Weightlifting - Page 127 - Antsmarching.org Forums - Dave Matthews Band Discussion
Old 03-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #3781
fridge112887
William Perry

Shows Seen: 13

DMB Hub Stubs: 7

My Tour Central Stats

Re: Weightlifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoot388 View Post
i recently started working at a gym and employees get a free membership. i was never really one for working out, but i want to take advantage of having everything at my disposal for free. i talked to the trainer today and he set me up with a program, and while i need to meet with him again to discuss some details, i figured i'd ask you guys for some suggestions and opinions.

the diet/nutrition part of the program is going to be the biggest obstacle for me. he wants me eating a big breakfast, a medium sized lunch, a small dinner, a snack, and a protein shake every day and taking in at least 3,000 calories. of course, that is the exact opposite of how i normally eat. breakfast is rare as i usually don't wake up until almost lunch time, and dinner is always big, with unhealthy snacking done all night.

he said i need to be eating a lot of eggs, chicken, turkey, greens, whole grains, etc, which i'm fine with eating SOME of the time, but not constantly. there is no way i can cut red meat and potatoes out of my diet.

when i meet with him again we'll talk more about the diet, but i want some suggestions from you guys about what you eat for this kind of diet. breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, everything. i need suggestions for different meals and getting to 3,000+ calories a day.
What he told you, about decreasing your meal sizes, is incorrect. That was the traditional way of thinking. Meal timing and size is rather irrelevant. Just make sure to meet your needs and you're golden. Your food options look good. No need to cut out red meat or potatoes. Personally, when it comes to carbohydrates, I rank potatoes towards the top. Liquid protein isn't necessary if you're intake is adequate (which most male adults meet if not exceed in a day). Make sure you consume healthy fats......various nuts, seeds, olive oils, avocado, etc, etc.

• Want to hide all ads on Ants? Click here
  • Old 03-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #3782
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

Shows Seen: 16

DMB Hub Stubs: 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fridge112887 View Post
    What he told you, about decreasing your meal sizes, is incorrect. That was the traditional way of thinking. Meal timing and size is rather irrelevant. Just make sure to meet your needs and you're golden. Your food options look good. No need to cut out red meat or potatoes. Personally, when it comes to carbohydrates, I rank potatoes towards the top. Liquid protein isn't necessary if you're intake is adequate (which most male adults meet if not exceed in a day). Make sure you consume healthy fats......various nuts, seeds, olive oils, avocado, etc, etc.
    Is this just opinion or is it based on facts somewhere?

Not questioning it, just find it really interesting because I feel like it's really hard to meet protein needs without aid from protein bars or powders. That might just be me though. I have a real difficult time with bumping up the calories. Might be a psychological barrier. Even when eating a lot of healthy food, I feel bogged down and fat. I consider hitting 2400 clean calories a day a lot. That's not really good when I'm trying to put on a bit of muscle and am still probably burning ~100-200 more calories than that number.
    Old 03-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #3783
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

My Tour Central Stats

Also, this dude is corny as hell, but has a lot of great info on his site.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/
    Old 03-08-2012, 04:05 PM   #3784
    Jimi Thing 10

Shows Seen: 22

DMB Hub Stubs: 14

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rodey View Post

Not questioning it, just find it really interesting because I feel like it's really hard to meet protein needs without aid from protein bars or powders. That might just be me though. I have a real difficult time with bumping up the calories. Might be a psychological barrier. Even when eating a lot of healthy food, I feel bogged down and fat. I consider hitting 2400 clean calories a day a lot. That's not really good when I'm trying to put on a bit of muscle and am still probably burning ~100-200 more calories than that number.
    What's your diet look like?
    Jimi Thing 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #3785
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

Fact. Protein needs are as folllows: 0.8g/kg of BW for sedentary, 1.4-1.7g/kg of BW for active, 2.0g/kg of BW for extremely active. I think what throws most people off is that they read 0.8g/lb; therefore, we all round that 0.8 up to 1 and shoot for lbs rather than kg. I won't lie, I've never counted my grams, but I still aim for a high protein intake (most of my favorite foods are protein sufficient).

If you're lacking in kcals, down a cup of macadamia nuts. That cup will provide something like 800 kcals and your good fat. Or, if you want more protein and less kcals, almonds are always helpful.
    Old 03-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #3786
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Also, this dude is corny as hell, but has a lot of great info on his site.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/
    Scooby is a complete clown. His post about raw egg consumption makes me want to
    Old 03-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #3787
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jimi Thing 10 View Post
    What's your diet look like?
    This is everything I ate yesterday:

http://www.fatsecret.com/Diary.aspx?...406&id=3145691

Quote:
    Fact. Protein needs are as folllows: 0.8g/kg of BW for sedentary, 1.4-1.7g/kg of BW for active, 2.0g/kg of BW for extremely active. I think what throws most people off is that they read 0.8g/lb; therefore, we all round that 0.8 up to 1 and shoot for lbs rather than kg. I won't lie, I've never counted my grams, but I still aim for a high protein intake (most of my favorite foods are protein sufficient).

If you're lacking in kcals, down a cup of macadamia nuts. That cup will provide something like 800 kcals and your good fat. Or, if you want more protein and less kcals, almonds are always helpful.

I'm around 1.1g of protein for my body weight (188lbs) and it would be pretty tricky to hit that number without having at least one shake or bar. At least it seems like it would be difficult. I just like the convenience of a shake or bar and both are usually easier to down than some other foods. I try not to rely on them too much, but they're definitely a staple.
    Old 03-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #3788
    Jimi Thing 10

My Tour Central Stats

You're trying to lean out, correct?
    Old 03-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #3789
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    This is everything I ate yesterday:

http://www.fatsecret.com/Diary.aspx?...406&id=3145691

I'm around 1.1g of protein for my body weight (188lbs) and it would be pretty tricky to hit that number without having at least one shake or bar. At least it seems like it would be difficult. I just like the convenience of a shake or bar and both are usually easier to down than some other foods. I try not to rely on them too much, but they're definitely a staple.
    I believe you went by lbs rather than kgs (which is the necessary method). If you were sedentary, your protein requirement would be 68 (188/2.2 = Y; Y x 0.8 = 68). Since you're active and going to the gym, you'd replace 0.8 with 2.0 (which would leave you at 170).
    Old 03-08-2012, 05:35 PM   #3790
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    You're trying to lean out, correct?
    Yes. Trying to lean out and build up my upper body a little.

Quote:
    I believe you went by lbs rather than kgs (which is the necessary method). If you were sedentary, your protein requirement would be 68 (188/2.2 = Y; Y x 0.8 = 68). Since you're active and going to the gym, you'd replace 0.8 with 2.0 (which would leave you at 170).
    This makes sense then, but I still try to be around 200 grams per day.
    Old 03-08-2012, 05:51 PM   #3791
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

This makes sense then, but I still try to be around 200 grams per day.
    No worries. I'm in the same boat
    Old 03-09-2012, 03:57 AM   #3792
    Foreverford05
    Let's go O's!

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

My local gym is already starting to thin out from new years
    Foreverford05 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #3793
    Tiduwho
    heh heh heh

Shows Seen: 0

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Wow. The 2nd half of the Yoga X dvd is a laugh and a half. I got through the first half ok, pretty good stretching, especially for my back.

But those advanced forms are impossible for me at this point. Talk about being ready to fall over. Warrior 3, Twisting moon, Crane??

"And later I talk to former Presidential candidate Gary Hart and tell him how more Democrats should follow his example -- and leave politics."

- Stephen Colbert
    Tiduwho is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-09-2012, 09:41 PM   #3794
    JRS1386
    Heeeeeeeere's Gritty

Shows Seen: 6

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

So this up coming week I am on spring break and plan on running at least 2 miles per day and when I get back to school I plan on actually going to the gym. I know it won't be much, but I am looking to go Monday-Thursday alternating upper body and lower body and then spending Fri-Sun running more and resting. I won't really run on Mon-Thurs because between student teaching, practice and lifting I will be pretty wiped. Does anyone have any suggestions on a routine or some lifts I should incorporate into my workout. I have a pretty limited knowledge of different workout.

Upper Body
    Dumbbell Bench
    Curls
    Lat Pull Downs
    Shoulder Lifts

Lower Body
    Squats
    Lunges
    Leg Press
    Calf Raises
    Step Ups

https://antsmarching.org/forum/showp...stcount=126148
    JRS1386 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-12-2012, 09:42 AM   #3795
    Devilspawn
    Devil's poser ego

Shows Seen: 32

DMB Hub Stubs: 16

My Tour Central Stats

ok, wedding contest and stuff officially over... back to the gym and back on fatsecret today... felt weird entering what I'm going to eat today after not logging for at least 3 weeks... time to get back it in full though...
    Old 03-12-2012, 09:46 AM   #3796
    Rodey
    Fiesta, Forever

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Devilspawn View Post
    ok, wedding contest and stuff officially over... back to the gym and back on fatsecret today... felt weird entering what I'm going to eat today after not logging for at least 3 weeks... time to get back it in full though...
    My one complaint with FatSecret is that it doesn't let you reset the calendar. I've been on and off for a few weeks with being lazy due to all of the basketball on TV. I hate having to see big gaps in the time I took off.
    Old 03-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #3797
    seekupchuck

Shows Seen: 52

DMB Hub Stubs: 21

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tiduwho View Post
    Wow. The 2nd half of the Yoga X dvd is a laugh and a half. I got through the first half ok, pretty good stretching, especially for my back.

But those advanced forms are impossible for me at this point. Talk about being ready to fall over. Warrior 3, Twisting moon, Crane??
    shit is insane...do it 4-5 times and you will see drastic improvementd
    Old 03-12-2012, 12:25 PM   #3798
    Styx Cover Band
    A living tribute to:

DMB Hub Stubs: 1

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foreverford05 View Post
    My local gym is already starting to thin out from new years
    Yep, my gym is finally starting to thin out. I went Saturday at noon and it was dead. I think I'm going to start adding 20 min of cardio to all of my work outs, if I start playing in a basketball league again I want to have some what decent cardio so I'm not dying 10 minutes in.
    Styx Cover Band is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #3799
    ji/\/\ithing
    Missing Roi... Always

Shows Seen: 50

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:

i'm a big time exo, ate like shit for ten years and weigh less than i did in high school. i take in 3000 cals a day, ~170g of protein (75 g from whey powder alone). i've put on 7 pounds in 8 weeks, and i got sick during weeks 5 so i didn't gain anything that week. it's not going to hurt you at all to SUPPLEMENT your protein intake with powder/bars... just don't rely on that for all of your protein. filling your macro nutrient needs should be your second highest priority, after making sure you're on a calorie surplus. it takes roughly 500 cals/day surplus to gain 1 lb per week. you should also be taking in 1.5-2 g protein per lb lean body mass if you're on a bulk.

edit: saw you're on dat dere bulk AND cut... good luck.

Last edited by ji/\/\ithing; 03-12-2012 at 12:56 PM.
    ji/\/\ithing is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #3800
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

Finally was able to push the 100 lbs DB's for chest press. Next goal (by end of August), add 90 lbs to my deadlift (making it 500 total).
    Old 03-12-2012, 05:43 PM   #3801
    Jimi Thing 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Finally was able to push the 100 lbs DB's for chest press. Next goal (by end of August), add 90 lbs to my deadlift (making it 500 total).
    I was finally able to rep 100s on the incline a couple weeks ago too. Felt awesome.

How about a race to 500?
    Old 03-12-2012, 07:49 PM   #3802
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I was finally able to rep 100s on the incline a couple weeks ago too. Felt awesome.

How about a race to 500?
    It's on.

Congrads btw
    Old 03-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #3803
    ji/\/\ithing
    Missing Roi... Always

Shows Seen: 50

DMB Hub Stubs: 22

My Tour Central Stats

you guys aware?
    ji/\/\ithing is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-12-2012, 07:59 PM   #3804
    UNC41
    Gimme Dat

DMB Hub Stubs: 2

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by water_into_wine View Post
    And holy shit, that Ab Ripper killed me. Granted I did it after a run that was tougher than usual, but I only got halfway through and barely at that (was losing a lot of technique so I stopped). I was feeling it mostly in my thighs and hip flexors though. Should I just continue doing it for as long as I can properly or forcing myself through to the end even if I lose technique?
    I break Ab Ripper into four sets of exercises with a minute break between each set.

You white, then you Ben Affleck.
    UNC41 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-12-2012, 08:02 PM   #3805
    Jimi Thing 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    It's on.

Congrads btw
    Same to you.

Video proof of 500 lbs deadlift by the end of August.
    Old 03-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #3806
    water_into_wine

Shows Seen: 2

DMB Hub Stubs: 4

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by UNC41 View Post
    I break Ab Ripper into four sets of exercises with a minute break between each set.
    I might need to do this.

Though, I still am having the problem that I feel/get tired almost immediately in my hip flexors/upper thighs. They simply can't hold their positions by the 4/5th workout. Not even sure if it is really hitting my abs at all.
    water_into_wine is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-12-2012, 08:25 PM   #3807
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Same to you.

Video proof of 500 lbs deadlift by the end of August.
    What's your current best?
    Old 03-12-2012, 08:26 PM   #3808
    Jimi Thing 10

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    What's your current best?
    415 el bee es.
    Old 03-13-2012, 02:53 AM   #3809
    Foreverford05
    Let's go O's!

Shows Seen: 36

DMB Hub Stubs: 15

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    I'm stuck on repping 90. I'm hesitant to go up to 100 just because I don't feel quite ready for it and don't want to overwork/strain anything. I'll probably try 100lbs here in the next two weeks or so.
    Foreverford05 is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 03-13-2012, 06:30 AM   #3810
    fridge112887
    William Perry

My Tour Central Stats

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foreverford05 View Post
    I'm stuck on repping 90. I'm hesitant to go up to 100 just because I don't feel quite ready for it and don't want to overwork/strain anything. I'll probably try 100lbs here in the next two weeks or so.
    I hadn't tried the 100's before yesterday. I had just finished 95 and went for a walk around the track and ran into my good friend (so of course, we chatted for a solid 20-30 minutes). Knowing I had a decent rest in-between sets, I went for the 100s. You'd be surprised what you can manage when you really push yourself.