The BitTorrent Helper Thread - Page 3 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 06-13-2005, 02:00 PM   #61
Noles20
Go Birds!

Shows Seen: 23

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Re: The BitTorrent Helper Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove
I think that's a dreamingtree security type thing. I'm pretty sure you just need to wait a few minutes and restart it.

I've tried waiting with no luck. I even tried to dl a different show and it let me. I even deleted all of the files and the torrent file for 6-12. I then re dl'd the torrent file and it gave me the same message "can't leech from more than one location."

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 06-13-2005, 02:04 PM   #62
    Noles20
    Go Birds!

My Tour Central Stats

Well, now it is working. Perhaps I just didn't wait long enough.
    Old 06-13-2005, 02:05 PM   #63
    Dr. Strangelove
    MeinFührerIcanwalk!

Shows Seen: 21

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Noles20
    I've tried waiting with no luck. I even tried to dl a different show and it let me. I even deleted all of the files and the torrent file for 6-12. I then re dl'd the torrent file and it gave me the same message "can't leech from more than one location."
    How long did you wait? Also, make sure your torrent program isn't somehow automatically restarting when you reboot.

Hmm...I'd shut your program down, CTR+ALT+DEL to make sure it's really off, then reboot again and try.
    Old 06-13-2005, 03:47 PM   #64
    Noles20
    Go Birds!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    How long did you wait? Also, make sure your torrent program isn't somehow automatically restarting when you reboot.

Hmm...I'd shut your program down, CTR+ALT+DEL to make sure it's really off, then reboot again and try.

Thanks for your help. I think you were correct in that I hadn't waited long enough.
    Old 06-13-2005, 07:43 PM   #65
    rhuss
    self proclaimed mod

Shows Seen: 5

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Noles20
    I began to dl 6/12/05 from Dreamingtree. It was 4.2 % of the way finished when I blew a fuse and my computer went off. Whn I powered back up and tried to open the torrent file to continue to dl, it says I can't leech from more than one location. As far as I know, I am not trying to leech form more than one location. I need help.
    sounds like your ip might have gotten reset and/or it still shows you leeching on the torrent. just wait a little while.

[size=1]bit torrents: http://bt.etree.org or http://www.dreamingtree.org

[/size][size=1]more info about shn & flac, etc: http://wiki.etree.org[/size]

[size=1]even more info about shn: http://research.umbc.edu/~hamilton/shnfaq.html[/size]
    Old 06-14-2005, 09:19 PM   #66
    fright101

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 12

My Tour Central Stats

Downstream Upstream

384Kbps-
    1.5Mbps128Kbps-
    384Kbps
    What do I set my upload speed and download speed so i dont go over my bandwith?
    Old 06-15-2005, 09:34 AM   #67
    Anth148

Shows Seen: 19

My Tour Central Stats

This is my first time that i have used the azureus software and i'm waiting for my first d/l to complete. What do i do with the files when they get here? And can i convert them to SHN.
    Old 06-15-2005, 10:19 AM   #68
    Dr. Strangelove
    MeinFührerIcanwalk!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fright101
    Downstream Upstream

384Kbps-
    1.5Mbps128Kbps-
    384Kbps
    What do I set my upload speed and download speed so i dont go over my bandwith?
    If you're worried about that, just drop it 10-20 kb/s for each one and try it.
    Old 06-15-2005, 10:21 AM   #69
    Dr. Strangelove
    MeinFührerIcanwalk!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anth148
    This is my first time that i have used the azureus software and i'm waiting for my first d/l to complete. What do i do with the files when they get here? And can i convert them to SHN.
    Well, the files will either be FLAC or shn, so really there's no need for conversion unless you're burning the files. If they're FLAC, there's no real reason to convert to shn, as FLAC is considered better for several reasons (although they're both lossless).

You can play both types of files and convert with http://www.foobar2000.org/
    (Get the Special Installer)
    Old 06-15-2005, 10:51 AM   #70
    fright101

Shows Seen: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Well I am downloading at like 160KBS and uping at 25. I didn't know if this was going over my bandwith or not.
    Old 06-15-2005, 07:06 PM   #71
    smm16

Shows Seen: 43

DMB Hub Stubs: 18

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smm16
    This looks like it was the cause. When I eased it down, it seemed to solve the problem. Thanks for the advice.
    I'm back again - I'm having the same problem. It's driving me crazy. I'm using Azureus, I've got my d/l capped at 70kb and my u/l capped at 20kb. I've tried changing the port I'm using. I've tried limiting how many seeds and leechers I'm connecting to. Yet, everytime, it downloads for a little while, then it hits a brick wall, stops downloading, and cuts my connection completely (bit torrent, internet, e-mail, everything). I'm baffled - anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
    Old 06-16-2005, 12:31 AM   #72
    Dr. Strangelove
    MeinFührerIcanwalk!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fright101
    Well I am downloading at like 160KBS and uping at 25. I didn't know if this was going over my bandwith or not.
    Well, as long as your connection seems stable (like when surfing the net or whatever), those are good numbers. You could probably even put download on unlimited and be ok.

Again, those are nice speeds, so you may not see much of an improvement.
    Old 06-16-2005, 12:33 AM   #73
    Dr. Strangelove
    MeinFührerIcanwalk!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'm back again - I'm having the same problem. It's driving me crazy. I'm using Azureus, I've got my d/l capped at 70kb and my u/l capped at 20kb. I've tried changing the port I'm using. I've tried limiting how many seeds and leechers I'm connecting to. Yet, everytime, it downloads for a little while, then it hits a brick wall, stops downloading, and cuts my connection completely (bit torrent, internet, e-mail, everything). I'm baffled - anyone have any ideas? Thanks!
    Not really sure what's causing this then. Are you downloading several torrents at once? That can really tax your connection. Also, could it be your ISP? Mine is famous for occasionally dropping my connection for a minute or two every now and then. It really gets on my nerves. You don't really notice it while surfing, but when downloading it's obvious.
    Old 06-16-2005, 03:32 PM   #74
    silver02wrx

Shows Seen: 1

DMB Hub Stubs: 3

My Tour Central Stats

um im kinda retarded but ill ask anyway. Ive downloaded a show with azureus and I double click it and it gives me all the files. However I cannot play the files for some reason. It sends me to choose wat program to open it with and nothing will work. The files end in .flac. Thanks
    Old 06-16-2005, 04:43 PM   #75
    Dr. Strangelove
    MeinFührerIcanwalk!

My Tour Central Stats

Make sure the show is done downloading, first of all. As soon as you start the torrent, the files will appear on your computer but will not be done downloading (you cannot download 1 gig in 2 seconds ).

Then you can use a program like http://www.foobar2000.org/ to play the files or get a plugin for winamp or use something else.
    Old 06-16-2005, 07:32 PM   #76
    ltemp56

Shows Seen: 55

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

I'm trying to download the 6-1-05 show with Azureus, and nothing is really happening for me. A red face in the corner says im not connected to any peers, but it says 0 (27) seeds. Am I doing something wrong?
    Old 06-16-2005, 07:59 PM   #77
    Dr. Strangelove
    MeinFührerIcanwalk!

My Tour Central Stats

Peers are other people downloading the show, as you are, so if you're the only one, then there won't be others listed. Seeds are supplying the show to you, and are what matter most. 0 (27) means it's seeing 27 seeds, but you aren't connected to any yet. It can take a little while to connect, so give it a few minutes.

If you don't download anything after a little while, check your firewall.
    Old 06-16-2005, 09:09 PM   #78
    d+ter
    dahhhhhhh

Shows Seen: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    This looks like it was the cause. When I eased it down, it seemed to solve the problem. Thanks for the advice.
    you may or may not want to switch BT programs but i use azureus and it has a plugin called "autospeed" that pings a dns server and automatically adjusts your max up/down speeds for you to maximize both ups and downs.

russ

http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

http://azureus.sourceforge.net/plugi...ugin=autospeed
    Old 06-16-2005, 09:19 PM   #79
    d+ter
    dahhhhhhh

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by russell.goerend
    you may or may not want to switch BT programs but i use azureus and it has a plugin called "autospeed" that pings a dns server and automatically adjusts your max up/down speeds for you to maximize both ups and downs.

russ

http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

http://azureus.sourceforge.net/plugi...ugin=autospeed
    sorry, the only reason i say you might want to switch is that that plugin does all the changing around of maxes for you and it does it precisely. that's all.
    Old 06-17-2005, 03:35 AM   #80
    brett1020

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

What happens if you shut down Azureus in the middle of downloading a show? Do you have to start over again from the beginning, or can you pick up where you left off at another time?

Just wondering, b/c I'm downloading a D&T show today, and I'm going away for the weekend, and I don't think it will be finished by the time I have to leave, and I don't really want to leave my PC running all weekend unattended (sorry for the run-on sentence...)

Thanks,
    B
    Old 06-17-2005, 09:31 AM   #81
    d+ter
    dahhhhhhh

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brett1020
    What happens if you shut down Azureus in the middle of downloading a show? Do you have to start over again from the beginning, or can you pick up where you left off at another time?

Just wondering, b/c I'm downloading a D&T show today, and I'm going away for the weekend, and I don't think it will be finished by the time I have to leave, and I don't really want to leave my PC running all weekend unattended (sorry for the run-on sentence...)

Thanks,
    B
    it'll be fine, as long as there are still seeds there when you get back. when you launch azureus again it will check to see what pieces you have downloaded and start from there.

it works the same way as say you are done downloading a show and you have it on your computer and you are surfing around on dreamingtree. if you see that a show that you have on your computer is low on seeds or doesn't have any seeds but has some leechers (people downloading it) then those leechers won't ever get the show unless a seed jumps back on. if you still have the show on your harddrive and haven't changed anything about it then you can download that torrent again and when it asks where to save the show point it to the same folder that the show you already have is is. azureus will go all the way through checking your show and then you can seed it so the other people can get the show as well.

i hope that makes sense.

the short answer to your question is yes you will be fine.

russ
    Old 06-17-2005, 03:34 PM   #82
    dmblynny
    FLY EAGLES FLY

Shows Seen: 100

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

I kinda have a stupid question. ha

SO I am very new to this and thanks to Chase I am going to try to start DLing shows (very excited about this!!!) SO I went to the Azerus website and it said to DL Java before. I DLed Java and now do I have to DL Azerus?? I am confused... I appreciate the help!
    Old 06-17-2005, 04:02 PM   #83
    Dr. Strangelove
    MeinFührerIcanwalk!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dmblynny
    I kinda have a stupid question. ha

SO I am very new to this and thanks to Chase I am going to try to start DLing shows (very excited about this!!!) SO I went to the Azerus website and it said to DL Java before. I DLed Java and now do I have to DL Azerus?? I am confused... I appreciate the help!
    Yeah, Azureus runs in Java, so you have to have Java installed for it to work. Install Java, then install Azureus.
    Old 06-17-2005, 04:03 PM   #84
    dmblynny
    FLY EAGLES FLY

Shows Seen: 100

DMB Hub Stubs: 29

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah, Azureus runs in Java, so you have to have Java installed for it to work. Install Java, then install Azureus.
    thank you I am on my way... thanks a lot!
    Old 06-17-2005, 04:44 PM   #85
    d+ter
    dahhhhhhh

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    hey strangelove,

you run azureus right? when i have azureus running, my javaw.exe process (in the task manager) can get up 60megs...my buddy that runs it says his tops out at 40. any idea why mine gets so high? i have a gig of ram, but i have azureus running all the time seeding stuff and that javaw.exe just eats up my ram.

-russ
    Old 06-17-2005, 04:48 PM   #86
    Dr. Strangelove
    MeinFührerIcanwalk!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    hey strangelove,

you run azureus right? when i have azureus running, my javaw.exe process (in the task manager) can get up 60megs...my buddy that runs it says his tops out at 40. any idea why mine gets so high? i have a gig of ram, but i have azureus running all the time seeding stuff and that javaw.exe just eats up my ram.

-russ
    Yeah, any BT program will eat up the RAM. You could fiddle with it's priority in XP to try to cut down the use of RAM. Open task manager to do this and see if it works.
    Old 06-17-2005, 05:18 PM   #87
    d+ter
    dahhhhhhh

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Yeah, any BT program will eat up the RAM. You could fiddle with it's priority in XP to try to cut down the use of RAM. Open task manager to do this and see if it works.
    i've never messed with priority before...what exactly does it do? will azureus still work the same?

-russ
    Old 06-17-2005, 05:23 PM   #88
    Dr. Strangelove
    MeinFührerIcanwalk!

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    i've never messed with priority before...what exactly does it do? will azureus still work the same?

-russ
    It lowers the resources (RAM and such) that the program uses. You may see a hit in the program's performance, though. It's worth trying, I guess. You can always just change it back. I generally don't play with it much, myself. If I'm going to be doing something that takes a lot of power (like gaming or something), I usually just turn off Az. then turn it back on when I'm done.
    Old 06-17-2005, 10:46 PM   #89
    Gary

Shows Seen: 71

DMB Hub Stubs: 20

My Tour Central Stats

FYI you can reset your passkey in your profile on dreamingtree and not have to wait. Of course you will need to re-download any torrent files.
    Old 06-18-2005, 08:16 AM   #90
    d+ter
    dahhhhhhh

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gary
    FYI you can reset your passkey in your profile on dreamingtree and not have to wait. Of course you will need to re-download any torrent files.
    not have to wait for what?