the word "holding" at 1:23.
Different vocal take on "you and me forever" at 2:26.
Different vocal take on "you will" at 2:36.
Different vocal take from "blue blue world" at 3:18 until the end of released version.
Released version ends around 3:29 (fades out until 3:40). April Session continues for a minute more until 4:38. So April Session has an extra minute in length!

Oddly enough I had to reduce the April Session version's volume more than the released one. But then again, I'm working with the Pandora streaming for the released...

Time Bomb

Obvious difference: released version begins with Carter counting in using his sticks. There's a tiny muted guitar picking right before the riff begins.

Organ and electric piano on released version starting at 0:52.
Organ "riff" at 1:44 is a little louder on the April Sessions. At this same point, released version features percussion (shaker) not on April Sessions.

"Baby when I get home" part at 1:52 features louder vocals and less saxophone on released version.
At 2:10 the organ continues on the April Sessions, but it's absent from released version. But released has electric piano at 2:17.
"No one would believe you" at 2:29 has louder horns on April Session.

Horns are also louder on the fast part of the April Session.

That's what I got so far.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 05-25-2009, 01:11 PM   #2
    biGEyedFish4041

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Differences between April Sessions and released BWGGK

pie gator the bridge doest have as much guitar/banjo in it as the april sessuwans.....maybe just the quality of the stream thou
    Old 05-25-2009, 01:31 PM   #3
    mismetti

My Tour Central Stats

Seven

Intro features organ on released version.

First word is the same vocal take, then vocal takes are completely different (even lyrics).
    Vocals from "I never knew but I do now" (0:52) are the same until 1:03.

Horns are more pronounced on the choruses of the April Session.
    Bridge at 1:32 has louder vocals on the released version, April Session has more pronounced drums.

Different vocal takes from 2:54 until 2:59. Then from 3:29 until 3:35.

Organ and longer fade out at 4:09 on April Sessions.
    Old 05-25-2009, 01:59 PM   #4
    mismetti

My Tour Central Stats

Alligator Pie

Dog barking is mixed with the intro on April Sessions, it's before the intro on the released.
    Some extra vocals/vocalizations on the released version, like a falsetto on 0:32.

Extra violin starting at 1:52 only on April Sessions.
    Extra banjo on released version at this same spot.

Organ is louder on "all the things we know" (2:24) on April Sessions.

At 3:53 on the released version the guitar feedback continues without fade (links with Seven). On the April Session this is faded out.
    Old 05-25-2009, 02:18 PM   #5
    mismetti

My Tour Central Stats

Squirm

Intro of the released version seems to feature Tim's sitar in the background. It's either a sitar or one of those electric guitars with a sitar bridge.

0:51 - "drum beats louder" vocals on released version.
    1:39 - backing vocals louder on April Sessions.
    1:48 - electric guitar on April Sessions.
    2:37 - backing vocals louder on April Sessions.
    3:38 - released version fades to complete silence. April Sessions does not.
    4:54 - released version has chimes and a shaker. Also the fruit selling man is in a different spot during fade out, and lasts longer on released version.
    Old 05-26-2009, 06:12 AM   #6
    mismetti

My Tour Central Stats

Lying in the Hands of God

Released version features organ and chimes not on April Sessions.
    Drums are louder on April Sessions. Vocal is louder on released version.

At 4:51 the two versions go separate ways. Released version starts gearing towards the end while April Session continues. So April Session is around 30 seconds longer.

April Session ends cold, with just Tim's guitar holding a note. Released version features that, then some synth FX.
    Old 05-26-2009, 06:22 AM   #7
    SpotlightEyes
    Life is so peachy

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

what a total waste of time. They're different. We know it. Move on.
    Old 05-26-2009, 06:34 AM   #8
    DJGeneral
    The GENERAL

Shows Seen: 3

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotlightEyes View Post

I think it is pretty cool seeing the differences, and after I listen to the album on June 2, I am going to listen to these sessions.

Please keep doing this for the rest of the tracks.
    Old 05-26-2009, 06:50 AM   #9
    SweetUp&Down40

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 5

My Tour Central Stats

the pandora version is not necessarily the final version, they will likely tweak more

i doubt very much they'll keep the count to time bomb

i hope to god they keep the orchestra in my baby blue, that makes the song for me
    Old 05-26-2009, 06:50 AM   #10
    DJGeneral
    The GENERAL

My Tour Central Stats

Pandora is the final mix. There is no time to add or alter anything. The album is finished, mastered and done probably 2-3 weeks ago.
    Old 05-26-2009, 06:59 AM   #11
    conspiersacy

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

i'm so glad you tried to do this! i was trying to do almost the exact same thing last night, but couldn't get the results i was after. what i tried to do was invert one of the tracks and then mix them, which would, theoretically, eliminate any sound common to both versions and leave only the differences behind. you should see if you can get that to work!
    Old 05-26-2009, 07:27 AM   #12
    mismetti

My Tour Central Stats

Yeah, I tried inverting to cancel out what was common to both tracks (the differences would then stand out), but to do this you have to sync them perfectly to the nanosecond.

Plus, we're using lossy compressed sources here, which probably doesn't help. My April Session is in 128kbps m4a (aac) files and my released is either 96kbps MP3 files (from Pandora) or 256kbps m4a (Lying in the Hands of God, Shake Me Like a Monkey and Funny the Way It Is).

Last but not least, these are different mixes. Drums might be louder on one track, vocals louder on another. So say you matched both drum tracks perfectly, the vocals would stand out because they're mixed at different levels, might even have different amounts of compression, EQ etc.
    Old 05-26-2009, 08:08 AM   #13
    mismetti

My Tour Central Stats

Spaceman

Drums at the start are very similar but don't sync. Different takes? Edit? It only synchronizes when Dave starts singing.

Released version features electric piano not on April Session.

Vocal starts with different takes until "yes I love the way you move" on 0:21.
    Also different vocal takes from 0:28 until "still I love the way you love me baby" on 0:36.

1:01 - Chorus on the April Session has backing vocals spread through the stereo channels (left + right). Released places them in the center along with the lead vocal, so April Session sounds like it has more backing vocals. Seems like the released only spreads the BVs on "good life", emphasizing it like the live versions.
    Also, the banjo is louder on the released version. Is it there at all on the April Session?

Drum fills differ slightly throughout the song. I'm thinking Carter was following the same clock, but doing different drum takes. Still impressive how he reproduces his own fills perfectly. I thought that kind of thing (little drum fills) would be improvised on the spot.

1:45 - 1:54 Different vocal takes?

3:58 - Shaker and banjo ending only on the released version.
    Old 05-26-2009, 02:28 PM   #14
    mismetti

My Tour Central Stats

Dive In

Backing vocals on chorus are louder on released version.

1:58 - Released version goes straight to chorus. April Session has an extra bar where Dave sings "care... of..." and then goes to chorus.

Drums are a little louder on released version throughout the song.

Strings fade out at the end is louder on released version.

So the only real difference is that the April Session version is a bar longer!
    Old 05-26-2009, 04:34 PM   #15
    RolandsThinny
    "Pamcakes!!"

Shows Seen: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Keep it up! I don't have the patience to do what you're doing nor am I listening to TAS before I hear the album itself, in full. Then I'll go back and listen to it. With your notes, I'll know what to listen for. Thanks!
    Old 05-26-2009, 07:56 PM   #16
    brett1020

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

I have TAS on my computer, but I haven't listened to them yet (haven't listened to any of the leaks yet either)...can't decide if I should wait to listen to the proper cd next week, or if I should just give in and listen to TAS...? Thoughts???
    Old 05-26-2009, 08:35 PM   #17
    RolandsThinny
    "Pamcakes!!"

Shows Seen: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brett1020 View Post
    I have TAS on my computer, but I haven't listened to them yet (haven't listened to any of the leaks yet either)...can't decide if I should wait to listen to the proper cd next week, or if I should just give in and listen to TAS...? Thoughts???
    I'm waiting til I get the disk next week. Then I'll pour over all the leaks for differences after the fact. The only leaked stuff I've listened to is what i have already heard live.
    Old 05-26-2009, 09:36 PM   #18
    DJGeneral
    The GENERAL

My Tour Central Stats

The only other thing is the April thing. And the final disc. There are no other mixes out. as far as i know
    Old 05-26-2009, 10:07 PM   #19
    LifeInStereo
    Top 10 Uploader

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I've listened to both the Pandora stream and the April demo, and I definitely recommend you wait to listen to the April demo until after you've listened to the final mix at least a couple times, if not more. Although some of the songs are pretty similar in both versions, the songs that do have notable changes are all arguably better on the final version. So if you listen to the April versions first, you might write off a song you might have otherwise really liked if you had instead listened to the final (awesome) version first. Seven is the example that most immediately comes to mind. I thought the debut was crap, and the TAS version is... an improvement... but then the final version is awesome - one of my favorite tracks.
    Old 05-26-2009, 10:11 PM   #20
    LifeInStereo
    Top 10 Uploader

Shows Seen: 36

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mismetti View Post
    I'm converting the songs to mono, synchronizing them on Audacity and panning each to one side of the stereo picture (one 100%, the other 100% to the right), I believe this is the easiest way to spot differences.
    Thanks for doing this! I had wanted to do this exact thing, but didn't have the time.
    Old 05-26-2009, 10:20 PM   #21
    berman1125

Shows Seen: 84

DMB Hub Stubs: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    anyone that has waited this long...just wait
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zrroot View Post
    Do You Remember has been played 92 times since 2017. Dreaming Tree has been played 99 times since 1998
    Old 05-27-2009, 09:31 AM   #22
    mismetti

My Tour Central Stats

Why I Am

Well, the big obvious difference is at the intro. The released version features only 4 bars of intro, without sax solo while the April Session features 8 bars with a pretty neat sax solo that was unfortunately deleted from the final version.
    Once the vocal starts it seems we have two different, but very similar, vocal takes. The difference is clearer on the word "wave" ("...with the wave of my hand"), but then on "water turned into wine" it seems like both vocals come from the same take.

1:02 - "out of my head and into the room" are different vocal takes.

1:29 - Some backing vocals for the chorus seem to be re-recorded. But the "always the one to make you smile/snake in the wood pile/still dancing with the groogrux king" response vocals are the exact same take.

1:48 - again "out of my head..." are different vocal takes. Only back to being the same on "the lose and the win of the world".

2:46 - again the response vocals ("unlikely to agree/climbing out of my monkey tree" etc) are the same take.

3:34 - again "out of my head...": different vocal takes.

Seems like Dave's electric guitar is slightly louder on the April Session. More noticeable during the instrumental passages.
    Old 05-27-2009, 10:41 AM   #23
    JAMILL112

Shows Seen: 57

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

i appreciate this, thank you
    Old 05-27-2009, 11:19 AM   #24
    aliendog97
    Take these chances..

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

thanks for doing this...its a great comparison. i was thinking of doing something similar also but i was thinking of waiting until 6/2 so i had heard a better copy of the final mix
    Old 05-27-2009, 02:01 PM   #25
    mismetti

My Tour Central Stats

Funny the Way Is Is

Intro is louder on released version. Features some percussion sounds not on April Sessions.
    0:47 - Different strumming sounds coming from each version at the chorus. Different acoustic guitar takes? Especially on "somebody's going hungry...".
    1:31 - Again different acoustic guitars on the chorus. Continues different on "Standing on a bridge..."

Something weird happens from 3:48 until 3:51. Some elements seem to cancel each other out, but I've no idea why. Might be some sort of edit.

4:07 to 4:20 - Those unintelligible backing vocals seem to come from different takes here.

That weird "cancel out" sound happens again at the very end at 4:23.

And wow, I must have synchronized these two very well. I inverted one of them and this canceled almost all of Dave's vocals and some other stuff. Now it confirms that each version features a different acoustic guitar track, it stands out beautifully! I'm gonna be able to figure this guitar part to the details now!
    Also, the violin must have been heavily re-EQ'd or something, because it stands out a lot as well.
    This also revealed that on the released version there's percussion not only on the intro, but all through the song (shaker and bongos).

Violin solo on the cancelled version sounds pretty weird, with only a few notes being cancelled and some parts sounding like two different violins. Different takes? EQ? Auto-tune? Who knows?

After Tim's solo I had to move the WAVs around to get better cancelling, now the first part doesn't cancel so well. Damn, there must have a tiny little edit somewhere in the song.
    But the backing vocals at 4:07 are very clear now. But not being a native english speaking person, I still can't figure out what he's saying.

But this was pretty interesting. I hope I'm able to do this cancelling with the other tracks as well!
    Old 05-27-2009, 03:22 PM   #26
    NittanyLion07

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Some of these differences are pretty interesting, it's cool to see what the guys decided to edit in the final stages of recording this album.

Thanks for all the hard work brah!...now go outside and do something...just kidding....no, but seriously you really should.
    Old 05-27-2009, 04:42 PM   #27
    eddes409

Shows Seen: 29

My Tour Central Stats

why did they edit out the sax from why i am intro? terrible idea
    Old 05-28-2009, 06:14 AM   #28
    ZackR
    AM.org Moderator

Shows Seen: 11

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

I still can't get why they cut the intro and the sax parts from Why I Am. Thought it sounded GREAT. I really hope a lossless version of the April Demo makes the rounds once the album is released.
    Old 05-28-2009, 06:27 AM   #29
    BDJCL3
    Piss on you Wyatt

Shows Seen: 18

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpotlightEyes View Post
    I enjoy what he's doing.

Thank you.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DontStonethePig View Post
    Tapers are Gods among drunks... thank you tapers for letting us re-live our shows
    Old 05-28-2009, 07:56 AM   #30
    ASecretCreature
    Im obsessed with Seven.

Shows Seen: 9

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZackR View Post
    I still can't get why they cut the intro and the sax parts from Why I Am. Thought it sounded GREAT. I really hope a lossless version of the April Demo makes the rounds once the album is released.
    I agree. I also can't stop singing "be careful where you put your garden hose" in Seven...cause I liked it...