***Official WPB 2014 Thread*** - Page 16 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 07-21-2014, 08:04 AM   #451
krobinson_3232

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 13

My Tour Central Stats

Re: ***Official WPB 2014 Thread***

West Palm is usually a fun time, I think it gets a great reputation because its had solid sets the past years, when you consider how the other shows that tour year had gone. Bad touring years, 2012, have still gotten good shows, considering how bad the others were. N2 2012 would have been an average show in 2013, but in 2012, it was one of the best.

Then if you want to go by the Almanac "rarity" rating, N2 is usually in the top few shows. Finally, its the only two night stand in the south so it becomes the destination venue for people who are too far from SPAC, Alpine, Gorge. I think Atlanta should be a two night stand since its packed every year, but lakewood is the worst ampitheatre Ive ever been to, so I dont see that happening.

I've been to Alpine, and while the feeling inside the venue is on a level of its own, the people and the tailgating before the show isn't as good as WPB, to me anyway. I think that also helps boost the venues reputation. The tailgate area of alpine I was in was extremely different to WPB, everyone kept to themselves and didn't really interact with other fans, which is cool if thats the type of tailgate you like

West Palms tailgate is more of a party, which is a more fun tailgate for me. The people seemed more friendly and tailgates combined and its a lot more fun. It may have been the area of Alpine's lot I was in, or tailgating might just be different at venues that aren't in the south, but I prefer the tailgate I get at West Palm, which is why I keep going.

And finally, best news from this weekend, two shows without a Jimi Thing after seeing it at like 6 in a row. Thats a win for me
krobinson_3232 is offline   Reply With Quote

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 07-21-2014, 08:22 AM   #452
    CrushLive
    #dmb2encores

Shows Seen: 136

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

after living in south florida for the 06-08 shows I don't have a NEED to go back. I'd only go cause of friends/an ants party.

the venue is cookie cutter and not a destination venue (sure it has the beach but the venue itself is in the middle of boring suburban sprawl). I really don't know many northerners or mid-westerners who want to go to Florida in the dead of summer when it's hot and humid and we have similar weather up north (though not as bad). now if the show was in like late april, early may that would probably be more appealing.

as jake said, it used to get some very good shows, for whatever reason in the past few years they've just been mediocre. ...what a kick in the balls it is to get a Thank You Reprise in the encore

9/4/16 - Columbia River Survivor - Never Forget!

Hello Again Part 2: SPAC
    CrushLive is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-21-2014, 08:25 AM   #453
    CrushLive
    #dmb2encores

Shows Seen: 136

DMB Hub Stubs: 32

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by krobinson_3232 View Post
    West Palm is usually a fun time, I think it gets a great reputation because its had solid sets the past years, when you consider how the other shows that tour year had gone. Bad touring years, 2012, have still gotten good shows, considering how bad the others were. N2 2012 would have been an average show in 2013, but in 2012, it was one of the best.

Then if you want to go by the Almanac "rarity" rating, N2 is usually in the top few shows. Finally, its the only two night stand in the south so it becomes the destination venue for people who are too far from SPAC, Alpine, Gorge. I think Atlanta should be a two night stand since its packed every year, but lakewood is the worst ampitheatre Ive ever been to, so I dont see that happening.

I've been to Alpine, and while the feeling inside the venue is on a level of its own, the people and the tailgating before the show isn't as good as WPB, to me anyway. I think that also helps boost the venues reputation. The tailgate area of alpine I was in was extremely different to WPB, everyone kept to themselves and didn't really interact with other fans, which is cool if thats the type of tailgate you like

West Palms tailgate is more of a party, which is a more fun tailgate for me. The people seemed more friendly and tailgates combined and its a lot more fun. It may have been the area of Alpine's lot I was in, or tailgating might just be different at venues that aren't in the south, but I prefer the tailgate I get at West Palm, which is why I keep going.

And finally, best news from this weekend, two shows without a Jimi Thing after seeing it at like 6 in a row. Thats a win for me
    one note on "rarity"...it will always be skewed towards later in the tour when you have songs pops up that weren't "in play" at the beginning of the tour. rarity in the long run doesn't mean much when it could be based on song selection. give me The Stone and Pig every show and keep Angel (w/ the ladies) to one play...preferably at Alpine

9/4/16 - Columbia River Survivor - Never Forget!

Hello Again Part 2: SPAC
    CrushLive is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-21-2014, 08:29 AM   #454
    krobinson_3232

Shows Seen: 36

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrushLive View Post
    one note on "rarity"...it will always be skewed towards later in the tour when you have songs pops up that weren't "in play" at the beginning of the tour. rarity in the long run doesn't mean much when it could be based on song selection. give me The Stone and Pig every show and keep Angel (w/ the ladies) to one play...preferably at Alpine
    Yea I get that thats why I said "if you want to go on that" and put rarity in quotes. I don't use it, but it might offer a sort of explanation of why its gotten a reputation. The rarity shows more of a, they play songs they havent been playing, instead of they play songs they should be. Like this weekend "mercy" bumped up the rarity, but it isn't a stone or something.
    krobinson_3232 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-21-2014, 08:38 AM   #455
    Jake

Shows Seen: 61

DMB Hub Stubs: 19

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SeekUpTheCubs View Post
    If you take all five songs the ladies were on each night and mixed then throughout the shows both those shows become way better but five straight to end it both nights is horse shit. They've done it likev7 times now and both nights in Chicago I saw were exactly the same. Really disappointing. Also I've seen Grey Street close so many times this tour and I hate that

Up until the ladies both shows were awesome

Where my lover lay down Dave?
    You never know?
    12 shows and no pay for what you get?

I've had an awesome tour but the ladies are taking away the real excitement.
    I wouldn't consider Mercy & WAYG part of anything awesome
    Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-21-2014, 09:35 AM   #456
    ajjb21

Shows Seen: 25

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Mojo Risin View Post
    Overall only 3 BW tunes, no cornbread, Jimi. I'll take R&R, Recently, Stone, Raven, LBV, Pig.... I go in with no expectations so I think that helps.
    Normally all of that (especially only 3 BW tunes) would have translated to this being two epic shows but even with all of that happening there's no getting past the predictability of LL's sets or feeling like we missed a bunch of other good stuff that's been played this summer in both the acoustic and electric sets!
    ajjb21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-21-2014, 10:07 AM   #457
    HoldemHart
    Love This Goofy Bastard

Shows Seen: 85

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AllifromOhio View Post
    Kind of disappointed in the venue and song selection. Not really sure what the hype is all about at this place. Venue is old. Palm trees are pretty but that's only because I don't get to see them everyday. Traffic getting out was nice and easy but we left during the end of the last song each night so if we stayed fully, it could have been different. I enjoyed SPAC song selection more this year as far as big venues go. Overall, I'm glad I went and experienced it. However, I don't think I'll ever be making the 1,100 mile trip back down.
    Quote:
    I left during Why I Am and Grey Street, not a big deal. I don't know how well you can hear, but my ears can hear the songs being played from other places than in my seat. Heard everything on the way to the car.

Are you serious, Clark? People talk WPB up all the time. "It's in the Big 5 of venues." "It's better than SPAC." "It's the SPAC of the south." Jake talks it up a lot even. This has been going on for 4 or so years. I don't mind hot weather so that didn't really bother me but I agree they need to switch New England with Florida schedules.
    Quote:
    Never understood getting so pissed when somebody doesn't like what you do.
    You all need not be so defensive of "your" venue.

LL added to the shows for me, only one I would take away was Can't Stop.
    Fans can be really cool and close and kind at any venue/city, I don't think this city is any better than some others at that. Charlottesville has to be the one that stands out to me the most.
    I'm going to go ahead and put you down in the "maybe" column for West Palm Beach 2015.
    HoldemHart is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-21-2014, 10:42 AM   #458
    wnsthalastime

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SeekUpTheCubs View Post
    If you take all five songs the ladies were on each night and mixed then throughout the shows both those shows become way better but five straight to end it both nights is horse shit. They've done it likev7 times now and both nights in Chicago I saw were exactly the same. Really disappointing. Also I've seen Grey Street close so many times this tour and I hate that

Up until the ladies both shows were awesome

Where my lover lay down Dave?
    You never know?
    12 shows and no pay for what you get?

I've had an awesome tour but the ladies are taking away the real excitement.
    Damn actually agree with you on those songs...I desperately wanted em too but you know what's rad? We always got next year and I like having something to look forward to!
    wnsthalastime is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-21-2014, 02:32 PM   #459
    ukcanes

Shows Seen: 94

DMB Hub Stubs: 24

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Antiramie View Post
    I don't have nearly as much a problem with the LL themselves than knowing pretty much the exact songs that will be played when they show up (which almost all happen to be disappointing ones this tour).

I'm most likely going to enjoy a great song no matter who is guesting. There's little chance even a great guest will sway my vote on a mediocre/poor one.
    Yup I'm with you about a guest making or breaking a song. And as you mentioned the worst part of the LLs is the predictability. Thankfully we got IOY N2.
    ukcanes is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-21-2014, 03:02 PM   #460
    jeremyc74

Shows Seen: 39

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

I have a good time at a Dave show no matter what, but I'm on board with everyone who thinks the last couple of years haven't been as good as some earlier shows. I also think the concession management at the venue needs a kick in the head. They were out of food by the time the second set started up, and I was drunk and hungry and really wanted one of those sorry ass overpriced slices of pizza. I had to have something and ended up with a tub of popcorn, and woke up the next day feeling like I'd liked a salt block for two hours.
    jeremyc74 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-21-2014, 04:59 PM   #461
    dmbolp
    GO GATORS!!!

Shows Seen: 150

DMB Hub Stubs: 35

My Tour Central Stats

Love the venue...correct size pit and one of the great venues for people-watching...walk the path between reserve and lawn
    Old 07-21-2014, 05:00 PM   #462
    bfox2718

My Tour Central Stats

Anybody get good video after sledgehammer or why I am on n1? I got a set list and autograph and I want to see the video of it.
    bfox2718 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-21-2014, 06:01 PM   #463
    made2heal

Shows Seen: 49

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    WPB had a real nice run from 2007 -2010 that built it's rep as a place to travel to shows to attend; you get the beach and great shows. Now, you get the beach, and it's fucking hot.

but after 2012-2014 it's hard to justify it as a destination location (and I really liked the 2012 shows)

something is wrong with your stats; it says you attended the 2010 shows, yet you say that this year is the best Florida run you've ever experienced... those two things don't work together.
    Yes, I've been every Florida Show since 1998... I've seen the best of the best, Some incredible Watchtower and Two Step finales, 2007 SU&D with the only outro of it's kind ever, 2010 return of Last Stop and good good time out of no where. However this year, I was just hoping to hear Sweet and whatever song they through our way. Hearing Sweet 3 nights in a row was amazing to me, because I think it is one of the greatest song writes ever made lyrically and structurally. In fact, looking at the sets prior to the FL dates, I was excited to know Stolen Away was back in action! I didn't even know the Lovely Ladies were going to be here, I thought the North got a special treat and that was it. I use to take them for granted back in the day, but this time they sounded so so smooth working with and against Dave's Voice. I enjoyed every note I heard from them this time and it was amazing. I also met some of the most amazing humble down to earth new found friends all across the lawn including a girl that stole my heart after she danced with me to Crush then wanted to just lay on me for the end of the set. Then for the finally, we got up and I danced again for Good Good Time and jumped all over the place with Grey Street. And the Beach!!!! For all the people that don't get the full aspect of WPB. It's a great ocean at your doorstep before and after seeing a DMB show, I mean C'mon. The only regret was that I didn't get the girl's name or number. She was one out of a group of four, I think she said from Savannah Georgia and one other of her friends was named Heather. Not going to hang on it though, the memory will be mine forever, but if they ever found this post, I would be so grateful Thank DMB for keeping it going... One Sweet Good Good Ride!

Last edited by made2heal; 07-21-2014 at 06:03 PM.
    made2heal is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-21-2014, 06:11 PM   #464
    made2heal

My Tour Central Stats

Oh, and did we mention ....Loving Wings...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! C'mon, F'kin Loving Wings. Such a pretty song!
    Old 07-21-2014, 06:35 PM   #465
    ajjb21

Shows Seen: 25

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by made2heal View Post
    Yes, I've been every Florida Show since 1998... I've seen the best of the best, Some incredible Watchtower and Two Step finales, 2007 SU&D with the only outro of it's kind ever, 2010 return of Last Stop and good good time out of no where. However this year, I was just hoping to hear Sweet and whatever song they through our way. Hearing Sweet 3 nights in a row was amazing to me, because I think it is one of the greatest song writes ever made lyrically and structurally. In fact, looking at the sets prior to the FL dates, I was excited to know Stolen Away was back in action! I didn't even know the Lovely Ladies were going to be here, I thought the North got a special treat and that was it. I use to take them for granted back in the day, but this time they sounded so so smooth working with and against Dave's Voice. I enjoyed every note I heard from them this time and it was amazing. I also met some of the most amazing humble down to earth new found friends all across the lawn including a girl that stole my heart after she danced with me to Crush then wanted to just lay on me for the end of the set. Then for the finally, we got up and I danced again for Good Good Time and jumped all over the place with Grey Street. And the Beach!!!! For all the people that don't get the full aspect of WPB. It's a great ocean at your doorstep before and after seeing a DMB show, I mean C'mon. The only regret was that I didn't get the girl's name or number. She was one out of a group of four, I think she said from Savannah Georgia and one other of her friends was named Heather. Not going to hang on it though, the memory will be mine forever, but if they ever found this post, I would be so grateful Thank DMB for keeping it going... One Sweet Good Good Ride!
    I definitely picked the wrong lawn spot lol
    ajjb21 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-21-2014, 11:59 PM   #466
    rkcrawf

Shows Seen: 14

My Tour Central Stats

If one goes to a bunch of the shows, year after year, and doesn't hear the 1 or 2 songs they want, I don't get how they can be angry. It's pretty close to random at that point, and it's your own fault for expecting to hear that 1 song. That said, I definitely preferred N2 to N1 this year. Ending an encore in WHy I Am is just wrong (unless it's in Bristow, VA or LeRoi's bday). I saw they crossed out Jimi, and I would have preferred to lose another song. I also thought there was a bit to much of the Lovely Ladies. But I'm not mad about any of it, as I had a damn good time. If you were upset, I feel bad that your experience wasn't enjoyable. Hopefully, you keep trying.

I always love the WPB shows and prefer it over the few other venues I have easy access to. The Gorge and SPAC probably aren't happening, and I hope to do a Charlottesville show at some point. But considering the band is from VA, there aren't any good venues in the DC area that hold a candle to WPB. The tailgating vibe in WPB is awesome. The people are friendly and the staff has always been relatively cool. They let us switch the cars around to our liking, staff helped us with our tent, offered garbage bags, and came by to pick up trash repeatedly. There's lots of grass and the lines for the porta-johns weren't too bad. Compared to Bristow, VA where a) they tried to ban tailgates a few years ago, b) there's no grass and c) I've seen police dogs after the show sniffing for the good stuff. This year, I saw strangers/neighbors freely sharing electricity, booze, food, and games. And most importantly, inside the show, people are chill...especially on the lawn. And traffic isn't horrible, unlike some venues.

On/off, when I can, I skip the DC show and fly to WPB to see both nights. If you're a free bird and have the luxury to see the band many times, I could see other places being better. But if you want 2 nights in one spot, West Palm is a great choice.
    rkcrawf is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-23-2014, 03:09 PM   #467
    wnsthalastime

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Oh, and did we mention ....Loving Wings...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! C'mon, F'kin Loving Wings. Such a pretty song!

RIGHT ON DUDE!!!! My first ever Dave show was WPB when they played it the first time! So cool for it to come full circle...obviously one of the reasons I love the venue so much too. Nostalgia and planes just kinda add a little extra something to a Dave show I guess.
    wnsthalastime is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-23-2014, 04:04 PM   #468
    made2heal

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wnsthalastime View Post
    RIGHT ON DUDE!!!! My first ever Dave show was WPB when they played it the first time! So cool for it to come full circle...obviously one of the reasons I love the venue so much too. Nostalgia and planes just kinda add a little extra something to a Dave show I guess.
    Oh yes, the planes. They were definitely looked upon even more this weekend with thoughts going out to the accident. I thought of it too late, but maybe next year, the lawn attendants should campaign to yell out "PLAAAAAANE!" Every time one goes over head. And it would last from the front to the back throwing off the band a little. Maybe it would become a fun thing, LOL. I'd love to see Dave's reaction to the crowd doing that.
    Old 07-23-2014, 04:35 PM   #469
    Psirix

Shows Seen: 20

DMB Hub Stubs: 9

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobgeldof View Post
    Let's hope Eric delivers once again, his tape from N1 sounded great.
    I haven't seen the 7/19 WPB show posted still and it's Wednesday. Anyone find it yet anywhere?
    Old 07-23-2014, 07:58 PM   #470
    littlest_viking
    Proud black sheep fan

Shows Seen: 38

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psirix View Post
    I haven't seen the 7/19 WPB show posted still and it's Wednesday. Anyone find it yet anywhere?
    I said the same thing, I have been seeding the Friday show all week too.
    Old 07-25-2014, 01:18 PM   #471
    elmachobaracho

Shows Seen: 46

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Still holding my breath waiting on someone to share a 7/19 recording. I've probably refreshed dreamingtree a dozen times a day in anticipation.
    elmachobaracho is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-26-2014, 05:58 AM   #472
    DrewD55

Shows Seen: 27

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psirix View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by littlest_viking View Post
    I said the same thing, I have been seeding the Friday show all week too.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elmachobaracho View Post
    Still holding my breath waiting on someone to share a 7/19 recording. I've probably refreshed dreamingtree a dozen times a day in anticipation.
    As far as I know, the two-week rule on requesting tapes still applies on dreamingtree. The tapers have other things to do in their lives besides getting their tapes onto the internet, so give it a damn minute. I stand by what I said last week: there were at least two stands in the crowd. It'll come out eventually.
    Old 07-26-2014, 06:33 AM   #473
    hettbeans

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    This is too funny... I spent all of night 2 last year dancing with a chick down with a group from Savannah GA, also didn't get her name or number as her group made her leave when Two Step started and I was too busy rocking out. Wonder if it's the same girl?
    hettbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-26-2014, 10:15 AM   #474
    ThatLetter

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

I know Eric was there because he commented somewhere that he would be. And I saw rigs as well. It's probably not anything he's going to be in a rush to upload given it's the same show they've played 20 times this summer. But I'll download it when it shows up.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by scrock25 View Post
    Jesus Christ justink just shut the fuck up for once. Why does everything with you turn into an argument?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blaise34 View Post
    CNN headline - Court gives baker narrow win in gay wedding cake case
    7-2 is narrow now
    ThatLetter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-28-2014, 04:18 PM   #475
    ThatLetter

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 8

My Tour Central Stats

Night 2 is up on Dreamingtree. Thanks to Eric!
    ThatLetter is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-29-2014, 10:30 PM   #476
    Danwack
    Gator Nation

Shows Seen: 42

My Tour Central Stats

Has anybody who ordered the N2 poster or the poster/shirt combo from the Warehouse received theirs yet? Or even a shipment notification? Just curious.
    Danwack is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-30-2014, 09:33 AM   #477
    DMBSunGoddess

Shows Seen: 50

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Danwack View Post
    Has anybody who ordered the N2 poster or the poster/shirt combo from the Warehouse received theirs yet? Or even a shipment notification? Just curious.
    I ordered N1 and haven't received anything yet!
    DMBSunGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-30-2014, 07:44 PM   #478
    rhinob59

Shows Seen: 26

DMB Hub Stubs: 11

My Tour Central Stats

Emailed about my poster orders today. Response was that they are back ordered and will ship in 1 to 4 weeks. How does a limited run poster get back ordered???
    rhinob59 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 07-31-2014, 08:07 AM   #479
    made2heal

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhinob59 View Post
    Emailed about my poster orders today. Response was that they are back ordered and will ship in 1 to 4 weeks. How does a limited run poster get back ordered???
    At the least, I believe this is a good reason to back order. It's not too far out from the show and maybe everyone that really really wants one will get the chance and then after this then cut it off. A last chance if you will. Way to go. I got mine at the show, but it was one of the last ones at the booth and the line was still crazy. I think everyone that goes to the show should have a shot at a poster!
    Old 07-31-2014, 08:34 AM   #480
    littlest_viking
    Proud black sheep fan

Shows Seen: 38

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrewD55 View Post
    As far as I know, the two-week rule on requesting tapes still applies on dreamingtree. The tapers have other things to do in their lives besides getting their tapes onto the internet, so give it a damn minute. I stand by what I said last week: there were at least two stands in the crowd. It'll come out eventually.
    I gave it a damn minute & it felt amazing, thanks Drew.